[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the best Roman Imperial dynasty? What was the worst?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
What was the best Roman Imperial dynasty? What was the worst? Eastern Roman dynasties naturally count.

I personally think the Severan dynasty was the worst and most of the reasons for Rome's fall can be traced to them.
>>
>>769993
>>769993
The Valentinian dynasty
>>
>>769993
AURELIAN'S THWARTED LINE
>>
>>770349
But Aurelian is one of the best emperors
>>
File: 1431137998796.gif (2 MB, 425x481) Image search: [Google]
1431137998796.gif
2 MB, 425x481
Julio-Claudian a best
>>
Komnenoi best dynasty desu. If only they had appeared a few centuries earlier.
>>
File: flavius honorius augustus.jpg (16 KB, 260x306) Image search: [Google]
flavius honorius augustus.jpg
16 KB, 260x306
Everyone in the west after Theodosius
>>
>>770415
They weren't that bad, just not great and this couldn't stem the tide. At least they put people in charge that could. Now every emperor Valentinian Iii and everyone after him was shit. At least the East had competent rulers
>>
>>770435
Honorius was pretty bad, especially considering how he had Stilicho killed, you know, the guy who prevented massive invasions of the empire two or three times
>>
>>770404
well you literally have Julius Cesar and Julius Cesar (Augustus) but you also have Julius Cesar Augustus Germanicus (Caligula) and Julius Cesar Augustus Germanicus (Nero, who may not have been that bad)
>>
>>770440
I was going to make a rebuttal, but nope, you're right. At least we got Constantius III
>>
>>770440
Honorius was really upset when his chicken (Rome) had fallen
>>
>>770454
The best while the empire was still whole:
The Nerva-Antonine
Julio-Claudian
Flavian
Julio-Claudian
Constatinian
Shit
Severans
>>
>>770463
that was the joke with the filename>>770415
>>
>>770464
Nerva Antonine isn't really a dynasty though
>>
>>770466
The irony is that he outlived his rivals
himself did nothing of note against the enemies who infested his realm, but personally he was extraordinarily fortunate in occupying the throne till he died a natural death and witnessing the destruction of the multitude of tyrants who rose up against him
>>
>>770472
I'm surprised there isn't a movie about him, an 18 year old emperor who's life is threatened constantly by usurpers and foreigners but just wants to chill out with his pet birds
>>
>>770469
Not a family one, save Trajan-Hadrian, but each were adopted by the predecessor so that counts for something at least.

>>770483
Throw in being impotent and you have an Oscar nominee
>>
>>770440
>>770435
>>770415
Majorian was pretty good. He was on the verge of reconquering the West before Ricimer had him assassinated
>>
>>770412
Alexius Comnenus has to be one of the wisest and most patient rulers in history. I mean Christ, the amount of shit he had to put up with from his supposed crusader allies alone is bizarre.
>>
>>770768
*worst and most pathetic rulers in history* FTFY

He's the imperial equivalent of the guy who wants help changing his tire but can't be fucked to learn how.
>>
>>770464
>nerva-antonin
this, the adopted ones were the best
>>
>>769993
Flavian dynasty and its successors up to Mark Aurelius were very solid.
>>
>>769993
Worst is easily the Severan or Angeloi.
>>
Palaiologos

Hardest start
Did a gr8 job with what they had imo
>>
>>770412
I prefer the Macedonians
>>
Caligula was a the best ever. He was a badass, and gave not a fuck ever.

Worst was T.C. Nero, he fucking killed Jesus, lost germany, and murdered all roman prisoners he could, kinda like what hitler is accused of except he was literally in control of the excecutions.
>>
>>771669
Do you mean Tiberius or Nero?

Because Tiberius was the best ever.
>>
Best was probably the Flavian, with no bad emperors (Domitian did nothing wrong).
>>
>>770464
at least Alexander Severas tried, desu
>>
>>769993
The big one.

Julio-Claudians married into fucking everything. There was a claimant in the time of the Byzantines descended from, at least tentatively, The Julio Claudians, the Severans, The Theodosians, The Constantinians, Leo, and Zeno.
>>
>>770973
This rule seems to work for the entire history of the Empire. Tiberius II and Maurice fit the mould too, and they at elast Stemmed the tide that Heraclius would momentarily push back. To be honest, if no counter-attack had pushed the Persians from the East, then the Arabs would have utterly crushed them, and left themselves tired, the Persians exterminated, and Rome with several spare, full, trained field armies.
>>
>>770440
The civil war between Honorius and Constantine III in the early 410s is almost single handedly responsible for the near-destruction of the non-foederati Western Roman Empire and the loss of Gaul, Britain and Hispania. They kept fighting during the massive invasion by the Vandals, Visigoths, Suebi etc. No other emperor is more responsible for the destruction of the empire, even Constantius III, Aetius and Majorian weren't good enough to clean up after the retard's mistakes.
>>
File: holyemperortheodosius_thegreat.jpg (64 KB, 366x455) Image search: [Google]
holyemperortheodosius_thegreat.jpg
64 KB, 366x455
>>772337
That boy wasn't raised right
>>
File: laughing_tetrarchs.jpg (242 KB, 1000x673) Image search: [Google]
laughing_tetrarchs.jpg
242 KB, 1000x673
>>772349
Fuck him.

>fight like 6 civil wars
>lose tens of thousands of soldiers in each campaign
>unable to recoup your losses without mass-conscripting Germans from the barbaricum
>>
>>772375
To be fair to Theo, there was no way he could've known that barbars in the military would be the death warrant of the west, the Germanics were hardier and more warlike than the Roman plebeian population which there wasn't enough of for the legions in the first place
>>
>>772450
Oh I know, i'm not a "muh degenerate late empire" plebeian. Germans were hardcore as fuck compared to the apathetic and flaccid population of the Roman Empire of the time.
>>
>>772337
It was so weird when I was listening to the History of Rome podcast, because I was waiting from Constatius II's death until Honorius for the empire to really go in decline, but when Theodosius died, and the empire still felt intact, I was wondering, "so why did the empire fall in 80 years?"...then Honorius happened.
>>
>>772459
>>772450
I think the big problem with the Germans came from a lack of desire to give them any real power. Imagine if Stilicho, Anthemias, Aetius, Alaric, Ataulf or Genseric were all actually allowed real power within the Empire. The Gothic question would be settled for one, and you'd have a revitalized empire instead, we had Honorius.
>>
>>769993
>muh barbarians

akshuly the barbarians perpetuated and spread roman culture through use of latin-derived dialects and christianity
>>
>>774230
Barbarians are pretty cool. Italian elite became a shit though
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.