[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What point in history was the strongest future shock?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
What point in history was the strongest future shock?
>>
The late 1800s to the early 1900s
>>
Neolithic agricultural revolution.
>>
1900-1970
>>
Splitting the atom.
>>
>be born in a rural town in the 1880's
>all horse and buggy and a steam train once or twice a week
>die in the mid 1960's
>nuclear bombs, cars, jets, promise of space travel, earliest computers, supersonic travel, nuclear submarines, nuclear power
>>
>>787588
Probably sometime in the August of 1914.
>>
>>787732
>computers

The average person didn't know shit about computers pretty much until the late 70s and early 80s.
>>
first contact with a hunter gatherer tribe, the andaman islanders will be the last probably

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pintupi_Nine
>>
>>787747
still, you could be born in some rural town without electricity, phones, or any modern amenities and live to see not just the dawn of powered flight but the moon landing. It's crazy.
>>
>>787763
There's a photo of a civil war veteran standing next to a jet fighter, sometime in the 50's.
>>
>>787732
Yeah, exactly this. You'd see both World Wars, if you were a European man you might end up in some far flung corner of the world building an empire, you'd experience the invention of film and television and the golden age of radio, and so much more. I mean, the great depression and maybe being drafted in one of the many wars of the period would be rough (along with the Spanish flu or polio or any of the other million things you'd be exposed to).

Honestly though I think the generation that is really going to experience the most rapid, shocking technological growth will be millenials. It'll be interesting to see how discourses and perceptions change with huge technological leaps like VR, which to me feels like of like it might end up being analogous to the printing press or the television.
>>
>>787770
I don't know, but your post reminded me of a crazy fact I learned:

The last time the Cubs won the World Series, the Ottoman Empire still existed.
>>
File: patrick_star_by_neopie.jpg (82 KB, 900x572) Image search: [Google]
patrick_star_by_neopie.jpg
82 KB, 900x572
>>787807
>The last time the Cubs won the World Series, the Ottoman Empire still existed

that'd make a great shitpost for /sp/
>>
>>787732
>born in Japan in 1860
>watch your feudal society rapidly industrialize and open up to the world
>watch your nation kick the Chinese to the fucking curb and take the dominant position in Asia
>watch the emperor's cult grow and grow with the empire
>watch the empire die in nuclear hellfire
>watch Japan rebuild itself from the ashes like a phoenix
>die as Japan begins to take its position as the economic and technological powerhouse of Asia once again

That has the biggest cultural shock. At least America had the same government.
>>
>>787822
They do it all the time tbqh. There's a whole list of things that happened since the last time the Cubs won the world series.
>>
>>787822

Oh trust me people post it all the time
>>
If you don't say WW1 you're an idiot.
>>
>>787588
A Frenchman who experienced the revolution and the following 25 years of Napoleon wars would be a top contender too. Seeing the death of monarchy and rise of the citizens rights.

Not really technological but societal that's a massive change.
>>
>>787822
>>787836
>>787847
>the last time the Cubs won the World Series the Emperor Meiji still ruled Japan
>the last time the Cubs won the World Series Pu Yi still sat on the throne of China
>>
>>787739
This. The ships that made the British Navy the most powerful navy in the world in 1913 were outclassed in every way in 1915
>>
>>787836
>born in Japan 1860s
>consider yourself a small nation with noble samurais
>remove samurai from power and start industrializing
>defeat russian navy and become a world power
>think world will be egalitarian and propose racial equality
>get rejected by league of nations
>fuck it, if the whites dont want equability, we'll show superiority
>repel the white menace in asia and free up neighbors
>ally with white country that believes in racial superiority
>get in fight with america and get destroyed
>rebuild and become a economic power
>die knowing the country has come a long way to become a powerhouse

People 100+ in Japan have experienced this.
>>
File: download (2).jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
7 KB, 225x225
>>787588
EASILY the fact that in last few decades we have developed electromagnetics to the point we can pick up reverse-engineered thoughts as material vibrations from the human body. At least insofar as sociological reprecussions go. Global revolution.

Big brother knows your every thought. Buy guns & silver. (and drugs - cannabis #$!1)
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.