[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what are some of the most ugly and hellishly horrifying moments
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54
File: Game The forsaken ones 3.jpg (48 KB, 783x1000) Image search: [Google]
Game The forsaken ones 3.jpg
48 KB, 783x1000
what are some of the most ugly and hellishly horrifying moments in human history?
>>
>>77061
The stuff De Las Casas had to witness.
>>
>>77061

I have to imagine that it must have been fucking terrifying for the Native American injuns to have experienced contact with Europeans.

Probably vice versa as well.
>>
>>77061
id imagine being raided by the mongolians has to be up there somewhere, also being an innocent, free first world white person and being kidnapped by the arab warlod and forced into slavery... shits kinda fucked man. To taste freedom only to know how badly your suffering. I heard Americans even got captured.
>>
At the risk of stating the obvious, the Holocaust can be seen as a pretty horrifying series of moments.
>>
>>77061
The British Occupation of Ireland and the genocides and massacres that coincided with it
>>
1054 and 1517 to present
>>
>>77105

colonization had to happen, those minorities were asking for it playing their bongo drums and hootin n hollering. everyone who was encountered by the chinese were lucky, white man not so much.
>>
File: 1380911209002.jpg (119 KB, 1247x817) Image search: [Google]
1380911209002.jpg
119 KB, 1247x817
gives me a feel
>>
File: 1365720525321.jpg (50 KB, 235x229) Image search: [Google]
1365720525321.jpg
50 KB, 235x229
When the world lost the Library of Alexandria.
>>
>>77292
k
>>
China in the 30s.
>>
>>77341
Damn, this turned to a feels thread pretty quick.
>>
>>77341
>a bunch of rotten scrolls and recipes
oh da horror
>>
>>77061
The holocaust. Concentration camps in general actually. Basically hell on Earth. I can't even imagine what those people must have been feeling or thinking when they went through all that torture and forced labour and then were rounded up into the gas chambers and slowly and painfully left to die.

>inb4 polfags.
>>
Sack of Baghdad must've been something else

"Iraq in 1258 was very different from present day Iraq. Its agriculture was supported by canal networks thousands of years old. Baghdad was one of the most brilliant intellectual centers in the world. The Mongol destruction of Baghdad was a psychological blow from which Islam never recovered. With the sack of Baghdad, the intellectual flowering of Islam was snuffed out. Imagining the Athens of Pericles and Aristotle obliterated by a nuclear weapon begins to suggest the enormity of the blow. The Mongols filled in the irrigation canals and left Iraq too depopulated to restore them."

"They swept through the city like hungry falcons attacking a flight of doves, or like raging wolves attacking sheep, with loose reins and shameless faces, murdering and spreading terror...beds and cushions made of gold and encrusted with jewels were cut to pieces with knives and torn to shreds. Those hiding behind the veils of the great Harem were dragged...through the streets and alleys, each of them becoming a plaything...as the population died at the hands of the invaders."
>>
WW1 trenches and gulags seem pretty high up there, I dont think anyone mentioned them, at least specifically
>>
UNIT 731
>>
Battle of Suiyang
>>
>>77413
This, the Mongols were horrifying. Baghdad was the cultural and scientific center of the world at that time, ever since the Mongols destroyed it, the Muslims fell into the Dark Ages and never recovered. Quite a shame, they were pretty nice in their Golden Age.

I'd say the most brutal was Timur, to call this guy insane is an understatement, he makes the likes of Vlad the Impaler look like little girls.
>>
The first day of the Battle of the Somme. Over 100,000 casualties on both sides in a single day. It must have been a terrifying sight to see tens of thousands of men ripped to shreds in No-Man's-Land without even a thought.
>>
>>77389

A treasure trove of documents detailing now forever lost histories and cultures? With linguistic information that might've helped us reconstruct other proto-languages and prehistorical migrations? Preenlightenment science? Witty bantz from all the world's cultures?

What, you really think a couple of peasants dying compares to that kind of loss?

>>77399

>the holocaust
>happening

oh shit wrong board again
>>
File: 1442666388162.jpg (26 KB, 602x422) Image search: [Google]
1442666388162.jpg
26 KB, 602x422
>>77389
>>
>>77061
Whatever this monster was involved in
>>
>>77334
What is it?
>>
>>77552
>What, you really think a couple of peasants dying compares to that kind of loss?
yes, life is more valuable than knowledge.
how do you know one of those peasants that died was the next alexander? or the next founder of an empire?
>>
File: 1280px-Anton_Dostler_1945_b.jpg (163 KB, 1280x1039) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Anton_Dostler_1945_b.jpg
163 KB, 1280x1039
>>77601

General Anton Dostler.
>>
>>77642
>life is more valuable than knowledge

And yet you're here
>>
Living in Russia during the 1990s.
>>
Ashoka's destruction of Kalinga was enough for him to renounce violence altogether so I imagine that must've been pretty nasty
>>
>>77569
The burning and rape of numerous villages in Belorussia and the rape of Warsaw?
>>
>Rape of Nanking
>women and girks raped by entire squads and oerhaps even companies of jap soldiers
>babies taken from rheir mothers and killed in sadistic ways
>men executed in and around the city for sport

>Capture of Jerusalem during the first crusade by Crusaders
>sources tell of women being raped
>large scale executions of Muslims and Jews, regardless of age or gender
>looting of valuables
>It's said that those within the walls had to wade through blood up to their ankles or higher in the streets

>Occupation under ISIS controlled territory
>slavery
>genocide
>rape
>public executions in an extremely cruel manner
>>
File: civilwarprisonerofwar.jpg (109 KB, 312x784) Image search: [Google]
civilwarprisonerofwar.jpg
109 KB, 312x784
There have been lots of ugly moments. Pic related.
The Battle of Agincourt was pretty grim

>As the battle was fought on a recently ploughed field, and there had recently been heavy rain leaving it very muddy, it proved very tiring to walk through in full plate armour. The French monk of St. Denis describes the French troops as "marching through the middle of the mud where they sank up to their knees. So they were already overcome with fatigue even before they advanced against the enemy". The deep, soft mud particularly favoured the English force because, once knocked to the ground, the heavily armoured French knights had a hard time getting back up to fight in the mêlée. Barker states that some knights, encumbered by their armour, actually drowned in their helmets.
>>
File: czesto-0.jpg (69 KB, 744x558) Image search: [Google]
czesto-0.jpg
69 KB, 744x558
The Deluge was pretty brutal. Poland is the punching bag of Europe.
>>
>>77719
damn this is true
>>
>>77681
which venerates my point you absolute pleb
>>
>>77719
Examples? How was living in 90's Russia worse than living in Stalinist USSR? Genuinely curious.
>>
When Napoleon lost. An imperial Europe with non-keky values would be so much better than this kraut bitch run 'democratic' abomination.
>>
>>77934
The government had just collapsed...
>>
>>77511
First day of the Somme was so fucking stupid. Marching in extended lines at a walking pace in the face of withering machine gun and artillery fire, what a fucking disaster.
>>
>>77968
I see...
>>
File: havada-carpisan-mermiler_-.jpg (51 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
havada-carpisan-mermiler_-.jpg
51 KB, 800x600
Gallipoli because I know more about it than the rest of WWI, but WWI in general must've been horrifying

>anzac soldiers literally got so exhausted most of them would simply slump in their own shits while in the loo and drown
>shit would fester like crazy, so many bullets flying out they start hitting each other in the air
>turks keep running out of ammo and have to bayonet charge machinegun emplacements
>turkish starvation reaches a degree where they start to eat the leathers of their boots

Iunno how much of that shit is true but it's still pretty bad man.
>>
>>77850
Thanks Mr. Skeltal
>>
>>77934
Not the same anon,

I don't know much of oost Soviet Russian history but I'm damn sure Stalinist USSR was far worse. So I don't think the previous anon meant that it was worse, just that it was also horrible.
>>
Are those capsules smeared in poop?
>>
>>78009
>oost-Soviet
>Post-Soviet
>Fix'd
>>
>>78057
>>77984
>>
Everything past 20th century was fucked desu.
>>
File: IFWT_Skull_On_Poll.png (187 KB, 504x403) Image search: [Google]
IFWT_Skull_On_Poll.png
187 KB, 504x403
>>77061
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Catalaunian_Plains

"Cadavera vero innumera"

>For, if we may believe our elders, a brook flowing between low banks through the plain was greatly increased by blood of the slain. It was not flooded by showers, as brooks usually rise, but was swollen by a strange stream and turned into a torrent by the increase of blood. Those whose wounds drove them to slake their parching thirst drank water mingled in gore. In their wretched plight they were forced to drink what they thought was the blood they had poured from their own wounds.
>>
>>77399
>muh muh polfags
Kinda getting sick of this. As a /tg/ fag every time i wanted to talk about history id go to /pol/ or /k/ when /tg/ failed me. Fucker half of everyone posting here are from /pol/ and they arent blind racist skinheads. Stop with the "guys a pol fag is holding a gun to my head and ruining this board" bullshit.
>>
>>77399
Unless you're talking about the Typhoid epidemic I don't see whats so scary about the Holocaust
>>
>>77552
>A treasure trove of documents detailing now forever lost histories and cultures?
Culture is objectively, literally useless.
>With linguistic information that might've helped us reconstruct other proto-languages and prehistorical migrations?
Same, knowledge of things that ancient is useless and doesn't help humanity in any way.
>Preenlightenment science?
Anything that could have possible been discovered back in those days has already been rediscovered a thousand times over.
>>
>>77399
My cousin's grandpa was spent 4 years in an austrian concentration camp.
He said it was actually pretty chill there, lots of work but they fed him well too.

He was basically let go during the end of the war, went back to USSR and they put him in a gulag for treason for another 5 years.
>>
>>78057
Some of them probably are, considering just how shitty the battles were.
>>
>>78116

Nigga this has to be bait or you are incredible stupid

Stupid like those libertarianism ancap who believe mass immigration will help germany, this level of dumbass
>>
>>78158
You could have been sent to the Gulag for literally anything, it was absurd.
>>
>>78222
Stalin's best friend had a habit of raping young girls and sending anyone who complained to gulags.
It's estimated he raped about 600 girls during his lifetime.
Pretty ebin.

Tbh, if I was in his shoes, I would too.
>>
>>77227
>Implying it happened like you think it did
>>
File: gallup-poll.png (44 KB, 690x427) Image search: [Google]
gallup-poll.png
44 KB, 690x427
>>78009
>I don't know much of oost Soviet Russian history but I'm damn sure Stalinist USSR was far worse.
The majority of former Soviet people consider the fall of the USSR to be a bad thing to this day.

Soviet nostalgia is very real, don't believe the Amerifat propaganda.
>>
Salem Witch Trials
>>
>>78273
I mean if your Stalin's BFF you might s well enjoy the perks while you can. Worse case scenario is you get caught and literally erased from history.
>>
>>77061
Your birth
>>
>>78222
>>78273
I read that some party leader's daughter went missing for a while at a gathering and he FLIPPED HIS SHIT because Stalin's rape buddy was there too.

She was fine but her dad had a panic attack.
>>
File: image_3.jpg (100 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
image_3.jpg
100 KB, 736x736
>>
>>77227
Starvation and typhus running rampant throughout the POW camps isn't that hellishly horrifying.
>>
>>77224
The entire Siege of Baghdad by the Mongols is the stuff of nightmares.
>>
>>78273

What was this guy's name? I want to read about him.
>>
File: Atomic_bombing_of_Japan.jpg (822 KB, 2880x1709) Image search: [Google]
Atomic_bombing_of_Japan.jpg
822 KB, 2880x1709
>the lives of hundreds of thousands of people wiped out in an instant
>>
>>77061
The shoah of course. Never before or since had 6 million innocent people been killed over their religion and culture.
>>
>>78516
The firebombing of japan was also super fucked up
>>
Being a British soldier during the Battle of Saragahri. Vastly outnumbered (21 to 10,000) would have to be terrifying.
>>
>>78516
>in an instant

I think if anything this makes it less brutal to be honest.
>>
>WW1 was so horrifying that the troops started fraternizing
>the officers on both sides would execute the soldiers to force them to fight again
I think that's pretty much the point where humanity went to shit.
>>
>>78471
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavrentiy_Beria
I think it's this guy.
>>
>>78586

Yeah but it sucked for the people who got blinded by the blast and got their skin melted and then got poisoned by the radiation.
>>
>>78516
see
>>78532

More people died in the firebombing, and to be honest 100-200,000 people dying instantly + a few thousand radiation deaths is probably less overall suffering than a bunch of people burning to death and dying of smoke inhalation.
>>
>>78586
Perhaps, but imagine seeing that gigantic mushroom cloud in the sky, blinding hot red light, your skin burning as the shockwave approaches.
If that's not hellish, I don't know what is
>>
>>78617
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manila_massacre
Fucking animals deserved it.
>>
File: nanjing.jpg (12 KB, 188x252) Image search: [Google]
nanjing.jpg
12 KB, 188x252
>>78516
>had contests between officers of who could kill 100 people the fastest with their swords
> reports say around 20,000 women were raped in the first month alone
>massive amount of civilians and unarmed soldiers who surrendered murdered in cold blood
I'd say the occupation of Nanjing was worse.
>>
>Operation Keelhaul was carried out in Northern Italy by British and American forces to repatriate Soviet Armed Forces POWs of the Nazis to the Soviet Union between August 14, 1946 and May 9, 1947.[1] The term has been later applied – specifically after the publication of Julius Epstein's eponymous book – to other Allied acts of often forced repatriation of former residents of the USSR after the ending of World War II that sealed the fate of millions[2] of post-war refugees fleeing the Soviet Union.[3]

>This immediately affected the liberated Soviet prisoners of war,[4] but was also extended to all Soviet refugees

>Among those handed over were White émigré-Russians who had never been Soviet citizens, but who had fought for Nazi Germany against the Soviets during the war, including General Andrei Shkuro and the Ataman of the Don Cossack host Pyotr Krasnov. This was done despite the official statement of the British Foreign Office policy after the Yalta Conference that only Soviet citizens, who had been such after September 1, 1939, were to be compelled to return to the Soviet Union or handed over to Soviet officials in other locations (for example see the Repatriation of Cossacks after World War II).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Keelhaul

The darkly humourous part is that IIRC Luxembourg (or Liechtenstein, I forget which) refused to hand over Soviet refugees - to which the "dreaded USSR"...did absolutely nothing
>>
>>78702
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_war_crimes
The fuckers deserved everything.
You reap what you sow and in August of 1945, the japs reaped hellfire.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazino_affair

>They were trying to escape. They asked us "Where's the railway?" We'd never seen a railway. They asked "Where's Moscow? Leningrad?" They were asking the wrong people: we'd never heard of those places. We're Ostyaks. People were running away starving. They were given a handful of flour. They mixed it with water and drank it and then they immediately got diarrhea. The things we saw! People were dying everywhere; they were killing each other.... On the island there was a guard named Kostia Venikov, a young fellow. He was courting a pretty girl who had been sent there. He protected her. One day he had to be away for a while, and he told one of his comrades, "Take care of her," but with all the people there the comrade couldn't do much.... People caught the girl, tied her to a poplar tree, cut off her breasts, her muscles, everything they could eat, everything, everything.... They were hungry, they had to eat. When Kostia came back, she was still alive. He tried to save her, but she had lost too much blood.
>>
>>77334
>>77655
Can anyone remember the name of the Japanese general that the Allies executed because a subordinate did something that the general wasn't - and couldn't possibly be - aware of?
>>
The massacre of Verden was pretty bad. Charlemagne executed 4,500 prisoners because they refused to convert to Christianity. Given the population density at the time, that's an absurdly huge number.

Here's Christopher Lee singing about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvKRbi2ovDY
>>
File: 3.gif (1 MB, 500x278) Image search: [Google]
3.gif
1 MB, 500x278
>>77399
This is about Real thing anon
>>
>>78868
If I'm not mistaken, this was the general whose subordinates did the rape of Nanking? I suck at names and specifics though, so I don't know which general it was.
>>
>>77966
VIVE L'EMPREUR
>>
Dresden
>>
Who is the David Attenborough of historical documentaries?
I'd love to put something on about some of these events when I go to bed.
>>
Your average human is a slave to his reptilian brain and would kill, rape and torture without hesitation for no reason at all.
Fucking animals don't torture their prey in such elaborate ways as humans do.
And all of that while humans have an entire section of their brain dedicated to feeling empathy.
>>
File: edgey.jpg (9 KB, 235x215) Image search: [Google]
edgey.jpg
9 KB, 235x215
>>79060
>>
File: 7Sokri9.png (266 KB, 525x477) Image search: [Google]
7Sokri9.png
266 KB, 525x477
>>79060
>>
>>79096
>>79113
What's so edgy about that?
>>
>>79050
dan carlin
>>
>>79050
David Starky or maybe Neil Oliver.
>>
>>77265
This. Anyone here is also also afraid immensely by the power of eeuu?
>>
>>79060
other social, empathic, intelligent animals are the same. we have a cruel side in direct proportion to our compassionate side.

dolphins can be horrible cunts for example and chimps practise war, murder, torture and genocide
>>
>>78294
I like how that chart completely ignored Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Poland and East Germany who overwhelmingly despised soviet occupation.
>>
>>79357
And it's funny how it's those exact countries that didn't end up as shitholes after the fall of USSR.
>>
>>77770
The rape of nanking is why i lost hope for humans :)
>>
>>77061
Vlad the Impaler living up to his name. Or torture executions like seeing people ripped apart, slowly. Or that milk and honey thing the Greeks did where you're eaten alive by bugs.
>>
>>77061
Something that happened to a Chilean Folk singer by the name of Victor Jara, who, along with many others were detained in a football stadium and both tortured and killed. The case of Victor Jara was pretty fucked up as he had his hands broken by officers and made to play a guitar. The last thing he wrote while in prison was the following:

There are five thousand of us here
in this small part of the city.
We are five thousand.
I wonder how many we are in all
in the cities and in the whole country?
How hard it is to sing
when I must sing of horror.
Horror which I am living,
horror which I am dying.
To see myself among so much
and so many moments of infinity
in which silence and screams
are the end of my song.
>>
>>77399
i agree with you anon. the horror of hiding from the nazis as a jew during occupation must have also been terrible, I spoke with an old jewish woman in ukraine that was protected by her kolkhoz supervisor from the nazis in the caucasus during ww2, crazy stuff
>>
>>77437
The horror.
>>
>>79572
Met some Jewish survivors of the holocaust. They were kids at the time. They were sweet (like nice and bakes you cookies) old people. I was a terrible middle schooler and wish I payed more attention to what they had to say, but I was more concerned with chatting with my friends instead of learning boring history.
>>
>>78516
>>78780
More lives would have been lost from a full invasion of Japan by the allied forces.

The Japanese deserved no sympathy for their war atrocities during this period.

Good job, America.
>>
>>78600
This. It was so shit that ended the glorification of war
>>
>>78603
it is. crazy, I was reading in Montefiore's book about stalin a while ago about how he buried all his victims beneath his mansion. it is an embassy building now, and they are still finding bodies while renovating. also fucked to think that he had the chance to be head of the ussr for a short period after 1953. super interesting guy really, he was insanely messed up mentally, but he was one of the most highly functioning upper level politburo members intelligence wise, he probably would have made the USSR stronger than kruschev or stalin, albeit his plans would have probably involved much more human cost.
>>
File: 1446239545637.jpg (34 KB, 262x360) Image search: [Google]
1446239545637.jpg
34 KB, 262x360
>>79572
>>79660
Oy vey
>>
>>77061

Most of the genocides but the Mughals were particularly bad and are considered pretty much everything bad about Islamic Conquest, also the roaring sixties with the Americans and the Russians glaring at one another ready to put us collectively back to the stoneage. Then there's any loss of knowledge, Alexandria comes to mind but also Mongols in Baghdad and the Qin Dynastic purges.Then of course we have modern warfare that has been some of the most overwhelmingly brutal shit with even an incompetent boob being able to use high powered weaponry. All the while we have lost some of the most brilliant people far too early when they could have spent several decades improving things.

And that's just the start. Mind you, I think this is just the state of affairs, we've got capacity for both amazing acts and heinous ones. That's just history.
>>
>>78516
this is a really good article about it
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1946/08/31/hiroshima
>>
>>79860
>even an incompetent boob being able to use high powered weaponry

go directly to /k/ and tell them that.
>>
>>77413
Pretty fucking metal desu
>>
File: Bison skull pile.png (175 KB, 576x461) Image search: [Google]
Bison skull pile.png
175 KB, 576x461
Samarkand

>Population: 200'000.
>Aqueducts bringing water from all around.
>Richest city of the empire, where artisans produced a lot of goods.

Enter Genghis Khan.

>City was conquered in less than a week.
>30'000 artisans were brought back to Mongolia.
>The rest of them were killed.
>The skulls of women and men all were gathered in pyramids.
>>
>>80474
>>77413
The myth of bloodthirsty mongols is nothing but western propaganda.

The mongol empire was extremely tolerant and would always offer surrender before attacking. The thing is, executing messengers was customary in all the cities that the mongols conquered, and that was a considered a huge insult by mongols. So they'd end up wiping out the city in return.
>>
>>80596
That doesn't change the fact that their retaliation was incredible cruel. Destroying what allowed the cities to survive as well as killing most, or all the population just to set an example... was pretty hardcore.
>>
>>77642
>how do you know one of those peasants that died was the next alexander? or the next founder of an empire?
Realistically, it's probably for the best that they died, then.

When great leaders paint the map, they paint it in blood.
>>
>>80816
It's a nice tactic though. Either you play ball and are treated extremely tolerantly and pleasant by conqueror standards or you don't and they unleash hell upon you.

The stronger the difference between these options the more enticing it is to surrender.
>>
>>77261
LOL no

>>77061

That we didn't invade the Argentinian mainland after their invasion of our soil. That would have sent shivers up spines, orgasms down trouser legs and a sternly irrevocable message throughout the rest of modern history for foreign nation and fifth column alike that the British and all the Anglosphere are never to be messed with and are completely off limits.
>>
File: feels ira man.jpg (91 KB, 767x575) Image search: [Google]
feels ira man.jpg
91 KB, 767x575
>>82102
Loyalist kek detected
>>
>>82248

I have strong Paddy dirt blood in my veins but I reject you and your bitter, feckless loser culture.

Get with the program! We could have been something greater together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKkcTpCur7g
>>
My birth
>>
>>82437
We could have been if you didn't treat us like fucking animals
>>
File: Battle of Suiyang.png (62 KB, 321x792) Image search: [Google]
Battle of Suiyang.png
62 KB, 321x792
>>77061
>>
File: 1438717124591.jpg (30 KB, 398x362) Image search: [Google]
1438717124591.jpg
30 KB, 398x362
>>82580
>20,000-30,000 civilians were eaten
>>
File: 1446120175449.jpg (230 KB, 800x778) Image search: [Google]
1446120175449.jpg
230 KB, 800x778
>>82580
>20,000-30,000 civilians were eaten
>>
9/11 was mankind's darkest hour, senpai. Biggest tragedy since Pearl Harbor.
>>
>>77061

>Some of you Arabs are alright, don't get sieged in Baghdad tomorrow
>>
>>82559
We didn't treat us like animals.

They gave my father's grandfather's (O'Rodaigh) family and my mother's grandmother's (Cochrane) family a new chance in England in Leicester in the 1800's to live and work in Britain and gain citizenship. The Irish famine was the cause of Irish farmers greedily starving their fellow countrymen because they could export their own goods for greater profit overseas. Vote UKIP, donate your blood and make a positive change in the world.
>>
>Hiroshima
>Hiroshima taking over 4chan
>Nagasaki
>>
>>80596

This. Though >>80816 sums up the other side pretty nicely.

It was basically "Nah bro it's all chill, just pay us a tithe, give us any spare equipment you got, put your allegiance with the Khan, keep order, and don't start shit, otherwise 90% of you are going to die."

Not a bad policy for an empire tbqhwy
>>
>>82102
Islas Malvinas Argentinas friendo. And we never could have you traitor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcnDiLHGUL8
>>
>>82802
Ultimately, that was also his mistake.
He didn't assimilate any of his colonies, so they all retained their identities and then rekt his successor states later.
>>
>>78348
I take it you've not experienced typhus and starvation running rampant in a POW camp.

Also, gas chambers.
>>
>>79813

His plans for reform were too extreme and frightened the other politburros after Stalin died. He wanted to do away with most elements of Marxism because he felt they were useless and unhelpful, and he wanted to disengage from East Germany because it was an irrelevant entanglement. The rest of the high party members feared for their own positions if Beria took power, and ganged up to have him killed.
>>
>>78516
>the lives of hundreds of thousands of people wiped out in an instant
>hundreds of thousands
Swing and a miss
>>
The final days of the American Indian Wars, leading up to Wounded Knee. To know that you were amongst the last free people of this northern continent, surrounded by machine guns, alcohol, & barbed wire on all sides.
>>
Donald Trump running for president. If he wins, he will start a nuclear world war 3.
>>
>>82892
Yeah, the O'Rodaighs were from Mayo. Once. A long time ago, a time that has been and passed and gone. It's over. Now it's only rumours and myths and legends and no right-minded man should ever care for those.

I am no traitor. I am no traitor especially to some mythical past because I look forward, as you should, I look forward because there are far greater crises facing us right now than what the official line is in some dusty history book. We need to acknowledge our similarities; you and I as we are here right now and fight the fight burdened upon us than these old squabbles from men not left alive.
>>
>>78158
>welcome home ivan
>hi mother
>time for prison ivan
>bye mom
>>
American civil war
WW2 on the Russian front
WW1 in general
Vietnam War
In no specific order
I'm sure ISIS doesn't like being bombed on a weekly basis either, so that's pretty fucked up fir them I bet
>>
>>83234
>I'm sure ISIS doesn't like being bombed on a weekly basis either, so that's pretty fucked up fir them I bet

Maybe they should fuck off, then.
>>
Democratic Kampuchea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambodian_genocide
> The KR policies of forced relocation of the population from urban centres, torture, mass executions, use of forced labor, and malnutrition led to the deaths of an estimated 25 percent of the total population (around 2 million people).
>>
>>79572
Ukrainians literally hailed the Nazis and men tried to join by the thousands.
Even today the Neo-nazi Ukrainian party is in power.
>>
The bombing of Dresden...
The following is the account of Otto Sailer-Jackson, a 60 year old animal trainer turned Dresden Zoo inspector. Otto loved animals and described the moments following the raid as the most heart breaking thing he had ever had to do, and it haunted him:

'We did what we had to do, but it broke my heart. I collapsed physically and emotionally. Everything that happened after that, happened as if behind a veil. I was burnt out inside. I acted mechanically, as if I had no room for pain in my heart'

'The elephants gave spine-chilling screams, their house was still standing but an explosive bomb of terrific force landed behind it, lifted the dome of the house, turned it around, and put it back on again. The heavy iron doors had been completely bent, and the huge iron sliding doors which shut off the house form the terraces, had been completely lifted from its hinges. When I and some of the other men, including the elephant, warden Galle, managed to break into the elephant house, we found the stable empty.

For a moment we stood there helpless, but then the elephants told us where they were by their heart-breaking trumpeting. We rushed out onto the terrace again. The baby cow elephant was lying in the narrow barrier-moat on her back, her legs up to the sky. She had suffered severe stomach injuries and could not move.

A 90 cwt cow elephant had been flung clear across the barrier moat and fence by some terrific blast wave, and just stood there trembling. We had no choice but to leave these animals to their fate for the moment.'
>>
>>78868
Tomoyuki Yamashita, blamed for the Rape of Manila despite officially declaring it an open city and withdrawing the IJA forces under his command. Soon after after an IJN admiral disregarded the Army order and moved his own forces in and initiated the bloody battle in which 100,000 Filipinos were killed and the city was essentially destroyed.

After the war Yamashita was blamed for the massacre and executed, although most neutral observers have concluded his execution had more to do with his humiliation of the British by capturing Singapore and for his continued successful resistance on Luzon up to the official surrender, which frustrated MacArthur's desire to completely liberate the Philippines.
>>
File: 1312441414__33_.jpg (115 KB, 560x415) Image search: [Google]
1312441414__33_.jpg
115 KB, 560x415
>>83328

'….In the same building as the hippos was the humanoid ape house. This also had been destroyed. Not a single ape could be seen, except for the gibbon, who crept out from under a corner. The creature held out it's hands to Sailer-Jackson, who saw that it had no hands, merely stumps. Haunted by the expression of suffering on it's face, he drew his pistol and shot the beast'

Old warden Lehmann went into the bear house while the flames roared up from it's roof. His favourite brown bear mother, who had two cubs, was still there, had been blinded by incendiary bombs. But she knew Lehmann's voice and let him to remove the cubs to safety…The female polar bear was there too, dreafully burned on the back by the thermite (or phosphorus) but covering and protecting her two cubs. Without making a sound, the mother kept the cubs pinned down with her huge paws so they could not run away and out into danger in the open. It would be a brave man who tried to take them away from her, but the old grey haired warden managed it. As the mother was in terrible agony she was dispatched with a pistol shot. Her cubs could have been reared from the bottle, but there was no milk in the ruins of Dresden, they soon died of hunger.'

The Devil's Tinderbox: Dresden, 1945, Alexander McKee (2000)
>>
>>82733
correction:
>We didn't treat us like animals. You're being as bad as a fucking Dindu for your one-sided history (read: been and gone bullshit) whining

WE gave my father's grandfather's (O'Rodaigh) family and my mother's grandmother's (Cochrane) family a new chance in England in Leicester in the 1800's to live and work in Britain and gain citizenship. The Irish famine was the cause of Irish farmers greedily starving their fellow countrymen because they could export their own goods for greater profit overseas. Vote UKIP, donate your blood and make a positive change in the world.
>>
>>83355
Well I'm sad now.
>>
The Khmer Rouge regime in Cambodia. Banned love and laughter, and had high-schools and universities turned into prisons. The most infamous prison is S-21, which had a survival rate of 00.04%, with its most infamous features being the killing fields, baby smashing tree, and dissection of people while still alive

http://www.gq.com/story/cambodia-khmer-rouge-michael-paterniti?printable=true
>>
File: I'll get you for this, pepemaru.png (160 KB, 451x387) Image search: [Google]
I'll get you for this, pepemaru.png
160 KB, 451x387
>>83328
>>83355
Fucking anglos and burgers
>>
>>78516
The only time in the history of man where a city was wiped off the face of the earth in an instant
>>
>>78822
Hiroshima and Nagasaki was like the fucking wrath of God. Except it was done by humans
>>
>>77601
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-R5yOqwT7U
>>
>>82102
Not a chance the United States would have let you invade the mainland.

The days of the Empire are long gone.
>>
>>83660
Pol Pot is hopefully being boiled in his pol pot in hell
>>
>>77369
>just chill in Shanghai or Tianjin
>make mad dosh
>complain to the consul if the natives get uppity
>they send in the Yangtze Patrol
not horrible at all
>>
>>84033
>Fighting America post 1940

Pretty much anyone on the receiving end of Uncle Sam's Red White and Blue Freedom Package has a living hell in store for them. Even worse is that it seems to be a bit of a pattern for American bombing campaigns to lack over site and tend to shift blame as soon as civilian casualties are involved. Although Canada is getting bad too since we've had two air raids in the last year which have supposedly killed civilians.
>>
>>83660
This.
>>
>>78516
It was only fair play
>>
File: 1398077525204.jpg (56 KB, 663x511) Image search: [Google]
1398077525204.jpg
56 KB, 663x511
>>79060
There's a saying that goes something like
>The civilized man is one meal away from savagery
As long as our basic needs our met we remain civilized, and that is that is why revolutions happen in the third world but no longer happen in the first world- something the elites are well aware of.
>>
>>83660
>According to the therapists who studied the group, their blindness was “linked to a dissociated cluster of primitive meanings, horrific images, and behavioral responses or muscular representations loosely organized around the incomprehensibility of the events and the desire or ‘need not to see.’
Literally Jesus Christ how horrifying.
>>
>>83660
Finding it really hard to take one of those metrosexual fashion magazines seriously but I'll give the article a chance.
Pol-pot was truly a monster
>>
>>83660
How the hell does shit even get to that point? What the hell were people thinking that shit like that would make their country better?
>>
File: spooky swamp.jpg (310 KB, 601x973) Image search: [Google]
spooky swamp.jpg
310 KB, 601x973
>>83660

Khmer Rouge was some special shit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Marshes

Here's some picks

>40,000 Iranian soldiers killed and wounded
>Iraqi defences, under continuous strain since 15 February, seemed close to breaking. However, they were saved by their use of chemical weapons and defence-in-depth, where they layered several defensive lines; even if the Iranians broke through the first line, they were usually unable to break through the second due to exhaustion and heavy losses
>Fighting took place in waters over 2 meters deep at times. Iraq in response to the attacks ran live electrical cables through the water, electrocuting numerous Iranian troops and then displaying their corpses on state television
>Heavy use of chemical weapons, mainly mustard gas
>>
>>84561
It isn't a coincidence that the first who were killed were the thinkers and leaders.
>>
>>77437
This.
The Rape of Nanking is bad too. Fucking Japs.
>>
>>82945
Not to sound like a pol faggot, but the evidence on hand doesn't exactly support the idea of gas chambers being used during the holocaust if you dismiss obviously biased Jewish/Soviet "first hand" accounts. That being said, being locked up in a camp with most of the people you know dying is pretty traumatic.
>>
>>78867
They just took people off the streets and sent them there? Jesus christ anon.
>>
>>85384
we NEED flags here, we need proper jap/korea historical discussion.
>>
>>78780
It would have been, but it didn't happen :^)
>>
Bubonic plague
>>
>>84827
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1990-08-15/news/9008150408_1_saddam-hussein-iraqi-president-saddam-majnoon
>>
>>78812
Something I'll always remember is grandpa telling how he was protesting against the forced repatriation at the port when a few Russians that had fleed to Sweden jumped into water and tried to drown themselves as they were about to be taken to a ferry back to Soviet Russia a year after the end of WWII. Surely they were brought back up and resuscitated.
The Swedish king advised everyone that had come from the Soviet Union to escape to Canada, USA, Australia or South America, otherwise the politicians may decide to remotely kill you.
>>
>>77341
rest in rip peace knowledge of the old world
>>
>>77719
Living in Russia ever
>>
>>78586
It's not the fact that they had to be in pain or not. It's the fact that humanity had reach a point where it could suddenly and deliberatly end life on a scale so ridiculously massive that even the inventor had to take a step back and be like: Oh shit. The fuck did I unleash on this world.
>>
>>77061
World War 1
>>
>>77261
Genocides and massacres? IRA please leave
>>
>>77061
Right now in North Africa
Any period of prolonged starvation (dust bowl, holodomar etc)
>>
>>77261
Britain did nothing wrong
>>
The Holocaust is up there, obviously. Rape of Nanking was pretty sickening too. Basically everything involving Nazis, Japs from ww2 and soviets. Bunch of animals, all of them.

The Mongols were pretty brutal too. Finding out that your city was next must have been terrifying.
>>
>>77261
Kek. It was bad but to even mention it with the other shit in this thread is laughable, and I'm Irish myself. There was no genocide either, stop perpetuating this myth.
>>
>>77061

you posting this thread.
>>
>>86166

>Finally, the rows were sprinkled with lime and covered over with a foot-thick tier of desert sand

I understand the sand part but why lime? If it's some tradition to pay respects to the dead it would sound absurd as fuck considering the bodies were used to build roads/paths through the marshes.
>>
the Black Death would have been horrifying to live through
>>
>>87020

Ah nevermind, it meant limestone not the fruit.
>>
>>86922
pretty lucky for america all its main competitors turned out to be hollywood tier movie villain
>>
>>77224
>free first world white person and being kidnapped by the arab warlod and forced into slavery
You referring to barbary corsairs? They even raided as far north as Iceland, I heard.
>>
>>85566
sorry but you sound like a pol faggot
>>
i was reading on the Hillsborough disaster the other day - thats a pretty crazy way to go out. certainly not up to the scale of some of these, but check out the pictures of faces smashed against the fence, very disturbing.

also the video of the station nightclub fire is terrifying.

none of these are up to the scale of the scenes of genocide and war in this thread. but for those who live in nice 1st world countries its a reminder that truly fucked up shit can happen when youre just out to have a good time
>>
>>77227
And those Einsatzgruppen precursor moments.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einsatzgruppen#Killings_in_the_Baltic_states
>>
The creation of the CIA.
Everything the CIA has done against foreign countries and to his own citizens.
Japs during WW2, the nazi during WW2.
>>
File: my lai.jpg (14 KB, 323x200) Image search: [Google]
my lai.jpg
14 KB, 323x200
>>87106
its always sad when civilians are targeted to fight insurgency

its unfortunate that the most barbaric strategies are often the most effective
>>
File: 1409625000245.jpg (136 KB, 546x700) Image search: [Google]
1409625000245.jpg
136 KB, 546x700
>>85566
r u srs
>>
Thirty Years War

Mass rape and plundering, famine, pestilence, witch hunts

Civilians were killed on a massive scale. Not only were their lands used as battlefields but foreign armies on both sides of the conflict would abuse them, rob them, and murder them. They would sweep through and take food and supplies like a locust swarm. They would leave rubble and decaying bodies on the battlefields during campaigns, leaving the civilians to clean the mess and suffer the diseases.

Imagine living in a place where mass amounts of foreign troops, in constantly shifting allegiances to one another, could at any moment choose to destroy your town completely. Where there is literally no one to protect you, someone with your well being in mind. Where your sons are forced to join militias, never to be seen again, and your daughters are raped and killed. Your entire civilization is a Risk board for foreign kings playing politics.

I know, this is very analogous to the proxy conflict we have now.
>>
Being on a ship or sub during a naval battle sounds like a bad time.
I remember some graphic details from reading a book about the Battle off Samar.

>shell hits the ships boilers
>700F steam shoots all over the boiler room
>literally cooks the men inside alive
>one man tries to climb out, one officer tires to help him out
>ends up pulling off all the flesh from his bones

Even after that the survivors were adrift for two days and a forth of them died from a combination of shark attacks, delirium, and dehydration.

Also apparently if you wanted to be a dick to enemy survivors in the water you could throw a depth charge in the middle of them and the resulting pressure wave would give them a sonic enema that would rip apart their eternal organs.
>>
>>77061
/pol/
>>
>>87098
>also the video of the station nightclub fire is terrifying.

That video gave me a phobia about going to packed, closed-in nightclubs.
>>
>>77061
Any war. Goddamn I hate people dying. I wish I could help them all.
>>
>>77642
False. Knowledge trancends lifetimes. It's our only way to extend our thoughts beyond death. Removing knowledge from the world entierly is like killing a soul.
>>
>>77389
Ignorance is darkness, knowledge is light.
>>
>>83660
Actually knew a woman from Cambodia who's parents were killed by the Khmer Rouge. One morning she woke up, and her father had his neck slit, the next day her mother was taken from her home, raped, and shot.

Nicest lady I ever knew, but seeing that shit will make you humble or fucked up, I guess.
>>
More Englishmen died during the English Civil War than in both WW1 and WW2 combined.
>>
>>87255
That's typical for civil wars.
>>
>>87176
Meanwhile France gleefully watched while funding the Protestants.
>>
Modern day Africa.
>>
>>87289
It gave us General Buttnaked though.
>>
>>87289
That's a nice propaganda movie you got there.
>>
>>87324
Why would ANYONE make such propaganda movie?

To push people away from Africa?
>>
File: hardcore-jorge.jpg (173 KB, 470x440) Image search: [Google]
hardcore-jorge.jpg
173 KB, 470x440
>>78116
I haven't seen a post this embarrassing in weeks.
>>
>>87352
To me it seemed bizarre too, until you phrased it like that. Now it just seems like the decent thing to do.
>>
>>87098
Now what if we took Hillsborough, and took the Station Nighclub Fire, and put the two together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIxN3ypB3rw
>>
The final few months of the eastern front in World War is everything horrific about the human race compacted into such a small amount of time and space.
>>
>>87352
to make people welcome poor refugees trying to run away from themselves
>>
File: rii.png (169 KB, 441x387) Image search: [Google]
rii.png
169 KB, 441x387
>>87393
>4:45

fucking christ
>>
>>87176
The Schwedentrunk (English: Swedish drink) is a method of torture and execution. The name was invented by German victims of Swedish troops during the Thirty Years' War. This method of torture was administered by other international troops, mercenaries, and marauders, and especially by civilians following the Swedish baggage train, who received no pay. It was used to force peasants or town citizens to hand over hidden money, food, animals, etc., or to extort sex from women.

They lay the bound servant on the ground, stuck a wooden wedge into his mouth, and poured into his belly a bucket full of foul manure water, which they called a Swedish Drink.
>>
>>85709

Flags will turn this place into /pol/ in two posts. It's better that we discuss shit like this with complete anonymity
>>
>>87176
The 30 Years War did however lead up to the realisation that productive civilians such as farmers needs to be protected from the ravages of war.
>>
Chernobyl
>>
The rape of Nanking comes to mind.
>>
>>77061
I've read the Thirty Years War was stupidly brutal

During the Siege of Suiyang the defenders ate almost all the the cities inhabitants
>>
>>87176

>Hakkapeliitat

This triggers Northern Germany
>>
>>87859
I wouldn't rule it out. The farmers couldn't get shit done with the mercenaries looting the countryside all the fucking time. So they had to eat something.
>>
>>77971
They had a huge artillery bombardment beforehand, but the British shells were pretty flawed and they had too long of a gap between stopping the bombardment and advancing on the Germans.
>>
>>87106
>Particularly active in the Kaunas pogrom was the so-called "Death Dealer of Kaunas", a young man who murdered Jews with a crowbar at the Lietukis Garage before a large crowd that cheered each killing with much applause; he occasionally paused to play the Lithuanian national anthem "Tautiška giesmė" on his accordion before resuming the killings.

Holy shit
>>
File: darkages.gif (9 KB, 363x323) Image search: [Google]
darkages.gif
9 KB, 363x323
>>77341
>The Library of Alexandria was destroyed all at once
>It didn't slowly decline over centuries
>We'd be on Mars right now if not for those dastardly Christians
>Agora was a fully historical movie with no bias whatsoever
>Buy The God Delusion and worship a neo-enlightenment view of history
>>
>>77227
It was bad but not one of the worst thing that happened in history, you can't even really know for sure what actually happened and what not (for example, the gas chambers).
>>
>>77399
>muh /pol/ boogeyman
when will this meme end?
>>
>>88684
When we stop seeing
>implying the holocaust was real
and similar comments all over the place.
>>
>>87737
I disagree. Shit like this does need flags, just not trips
>>
The slow destruction of the Norse settlement in Greenland. Imagine inbreeding, stagnating and running out of food slowly on a tiny patch of green at the edge of one of the world's biggest ice sheets, without any trees to make wood and escape. Shit's fucked.
>>
>>88796
It was their own fault, they could have just made ice canoes.
>>
>>80596
That's not true

Russians and Hungarians didn't execute the Mongol messengers
>>
>>88780
The only board that needs flags is /int/. The only other board where flags might be a positive influence is /sp/. No exceptions.
>>
>>89014
/pol/
>>
File: 1446467009598.png (1 MB, 1500x2407) Image search: [Google]
1446467009598.png
1 MB, 1500x2407
Since denier retards started shitting up this thread too, will dump informative images.
>>
File: 1446471332905.png (2 MB, 1500x3444) Image search: [Google]
1446471332905.png
2 MB, 1500x3444
>>89065
>>
>>89020
No.
>>
File: 1446471504863.png (2 MB, 1500x2702) Image search: [Google]
1446471504863.png
2 MB, 1500x2702
>>89070
>>
>>89080
But you see, even though they will read (or probably read) this, and even though it is well sourced, they'll simply carry on repeating their mantra.
This is exactly why Holocaust discussion should be banned, not because ''lie fears investigation'', but because these people are totally disinterested in discussion, they simply want to pummel you with their propaganda until you accept their reality.
Holocaust denial has nothing to do with seeking truth, it's purely political endeavor, which has two goals: to whitewash Nazi regime, and to smear Jews.
Of course, they completely ignore Nazis didn't just kill Jews during WW2, and that they executed millions of non-Jews in various ways.
But deniers, who are mostly American, lack even basic knowledge about WW2.
>>
File: 1381007077859.jpg (7 KB, 180x188) Image search: [Google]
1381007077859.jpg
7 KB, 180x188
>destruction of european cities in ww2
>christians and muslims destroying ancient knowledge
>the way incas went
and
>hearing every week on the news that isis destroyed some ancient monuments and shit
>>
>>88641
oh shut the fuck up you edgelord if there wasnt for the church mid ages would be even more darker
>>
>>78617
>100-200,000 people dying instantly + a few thousand radiation deaths is probably less overall suffering than a bunch of people burning to death and dying of smoke inhalation.
i just read this

i hope you're not a dictator or something writing this
>>
>>89237
Why? You think it's better to torture and kill a larger group of people than quickly kill a smaller group of people?
>>
>>77061
what is the context of that pic OP?
>>
>>89259
I read it as "200000 people dying instantly is better than a bunch of people (say 1000) getting slowly tortured to death", which just does not seem right.
>>
>>82730
Lel
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 312x279) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 312x279
>>88641
Having a resource is better than not having resource, you tryhard git.
>>
>>79459
>hat milk and honey thing the Greeks did where you're eaten alive by bugs
Pretty sure those were the persians. The greeks just hyped it up.
>>
>>77719
i was literally about to type this
>>
>>77061
They very moment Britan gave south Africa the right to rule Namibia.
>>
>>89209
Did you read the post, or just look at the infographic?
>>
>>87086
He is right though. Only evidence for the gas chambers is eye witness.

Evidence against includes conflicting eye witness of Jewish prisoners some saying they existed, some saying they didn't, the fact they were never referred to any official capacity, the lack of chemical evidence of zyklon B in the gas chambers, the fact that to kill such a large amount of people in such a short time you would need a fucking crazy amount of zyklon B, considering it's basically just delousing gas.

Point is, yes there were Jewish concentration camps. They were fuck horrible. They probably didn't have gas chambers though.
>>
>>89195
>hearing every week on the news that isis destroyed some ancient monuments and shit
For what purpose? What does someone even gain?
>>
Sventlana Alexiecich's books on Chernobyl really opened my eyes to how scary the whole thing was for the people going through it.

The workers were whisked away and their families had to track them down later in russia. When they got there the workers were basically falling apart and turning into goo, and people around them were getting sick.

No average person knew a single thing about radiation at the time so it was like this insane evil magic force. They just did things like change people cloths and burn them after a single use and started isolating the patients. They supposedly cleared out the floor above and below in this hospital as the workers were dying and doctors and nurses just went awol and NOPE'd out when people around the patients started getting sick as well.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.