[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6
File: Jesus-Xmas-Tree.jpg (79 KB, 402x600) Image search: [Google]
Jesus-Xmas-Tree.jpg
79 KB, 402x600
>“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

What did he mean by this?
>>
He meant it is ok to eat bacon and wear mixed fabrics
>>
>>763634
He literally says the opposite
>>
>>763592
>fulfill them
Here's the key words that hang into balance.
One could argue that it means once Jesus dies on the cross as the lamb, the prophets and laws are fulfilled (at least some of them). Or argue He's not influencing scripture and restating the need of obedience towards the laws.
Either answer caused a divide between Christians.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1430076491142.jpg (88 KB, 589x469) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1430076491142.jpg
88 KB, 589x469
He's basically saying the exact opposite of what the majority of Christians believe.
>>
>>763592
>Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven
genuinely would like to know how Christians address this.

bumping for interest
>>
>7 “Why then,” they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?”

>8 Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. 9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

Matthew 19:7-9

I think there's a suggestion that the Law of God and the Law of Moses may not be the same thing.
>>
>>765280
but in the OT it is God that dictates the Law to Moses. Christians read the same OT as the Christians.
>>
>>765285
as the Jews*
>>
bump for interest
>>
>>765280
How does divorce work in same-sex marriages?
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 367x388) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 367x388
>>766279
>>
>>766279
>If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.
>>
>>763592
There are two ways to fulfill a law. The first is that you keep the law intact. The second way is that you pay the penalty for violating the law.

Jesus fulfilled the law both ways. He kept the Law intact by never sinning, and He paid the penalty for all of the sinners of all time, thus satisfying the Law. Laws without punishment are slogans.
>>
>>767270
>thus satisfying the Law.
Romans 3:31: " Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law."

Romans 6:15: "What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid."

If Jesus died to forgive sin, why would you want to sin even more? If you were allowed to sin as much as you want, that would mean you could commit murder as much as you want.
>>
File: LOZzh.jpg (214 KB, 1134x1001) Image search: [Google]
LOZzh.jpg
214 KB, 1134x1001
>>763592
We have to follow the moral law but not the ceremonial law.

The ceremonial law teaches that those who commit adultery should be stoned. But when Jesus witnessed an adulteress about to be stoned, he convinced people not to stone her. So that shows that he didn't want the ceremonial law to be followed.

And Paul was convinced that Christians weren't bounded by the ceremonial law.
>>
>>767232
What if it's a sexless marriage?
>>
File: Leviticus.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Leviticus.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>766279
>>
>>767270

Well, let's see, the Gospels record Jesus mis-timing his Paschal offering in the last supper, see Matthew 26:17-20. So there's a sin. I believe the penalty for such is a kind of spiritual cutting off from the people and/or from God, I'm not too sure on that one. That didn't seem to happen, he got nailed to a tree.

So I guess you're wrong.
>>
>>767478
I don't want to sin more. I sin more than I want to now. I'm just not under a death penalty for sinning anymore, because I'm dead, and the Law does not pursue dead men.
>>
>>767489
Follow no Law. Follow the indwelling Holy Spirit, and Him only.
>>
>>767491
What society has sexless marriages? Betas of 4chan?
>>
>>767525
You're going to hell, Jew. Get smart, quick.

Genesis 22:8 And Abraham said, “My son, God will provide for Himself the lamb for a burnt offering.” So the two of them went together.

John 1:29
The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!
>>
>>767566
Don't tell me what to do, nigger.
>>
>>767586
The instructions were not for you, as you have no Holy Spirit in you. Your law from your father is "do as thou wilt".
>>
>>767580

Not even wrong.

You might want to try dealing with passages that deal with the Passover offering, which you know, isn't a burnt offering, since it's eaten.

All you've done is repeat Paul's non-understanding of sacrificial mores.
>>
>>767614
All you've done is rejected the Lamb God provided you.
>>
>>767596
The Law outlines what is wrong and what isn't though. I think it would be silly for any Christian not to study it.

Do you believe Christians shouldn't worry about following the Ten Commandments
>>
>>767629
Christians shouldn't worry about anything.

Jews who have never properly kept one single Passover, Jews with no Temple, and therefore no sacrifices, Jews with no High Priest, those Jews should worry. Heavily.
>>
>>767653
Totally ignored my point, but whatever.

Someday I wish I'll be as """spiritual""" as you.
>>
Here is Saint John Chrysostom's commentary on this passage
http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/200116.htm
>>
He meant nothing changed.

>not an iota, not a dot

Except now there are three gods and sundays the new saturday.
>>
>>767663
Christians are dead to the Law.

You have completely and utterly failed to keep the Law.

Christians do what your forefathers tried to do in vain.

Do you understand that the righteousness of Israel depended upon your High Priest on Yom Kippur?

Well, my righteousness depends on the righteousness of YHWH, my High Priest, aka Jesus.
>>
>>767663

You will not get to where I am by failing to follow the Law of Sin and Death.

You will only get to where I am by confessing that Jesus is LORD, and believing in your heart YHWH raised Him from the dead.

None were found righteous by the Law; none but the Lamb of God, slain for the sins of the world. Pierced for our iniquities. Suffering wounds in the house of His friends.
>>
>>767683
Is this supposed to be funny? Witty? Accurate? On how many ways can this fail? It's truly breathtaking.
>>
>>767692
>>767711
>All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness
>2 Timothy 3:16

ALL scripture is God-breathed. This includes all of Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. I agree that avoiding what the books of the Law say is wrong is not enough to get into heaven (only repentance can do that), but still the books are very helpful in outlining what God wants us to do.
>>
>>767726
Of course it's all inspired by God. What the bible says constitutes the Old Covenant, is what constitutes the Old Covenant.

And what the bible says constitutes the New Covenant, constitutes the New Covenant.

God did not give us the Law so that we could follow the Law, and be found righteous. God gave us the Law so that we could figure out we cannot follow the Law, and therefore cannot be righteous under the Law.

The Law is meant to teach you that you need the grace and mercy of a loving God; that you cannot prove yourself holy to a holy God.
>>
>>767726
As to the last bit, there's nothing better than following the indwelling Holy Spirit for what to do on any given occasion.

If you are saved, learn to listen for and hear the Holy Spirit, and how He communicates to you, and how He responds to you.

Love God, and love neighbor; on those two hang all the law, and all the prophets.
>>
>>767753
Still doesn't mean you aren't supposed to try to follow the Law.

>>767759
God is silent sometimes.
>>
>>767766
Yes, it does. Stop trying to follow the Law. Follow the Holy Spirit. And then watch as you are actually following His Law.

God is never silent. His Word is available 24/7
>>
>>767831
Well if I follow the Holy Spirit, then I will probably be following the Law too.

And a lot of people feel like God isn't talking to them, even people like Mother Teresa.
>>
>>767877

9/10 extremely good, personalized bait. I like you anon.
>>
>>767877
The Word of God is available to you 24/7.

If Mother Teresa counted on her "good works" to get her into heaven, she's very hot and thirsty right now.
>>
>>767973
What do you mean by the Word of God?
>>
still haven't seen an adequate answer to the objection implied in th op
>>
it means christians are not required to follow the OT laws
>>
File: image.png (303 KB, 582x412) Image search: [Google]
image.png
303 KB, 582x412
>>769116
nah senpai, that's not what it says
>>
>>769167
i know you're being ironic, but that's exactly what it says
>>
>>769176
im being semi-ironic, in that im not trying to be demeaning but i would genuinely appreciate an explanation as to how in the world it says that
>>
>>769210
http://www.catholic.com/magazine/articles/why-we-are-not-bound-by-everything-in-the-old-law
>>
>>769307
i have a hard time buying into natural law

what's the ortho position on this?
>>
>>769355
anyone?
>>
>>769210
http://www.cbcg.org/franklin/SA/SA_fullfilllaw.pdf

http://www.answering-islam.org/Authors/Arlandson/fulfilled.htm (just ignore the name)

These explain it better than I could ever be able to on here.
>>
>>769724
which denomination is represented in these links
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.