[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linguistic Purism in English
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8
File: 91261dac3a.jpg (131 KB, 1024x724) Image search: [Google]
91261dac3a.jpg
131 KB, 1024x724
Would you support it?

http://strawpoll.me/7370126
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_purism_in_English

http://anglish.wikia.com/wiki/Main_leaf

Linguistic purism in the English language is the belief that words of native origin should be used instead of foreign-derived ones (which are mainly Latinate and Greek). "Native" (inborn) can mean "Anglo-Saxon" (Engelsaxish) or it can be widened to include all Germanic (Theedish) words. In its mild form, it merely means using existing native words instead of foreign-derived ones (such as using begin instead of commence). In its more extreme form, it involves reviving native words that are no longer widely used (such as ettle for intend) and/or coining new words from Germanic roots (such as wordstock for vocabulary). The resulting language is sometimes called Anglish (coined by the author and humorist Paul Jennings), Roots English (referring to the idea that it is a "return to the roots" of English), among other names. The mild form is often advocated as part of Plain English, but the more extreme form has been and continues to be a fringe movement.
>>
Personally, I would think a Germanic language would sound much better and probably make more sense with more Germanic words in it. Latin and Greek words are fine for the sciences, but they should be removed for common speech.
>>
File: ggg.jpg (153 KB, 1012x551) Image search: [Google]
ggg.jpg
153 KB, 1012x551
>>983098
I'm French, so I dont
I'm glad English is so cucked to my language that it can't have a single sentence without a transparent word
>>
>>983098
>no maybe
shit poll
>>
>>983149
>cucked
Does this word have no meaning anymore?
>>
>>983149
>go to France
>hear English songs on the radio
>even the French girls sing in English

Lol
>>
>>983160
And France is one of the least linguistically cucked countries in Europe
That says a lot
In France you only have that with music, but if you go to the Netherlands or Scandinavia, you'll have English as the main language in all entertainment fields (TV, movies, video games, music)

American cultural domination is truly frightening
I miss the day when the British Empire was the "superpower"
They had influence over the shitholes they ruled and it ended there, while Amerifats made English the dominant language in the civilized world
>>
>>983098
It seems a bit silly, seeing as how the other Germanic languages utilize Greek and Latin loanwords.

>>983149
It is wholly doworthy to speak English of a sheerly Theedish bent, though one must take part in wordcrafting if they wish to do so.
>>
File: 1427413305271.png (349 KB, 1294x871) Image search: [Google]
1427413305271.png
349 KB, 1294x871
I think English will probably be more Germanic in the future even without any effort to purify the language.

Latin and Greek are pretty much dead in English-speaking countries. Since no one learns them anymore and Latinate words are less common people will forget them first. Newly coined words are also generally from native words.

From Trask's Historical Linguistics:

>Indeed, it is possible that our long tradition of constructing our technical terms
from Greek and Latin may be drawing to a close. The scientists of earlier generations were
often well acquainted with the classical languages, but today’s technical people rarely are,
and in particular the people who have created our now vastly important computer industry
know nothing of Greek or Latin. It is noticeable that technical terms in computing are never
formed in the traditional Graeco-Latin manner, and Greek and Latin elements appear only
occasionally and incidentally. Computer people prefer other devices for coining their
technical terms: RAM, screen saver, bus, graphics card, reboot, software, prompt, debug,
bulletin board, mouse, floppy disc, pixel, modem, scroll bar, window, hard copy, browser,
NAND gate, hacker, password, icon and, of course, the inimitable WYSIWYG. An earlier
generation might have preferred telecommunicator to modem, or manual selector to mouse,
but times have changed

Besides his examples I can think of a ton of native computing and programming terms off the top of my head, keyboard, motherboard, kernel, driver, loop, for, call, if/else, do/while, string, shell, input/output, pipe, stack/heap
>>
File: 6dsd.png (11 KB, 510x424) Image search: [Google]
6dsd.png
11 KB, 510x424
>>983180
>part

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/part#Etymology

At least you tried
>>
You're about a thousand years too late, senpai.
>>
>>983175
>I miss the day when the British Empire was the "superpower"
>I miss
>I

cringeworthy
>>
>>983195
*take share in wordcrafting
>>
>>983187
Interesting post
>>
>>983205
Fuck off, millenial scum
>>
>>983098
I'd love if it happened but it's never going to.
>>
>>983098
Fuck no.

English is such a mutt language that any attempt to "purify" it would erase it instead.

Fact of the matter is, in a hundred years we'll probably be using some kind of Chinglish as the international language and there's nothing anyone can do about that.
>>
>>983187
This is pretty neat.
>>
>>983383
>We'll be eliminating verbs and haphazardly removing plurals.

Jesus Christ how horrifying
>>
>>983728
>>983383
That's not the case, OP's link explains how it is finding the Germanic (Theedish, there you go) equivalents or replacements of the Latin words.
>>
Any practical reasons for it?
>>
When you actually use as many Saxon words as you can, it does seem to 'flow' better.

It's not a pretty or musical language, but it does all share the same soundset. Also constructed words often make more sense simply by reconstructing them.
>>
>>983187
Isn't there a chance/risk that the modern English population will grow even further away from Old English as immigrants introduce their own words into the language?
>>
>>984857
The way things are going it's going to be Arabic with a few English words here and there.
>>
Is /his/ a bad enough dude to combine it with Reformed Latinate Spelling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvib1MBHeK4
>>
But how would one ever enforce purism, if it were to be implemented?

Any English language watchdog could do would be saying 'fuck off, use the English term' to immigrants trying to use words from their own languages. No way in hell would there be a reversal of sorts, where all French, and even German words would be replaced by ones from the Old English vocabulary or whatever arbitrary definition of a strictly English one.

Maybe I'm so opposed to forced linguistic purism because I'm tired of it in my own country, Lithuania. The language commission/inspection fuckers are linguistic Gestapo, unparalleled in the whole of Europe. Hell, even the entire world, maybe.

>We know your language better than all of you
>We can prevent language change, watch us
>Care to disagree? Pay this fine, then

I'm okay with purism which isn't enforced by the language 5-0, though (see: Iceland).
>>
>>984927
The problem is that the polluted nature of English allows change far too much, because far too many of our words are lacking in English-sense.

There's really no reason that 'literally' can't mean 'figuratively' in English because 'literate' is not an English-sense word. If you use 'truthsay' or 'truthwrit' instead then you simple can't change the meaning because then the word makes no sense even in its own language.

It is telling how most words that changed meanings aren't English words.
>>
File: 1460019165480.jpg (52 KB, 500x355) Image search: [Google]
1460019165480.jpg
52 KB, 500x355
>>983098
I've been hoping to see a thread akin to this at some point; I'm slowing absorbing myself in Anglish, alongside Eald Englsic.

The problems I find with it is the poorly constructed forum/body of works, as well as some of the borderline autistic word construction. I feel it ought be more lenient when it comes to proper nouns and the like (e.g. "Dawnland" for Japan).

However, I'm fond of the strides of it being largely phonetic, but again I feel as if the attempts to edit the alphabet are mediocre.
>>
>>984996
But isn't "Dawnland" pretty much exactly what Japan is called in Japanese?
>>
>>983383
Fucking tui m8. And stay away from te Agua, alles klar mit tu?
>>
>>985023
Aye, it is. 日本 (Ni-hon) translates directly as sun-book, but it ought be constructed in a fashion similar to other folks. The problem I have with it is that states are often named after the folk inhabiting them; though I suppose it'd be cumbersome to refer to Japan as 'Nihonjinland'.

Either way, I still find many other neologisms utterly cumbersome and nesoundly entirely.
>>
>>984996
>>985042
Something I've failed to mention is that Anglish ought have an outlined translation for grammatical terminology.

It's hard enough using disjointed Latinate terms in English, thus warranting plain English translations for them regardless of how further Anglish may progress. It took me until I was a late teen to finally remember all the speechparts.

There are translations for the terms in Anglish - as can be seen in the wordbook leaf - though it ought be a drawth to its own.

For sake of compiling them, they're:
Nameword - Noun
Markword - Adjective
Byword - Adverb
Deedword, Workword - Verb
Linkword, Bindword, Yokeword - Conjunction
Byname, Forename - Pronoun
Foreput, Foresetness - Preposition
Tweenlaying - Interjection

Though it only seems the basic speechparts are translated, rather than entire swathes of English terminology (sentence being 'wordset', phrase being 'wordstring'/'cwide', but there being no term for clause).
>>
>>984970

That's an pretty interesting point I would've missed myself.

But could that 'English-sense' be ever reintroduced? One requirement would be a sudden change of the whole damn grammar, so that it'd be more welcoming to compounds, as in the rest of the Germanic tree. This would need a centralised institution and/or a standard variant of English, and good luck regulating a language spoken in every continent.

On the whole, purism in English looks absolutely impossible to me.
>>
>>985145
There's a lot of compounds that just haven't been squashed together, or are and no one thinks about them as being so.

Electronic-mail, for one example. Or 'free thinker'. Freethinking is a compound in all but presentation, since it's only when the words a put one after another that a new definition is presented.

And with social media the way it is, all it will take is one trendsetter to push things in such a direction.
>>
>>985035
>Fucking true mate. And stay away from the water, understood?
Roger that.
>>
>>984927
Maybe they're cunts, but they're safeguarding the standard bearer of your culture. That's admirable.
>>
Anglish is a really fun project but I'd never advocate using it instead of standard English
>>
>>983098
I am quite fond of english as mish mash of insanity and whatever appeals at the moment. Best language on earth
>>
>purism in a mongrel language with more than 5 major influences on its current lexicon
Yeah fuck off.
>>
It's also important to abandon the idiot grammar rules of latin languages and let yourself use prepositions at the ends of sentences if you want to
>>
>>985898
What would you do that for? :^)
>>
>>985474
Read the OP dumbass
>>
Many words of Latinate origin have enriched the English vocabulary and provided countless words for concepts that otherwise wouldn't exist but in some cases the nature of the word can obscure the meaning for an average person as in the case of the word 'equinox' for example; it could simply be referred to as an "evenday" imitating the more traditional Germanic form (OE efnniht, Old Norse jafndǿgn)
>>
>>986058
I would not say so, the English language has quite the ability to form compound words to describe such a thing.
Every fancy-pants enlightened scientific word is something normal and similar in French or Latin. Look at computer programming, they have done very well.
>>
>>983098
As a non-native speaker, part of the appeal of English is precisely how adaptable it all is. Sure, some of the Germanic terms are convenient shorthands, but enforcing Germanic words on English as it is would definitely make it a far less accessible language.
>>
>>986093
I still would like to keep the wide array of adjectives that we have at our disposal. People take it for granted that we have words for a lot of concepts that don't exist in other languages.
>>
>>986117
Why take from others what you could make yourself?
>>
>>986160
Good luck undoing a millennia of history.
>>
>>983098
I'd support it, but I don't really think it's possible.
>>
>>986112
I'd like to have two englishes. One in actual England based on purism, and one international speak that heavily borrows from other languages and acts as a global lingu franca.
>>
It's time we initiated a reform of place names and denonyms.

Japan - Nippon(e), Nipponian(s)
China - Jhung Hwa, Jhungguo(s) or Jhungguo Jhunggoan(s)
South Korea - Hanguk, Hangukan(s)
North Korea - Chosun, Chosunese
India - Bharat, Bharati(s)
Germany - Deutschland, Deutsche(s)
Spain - Espania, Espaniols
Italy - Italia, Italians
Egypt - Masr, Masri(s)
>>
>>983098
Language is already a poor medium of communication. I see no reason to further limit it's abilities.
>>
>>983111

>wordstock
>not using the phrase wordhoard which not only sounds better but has evidence of actual usage behind it.

Sounds like a pretty shit movement desu
>>
>>986093
>Every fancy-pants enlightened scientific word is something normal and similar in French or Latin

This is what happens when you have an educated class that speaks a totally different language (and has a totally different bloodline) than the proles.

Even now it's considered smarter to just put in a foreign word when a mundane English word will be the same.

I think Orwell had a lot to say about this.
>>
>>983187
A similar situation of diglossia happened in both the Greek language with Katharevousa and Demotic and in Turkish with the Persian and Arabic infused Ottoman dialect and the modern one.
>>
Sure. I think a vast overhaul of English is in order. Though I'm pretty sure such a thing would be ultimately futile.
>>
>>983098

I've always liked how the most used words are from basic old english stock

For example: fuck those french assholes
>>
>>983187
>bus
>not Latin
>>
>>986576
It's a clipped form of omnibus, which has been used for generations now
>>
>>986593
Yes, and it's a Latin word.
I forgot icon as well.
>>
>>986633
Which is greek for image and has been used for centuries as well
>>
>>986576
Bus is Latin, but they named it "bus" because of this.
>>
>>983098
>not poal.me
>no meme options
You're bad at this
>>
>>983098
No, it's idiotic.
>>
>>983098
>>983116
Why would you deny your French heritage?
>>
File: 1455996527207.png (26 KB, 544x532) Image search: [Google]
1455996527207.png
26 KB, 544x532
>>983098
No, we should all just start speaking French.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Fa4lOQfbA
>>
>>986648
I know, you fucking idiot, which was my point. >>983187 argues that computing doesn't use Latin and Greek words, yet cites Latin and Greek words in support of this.
>>
>>988234
I think his point is that they weren't chosen for being Greek or Romantic, but rather that they were common words that happened to be that. There wasn't a computer scientist who said "let's call it a bus because it derives from the Latin omnibus." They said "it carries stuff like passengers, like a bus, so let's call it a bus."

It could have just as easily been coach or truck.
>>
>>988234
>It is noticeable that technical terms in computing are never formed in the traditional Graeco-Latin manner, and Greek and Latin elements appear only occasionally and incidentally
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.