[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Central America have more advanced civilizations than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
File: chichen_0.jpg (1 MB, 3150x1750) Image search: [Google]
chichen_0.jpg
1 MB, 3150x1750
Why did Central America have more advanced civilizations than South, North Americas and Australia until the arrival of EU?
>>
>>770310
Well the Incas lived on the sides of fucking mountains, so they fact that they were able to create a civilization at all is amazing.

Why did Central America progress more quickly than the rest of North America? I don't know. It could have been the fact that Central America was a crossroads of trade.
>>
>>770310
I don't remember the European Union ever contacting ancient America.
>>
File: CahokiaPainting.jpg (195 KB, 747x494) Image search: [Google]
CahokiaPainting.jpg
195 KB, 747x494
North America did have advanced civilizations. It wasn't all just tepees and nomads. Pic related is Cahokia, from Missouri.

Incas were South Americans btw.
>>
>>770310
Cant speak for other parts, but South America is very fitting for nomadic lifestyles
>>
>>770640
How so?
>>
>>770854
a huge portion of the eastern side was a luscious jungle
the tribes living there were those that made less effort to leave behind big constructions or written accounts, but they knew semi-rotational agriculture and pottery. some even knew metallurgy (but they used gold and platinum which they found on the surface, so no mining)
>>
>>771204
But how is "South America very fitting for a nomadic lifestyle"?
>>
>>770406
#AztecsWelcome
>>
>>771214
duuude
"luscious jungle"
food every fucking where
(dangerous animals too but that never discouraged them)
>>
>>771238
The western part of South America is more or less a wasteland.
Dry with hard terrain only the valleys are fertile.
>>
>>771238
Wtf bro I don't you've ever actually been in the Amazon. It fuckin discourages a nomadic lifestyle since it's insanely hard to traverse due to insane growth, rapids and tons of dangerous animals.
>>
>>771238
Rainforests are very hard to live in. They offer little to no edible plants and the soil sucks. The only way humans get by is hunting as well as gathering in the rare moments that a particular plant bears fruit and shit.
>>
>>770310
Large stone buildings is not a good measure of advancement
>>
>>771275
I don't know what is worse. Being mauled by a jaguar or comming across a tide of those flesh eating ants
>>
>>771313
You have been watching too much MacGyver.
>>
>>771275
>it's insanely hard to traverse due to insane growth, rapids and tons of dangerous animals
for you
they did it fine for centuries
(now they've been cornered into extinction or reservations by the white men)

>>771253
>The western part of South America is more or less a wasteland
still the Incas and other minor tribes strived. but yeah they're the ones with more visible civilization because of the harsh conditions
however the western part is small compared to the rainforest and the pampas

>>771313
>what is worse: being mauled by a jaguar or comming across a tide of those flesh eating ants
trust me, the worse is being bitten by a venomous insect
or this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candiru
>>
>>771281
>The only way humans get by is hunting as well as gathering in the rare moments that a particular plant bears fruit and shit.
hence nomadism
>>
>>770310
same reason the middle east had the more advanced civilization until the age of discovery

center area = center of trade
>>
>>771358
Animals don't migrate like that in the rainforest.

Show me a source on natives of the Amazon being nomads.
>>
More resources

Limestone is abundant in the Yucatan peninsula and that is where the Mayans and Aztecs were, which is one of the only stones early man ever really processed
>>
>>771440
only have it in brazilian portuguese, want it?
>>
>>770422
This this this this this.
Jesus christ OP just fucking google North American Cultures. Look up Chaco and mesa verde. Look up the Chumash.

God damn this bait 10/10. My fucking jimmies
>>
>>771350
I think the harsh enviroment forced the people to rely more on agriculture rather than hunting since almost no animals live.
Taking full advantage of the fertile valleys was important back then, some of the moche canals are still used now in Peru.
>>
File: kuhikugu.jpg (698 KB, 770x600) Image search: [Google]
kuhikugu.jpg
698 KB, 770x600
>>770310
North America did have impressive civilizations, in their own way. Cahokia was huge, and there were countless of 'Mississippian' mound culture settlements. I think I've seen estimates in the 1000 range. And in South, well theres the Andean civilizations like the Incas and Mochica. Tawantinsuyu or the Inca empire was one of the largest in the world at the time.

And given the rough terrain with little space between the coast and the mountains, it's pretty impressive. They had developed metallurgy before that came to Mesoamérica/Central America. And the quipu knotted strings was believed to be a writing system they developed. Hell one of their kings is said to have visited the Easter Islands.

And the Amazon was believed to be pretty urban and highly developed. They invented a soil that made the amazon fertile enough to grow, and some of it the remained from precolumbian days is still good today. In the Xingú región, they've found the city of Kuhikugu, with interconnected roadways that lead to other cities. Also see the archeological site of Marajo. Even Orellana one of the first explorers of the área spoke about the civilizations along the amazon river. Most discredited him later as bullshitting most of it. Until recent archeological work in the área is proving that he wasn't so off the mark actually. The problem is disease plus other stresses in the society, warfare amongst their indian neighbors and the encroaching european colonists and enslavement did a number on them. And the societies now, semi-nomadic and living in small villages are basically descendant survivors of an apocalyptic period.

pic related is Kuhikugu
>>
>>770422
>mud huts + wood fence = high civilisation
This should would have been embarrassing in 2000BC in the old world, but if it happens in 1400AD in the new world it's amazing.
Pretty pathetic.
>>
>>771475
I do
>>
>>771475
Sure.
>>
>>771497
Dude, that's obviously civilization. What is your problem?
>>
>>771498
>>771499
http://www.brasiliana.com.br/obras/na-planicie-amazonica/pagina/40/texto
can't find the tv documentary i saw it from so here, have random videos of naked tribes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nITmDt7annA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHVyh6DyKJQ
>>
>>771605
>naked children
Fucking creep.
>>
>>771610
>inb4 ban
>>
>>771503
He still believes in the Civ V model of history, where you unlock things on a tech tree as you advance through time.
>>
>>771623
Fuck off with your videogames, nerd.
>>
All this talk of North American civilization, and no mention of the Pueblo when they built shit like this.
>>
>>771653
Wow they build ruins sooooo civilized you fucking shitskin
>>
File: imagoke.png (2 KB, 244x226) Image search: [Google]
imagoke.png
2 KB, 244x226
>>771683
>they build ruins
>>
>>771653
Chaco Canyon is really intersting too. Ruins all over the canyon are connected to other sites by roads. I think there's speculation that it was a pilgrimage site for these outlying communities because of this and the fact that a lot of the buildings align with astronomical events.

Plus there's the whole possible cannibalism thing...
>>
File: pueblo_bonito_view.jpg (188 KB, 900x530) Image search: [Google]
pueblo_bonito_view.jpg
188 KB, 900x530
>>771715
I find it interesting that a lot of the ruins we see in the American Southwest are very similar to those we see in some areas of Iran and Anatolia. Really shows how multiple cultures can come up with similar solutions to problems independent of each other.
>>
>>771313
It's the mosquitoes and the diseases they carry that end up killing you
>>
>>770310
>Central America
>North America
>South America
>using modern political subdivisions with no meaning for pre Columbian civilizations

You should say Mesoamerica, the region that was made up of everything from Nicaragua to the Southern half of México, but then again, that would fuck up your shitpost.
>>
File: Toniná 1.jpg (292 KB, 960x568) Image search: [Google]
Toniná 1.jpg
292 KB, 960x568
>people actually denying that Mesoamerican civilizations were more advanced than North American ones
Seriously? Cahokia was impressive, but nothing else comes anywhere close to being a civilization.

The Andes are another story entirely.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.