[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was the American revolution really a revolution or just the war
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
Was the American revolution really a revolution or just the war of independence?
>>
>>787123
>all men are equal
>except slaves
>also natives
How revolutionary and progressive.
>>
>>787148
Well it was pretty progressive for the 1770s.
>>
>>787123
War of independence. The end result was just an oligarchic pseudo-democracy, where the same landed gentry that had power before the war, had the exact same, if not more, power after the war.
>>
>2200
>projected
>a near 2 century projection

Ok Nostradamus.
>>
>>787155
It would have been if they actually followed that idea

>only the landed gentry can vote
>and their votes are only determined by a college of people who vote for them
>senators are basically the only politicians actually elected by the people
>>
>>787155
No everything in history has to be exactly like or better than what I view as progressive now.
>>
>>787161
This
The French revolution was, for europe and the world, way more importend then the american.
>>
>>787171
>senators are basically the only politicians actually elected by the people
I assume you mean representatives?
>>
>>787148
>south major military boost
>uses slave labor the most
>all the colonies fighting for the war is better than half
You need to pick your battles.
>>
>>787176
But it was in part inspired by the American one.
I still find it more important but marginally.
>>
File: anime girl question mark.jpg (73 KB, 458x366) Image search: [Google]
anime girl question mark.jpg
73 KB, 458x366
>>787171
>senators
>elected by the people
>>
>>787176
Honestly I'm still not sold on the whole concept of popular democracy. Since most democratic systems either tend to devolve to blatant oligarchies, or just flat out start they way, I think it would be better if you just started with an oligarchy, made sure there were robust protections for the underclasses and plenty of social mobility to allow new blood into the aristocracy, along with strict cultural and moral obligations on said aristocracy. Hopefully it'd be better that the moronic populist demagoguery we get in our current system, if their is one thing that has been proven over and over again through out history, it's that unwashed masses are general stupid, bigoted, fearful, and, at times, homicidal.
>>
>>787208
>muh elitism
>>
File: freestates.gif (100 KB, 774x468) Image search: [Google]
freestates.gif
100 KB, 774x468
>>787123
yes, it was a revolution, in the far North slavery was abolished decades before the britbongs abolished it, property requirements to vote were very low
>>
>>787212
>implying I'm not a pleb
I'm just tired of watching the mob be lead around by political aristocrats, selling them the moon, then acting surprised when they don't get it, and said politicians just does the same shit every preceding politician does, and everyone tries to convince themselves that it's the will of the people or that they'll get the actual will of the people done with the next guy.
>>
>>787123
How do you define revolution?
>>
>>787221
And so you want the mob to lead around by political aristocrats, hoping that they will allow new blood into their mix, even when it is not the interest of the political aristocrats to do so? That is equally stupid desu senpai
>>
File: qdCuOIk.jpg (588 KB, 2151x1606) Image search: [Google]
qdCuOIk.jpg
588 KB, 2151x1606
>>787148
Just imagine...

A modern US with a predominant native population, whites and blacks are minorities who have the same social status as Mexicans in our timeline...
>>
>>787171
No they are voted by state representatives.

The landed gentry, the only people can vote, did not vote directly either. They voted for electoral collages who are supposed to represent their vote at the state level.
>>
>>787858
Yes but at least it's honest.
>>
File: 1429144393267.jpg (2 MB, 3112x2338) Image search: [Google]
1429144393267.jpg
2 MB, 3112x2338
>>787123
It was a civil war. People who considered themselves Englishmen fought people who considered themselves Englishmen over disagreements about taxation and representation in Parliament, and the implicit political repercussions of said representation or lack thereof in matters beyond taxation. Notably, the American leaders were landed aristocrats, whereas revolution implies a more class-based conflict.
>>
>>787888
>civil war

They clearly didn't see themselves as Englishmen
>>
>>787867
sounds pretty shitty
>>
>>787123
Colonial rebellion.
>>
>>787148
ludicrous isnt it

>slavery abolished in supposed evil British empire in 1840s
>American civil war over slavery in 1860s
>Boers in Transvaal and OSF still practising slavery in all but name until end of the Boer war

>hurr the British are oppressing us we dindu nuffin we good colonists we just wanna be left in peace to drive negros
>>
>>788447
>implying you actually have a point
Congratulations you spotted a hypocrisy
One that was later corrected.
>>787178
>>
>>787123

Check the article name in other languages:
>https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerre_d%27ind%C3%A9pendance_des_%C3%89tats-Unis
>https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerra_de_Independencia_de_los_Estados_Unidos
>https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerikanischer_Unabh%C3%A4ngigkeitskrieg
>>
>>787867
pic unrelated?
>>
>>787171
>senators
>elected
They used to be appointed by state governors m8
>>
>>787161
>>787176
This

The real war for democracy was what Haiti had going on. It's a shame that they ended up like they are now.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.