[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Senitibus Populibusque Romae
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: rome.jpg (12 KB, 263x192) Image search: [Google]
rome.jpg
12 KB, 263x192
What are your thoughts on Rome? Is it overrated as an empire? Personally I think the culture is really interesting, and the lasting impact it has had, but do people over romanticize it?
>>
The very origin of the word empire.
>>
>>766589
yeah, it occurred to me as I was writing the post that it was also the root of the word "romanticize"
>>
File: 2PV_-_NordicEmpire.png (37 KB, 2100x1525) Image search: [Google]
2PV_-_NordicEmpire.png
37 KB, 2100x1525
>>766581
>could never conquer scandanavia
>shitbloods for life
>>
File: vikingsmap.jpg (633 KB, 1394x1152) Image search: [Google]
vikingsmap.jpg
633 KB, 1394x1152
>dem alps
>gg topography
>>
>>766688
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
File: roma_invicta.jpg (65 KB, 620x800) Image search: [Google]
roma_invicta.jpg
65 KB, 620x800
It's obviously overrated and its brutality and devastation it brought to conquered peoples are often underplayed.

146 BC
NEVER FORGET
>>
>>766753
>brutality and devastation it brought to conquered peoples
Is one of the reasons it's a progenitor of the West.
>>
>>766589
Wrong.
>>
>>766581
it's curious how much appreciation Rome gets despite people knowing little to nothing about its history or culture
i think it's overglorified without any thorough understanding
>>
ROMA DIVINA
O
M
A

D
I
V
I
N
A
>>
>>766753
RIP Corinth
>>
Could it be possible that some of the first mental illness could have their roots on the Lead the romans used?
>>
>>766581
> is it ever over romanticized.
Look no further than this thread to find both extremes of this.
Romans were much less different than the people they conquored than we might even believe.
>>
File: carthage01.jpg (138 KB, 890x594) Image search: [Google]
carthage01.jpg
138 KB, 890x594
>>766904
Don't forget Carthage, the same fucking year.
>>
>>766925
Define mental illness, but also no.
>>
>>766688
Nice lol
>>
>>766873
Hard to overglorify something the entire planet ignorantly appreciated for the last 1500 years.
>>
>>766937
>Define mental illness
well thats a hard one, at least for me, maybe it could be anything that makes the brain dont want to follow our biological "responsabilites" like surviving and having sex.
Why not? lots of generations drank that dirty water, probably fucked up their brains.
>>
>>766835
how is it wrong? empire comes from imperium, which is a latin word. the romans didnt conceive of their empire as an empire initially, just as the republic with a commander-in-chief-as-the-leading-man-of-government who overtime became a de facto king and then actually a king. they weren't the first empire but the root of the word comes from them.
>>
>>766753
Dan Carling:

BENEFITS OF EMPIRE
>>
>>766581
>What are your thoughts on Rome?
One of my favorite historical civilizations overall, amazing influential to a large part of human history though it's influence is in large part because of what Europe did afterwards.

>Is it overrated as an empire?
Some people overrate it sure but it definitely ranked up there.

A lot of people over romanticize Rome as this idealist paradise of culture and civic excellence. Rome had a lot of problems.
>>
>>766936
Ah well, who gives a fuck about them savages?
>>
>>767072
>A lot of people over romanticize Rome as this idealist paradise of culture and civic excellence. Rome had a lot of problems.

#NotAllRomans
Many Romans are grouped with people who go against roman values and are seen as murderers and dictators.

Rome is a culture of the highest civilization and tolerance. Please don't confuse us with people who use our names to do evil.

Praise Jupiter!
>>
>>766996
>maybe it could be anything that makes the brain dont want to follow our biological "responsabilites" like surviving and having sex.
That's nice you define it that way, but no actual psychologist would. Mental illness is usually defined as something that prevents someone from functioning in their society, and/or makes them a danger to others or themselves.
>>
File: Caesar 3 (3).jpg (155 KB, 875x988) Image search: [Google]
Caesar 3 (3).jpg
155 KB, 875x988
CAESAR DIVUS
>>
>>766936
Hannibal pls go
>>
>>766581
>do people over-romanticize it
yes
>is it overrated as an empire
no

the architecture and technology of rome pretty astounding, and their legacy left across all of europe even after the last vestiges of Rome fell in 1453 (or 530 for you meme fucks) can still be seen today. with that kind of legacy it's difficult to argue that they were overrated.

however rome always had problems especially internally. the structure of roman economy was poor, so it set itself up for eventual failure.
>>
>>768034
>1453
I hope you mean 1204.

If you are a succesor state of a succesor state, who later conquered back another succesor state to again become the old succesor state you really cannot call yourself the Roman Empire anymore.
>>
>>768056
you're right, date the ERE died is officially 1204

enrico dandolo can go rot in hell
>>
>>768099
I made a thread about it:
>>768095
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.