[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what is this mysterious bag?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9
File: aX9NNY9_460sv.webm (943 KB, 460x384) Image search: [Google]
aX9NNY9_460sv.webm
943 KB, 460x384
So what is this mysterious bag?
>>
A bag. For putting things in.
>>
Shoes and hats have also been invented independently at multiple points around the globe. COULD ALIENS BE RELATED?!
>>
>>780906
They had Gucci bags back in 1250 before Christ?
>>
>>780896
>So what is this mysterious bag?
The ontology of the hand and the material characteristics of plant material for weaving.
>>
File: -.jpg (149 KB, 500x736) Image search: [Google]
-.jpg
149 KB, 500x736
>>
>>780896
GEE, I SURE FUCKING WONDER HOW ALL OF THESE CULTURES THAT WERE DIRECTLY RELATED TO ONE ANOTHER IN THE MIDDLE EAST IN ANTIQUITY COULD SHARE A DESIGN MOTIF? ALIENS!
>>
I say drugs
>>
>>780922

Did people need to carry things from one place to another without holding them loose in this hands? Yes. Therefore they had bags.
>>
Not mysterious at all.

Every ancient races and peoples in entire world could make a bag shaped like that when they had wanted to have something for putting somethings into.

As like as that almost of cultures in the old and new worlds knew how to make a bow and arrows.
>>
>>780948
why handbags rather than shoulder bags, satchels, backpacks, framed back-baskets
>>
>>780954
>bow
Some cunt doesn't know how to woomera.
>>
>>780960

Why not handbags if you only need to carry a few things? In 2000 years people will be looking at surviving pictures of businessmen and askm"why are they all carrying rectangular bags in their hands?".

They could also be a really fancy bag as a status symbol "I can carry my stuff in my hand bag because I don't need both hands doing manual labour".
>>
>>780977
It is more likely a canteen.
>>
>>780948
this

People see conspiracies everywhere. What is so weird about people thinking up the same shit on opposite sides of the planet? Why couldn't mayas same as some african niggers think up a diety with tall heads? Racist maymays aside, we simply just think alike.
>>
>>780993

A canteen is a glorified waterproof bag.
>>
>>780942
Later in the video it shows many American ancient cultures.
>>
>>780997
Depends on the mouth and gasket.
>>
>>780960
Because That shit isn't mutually exclusive. I'm sure plenty of people had both.
>>
>>780960
every bag has different pros and cons, can you really not think of any advantage in having a hand bag
>>
>>781053
>>781058
So why aren't they commonly depicted?
>>
>>781066

They probably were depicted. They just weren't in the cherrypicked video.
>>
>>781066
Holy shit motherfucker you'd best be trolling. It's small fucking bags! It doesn't take a huge leap of enlightened ingenuity to want to carry shit a little more efficiently.

What exactly are you trying to say?
>>
>>780896
They carry things? This is like asking why cultures around the world depict the sun, or bows and arrows, or domesticated farm animals. It's not like bags are some specialized invention, they're as omnipresent as the wheel.

I know this is bait, but this is exceptionally retarded even by bait standards.
>>
>>781074
Why aren't larger bags more commonly depicted?

I know there's some ambiguity, but the poster above you was perfectly literate.
>>
>>781086
>they're as omnipresent as the wheel.
Yeah, you might want to brush up on your comparative anthropology.
>>
>>781088
Sorry man, the other boards are getting to me.
And I'm still failing to see where exactly you're going with this.

Because they simply aren't as common. Think of how often you need to bring a couple things with you compared to how often you need to lug half your stuff around.

Especially in the context of depicting deities or leaders, they usually aren't expected to do much hard manual labor.
>>
>>781156

What the hell would a deity need to carry in a bag anyways? It's not like they had money or food.
>>
>>780896
>ctr+f "Doritos"
>no results found
Doritos
>>
>>780896
By the looks it's McDonalds.
>>
>>781210
Kind of a brilliant idea for a marketing spot.....
>>
>>781164
magical items
>>
Pockets are a fairly recent invention. The aristocracy/high priests ain't gonna carry their stuff in pleb tier belt pouches. Of course they'll use something fancier to use instead.
Bags are very basic tools that are easy to decorate.
>>
>>781002
And none of them look anything like the earlier ones.
>>
>>780896
All are northern african/arabic cultures...

Go fuck your self fqggot
>>
File: CaptureWiz612_op_640x571.jpg (92 KB, 640x571) Image search: [Google]
CaptureWiz612_op_640x571.jpg
92 KB, 640x571
>>780896
It's FUCKING HARD to read the thread with all these meme answers...

My personal take is that the motiff started in Mesopotamia and it is a bag of seeds. Agriculture supposedly originated there. The creatures could be culture heroes, gods or angels that taught men agriculture. They seem to carry a pine cone or maybe a palm fruit on their opposite hand. Notice it is related to the motiff of the "tree of life".
>>
File: bm24.jpg (64 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
bm24.jpg
64 KB, 640x480
>>781851
The neighboring cultures just copied the motiff, as lesser advanced cultures usually copy the hegemonic culture.
>>
File: CaptureWiz1233.jpg (24 KB, 263x317) Image search: [Google]
CaptureWiz1233.jpg
24 KB, 263x317
>>781859
It could obviously have a higher symbolic and religious meaning.

As for the cultures that are too far away from Mesopotamia, maybe it's just a coincidence.
>>
>>780896
That webm forgot this.
>>
>>781851

What meme answers?
>>
DID ALIENS SHOW PEOPLE HOW TO MAKE BAGS?
>>
>never heard of a goody back
I weep for your childhood
>>
>>781947
Is that a spaceship?
>>
>inb4 ayliums
It's the time travel kit. Obviously. Duh
>>
>>780896
>a bunch of bags from mesopotamian or related cultures
>a bunch of bags which dont look similar from america
ALIENS
I think we need to go to Occam's Razor here. Convergent design is more common than people seem to think due to the fact that only useful things tend to be kept.
>>
>>781088
Simply because they weren't present in the webm doesn'tmean they're never portraied anywhere
>>
>>780896
Bag for carrying seeds and shit
>>
File: 1433134011053.png (55 KB, 470x364) Image search: [Google]
1433134011053.png
55 KB, 470x364
>greeks never have statues that hold bags
GREEKS CONFIRMED FOR THE ONLY UNTAINTED CIVILIZATION BY AYYLIENS
>>
>>784719
{top comment}
>>
>>780919
underrated post
>>
>>780896
Magic trix ;^)
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.