[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did the Norse abandon their settlements in North America?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7
Why did the Norse abandon their settlements in North America?
>>
from what I vaguely recall, it was a woman's fault
>>
>>767442
From what I recall that's a myth.
>>
>>767476
oh. are there any norse accounts about vinland besides the myth?
>>
>>767437

Indians or the fact that they couldn't make it work.
>>
>>767510
What? I answered to his claim that the women made the vikings to leave the place
>Proofs!
Not claiming it was all a myth.

And there is some Icelandic sagas about it, such as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinland_sagas
There are also a bunch of archelogical findings that strongly indicate that some sort of European settlement have existed at the place, such as old remains of buildings.
There are also some stories about Columbus getting his idea to cross the ocean from stories he heard while visiting Iceland, about which I can't tell you much.
>>
>>767547
I what any battles between the two looked like?
>>
>>767548
>Not claiming it was all a myth.
i wasn't saying you were claiming that? i was just curious about how much information we have about norse america.

>And there is some Icelandic sagas about it, such as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinland_sagas
>There are also a bunch of archelogical findings that strongly indicate that some sort of European settlement have existed at the place, such as old remains of buildings.
>There are also some stories about Columbus getting his idea to cross the ocean from stories he heard while visiting Iceland, about which I can't tell you much.
Thanks Anon
>>
>>767571

Did you watch The Revenant? I'd think it'd be something like when they were ambushed as they were loading pelts onto the boats, but with fewer firearms and more shields and bows.
>>
>>767573
Here, have this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Anse_aux_Meadows
Most well accepted proof for viking contact with the Indians.
>>
>>767437
>Why did the Norse abandon their settlements in North America?

Colonization attempt was thwarted by a conflict with Skraelings (natives). No one knows why exactly the Skraelings attacked. Some speculate that the Norse may have given them milk or cheese as a sign of goodwill. The natives got diarrhea due to their lactose intolerance and thought that the Norse tried to poison them. It could be also simply because the Skraelings were treacherous bastards and thought that the Norse were easy picking.

But the travels from Greenland continued for a time, likely up to the collapse of Greenland colonies.
>>
What they were getting from the land to trade with wasn't worth the natives trying to kill them.
>>
>>767639
probably 1 autistic socio from either the natives or the norse who managed to piss someone off, then it escalated
>>
>>767589
Didn't watch this, though there is some legend about a barebreasted viking woman grabbing two swords, using them to to force an attacking groups of indians to flee.
Haven't found any English sources for it yet.
>>
>>767639
>muh noble injuns
>>
>>767437
all the bastard cunt of asia went somewhere, probably over here, and with it plague ala gengis black through europe, extremely likely exiled and outcasts were sent north across siberia into north america spreading bullshit wherever they went, these quasi bands probably wiped a lot of early european/viking settlement and good thwacks of "natives" too across the last few thousand years of these wave/pulse occurances. settlements probably died out, eventually saxon-anglo-normal-modern post holy roman empire epoch & resettlement off the back of new tier game-changer technologies (again, stirrup etc through east, hull tech from west). whatever was left got "bred-in" and thus life continues.../wiped histories

>in pic
"swift peopling" ie tamed horses circa 50k-15k years ago, again, come in waves from the east by cav (most likely as exiles from chinasia) and ship by northern europe (and also africa 80k-present years ago)
>>
>>767437
nordic people were and still are gigantic pussies
>>
>>770735
4/10
Certain people may fall for it.
>>
>>767639
The Nords never stood a chance. They were average traders, their real prowess being looting. It probably didnt take much to piss off the millions and millions of natives surrounding them. Adding the difference in battle tactics to the mix, they were an easy pray. If only they didnt forget to pack a certain bacteria before leaving home ^^
>>
>>767672
I demand details.
>>
>>770735
what the fuck are you talking about?

The vikings were forged in the harshest environment on this planet, that environment produces some of the greatest if not the greatest warriors in human history. The vikings pretty much destroyed all warriors they came across, and they only fell because of internal conflict. The vikings weren't only great at fighting they were great at civilizations too. They found the British empire, the french empire, and the roman empire, AND they were able to keep the moors out of civilized europe and eventually pushed them out of Spain
>>
>>768825
take your meds senpai
>>
Do you think any Nordic blood entered the native gene pool via the natives taking the Viking women as their rightful prizes? Sex is implied, consensual or not.
>>
>>767639
>>770766
more likely it was a minority of bad eggs on both sides who ruined it for everyone, this usually seems to be the way these things go
>>
File: 2016-02-29-17-09-44-1033303858.jpg (9 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-29-17-09-44-1033303858.jpg
9 KB, 224x225
>>770813
>>
They couldn't be bothered fighting off the Indians all the time, I think Leif Erikson wrote a journal about it.
>>
File: viking.jpg (141 KB, 426x600) Image search: [Google]
viking.jpg
141 KB, 426x600
>>770735
>vikings were so shit they sacked paris
>crushed every single english kingdom other than Wessex
>ruled most of england for over 100 years
>had numerous opponents pay danegeld so they would leave them alone
>even the anglo's precious alfred the great
>were handed normandy if they'd promise to keep other vikings away
>raided up and down the coasts of europe
>even into kebab lands that had to resort of fire ships to finally stop them
>killed a hilariously disproportionate amount of foreign kings

>>770813 This guy is a fag though.
>>
File: skraelingsvsvikings.jpg (95 KB, 873x630) Image search: [Google]
skraelingsvsvikings.jpg
95 KB, 873x630
>FUCKING SNOWNIGGERS GET OFF MY LAND REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
because it was full of not-so-hospitable wildlings
>>
File: brotherjoseph.jpg (907 KB, 1632x2200) Image search: [Google]
brotherjoseph.jpg
907 KB, 1632x2200
>>767437

Clearly the Lamanites drove them off with their chariots and steel bows.
>>
>>767437
They got arrows shot at them
>>
>>767437
I was always under the impression that it was due to trade disputes with the natives. Apparently during the early days of the settlements the natives and "Vikings" where quite cordial however a large portion of the Viking trade goods where dairy products and this tended to horribly kill the completely lactose intolerant natives who mistook this for poison and believed the "Vikings" where trying to poison them. This brought conflict and as result the outnumbered and overextended "Viking" settlements where abandoned and they retreated from Canada. No more expeditions where called because they saw the natives as dangerous but also poor and not worth the journey.
>>
>>767437
Natives drove/killed them off. Pretty simple.
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 750x1334
>>771515
Stop
>>
>>767437

Superior Aryan master race BTFO by skraelings with flint arrows.
>>
>>767437
Skaelings
>>
>>770906
"vikings = pussies" is a new meme we've had to deal with

Gotta embrace dem extremes.
>>
>>767437
There was nothing worth staying for. Norsemen traversed the seas to establish trade, and they didn't find anyone willing to trade.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.