[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The fault with Anglos: the lack of BILDUNG?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: 1380214353590.jpg (268 KB, 650x975) Image search: [Google]
1380214353590.jpg
268 KB, 650x975
The English language lacks a good equivalent to the German word "bildung".
Has this affected Anglos?

Seeing how Anglo countries have run the world for quite some time: is this why the world is shit, due to the Anglo culture and values having spread globally?

Is Bildung talked about in your country (post your country)?
>>
>>768352
....education?
It fits. It just doesn't sound well to you germanfag.
>>
File: 1455257740290.jpg (178 KB, 888x1120) Image search: [Google]
1455257740290.jpg
178 KB, 888x1120
But Anglos are master race. No other Germanic peoples has risen to such power, and Hitler should've been thankful, to be frank.
>>
>>768384
Ausbildung (education) =/= Bildung
>>
>>768352

>German attributes all the problems in the world to the lack of a word in the English language
>Wonders why nobody cares what Germans think about anything
>Wonders why his country has never achieved anything

What about Germans makes them think in such magical terms?
>>
>>768352
I love how OP didn't even try to translate it or provide any meaning whatsoever.
>>
>>768352
cultivation
>>
>>768532
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bildung
>>
>>768532
I like how you jump into a thread that is completely outside of your scope to share a thought.
>>
>>768542
Thanks.
>>
>>768352
The concept can be expressed in English well enough. It's not like this bloody language doesn't have enough
>>
>>768526
It's a word used in many (all?) Germanic countries, not just Germany.

In Sweden for example you get absolutely lectured with the meaning at bildning (bildung) at university. It's something you're expected to do on your own, besides your studies.
I study economics, yet our first lectures were all about Humboldt, bildning, and the "third task of academia".

Meanwhile the American introduction to academia seems to be... beer pong?
>>
>>768526
>What about Germans makes them think in such magical terms?
Germans are literally fucking retarded. They're the most credulous, extremist and autistic people ever.
>>
>>768504
Education, schooling, whatever. We're not interested in appealing to the context of your shitty kraut speech.
>>
File: caged.png (79 KB, 300x248) Image search: [Google]
caged.png
79 KB, 300x248
>>768539
There is a word for it, "conformism".

The Germanic views himself as others view him. If people insist that he wear a chastity cage and hate him if he does not, he does not question why this is, he does not conclude that everyone else is wrong, he voluntarily puts on the chastity cage, locks it, and hands someone the key, without thought, without hesitation, firm in the belief of his bildung.
>>
We have buildings bro.
>>
>>768352
Funding cuts pretty much killed it m8

Unless you mean stuff you truly do in your own free time in which case eh... I read crime and punishment?
>>
>>768614
The modern German, maybe
>>
>>768352
>>768504

Yea I know what you're on about. Another word in English for bildung could be "cultivated" but that doesn't really grasp what you're after.

It may also explain why Anglos are so extremely butthurt about diffrent degrees being sciences or not, since proper people use words such as wissenschaft, vetenskap or videnskab, that's best translated as "knowledge-creation".

Meanwhile they've different words for "feelings" and "emotions" for some strange reason.

t. Swede.
>>
>>768645
Jag vet ingen skillnad mellan science och vetenskap. Vad menar du?
>>
>>768539
what a fucking pretentious and shitty article

this literally tells me nothing
>>
>>768670
>I lack knowledge about something
>Spoon food me
>Then spoon food me again

Oh, Anglos. How about you seek knowledge and information on your own? These days all you have ot do is Google and click on a few links. Does that waste too many calories?
>>
>>768352
"self-cultivation" or "self help?"
>>
>>768670
It's basically "academics and philosophy combined so you mature into a responsible adult" or whatever.

Sounds pretty great in theory, if you are the Big Man it sure would be great to have a country full of industrious civic-minded folk preprogrammed to ramp up whatever national efforts you have planned :^)
>>
File: 2016-03-01_01-40-10.png (5 KB, 325x120) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-01_01-40-10.png
5 KB, 325x120
>>768680
No...

If you cannot explain what a single word means in a single sentence, you're not explaining it correctly. This wikipedia article reads like someone just copied some shit from an essay, and pretty much every other page on google is an essay about it.

Let's look at what wiktionary says...

Hmm, that doesn't really tell me anything other than "it's education", and as >>768504 says, that's incorrect.

From what I can tell it's about conforming or some shit, but since neither you or the internet can explain it properly, I'm going to assume it's a load of wanky tosh.
>>
>>768658
Det är ingen, men ordet "vetenskap" handlar om att, tja, veta någonting. "Science" har ingen koppling till det engelska språket förutom "science" som står helt fritt, det är inte en variant av ett annat ord. Därmed så blir det ett mystiskt ord man sätter på en piedestal. Vetenskap låter bredare och mer vardagligt.
>>
>>768713
Förstår nu vad du menar. Jag håller med dig.
>>
File: 1423160613454.gif (860 KB, 320x179) Image search: [Google]
1423160613454.gif
860 KB, 320x179
>>768705
wanky tosh... I like you, anon.
>>
From the looks of the article it's somewhat similar to self improvement, but rather than the goal being to make you a better person, it's to make you less threatening to the establishment via conforming yourself to what your "betters" want you to be (RE: A cog in the machine).

So sort of like "Self improvement, but with the end point goal being conformity rather than becoming a better person".

Does German have a word that properly describes serendipity? What about "Pimp"? What about "insight"? "Stuff" in the "collection of things" sense? Vicarious?
>>
>>768614
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ztOV2wrrkY
>>
>>768754
Let's start with something simple like "Gloves" or "Lunch."
>>
It's just a word for maturation. A specific method of maturation, I guess, but it's not as if the concept and contained concepts don't exist in English-speaking societies. Really sounds like OP should just pull his head out of his ass and stop trying to attribute perceived ills to the lack of a superfluous word.
>>
File: burgers.gif (393 KB, 342x342) Image search: [Google]
burgers.gif
393 KB, 342x342
>>768560
beer pong > bilDUNG
>>
>>768352
Burgerlander reporting in

I'm taking a Hegel class right now and my professor brings up "bildung" every other day. The concept of "cultural/philosophical education" is interesting, but I'm not sure I'd call it the missing link in Anglo society.
>>
>>768754
>"Pimp"?
illegalprostituioncoordinator
>>
>>768800
What gender does that noun have?

What's the verb and adjective forms?
>>
>>768800
illgealprostitutioncoordiantor mein gothing.
>>
>>768800
>>768815
Most autistic language in existence. I'll stick with Pimp.
>>
>>768754
>pimp
Zuhälter
>stuff
Zeugs/Krempel/etc.
Changes on context
>serendipity
Glücksfall
>insight
Einsicht
>Vicarious
Stellvertretend
>>
>>768352
You might be autistic anon
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.