[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you guys think about reparations for historical injustices?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
How do you guys think about reparations for historical injustices?
Do the Italians(Romans) one us all a bit of money?
>>
>>774637
Reparations to the living = makes sense.
Reparations to descendants = go fuck yourself

(but shouldn't this thread be in /pol/? not even memeing, but it's politics not history)
>>
>>774637
We're not black so no. Also this thread doesn't really belong here.
>>
>>774637
War and politics is beyond the scope of good and evil. Machiavelli covered this 500 years ago.

And in the present day when most philosophy see good and evil as a relative thing it's even more nutty.
>>
>>774650
So what's your clear cut definition of good and evil then?

Go on, let me hear it, please.
>>
>>774637
>How do you guys think about reparations for historical injustices?

Vae victus
>>
>>774650
>And in the present day when most philosophy see good and evil as a relative thing it's even more nutty.
t. philosophical illiterate
>>
>>774637
It's bullshit

Can't blame someone for the sins of his forefathers. Only the Jews do that.
>>
>>774637
So does that mean Venice must pay reparations to the current Romans?
>>
>>774696
Why would it matter. Whatever defination I use is going to be beneath politics. In most traditional ideas of 'evil' are exactly what it takes for a nation to grow. This is why Machaviali comments that one needs to learn to be evil just as much as they need to learn to be good if they want to succeed in running the state well.

The idea of 'justice' is a local issue. There can be no reperations on the global political scale because whatever happens there is beyond good and evil. There can only be justice on a smaller scale.

>>774725
Can you name any major philosophers in the past 50 years that say good and evil as concrete things existing outside of culture? Even the analytical side which hates subjectivity doesn't buy into that.
>>
>>774637
GIBS
ME
DATS
WELFS
WHITEY
I
AINT
SHITTIN YA
>>
>>774637
If the same government that caused the injustice is still in place and the benefits of those injustices are still enjoyed by the citizens of that government then that government offering those people or their decedents reparations would be a nice gesture.

It rarely happens though because Fuck (Insert ethnic/religious minority here) and them getting free shit. Odds are if a government was doing things to people that warranted reparations, there's likely never going to be enough good will from that population towards that minority group to offer them. see >>774772

I'm honestly amazed we ever gave Japanese money. And even then it was kind of a shitty amount compared to what they loss.
>>
>>774637

Yes. I have French blood. When the Romans existed they attacked Gaul and enslaved my ancestors. I demand reparations plus interest. Give me my 5 trillion dollars for what your ancestors did to me Italy!
>>
>>774783

If you are implying the gov. of the USA and reparations for slavery, that government died with the civil war. And I don't mean the CSA - I mean the new Union, the new USA did not operate in the same fashion after the civil war.
>>
I don't think you should 3 generations of wages, but I don't disagree with social programs to help provide advancement opportunities to people who are currently disadvantaged and in the lower strata of society, to bring them up so they have lasting effects so their descendants and future generations will start off on good footing.

Poor people wanting to be poor and act like poor people and collect reparation checks, no not really. I want things to be fixed down the road at some point, the point where you can say grandad was screwed over, but your grand kid is no worse off for his great great great grand dad being screwed over.

Affirmative action is kind of late, and it really doesn't help prepare students to do well. All you've done is replaced the bottom 1 percentile who would have been failures and dropouts anyways, with a different bottom 1 percentile.

Honestly, if I had to design a system, it would be sort of a merit based scholarship program for children of a young age, and helping their families move into good neighborhoods and good schools, and a not quite probation system, where the family, in exchange for the aid, needs to not be involved in any crime.

Because really poor neighborhoods are just bucket of crabs. You'll notice the people who grow up best in shit neighborhoods are people who don't fit in. There's just too much of a culture of holding everyone down, and if you don't get away, or aren't somehow ostracized, there's no escape.
>>
File: 1431578179511.jpg (143 KB, 600x705) Image search: [Google]
1431578179511.jpg
143 KB, 600x705
>>774637

>sorry isn't enough
>give me huge amounts of money

literally.
>>
>>774783
Even if you feel that way. Where do you draw the line? When do you say "ok, everything equal now"

In the case of the states. The only real way to actually revert everything is to deport all black to Africa and sell them back into slavery, but obviously they don't want that
>>
>>774807
Not so fast.

When Napoleon went around crushing in everyone's heads he took over northern Italy and did irreversible damage. Reparations now!
>>
>>774637
Reparations for those living who were wronged? Yes, absolutely. For example, reparations to the villages destroyed by US drone strikes would be very acceptable.

But reparations for past wrongs when all parties are dead? No. What would the statute of limitations even be? A century? Two? How do you define such a thing? Since my mom's side can be traced back to Frenchmen who fought on the side of the pope and my dad to Arab warriors, can I claim reparations for the crusades from the descendants of both sides of the conflict centuries after its resolution?

Speaking of, what are mixed race people supposed to do with regards to American slavery? Race is fluid, and it's not the same as culture. How can ANY of these factors be legally considered without being retarded?
>>
>>774749
I'm pretty sure that's what we've been doing since unification. Just check the tax balance between Veneto and the central government.
>>
>italians(romans)

How close are the italians to the Romans ethnically?
I mean, think of how bad Italy got hit by the waves of conquest and war and migrations after the WRE fell.
>>
>>775932
>Romaness
>Ethnic-based
You now realized where you fucked up.
>>
>>775932
>ethnically
Shiggy diggy.

>genetically
Pretty much the same, the last big change in the italian gene pool was the IE migration 3-4000 years ago.
The only real change after, and a rather minimal one, was a rise of germanic haplogroups in certain areas of the country like northern Sicily and the north-east of the peninsula.
After all you must consider that coming migrations time, Italy was like the most populous part of the country, and by comparison the migrations were damn tiny. Only a few goths and the lombards settled the country. Invading armies that don't settle leave pretty much no genetic footprint whatsoever, regardless of what /pol/ wants you to believe.
>>
Sweden, Germany and Britain all pls gib reparation monies to Denmark.

Also the rest of you faggots that forgot your Oresunds denbts.

Gibsmedat!
>>
File: 1447008107639.png (276 KB, 1282x768) Image search: [Google]
1447008107639.png
276 KB, 1282x768
>>774807
>tfw Hungarian ancestors
>tfw no Austroturk reparations
>>
>>775960
No, you give us money for Stockholm blodbad and Christian Tyrann!!
>>
>France will never pay reparations to Haiti
http://millionsforreparations.org/haitireparations.html

More than 20 billions that Haitians will never see, though considering the endemic corruption existing there I'm not so sure it would help much. And it has been more than 150 years after all.
>>
File: booker.jpg (98 KB, 1000x568) Image search: [Google]
booker.jpg
98 KB, 1000x568
>>774637
bait, abusing black people's fears of racism, trolling dumb white people who ordinarily wouldn't care about race
>>
Rome brought civilization the barbarians of Europe. All of Western Civilization is still basically in Rome's image.
>>
>>776019
>Rome brought civilization
lol
>>
>>774637

This video illustrates the perfect response to the descendants of victims of persecution from various entities who believe in some sort of reperatoinal payment to alleviate their historical pain of their ancestors

Please give a watch and also, please keep an open mind and try to give this message a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H-Y7MAASkg
>>
>>775966
No you gib us money for Skåne.
>>
File: 124231.png (45 KB, 476x1043) Image search: [Google]
124231.png
45 KB, 476x1043
>>776142
No, actually, you pay us money for the last few hundred years of proper language lessons we have been giving them.
>>
>>774724

/thread
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.