[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does every relevant intellectual dismiss Nietzsche? htt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4
File: br4.jpg (106 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
br4.jpg
106 KB, 640x360
Why does every relevant intellectual dismiss Nietzsche?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XkjI8IZNww
>>
File: image.jpg (167 KB, 1002x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
167 KB, 1002x1200
>>785882
>>
>>785882
Because he died a madman, having espoused some of the most vitriolic and poisonous works ever known to mankind.
>>
Since when? Nietzsche was one of the most influential philosophers of the last several hundred years. Russell dismissed him because he dismissed all non-analytics.
>>
>>785886
And yet no one takes the philosophers that do not work in the analytical department seriously anymore.
>>
>>785882
Why would you NOT dismiss a guy who's line of thought is basically: "I am better than everybody else if you disagree or try to prove me wrong you're just subhuman trying to compensate for being subhuman"?
>>
>>785886
>Hi, I'm a European. I claim to be culturally superior to you, but my provincial worldview cannot conceive of truth that exists outside of political structures; as such, I am always going to defend either the latest radical political movement I've joined, or the head of state of my semi-authoritarian country, to the death, because I cannot conceive of a world in which freedom exists. Never mind that these ideologies are always more complicated than they should be, and never mind the stupidity of ontopoitics; I'm going to complain about things loudly and call people who disagree with me fascists until my continent falls apart.
>>
>>785882

>all that pure ideology

mein gott!
>>
All beings so far have created something beyond themselves. Do you want to be the ebb of that great tide, and revert back to the beast rather than overcome mankind? What is the ape to the Nietzsche? A laughing-stock, a thing of shame. And just so shall a Nietzsche be to the man: a laughing-stock, a thing of shame. You have evolved from worm to Nietzsche, but much within you is still worm. Once you were apes, yet even now Nietzsche is more of an ape than any of the apes.
>>
>>785916
Half-true in the Anglo world. Some american and British universities have continental departments. The distinction is totally irrelevant in Europe. I remember hearing a BBC Radio show featuring a french philosopher who claimed she never heard the term "continental philosopher" until she moved to England.
>>
>>785882
>an anglo thinking he knows shit about philosophy
l m a o
>>
>>785968
It's because there is no difference.
>>
>>785882
because his assumptions come out of thin air without any backing evidence.
>>
>>785882
What even are this guy's accomplishments? His entire philosophy was constructed around positivism and the idea of atomic statements both which were destroyed by his own pupil. His magnus opus ended in self contradiction.

Seriously what did this guy do?
>>
>>786177
m-muh slave morality
>>
>>785968
>french
>philosopher
pick one
>>
>>786239
I think he was talking about Russel here, who was indeed a wanker of the first category.
>>
>>786177
>His entire philosophy was constructed around positivism and the idea of atomic statements
His original work preceded both of these things. I'll give you the thing about Principia getting BTFO, but he had no idea that would happen years after it was published.

>What even are this guy's accomplishments?
While his type theory had problems, putting logic onto a mathematical foundation (coming off of Frege, who had given up on his own project by the time Russell and Whitehead were writing together) was no small feat. His work in philosophy of language also set in motion a paradigm that still has adherents despite Kripke's massive critique of it.
>>
>>785882
Because the majority define what is relevant, and the majority are ignorant.

"Academic philosophers" are on the same level as artists who just make show pieces for art galleries. They're really just scholars, not philosophers at all.
>>
>>786177

Yeah. I've never gotten why people think Russell is good.
>>
>>786389

>Quentin Meillassoux

There's two.
>>
>>786426
I'll admit he had some accomplishments in linguistics. But seriously why do people like this guy?

His fanboys don't seem to have the slightest interest in linguistics. He seems to be the go to philosopher for people that do not like philosophy.
>>
What's funny is that Russell isn't relevant at all. Who cares about Russell any more? Russell's most lasting contribution to philosophy was discovering Wittgenstein.
>>
>>787399
and he arguably made Witty waste half his career on the ridiculous nonsense of atomic facts.
>>
>philosotards cannot understand his contributions to mathematics and logic
Who would have known.
>>
reminder that the continental/analytic division is a simplistic myth that no one in philosophy really takes seriously. also that Russell is not relevant in analytic philosophy anymore.
>>
>>785882
Russel likes categories and regular philosophy without justification.
Nietzsche refuses to be categorized as anything and calls philosophy out on failing at its primary purpose, that of justified thought.
>>
>>785886
He was Welsh
>>
>>787411
His main contribution to math was a failed experiment, and his positvistic approach to logic was defeated by his own student.

And even if we ignore this Russel clearly doesn't understand philosophy, he doesn't understand Plato, Nietzche, or Aquinas...his understanding of all the major philosophers is actually pretty shallow. He's a mediocre linguist at best.
>>
>>787424
He didn't do a simple experiment you fucking idiot, he developed a a brand new field in mathematics which is now consider central. Obviously he couldn't get everything right but it shows you know little about his actual contributions to mathematics.

Also how the fuck you measure his understandings? You are just regurgitating his edgy contrarian memes.
>>
>>787392
>muh teapot!
Pretty much it. The people that actually know anything about math, logic, or linguistics don't give two fucks about his atheist works. The fanboys just want some super smart mathematician/logician/philosopher on their side so they sound deeper than the stereotypical Dawkins and Harris crowd.
>>
>>787392

Linguistics is the most useless, autistic field imaginable.
>>
>>787531

I don't like you.

Linguists have no home. We are too scientific for the humanities "words are magical and can't be understood / words have infinite meanings XD" faggots but too humanities for the the scientific fields.
>>
>>787543

I'm actually a linguist. I just think every major linguist research program to date has gone nowhere. I want the field to die.
>>
>>787553
Can you elaborate?
>>
>>787553

How about corpus linguistics? That has allowed linguists to solve crimes.

How about language acquisition? That field allows people to learn second languages quicker than before.

Also, why are you in the field if you hate it?
>>
>>787592
>learn second languages quicker than before.
Can you recommend anything that lays out a good method of learning and remembering a language?
>>
>>787592

>How about corpus linguistics? That has allowed linguists to solve crimes.

Is that truth or advertising?

>How about language acquisition? That field allows people to learn second languages quicker than before.

Is that truth or advertising?

>>787592
>Also, why are you in the field if you hate it?

I'm interested in language, so that was what I studied in undergrad and postgrad. However, my studies have led me to the conclusion that there's very little in the way of rigorous results to be found in linguistics, and where there is it's vomit-inducingly trivial ("African tribe language X epenthesises alveolar taps between high front vowels? STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES. GET THE FUCKING PRESIDENT ON THE LINE RIGHT NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT").

Yeah.

>>787582

Don't worry, the cancer pervades the social sciences, not just linguistics.
>>
>>787416
>also that Russell is not relevant in analytic philosophy anymore.
So you call it a myth, then you fucking use the term as if it exists. Cool.
>>
>>785941
>freedom
spooky
>>
>>785886
But Russell was a bundle theorist. That's one of the most out-there theories of substance you can be.

And he belvied the world was composed of sense-data.

If your going to post shitty memes, at least use someone relevant.
>>
>>789701
OP did word it poorly but it's not incorrect.

Consider the sentences "Bob says house is blue, even though it's red. The shade of blue is aqua"

You can discuss a non-concept within the domain of the concept itself.
>>
>>786177
>His magnus opus ended in self contradiction.
The Principia wasn't self-contradictory.

>His entire philosophy was constructed around positivism and the idea of atomic statements both which were destroyed by his own pupil.

Well that depends on whether you agree with the later Wittgenstein. The Tractatus is thoughrouly for logical atomism.

Also the theory of descriptions, and his philosophy of mathematics (arguably his two biggest contributions, including the invension of fucking Type theory), had very little to do with the empiricist project.

>Seriously what did this guy do?
Made major and influential contributions to most every area of philosophy, save perhaps aesthetics.

Wrote a history of philosophy which is still widely read today, and which has never been out of print. Heck, the first volume of Russell's history is still a big talking point in modern Presocratic scholarship.

Gave the world Wittgenstein.

Fucked the wives of almost all of his collegues.
>>
>>785937
Wow you're in depth analysis has proven what Nietzsche wrote to be quite correct. I would suggest reading it and following the track of thought a lil better next time.
>>
>>787424
He created Type theory

He developed formal logic substantially. Formal logic before Russell is almost unrecognisable to how it is today. The Principia was the single most influential book on logic, besides Frege's Begriffschrift perhaps, of the 20th century.
>>
Russell is important as a stepping stone to current theories and because there are so many undergraduates (of varying quality) exposed to him there are bound to be a few people that defend him in a stupid way.
>>
>>787472
Russell 's paradox is pretty important for the foundations of mathematics.
>>
>>785941
>Hi, I'm an American. Philosophy is basically just marketing for social movements, right? All you have to do is take a particular cause and present it in an abstract way to give it more credibility.
>>
>>791793
>Fucked the wives of almost all of his colleagues.
Literally the Feynman of philosophy
>>
File: 4aCJ4RF.gif (2 MB, 350x244) Image search: [Google]
4aCJ4RF.gif
2 MB, 350x244
>>787424
>people can't learn from mistakes of others
>what does "standing on the shoulders of giants" mean
Jesus Christ you're a fucking retard.
>>
>>787702
>there's very little in the way of rigorous results to be found in linguistics
Time to transition into formal language theory and actually learn something solid you stupid cuckold.
>>
>Russell
>Relevant
>Intellectual

LMAO!
>>
Russell allegedly said "Nietzsche's children are bombing me!" When he was in England during The Blitz.

He really resented him for some reason.
>>
>>792214
>Nietzsche's children are bombing me!
AHAHHHAHAH
>>
>>792120
>where there is it's vomit-inducingly trivial

You should have read the rest of my sentence before replying.
>>
>>791793
>The Tractatus is thoughrouly for logical atomism.

No. If you read the Tractatus all the way through you'd see that it's a reductio ad absurdum of logical atomism.
>>
>>792294
>formal language theory
>trivial
It's ok if you don't understand it but please don't make it so apparent.
>>
>>792307

Name one useful thing I can do with formal language theory.
>>
>>792316
>implying usefulness determines whether something is trivial or not
Typical Noam-tier braindead dumbfuck.

>what are applications in CS
>what are powerful programming languages
>what is efficiency of parsing
>what is computability
>what is categorization of complexity
>implying linguistics is useful at all if not for mathematics
Deluded as fuck too.
>>
>>785882
Considering how lacking in intelligence i think i am, I feel weird saying that Bertrand Russell is talking shit about a philosophy that he doesn't understand but for fuck sake.
>>
Analytics have no flair for philosophy. They should just stick to their maths.
>>
>Anglo """"""""""""""""""""""""""philosophy"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
>>
>>787424
Russell's Paradox is pretty damn influential
>>
>>785882
All the relevant philosophers during the 19th century shat on Kant and Hegel, including Nietzsche

Philosophy is really a giant neverending dissing circle
>>
>>785882
Like who?
>>
>>787392
I'm a philosophy major studying at a very analytic university and he's beloved here. It's mostly because he basically invented the existential and universal quantifiers. Yeah, his atheism is proto-Sam Harris tier, but he had some good ideas.
>>
>>792031
>>Russell 's paradox is pretty important for the foundations of mathematics.
hardly, it just shows that
-a few people do not like contradictions
-typing your concepts cannot hurt, but rationalists call this a revolution, which shows how retarded was the rationalists before him.
>>
>>791793
Russell is an hedonist, so there is nothing to expect from him.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.