[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Crash Course
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8
What does /his/ think of John Green's Crash Course History series?
>>
Is it just one guy making these threads or do people actually come here after watching his Youtubes or something?
>>
he delivered an excellent and unbiased view of the soviet union and communism in general
jk hes a disgusting bouje liberal
>>
He's liberal scum but generally gives a good overview of the topics he covers.
>>
>>766354
Haven't we seen enough John green threads to understand he's shit
>>
He's good for a study session/overview, but not much else
>>
>>766562
Or you could get a book for a more quality experience.
>>
>>766682
Yeah because a book about a certain event will totally give you some general overview over said event in like 10 minutes.
Like that guy said, good for overviews and 'a place to start' if you will. Does touch on a bit of historiographie and the likes but really not a lot. Somewhat progressive bias, but I'd really say that depends on the episode.
I don't quite understand why /his/ has such a problem with the last point because literally every single historic thesis has some sort of underlying bias.
>>
He creates his videos correct commonly held preconceptions about history. For example he questions if the Greeks were the good guys in the wars between Greece and Persia. He also tries to focus on non-European history because most people already learn a lot about European history. This pisses off two groups of people on /his/. The first is the people who already viewed history more complexly and therefore Green comes off as going too far with his pop-contrarianism. The second group is people who jack off to Greek and European history and see Green's videos as an attack on "muh heritage".
>>
sup /lit/
>>
>>766354
Everything wrong with the humanities
>>
They're okay but he's a bit of a SJW
>>
>>766682
wasn't his point, moron.
>>
>>766354
Good basic introduction to history. Only disliked by idiot bigots who cling to refuted concepts of racial superiority as it gives them a false sense of superiority to cover up their lack of actual accomplishments or merit by associating themselves with the accomplishments of a select handful of prominent historical figures and think that trying to get over a Eurocentric bias is inherently evil.
>>
>>767050
Most of which being the descendants of peoples the ancient greeks saw as dirty stinking barbarians who would never amount to anything.
>>
>>766354
Just another castrated nu-male on jew tube
>>
>>766354
LE CHEERIO BOWL MANE
>>
John Green spouts some of the worst history memes, things that would be unforgivable if he were still a student. He then uses his SJW fangirls to back him up and accuse critics of being bigots.
>>
honestly his personality is what annoys me most about him, but is also probably what endears him most to normies.
plus i think he's too eager to discount war as an influence on history
>>
He is a literal retard
>>
File: 1454888234246.jpg (168 KB, 768x714) Image search: [Google]
1454888234246.jpg
168 KB, 768x714
>Doesn't even mention the Hyper war
TRASH.
>>
>>766384
I'm going to guess the former. I'll bet it's someone who knows I pop a hemorrhoid every time I see Green's stupid face.
>>
>>766985
How in the fuck is he a good place to start when he has no citations? You can read a Wikipedia page about what you're learning about, and click on the little numbers next to claims if you want to know more.
>>
Fucking super left biased history for dudes who want to be able to throw out two or three facts and think they're correct
>>
In terms of history on a broad scope, and I mean broad, he does his job fairly well. But his cringeworthy humor and SJW sentiment really puts me off. Also, I think he's a shitty author.
>>
>>766562
this, can we just end the John Green meme here please
>>
>>767505
I meant it more in a "Oh this looks interesting, let's read up on it" kinda way but I see your point. In that aspect I agree with >>767050 In that (to a certain extent) he shows history from a different perspective to people who otherwise wouldn't know shit all.
However havingwatched a bit of the other stuff on their channel I kinda agree with >>767471. Frankly John seems quite on his high horse (which is propably why so many people here dislike him) when his brother or others on the channel seem a bit more down to earth. To overexagerate a bit, when John teaches something it seems like he wants to show off, when Hank teaches it seems more like he actually wants people to learn.
>>
>>767728
John Green is like the Doug Walker of history. All he does is yell rapidly and force memes.
>tfw no Jay and Mike of history
>>
>>767737
>tfw no Jay and Mike of history
How would that even work? having a lineary approach, thinking it has gotten worse and worse over time and reviewing events that way?
Or more of a critique of Historical Works/overall thesis?
>>
>>767755
i would say more in their attitude, being heavily heavily heavily deadpan
>>
John Green is the new man.

The new sort of man. You all know the kind. He's been completely castrated. He's been divorced from anything primal. Completely shorn of any crimethink.

He's like a little, supple, baby-oiled infant. A modern Cupid. A little faggy nothing of a thing who believes in nothing and flaps in the goddamn breeze, whichever way it happens to be flapping.

Tell me, would you ever respect a man who makes a fortune telling 13-year-old girls what they want to hear? Would you ever respect a man who writes fiction for girls whose breasts are still budding?

Look at him and weep. You see a piece of yourself in him, don't you? That piece that you're ashamed of. That cringing little coward in the corner of your soul.

For like him you've never cut down a pine. Never stood on a cliff's edge, bare-chested, roaring into the great wilds. Never killed with your hands.

The fire is gone from his eyes. The fire that the ancients had. The great men of eminence.

And now we have "logic" and "reason" and they're a small consolation to a beastly heart, which still beats, faint as it may be, still beats.

Can you hear it in your chest?
>>
>>768043
>For like him you've never cut down a pine. Never stood on a cliff's edge, bare-chested, roaring into the great wilds. Never killed with your hands.
implying
>>
>>768043
Read smthg like that somewhere but don t remember where
>>
>>768043
>For like him you've never cut down a pine. Never stood on a cliff's edge, bare-chested, roaring into the great wilds. Never killed with your hands.

I highly doubt you've done any of those.

>responding to pasta
>>
DUDE
>>
File: tumblr_m6szjoMrbS1rpxjwpo1_250.gif (694 KB, 225x200) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m6szjoMrbS1rpxjwpo1_250.gif
694 KB, 225x200
>DUDE MONGOLS LMAO
>>
>>768294
THE WEST IS EVIL
>>
he's the bill nye the science guy of high school history
mildly entertaining, but largely pointless for a mature audience
>>
Crash Course is good for what it is. John Green himself is way too liberal, but thankfully he keeps that bias out of the series for the most part. He has some hiccups here and there (especially in the modern era), but it's a decent series for a quick overviewing of AP history tier material.
>>
>>766468
Lol hes a useful idiot. Would be shipped to siberian workcamp in ussr
>>
>>767505
I did remember he cited some books.
>>
>>766354
good man just spends too much time on it. ressentience
>>
>>766528
What did you expect from a /lit/ colony?
>>
>>766354

One day I'm going to write an obnoxious fuck-you slasher fanfic tribute to John Green titled 'The Fault In Our Tsars'.
>>
>>766354
>John Green and Extra Credits claims that the holy land for pretty good for all 3 religions when Muslims ruled it
>Real Crusaders history and History Buffs say it wasn't, with the former calming it was a slaughter ground for non Muslims.
I have no idea who to believe.
>>
its bad
please John, stop trying to get more views from here
>>
>>770798

>believing john green and extra credits
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKEhdsnKKHs

>20 sec in
>Aristotle is sexist
>>
>>770880
Yes but
>Believing Real Crusaders history
>>
File: image.jpg (146 KB, 600x702) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
146 KB, 600x702
Fuck off Wolfgang
>>
>>771291
To be fair the BCE era was extremely misogynistic.
>>
File: secret history.png (194 KB, 500x636) Image search: [Google]
secret history.png
194 KB, 500x636
>>766354
muh modern political paradigms inserted into historical settings without any reason

muh revisionism

If you cut out his opinions, it might be a halfway decent review. In my Uni course, we watched it juxtaposed to other things to compare how political views can affect historiography, so I guess it could be interesting in that regard as a social observation.
>>
File: magnolia shut the fuck up.gif (891 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
magnolia shut the fuck up.gif
891 KB, 500x281
>>768043
>>
It is very good entry level series.
>>
DUDE VARANGIANS WEREN'T SCANDINAVIANS LMAO
>>
>>770798
Don't believe either, listen to some real historians
>>
>>768043
God, you're a faggot.
>>
>>768043
slow claps*
*steps out of the shadows*
Heh... not bad, kid. Not bad at all. Your meme, I mean. It's not bad. A good first attempt. It's plenty dank... I can tell it's got some thought behind it... lots of quotable material...
But memeing isn't all sunshine and rainbows, kid. You're skilled... that much I can tell. But do you have what it takes to be a Memester? To join those esteemed meme ranks? To call yourself a member of the Ruseman's Corps? Memeing takes talent, that much is true. But more than that it takes heart. The world-class Memesters - I mean the big guys, like Johnny Hammersticks and Billy Kuahana - they're out there day and night, burning the midnight meme-oil, working tirelessly to craft that next big meme.
And you know what, kid? 99 times out of a hundred, that new meme fails. Someone dismisses it as bait, or says it's "tryhard," or ignores it as they copy/paste the latest shitpost copypasta dreamt up by those sorry excuses for cut-rate memers over at reddit. The Meme Game is rough, kid, and I don't just mean the one you just lost :^). It's a rough business, and for every artisan meme you craft in your meme bakery, some cocksucker at 9gag has a picture of a duck or some shit that a million different Johnny No-Names will attach a milion different captions to. Chin up, kid. Don't get all mopey on me. You've got skill. You've got talent. You just need to show your drive.
See you on the boards...
>>
>>766354
revisionist bullshit
>>
I don't.
>>
>>770798
depended on who was the Caliph at the time, if you were with Harun al-Rashid then things might have been pretty good, trade between Europe and the Middle East was good, and things were generally peaceful, Harun even considered Christians to be his closest allies, however, there was also Caliphs such as Al-Hakim who was a tyrannical guy who's opinions on Christians would change from having them attacked to just taxing them a bit more.
>tl;dr depends on the time
>>
File: 1456119326216s.jpg (2 KB, 84x125) Image search: [Google]
1456119326216s.jpg
2 KB, 84x125
>>768043
>>
>>766354
How can anyone who has written Young """"Adult"""" fiction be taken seriously in any intellectual discussion?
>>
>>767050
>questions if greeks were good guys
>worships mongols

I hate this guy already

t chink.
>>
>>770755
>not /pol/
>>
They're great for a basic run through of "normie" history.

The LULZ SO RANDUMB XD humor is grating

And understand that whenever modern, anti white, PC culture comes into play, John is going to roll right over.

I like how he makes light of conquest and slaughters of the past, but the second the Atlantic slave trade comes up, or anything of the like, he 180's the tone and gets all moral and serious.

>Holocaust / Slavery
No jokes at all, whatsoever

>Native American genocide
Gotta be really serious, but more lighthearted

>Any other genocide or conquest of European colonialism
It's bad but it's still funny

>Anything else
LOLZ PEOPLE DIED AND SUFFERED XD
>>
>>767355
source on Greeks thinking this?
>>
>>770773
8/10 do it
>>
What I don't like is how he constantly views everything through a modern lens.
>>
>>777075
Most greek writing dealing with barbarians was pretty xenophobic. It wasn't an attack on the people though, just their culture.
>>
>>766354
Why does he love amsterdam so much?
Easily the least remarkable of the major european capitals (why do you think they needed to legalize weed and hookers to attract tourists?)
>>
What's the over/under on at least one of his kids having a different biological father?
>>
File: 1456876810158.jpg (21 KB, 312x345) Image search: [Google]
1456876810158.jpg
21 KB, 312x345
>>767351

No one is taking your shitty B8 faggot
>>
>>768043

I'd respect him more if he at least had the decency to be a bit twisted and secretly dreamed of sodomizing his young readers
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.