[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's worth living for if you can't believe in God?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: imogen.jpg (447 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
imogen.jpg
447 KB, 1280x1280
What's worth living for if you can't believe in God?

Finding your own meaning, is the most heard answer. "Go after your interests."
How is this not the same as admitting the only thing that makes life worth living is what gives you pleasure? So there we go: Hedonism it is.
>>
*tips fedora*

Your reasoning skills are seriously impaired.
>>
>>768270
What is wrong with hedonism from an atheist perspective?
>>
Because meaning != pleasure

Meaning can be just about anything. If you think meaning nothing but pleasure, than I'm afraid you still have a lot of growing up left to do
>>
>>768286
>Your argument skills are seriously impaired.
>>
*tips fedora*

I agree fellow gentleman.

Look at these hairless apes...doing things which make them happy. Never looking beyond. How plebeian.

My interests are FAR more philosophical.
>>
>he actually wants to serve spooks
>>
Living is amazing, OP

Better yourself, evolve, learn, explore

You're going to die some day in any case
>>
>>768292
Hedonism is the atheist's perspective.
>>
>>768292
Nothing, I'm saying atheism should lead to hedonism. Right or wrong doesn't matter.

>>768311
Read again: I'm praising hedonism, not rejecting it.

>>768318
All about pleasure in the end. That is why it's "amazing".

>>768299
Enlighten me then, o adult.
>>
>>768319
But what is wrong with it?
>>
>>768319

No, that's probably your perspective of atheism, because you're another christtard from /pol/
>>
>>768324
No, to be able to be at all is amazing, without attributing anything to it beyond that. To be of the universe and be able to look back on it is a great privilege.
>>
>>768319
Sure, like those hedonistic Nazis & Soviets
>>
>>768328
When you become tired of pleasure, you die.

And wake up facing God.
>>
>>768324

>Enlighten me then, o adult.

Human interaction. Having fun with family and friends. Exploring the world, enjoying the rich diversity of life.

You know, stuff people do when they don't waste their lives on christposting on 4chan
>>
>>768330
There is no God. Thus there is no transcendent meaning or purpose to life. I'm alive. Pain is bad, and pleasure is good.

Hedonist.

In fact, atheists who are not hedonists are likely just weak anti-theists.
>>
>>768335
Would you feel the same at GITMO?
>>
>>768270
>How is this not the same as admitting the only thing that makes life worth living is what gives you pleasure?
Because some things people find meaningful isn't the slightest pleasant. These aren't complicated questions.
>>
>>768270
>the only thing that makes life worth living is what gives you pleasure?
No shit retard.
>>
>>768342
>implying that's not hedonistic as fuck
>>
>>768355
>Because some things people find meaningful isn't the slightest pleasant.
Give a few examples, please.
>>
>>768342
>Human interaction. Having fun with family and friends. Exploring the world, enjoying the rich diversity of life.
All things about your pleasure.
>>
>>768270
>living for god isn't living for pleasure

cmon now
>>
>>768340
and you're gonna wake up with my balls on your chin lmao
>>
>>768270

Fulfillment =/= Pleasure

I'm a theist without faith and I disagree that atheists lack meaning or fulfillment in life.

God is also meaningful to us only insofar a it gives us some sense of fulfillment. God may be of objective value in himself- but as soon as you talk about an individual and their values it always refers back to their own fulfillment in one way or another.

Knowledge of God fulfills me because he is sublime- and what I think is the greatest and most sublime of all there is- but an Atheist may in fact get more fulfillment from what ever it is they do than I do from God, even if God is actually greater, just due to the differences in our own subjective experiences.
>>
>>768270
You ultimately live for god because it brings you gratification. You're still a hedonist, just unaware of said fact.

Hedonism simply is, our brains are designed in such a way that we're either pursuing a carrot or avoiding a stick, and there's literally no getting around this.
>>
>>768270
>Not distinguishing between branches of Hedonism.

There not all the same you know. people like Epicurus distinguished between higher and lower pleasure
>>
>>768367
Say you've a friend or family member that died. Visiting their grave on their birthdays may be meaningful to you yet you won't find it pleasant, you may even find it painful and know full well that you're better off staying at home.
>>
>>768419
Lies.
You get pleasure from it knowing you had done the "right thing" (despite there being no right or wrong things). You do it for yourself, not for them or some higher meaning.
Just because something is painful doesn't mean it's also pleasurable. That's just how most things are. You eat chocolate, it might taste good: but you'll be filled with regrets afterwards because you're on a diet. Hedonism is about the net pleasure.
Going to the graves is a net pleasure, if ever so slightly. Otherwise you would have stayed at home.
>>
>>768270
A much more accurate way to ask the question is to ask why people with no belief in a god doesn't just kill themselves. Even if we presume that life without the divine is worthless it doesn't follow that people would actively try to stop having it. It's not untill you actually start to become negatively affected by a thing that most people would consider a way to stop it. Basically a thing of no value is not worth the time to try and change.

However personally, I consider that the human purpose of life is to improve society by primary maximisng the wellbeing of living and future generations. However there is no such thing as an objective worth to living, as it holds no value in itself. so yeah, hedonism it is. What other possible option is there anyway?
>>
>You weren't created for pleasure, you were created for joy.

Based Merton does it again
>>
>>768431
>you visit your loved ones' graves because it makes you feel good

Speak for yourself you autismal fucking faggot
>>
>>768436
There may be no reason to live but there is no reason to kill oneself either.
>>
>>768270
>imogen gay poots

WHO names their daughters this?
>>
File: you.jpg (428 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
428 KB, 3264x2448
>>768448
Great discussion, buddy
>>
>>768459
>you visit your loved ones' graves because it makes you feel good you did the right thing

fucking lol Cmon m8
>>
>>768436
As a hedonist, it makes sense to kill oneself if the net pleasure of life is negative.

>>768455
Exhaustion.
>>
>>768464
You know it too. It's pure biology, like >>768392 pointed out.

True selflessness isn't real, hate to burst your good boy-bubble.
>>
>>768455
>>768469

Exactly.
>>
We are humans, but we are nothing without each other. The society we live in, the knowledge we have and the things we enjoy are all dependent upon how we all work together as a society.

Your purpose in life is to live for humanity, to help improve this world so that you and others can life. Working together, we can make this world a better place for our selves, our neighbors and all of the people that we don't know. God has nothing to do with that equation.
>>
File: VzDNqcv.jpg (205 KB, 1078x1412) Image search: [Google]
VzDNqcv.jpg
205 KB, 1078x1412
>>768482
So there really is no such thing as Good Boy Points?
>>
>>768482
autism speaks
>>
>>768270
I remember that place from a movie about a thief
>>
>>768516

only if you're poor

if you're a rich king, and there's no God, i see no reason why you wouldn't rape all the sluts you can find in the street, and steal everyone's shit
>>
>>768419
>Visiting their grave on their birthdays may be meaningful to you yet you won't find it pleasant

You'd probably find it more pleasant than not visiting their graves, and there is a neurological rush that comes from negative emotions.
>>
>>768581
You tend to have some semblance of empathy based on evolution.
Not that it's very hard to squash that.
>>
>>768581
If you're a rich king, chances are you'll tailor your morality to justify your current existence and position, as many kings did with Christianity itself.

But a rich king is at least to a certain extent, still dependent on the concerns of his subjects. They may not necessarily be capable of rising up against him, but they're more than capable of assisting would-be enemies who would gladly overthrow him and offer a better deal.
>>
>>768270
sniffing her feet after a hard days work and pulling down her panties from behind and motorboating her ass and cunt
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.