[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Favourite British Monarch and why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 20
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 250x338) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 250x338
Favourite British Monarch and why?
>>
That guy who stood on the Hastings Bridge and killed like 40 people. He's the real king.
>>
Henry V because 100 years war

>>7825
>implying that happened
>>
Henry VIII for giving literally 0 fucks.
>>
>>7825
Nah you got it wrong m8
That was stamford bridge, a battle that happened a couple days before hastings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Stamford_Bridge

>A later folk story has it that a giant Norse axeman (possibly armed with a Dane Axe) blocked the narrow crossing, and single-handedly held up the entire English army. The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle states that this axeman cut down up to 40 Englishmen. He was only defeated when an English soldier floated under the bridge in a half-barrel and thrust his spear through the laths in the bridge, mortally wounding the axeman.[13]
>>
Did that other thread that was posted before this really get deleted because OP said his favourite monarch was Edward I because he expelled Jews from England?
>>
>>8230
Didn't he do that because they where sacrificing children?

There was that kid who was lured and killed by a jew and later became a saint via martyr or something like that.
>>
File: z1319.jpg (51 KB, 540x650) Image search: [Google]
z1319.jpg
51 KB, 540x650
>>7785
Charles Edward Stuart

It was his rightful throne

>tfw Culloden
>>
James II of Scotland just for how he died

>early adopted of artillery
>died seiging a castle after the artillery piece next to him exploded
>>
>>8823
>Catholic highland separatists supporting the restoration of a line of tyrants who had been overthrown multiple times, most recently for opposition to religious freedom

Charlie was just like his father and butthurt his sister got the throne over him, as a lowland Scot I feel I'm qualified to say;

You are the worst Stuart, you are the Stuart stink
>>
File: z1320.png (337 KB, 400x447) Image search: [Google]
z1320.png
337 KB, 400x447
>>9002
>oppressing Protestants is a bad thing

wew
>>
File: king-athelstan.jpg (246 KB, 564x900) Image search: [Google]
king-athelstan.jpg
246 KB, 564x900
There can be only one.

>crush a combined army of Gaels, Scots, Vikings and Welshmen freeing up the isles for English domination in perpetuity
>become the first actual king of England
>>
>>9120
>muh divine rights of kings

Gonna have to magna Carta a bitch?

Say that to me irl not online and see what happens
>>
File: z1603.jpg (20 KB, 450x363) Image search: [Google]
z1603.jpg
20 KB, 450x363
>>9198
>complains about the divine right of kings
>while Anglican Protestantism makes the monarch of England head of the entire religion

Also Cumwell was a backstabbing bastard and traitor to his own Covenanter allies who couldn't keep his shitty little Commonwealth together for any longer than a decade.
>>
File: king arthur.jpg (187 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
king arthur.jpg
187 KB, 1280x1024
King Athur of course.
>>
>>7785
Longshanks
>>
>>7785
Richard the Third, Plantagenets for life, fuck those Tudor pretenders probably welsh aswell. Ruined europe with their degeneracy, based Richard would have saved catholicism if he had won. Fuck shakespeare.
>>
>>9198
Oliver Cromwell once described Magna Carta as "Magna Farta"

He was a dictator through and through, but by God an Englishman that stands with the greatest. Still flusters the Irish even to this day.
>>
>>7785

Elizabeth for being such a crafty cunt.

>get married
>na senpai
>GET FUCKIGN MARRIED JESUS WE NEED FRANCE OR SPAIN OR SOMEONE TO ALLY WITH GET FUCKING MARRIED
>naw senpai
>WHY ARE YOU SUCH A CUNT

>senpai, for realz, I'm already married - TO ENGLAND
>>
>>9428
2moe4me
>>
>>9594
I love arguing with paddies, just drop cromwell on them and they get so butthurt it's insane.
>>
king mme
>>
>>9482
>Tudors
>At all English

A line descended from a widowed Queen consort of England(French) getting knocked up by a minor Welsh courtier giving her two bastard children

Richard III was the last actual English king, rest were Franco-Welsh, Scots, Dutch, or North German
>>
>>7785
Edward III was based
>>
>>8006
It's sad that it's bullshit. Apparently we even have his name.
>>
Thanks to him, we got to become a country :^)
>>
>>9596
Bitch got lucky for that storm fucking up the invincible armada
>>
>>7785
ALFRED THE GREAT
HE MADE A DREAM COME TRUE
>>
File: smug anime girl (2).jpg (84 KB, 555x573) Image search: [Google]
smug anime girl (2).jpg
84 KB, 555x573
>>9120
>>8823
my nigga
>>
Being a Dutchfag, the only Dutch king of England.
>>
>>9596
Then she died without children, uniting Great Britain, wouldn't have happened if she actually got married when they wanted
>>
>>9711
Richard is the rightful king, the English monarchy died with the plantagenets. Tudor's were so scared of him even after death that they made up shit about him just so that people would hate him instead of rising up against t*dor shits.
>>
File: alfred2[1].jpg (30 KB, 300x381) Image search: [Google]
alfred2[1].jpg
30 KB, 300x381
>>7785
Big Fred without a doubt.

Defeated the Danes, helped fortify and from england, brought in social and literary reforms along the lines of Charlemagne and most of all HE FUCKING TRANSLATED BOETHIUS INTO ANGLO SAXON HIMSELF.
>>
>>9816

That is part of the fun!

She got lucky A NUMBER of times! To the point where you couldn't blame someone for thinking about divine intervention. On top of all that, she had the BALLS to continue to piss off her own and every other royal court in europe.

Like a female donald trump running the world. Fucking amazing and hilarious.
>>
File: guillaume de normandie.jpg (151 KB, 480x676) Image search: [Google]
guillaume de normandie.jpg
151 KB, 480x676
He brought civilization to the Anglo-Saxons.
>>
>>10149
This

Guillaume le conquérant was the best
>>
>>9851
He really was one of the greats. I mean I saw Michiel de Ruyter and he was kind of a dick in that but I remember he was the one who oversaw the beginning of the British Empire, made London the economic capital of the world and such.
>>
>>9594
>Oliver Cromwell once described Magna Carta as "Magna Farta"
I really want to believe this happened
>>
>>9428
Arthur was not a king.
>>
>>9816
>implying one freak storm was why the armada got BTFO
hardly, there's bad weather all the fucking time in the channel, thing is that was where the british trained so they were able to deal with it and their frigates were built to better deal with it. Lighter ships also allowed them to always be able to engage on the spanish when they had an advantage and flee when they didn't. The Spanish were so concerned with having THE BIGGEST NAVY EVER!!! that they were using lots of ships that should have been decommisioned years prior and ships designed for the pleasant waters of the Mediterranean that had absolutely no fucking business in the gloom of the north atlantic.
>>
File: lepepface.jpg (9 KB, 120x142) Image search: [Google]
lepepface.jpg
9 KB, 120x142
>tfw Charles will die before ever becoming King
>>
>>10432
Just as it was prophecised.
>>
>>9907
also the only king of england or the UK to hold the title "the great"
>>
>>10432
>tfw Daily Mail readers will never appreciate what he has done for this nation

They just want their celebrity Will and Kate
>>
>>10525
Wrong, Cnut the great. Arguably more based than alfred, but everyone forgets about him
>>
>>10432
>Probably won't use Charles as his royal name because of the Civil War and the plague and th fire
>Probably won't use Edward because the last one was a Nazi-lover
>Probably won't use Henry because the last one was the infamous emperor
>Probably won't use Richard because the Queen believes in the "bad Richard III" meme

They're running out of names. George is just fine I guess even though they were nothing special.
>>
>>10525
Alfred was not a king of England.
>>
>>10525

You're forgetting Cnut
>>
>>7852
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers
>>
>>10615
>>10677
idk if I'd really consider him to be king of england, but rather king of denmark when it ruled england
>>
Either William The Conqueror (Even though he harried Yorkshire baka)

or Richard III
>>
>>10714

Still the King of England.
>>
>>10714
He was king of england before he was king of denmark though.
>tfw no north sea empire
>>
File: Elizabeth_I_when_a_Princess.jpg (949 KB, 1517x2000) Image search: [Google]
Elizabeth_I_when_a_Princess.jpg
949 KB, 1517x2000
>>7785
Elizabeth I. She set England upon the course to become a rival to mainland European powers. She also set England upon its path to enlightenment with her support for the arts and her compromise on religious matters.
>>
>>9711
>>9897
The plantagenets were a Norman dynasty. The last English King was Harold Godwinson. The last English head of state was Richard Cromwell.
>>
Olof Bitling desu
>>
>>11042
>Norman

They were french
>>
>>10615
>Arguably more based than alfred

Not even close. Cnut was pretty great, especially for a Dane, but Big Fred is on another level.
>>
>>11153
They came from the count of Anjou which was Norman ruled, ie. they were a part of the Norman ruling class. Drop the French revisionism.
>>
>>10860
>She set England upon the course to become a rival to mainland European powers.

No she didn't. That would be the Plantagenet family
>>
>>11153
Lol, no.
>>
>>11220
>Lose all the lands in Europe
>Setting a course for rivalry with mainland Europe
Pick one.
>>
>>11206
The normans, after so many generations, were, and considered themselves, french, just look at the Bayeux tapestry
>>
File: 1443475249673.jpg (82 KB, 555x526) Image search: [Google]
1443475249673.jpg
82 KB, 555x526
>>11283
Why not both, you nonce? Because both are plausible, and exactly true.

Are you implying Elizabeth gained any of continental Europe?

Edward the Black Prince was the most famous knight in Europe during his time. That should tell you something
>>
>>11372
Why do you think William the Bastard decided to conquer England?
>>
>>11372
More French revisionism. There was no central concept of a French identity until the Republic was founded and the regional identities crushed. The territories belonged to the Kingdom of France but they were not French.

>>11408
Elizabeth set England upon a course to challenge continental Europe mainly because of her expansion of the navy, investment in colonialism and trade and successful defeat of the Spanish Armada. The Plantagenets in comparison oversaw a decline of English power from what it was.
>>
File: 453px-King_Edward_III_from_NPG.jpg (70 KB, 453x599) Image search: [Google]
453px-King_Edward_III_from_NPG.jpg
70 KB, 453x599
>>7785
Ed the III

>brought back english identity
>btfo the scots
>btfo the french
>>
>>11547
so what was england before the plantagenets?
>>
File: orangutan_square.jpg (51 KB, 329x329) Image search: [Google]
orangutan_square.jpg
51 KB, 329x329
My education was in literature which makes me lean toward Elizabeth because she's the focus of the best writing and was Queen during the Renaissance. She's definitely not the most successful monarch because of her late reign and the succession crisis, but she was also the most charismatic monarch during England's most interesting period.

She was also interesting in court, letting men woo her for political reasons but always leaving them unsuccessful. The rejection poetry we have is funny.

Pic I tried to upload was already uploaded so have an image of what I think Liz looked like when she was dying.
>>
>>11633
An independent regional power in the British isles. What was it after them? An independent regional power in the British isles.

Two Tudor Monarchs did more for English power than every Monarch before them.
>>
>>11547
Good point, replying to the guy trying to say Normans were French.

Winston Churchill seems to agree that Plantagenetes were the founders of the modern kingdom of England

>>11633
Well, it was one of Rome's favorite areas. Afterwards, it was full of petty kingdoms; the relationship between the kings and people were very personal.

>>11742
Dude, just fuck off. We get it, you have a hard on for Elizabeth.
>>
>>11851
>Dude, just fuck off. We get it, you have a hard on for Elizabeth.
Well argued my friend. I tip my hat to you.
>>
>>11440
>>11547
I wanted to find that part of the Bayeux tapestry where they refer to themselves as franci but sadly could not
>>
>>11928
You didn't even "argue" anything

>>11964
because they weren't
>>
>>7825
zang fei?
>>
>>12127
>An independent regional power in the British isles. What was it after them? An independent regional power in the British isles.
This is a point. In comparison to the Tudors who left the beginnings of Empire.
>>
>>11633
The most centralised and coherent state in europe western europe.
>>
>>10149

that is a pretty crazy looking blade, what is it called?
>>
File: SwordTree.jpg (113 KB, 530x710) Image search: [Google]
SwordTree.jpg
113 KB, 530x710
>>12723
Looks like a falchion
>>
>>9851
he literally doomed us
>>
>>12881

Did he really wield one?

I've always wanted a collection of a few neato medieval swords.
>>
>>10149
Barbarian viking bandit who conquered the kingdom with the most advanced state legal system in western europe.
>>
File: Queen_Victoria_1887.jpg (100 KB, 349x475) Image search: [Google]
Queen_Victoria_1887.jpg
100 KB, 349x475
Ctrl + f, no Victoria. Is it gonna be this kind of board?
>>
>>14661

I mean she was rad and all... but personally I think the whole 'victorian era' kinda puts a damper on her own personal accomplishments.

What is your favorite aspect of her?

I liked how Kings, Kaiser, Tsar highlighted her.... oh i duno how to put it....bitchiness? nose in everyone's biznass? pushing her relatives to conflict?
>>
>>14661
By her point the monarchy was irrelevant. For a long time they were actual rulers whose actions and decisions shaped England, Victoria was just a fat german who sat on a throne and was haded bits of the world by her subjects.
>>
>>14815

oh I duno, she had a pretty heavy hand it picking her various relatives to compete with each other. That 'oh yeah? well little whilhelm is building a way bigger army than yours you fucking turbo cuuck'
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.