[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /his/ opinion on Advaita Vedanta?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: Sankaracharya.jpg (527 KB, 800x1147) Image search: [Google]
Sankaracharya.jpg
527 KB, 800x1147
What is /his/ opinion on Advaita Vedanta?
>>
>>766061
It's the final boss of religion, but it should not be preached and divulged to the masses, because it can (and does) give rise to many bizarre interpretations.

The Vendata was known as the teaching that "ended all sadness" (I'm paraphrasing here, I don't remember the right expression) and it was supposed to be taught only to high-level students who had mastered all the Vedas, the sacrifices, etc. But now stupid new agers, " scholars" (ex-hippies) and hindu gurus who want to fit in and/or make a buck teach the Vedanta in watered down youtube video format. Fuck this gay modern world man.
>>
>>766135
>It's the final boss of religion
agreed. I am yet to find a more complete philosophical system.

>but it should not be preached and divulged to the masses
agreed again. This is one of those things that you have to be mentally and spiritually ready to understand, let alone to let it sink in. Explaining this doctrine to the unprepared mind can have no good ending, even if nothing more, because it puts out the flame before it has a chance to be stoked

As for the rest, I really can't have a formed opinion. On all things cultural, historical and religious, I have been and will be alone. I majored in engineering, so none of my friends or acquaintances are anything remotely closed to interested in this kind of thing
>>
Rip off of Nagarjuana's work kek
>>
>>766194
>agreed. I am yet to find a more complete philosophical system.

Yup. Abrahamic religions feels so dumbed down and simplistic in comparison.
>>
>>766221

fucking this
>>
>>767820
Not really. There are parallels between the belief and Western philosophies which lie in the Christian Trinity. It parallels the concept of the three bodies of the Buddha, the nirmanakaya being the Son, the sambhogakaya as the Father, and the dharmakaya being the Holy Ghost. I know I'm simplifying both belief systems, but one can see the Trinity through this Mahayana framework, with all being united as part of the supreme essence of reality, the Holy spirit.
>>
>>767820
damn dude, are you me?

>>767955
the thing is that it feels a much less complete set of beliefs. Plus, the whole lore of heaven as a place for the good souls and hell for the unworthy seems just wrong, like a drag to the whole ideology as a whole
>>
GOAT spiritually
>>
>>768214
>hell
Most Christians don't believe in hell anymore
>>
>>768242
Does it matter? Does not believing in hell make hell go away?
>>
>>768242
Explains why there's less christians
>>
>>766221
Pretty much. Everyone thinks Buddhism is just some Hinduism offshoot, when the fact is that the influence doubled back very intensely.

imo Madhyamaka is the better system, it seems to ask more questions and deal with more metaphysical problems, whereas Advaita tends to push things off into metaphor instead of analyzing them.
>>
File: 1451983739306.jpg (96 KB, 600x962) Image search: [Google]
1451983739306.jpg
96 KB, 600x962
>>768242
what I meant was:
>if you play along to a certain set of rules (that tends to, but doesn't always, coincide with your innate conscience of good) on your totally free worldly behaviour, you are rewarded a place in eternal heaven as the person you are now, flawed as you may be
>if by any reason or set of reasons, you choose not to play along that set of rules, you are punished with eternal pain and torture for the eternity, even if you might have had some good in you
>meanwhile God is omniscient and knows exactly what happens, but fucks you in the ass forever if you do what he knows you will do
I think it just shows a severe lack of understanding of what a human being really is.
>>
>>768248
Literally.
>>
>>767820
>Yup. Abrahamic religions feels so dumbed down and simplistic in comparison.
Why is there so much resentment against Abrahamic religions
>>
>>768714
Because it was founded by a an old guy whose entire myth is people of his family are better and god only loves a singular insular and racist group called the Israelite and tried to kill his own son because he heard voices in his head say so.
>>
>>768714
probably because the majority of people favoring them haven't explored any other religions.

can't blame them i guess, the two major ones outright threaten you if you try to escape the walled garden.
>>
>>768214
Some see heaven and hell as states of consciousness, similarly to how some mahayana sects view Buddhist mythology's hells and paradises. I was entertained the idea of the raging forces of an animistic devil and forgiving god as an allegory for the internal states of the individual. It was interesting.
>>
>>768911
>I was
*I once
>>
>>768714
Abrahamics are extremely dogmatic over a very simple theology
>>
I don't agree with its assertion that all is illusion. They make God out to be some kind of tyrant that put us in this illusory prison that we have dissolve ourselves out of.
>>
>>769075
reality apart from god is an illusion. Everything is unified in the dharmakaya
>>
>>769265
There is nothing apart from God. True is God and true is His creation.
>>
>>769280
How can mirrors be real if our eyes aint real
Nigga
>>
>>766061
Fucking edgelord nihilist bullshit
>>
>>769362
*tips fedora*
>>
File: stanza.jpg (17 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
stanza.jpg
17 KB, 250x250
>>769362
>>
>>766061
>Advaita Vedanta
Good for the household but loaded with genetic determinant hypocricy (we are not all equals else there would be no such thing as entropy/existence).

Falls apart under fight/flight too.

Vedas suck.
guy in ur pic is inbred.
>>
File: download (2).jpg (6 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
6 KB, 300x168
>>769342
>>
>>769362
You're thinking of Buddhism.
>>
>>767955
I agree that there are parallels, but the Christian theologians would never accept this kind of interpretation and it is usually relegated to the private, if not heretical sphere. You can't hold this views in public without being shamed and criticized by you "errors" until you "repent". And what is it good for to have private, secret religious when religion is supposed to be about community? Not even the Buddha alone all the time, but established the sangha.

The contrary is not true of the Vedanta though. Thetr would be no problem for a Vedantist to confess the Christian dogma of the trinity or that Jesus is God and to conserve their worship intact.
>>
Great thread
>>
>>769075
to me, oversimplifying, it could go something like this:
>god had an offspring (you and me and everyone)
>offspring was still immature and unwhole
>so god created the universe, a place filled with more pain than pleasure, so as to, over the course of countless lives, mature spiritually
I think I read a short story once where this idea was conveyed but I really can't remember the name
>>
File: 1455577291959.jpg (56 KB, 374x626) Image search: [Google]
1455577291959.jpg
56 KB, 374x626
>>770619
found it jej. It's a little oversimplified though
http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
>>
So, reality is a spook?
>>
I don't find Adi Shankara's philosophy of everything reality being an illusion, expecially calling Sriman Narayana a guise of some sort. As a Vaishnava, i disagree with everything he said, as Ramanuja did.
>>
>>766135
>But now stupid new agers, " scholars" (ex-hippies) and hindu gurus who want to fit in and/or make a buck teach the Vedanta in watered down youtube video format. Fuck this gay modern world man.
Worst of all, they are the ones doing the translations of Hindu literature.
>>
>>770631
Good shit, thanks mate
>>
>>770728
Where then can one find good translations? Sanskrit is kind of a long term projecto for me, i'm learning russian atm an well I majored in engineering so I don't have much free time
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.