[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sassanid Empire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
Let's discuss this great empire.
It was overshadowed by Roman state, but it was pretty interesting.
>>
I do wish some of their histories had survived. Seeing everything from their perspective would have been great.
>>
>>7856
>overshadowed by Roman state
Wut?
Neither persians nor romans/greeks could defeat each other.
>>
>>8782
Rome was a more impactful state, he means.
>>
>>8782
I meant overshadowed in time.
How many people know about Sassanid Empire? Very few.
Yet they were biggest Roman rivals.
>>
>>8843
>How many people know about Sassanid Empire? Very few.
well blame the popular culture and shit. popular culture only talks about rome. most people don't know about huns either.
>>
>>7856
Who was the best Emperor? Ardashir? Shapur I? Shapur II? Yazdegerd? Khosrau I? Khosrau II? Kadevh? Explain who you think was the best or at least is your favorite.
>>
>>7856
Sadly most people aren't aware of the Neo-Persian Empire/Sassanid Empire in the West because no one likes talking about how both Rome and Byzantine's greatest rival before Islam and the Arab and later Turks were Persians who outlasted the Greeks and Macedonians.
>>
>>9323
Khosrau I was probably best, reformed the empire, bullied Justinian, ruled it at it's peak, secured it's borders.
Worst, well, Khosrau II. Though I'd say he's victim of history. If Muslims didn't appear, his failings wouldn't be so catastrophic.
>>
>>8782
>Neither persians nor romans/greeks could defeat each other.
If they didn't have such a hardon for chopping each other's heads off, the Muslims would've been contained in Arabia

The bastards
>>
>>9371
Still, it's surprising how little known is this period of Iranian history.
Sassanid Empire wasn't some temporary thing or a state of primitive barbarians, it was a superpower almost rivaling later Roman state.
Their culture was pretty sophisticated for that time.
>There was a major school, called the Grand School, in the capital. In the beginning, only 50 students were allowed to study at the Grand School. In less than 100 years, enrollment at the Grand School was over 30,000 students.
>>
>>10795
The problem is Iranian history in general is a black hole even for the Iranians during the Sassanid period, so all we have is archaeology and the compilations of later 10th and 11th century Persian writers besides the Roman and Jewish sources that dominates our own understanding of Persian history even now.
>>
>>11267
That's because the Arabs wiped out all written records in Persia for over 3 centuries.

>>10395
Khosrau II nearly achieved remaking the Sassanid state back to the pinnacle in its breadth under the Acahemenids. He was far from the worst and is literally romanticized in Iranian folklore and history even for his failings. Ferdowsi made Khosrau Parviz's name the Persian equivalent to what Caesar's became for Romans.
>>
>>11644
>That's because the Arabs wiped out all written records in Persia for over 3 centuries.

And before them the Byzantines, then the Turks, then the Greeks.

More likely there just wasn't much to begin with compared to the Hellenic world.
>>
>>8843
I am sure that those in iran and surrounding areas know more about the sassanids thsn the romans. It is all about where you are in the world.
>>
>>11769
Byzantines never did that nor did the Turks. All the Greeks and Macedonians did during the Achaemenid period was burn Persepolis to the ground with Alexander's drunken mistake of listening to some bombastic sluts drunken suggestions.

Arabs literally destroyed so many books the rivers ran black with ink for weeks as Cestiphon was razed and plundered.
>>
>>11861
>Arabs literally destroyed so many books the rivers ran black with ink for weeks as Cestiphon was razed and plundered.

As recorded by literally nobody until as moralizing fables three hundred years later.
>>
>>12044
>As recorded by nobody
>Byzantine sources
Okay
>>
reminder that turkish word for "kekold" is "kavat" because of this man

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kavadh_I
>>
>>12121
He's one of my favorite Sassanid Emperors
>>
>>12066
>>Byzantine sources
Does "Byzantine sources" have a name?
>>
>>12171
Do you have a counter source?
>>
>>12276
It's on you to prove your claim, having made it first.
>>
>>12365
Where is your counter source?
>>
File: 1432242810475.png (690 KB, 569x802) Image search: [Google]
1432242810475.png
690 KB, 569x802
>>12044
>>11861

I remember seeing the same constatation about rivers of ink related to a Mongol destruction of Baghdad when they razed its library and threw all the books in Tigris river, which one is true?
>>
>>12409
I don't know how much is credited to Turks and Mongols about "cultural" attacks on Iranians but the centuries of silence are specifically targeted at Arabs while the Turks/Mongols are blamed with largely depopulating Iranian populations in Central Asia.

Which is part of the reason why that area outside of Afghanistan and Tajikistan are largely Turkic now.
>>
>>12405

What the fuck is a counter source? You either got a source or you don't, and you haven't shown us any.

Who the fuck asks someone asking for a source to give their own source?
>>
>>12521
Post your source.
>>
File: Mazdak.jpg (112 KB, 570x672) Image search: [Google]
Mazdak.jpg
112 KB, 570x672
Sassanid Persia had one of the original communist revolutions. And just like in the modern world, it was unleashed because someone (in the case, the Shah himself) thought they could just use these revolutionaries to wreck havoc and destroy their political enemies, not counting it would turn against him.
>>
>>12409
The ink thing is a literary device that turns up in the 11th century concerning some Persian scholars showing their disapproval of some local rulers and their attitude towards libraries.

The Mongol one is probably true since the sources on it are far closer to the actual event than the ones about the Arab conquest - decades versus centuries, and without any corroboration.
>>
>>12571
Source for what? I'm the one questioning the claim, not making it.
>>
>>12521
>>12672
He's probably referring to Zarrinkoub whose literally the most well known, famed, and esteemed historian and Iranologist who has evidence pointing to Arab destruction of records in Iran with evidence from third person sources, some taking decades after the Sassanid states fall, others a century later.

The man is also considered the father of modern Persian literature and a world famous historian. So that's the main source in today's times.
>>
>>12579
Tondrakians were more commies than sassanids
>>
This might be of interest to you guys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RFK5u5lkhA
>>
>>12713
>who has evidence pointing to Arab destruction of records in Iran with evidence from third person sources

So he can name and quote these supposed sources, but doesn't? So what are they? Because Zarrinkoub doesn't source anyone for the ink rivers line born within even the same century as the event.
>>
>>12988
Hell if I know, all I told you is the guy is considered the most reliable source on Sassanid Persia and especially the cultural impact on Iranians with the Arab conquest of Persia in the world.

He's known for pushing those claims. I haven't read the book so I can't say.
>>
>>12713
The current problem with Iranian (and Indian) history today is that it enjoyed a brief flash of interest from the West during a less empirical and archaeology-based period of history writing that got taken up by a generation of nationalists as their new gospel, but when current scholarship challenges many of the more unsubstantiated assertions made then in the 70's and before, the more nationalist groups are resistant to any change in their current mythos.
>>
>>13544
Thank god the Shah Nameh survived then.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.