[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Spanish Inquisition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 7
File: 6748f8ea516944e171a49983c7f5e696.jpg (268 KB, 1600x1131) Image search: [Google]
6748f8ea516944e171a49983c7f5e696.jpg
268 KB, 1600x1131
Is the Spanish Inquisition the worst thing the Catholic church has ever done?

>350 years long
>complete intolerance and repression of all other religions
>150,000 charged with crimes of heresy
>2,000-5,000 executed
>torture
>censorship
>>
>>76348
>2,000-5,000 executed
Over 350 years? You were probably more likely to be eaten by a shark.
>>
heretics got what they deserve senpai
>>
>spanish inquisition
>not the fourth crusade

baka
>>
>>76348
I am eternally grateful to them. Or do you still see any witches today?
>>
>>76445
Yeah, burning torturing and burning people alive for being protestant is OK as long as you don't do it too much.
>>
I'm Spanish

Check your fucking facts and see really how many people the inquisition killed.

The fucking english historias wiping his ass with a fake revision of history while they pillage the half of the world and write it down on the last paragraph as a simple joke.
>>
>>76484
The prominent medievalist Steven Runciman, wrote in 1954: "There was never a greater crime against humanity than the Fourth Crusade."[56] The controversy that has surrounded the Fourth Crusade has led to diverging opinions in academia on whether its objective was indeed the capture of Constantinople. The traditional position, which holds that this was the case, was challenged by Donald E. Queller and Thomas F. Madden in their book, The Fourth Crusade (1977).[57]

Constantinople was considered as a bastion of Christianity that defended Europe from the advancing forces of Islam, and the Fourth Crusade's sack of the city dealt an irreparable blow to this eastern bulwark. Although the Greeks retook Constantinople after 57 years of Latin rule, the Byzantine Empire had been crippled by the Fourth Crusade. Reduced to Constantinople, north-western Anatolia, and a portion of the southern Balkans, the empire fell to the Ottoman Turks who captured the city in 1453.[58]

Eight hundred years later, Pope John Paul II twice expressed sorrow for the events of the Fourth Crusade. In 2001, he wrote to Christodoulos, Archbishop of Athens, "It is tragic that the assailants, who set out to secure free access for Christians to the Holy Land, turned against their brothers in the faith. The fact that they were Latin Christians fills Catholics with deep regret."[59] In 2004, while Bartholomew I, Patriarch of Constantinople, was visiting the Vatican, John Paul II asked, "How can we not share, at a distance of eight centuries, the pain and disgust."[60] This has been regarded as an apology to the Greek Orthodox Church for the terrible slaughter perpetrated by the warriors of the Fourth Crusade.[61]
>>
>>76564

this
>>
>>76348

>5000 execution in 350 years

wow its fucking nothing
>>
>>76530
Well, yes. It was their decision to stray from the true faith.
>>
>>76564
Got a citation there m8?
>>
>>76595
Well, they arrested hundreds of thousands of people and forced them to be Catholic. Most probably agreed. Only 5000 stood up for their beliefs and got killed
>>
>>76704
Considering the shit that was happening in the Americas allow me to shed the tiniest tear for how evil, evil the Spaniards were against you poor little Europeans.
While Spanish priests were raping little girls, you complain about a thousand dead per century? Fetch me a couch, I'm fainting.
>>
>>76668
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leyenda_negra_de_la_Inquisici%C3%B3n

En contra de la creencia popular de que la Inquisición mató a cientos de miles, causa asombro el escaso número de los condenados a muerte en 296 años. La más grande autoridad de la Historia Colonial en México, Don Joaquín García Icazbalceta, exento de toda parcialidad a favor de la Iglesia, después de haber investigado, llegó a la conclusión siguiente: "No encuentro más Autos antes del grito de la Independencia y he aquí el resumen de las ejecuciones hechas en los Autos que dejamos referidos:

En persona

En efigie

Fr. M. De valencia

Fr. J. de Zumárraga

Autos de 1574

Autos de 1596

Autos de 1601

Autos de 1635

Autos de 1649

Autos de 1659

Autos de 1678

Autos de 1688

Autos de 1699

Autos de 1715

Autos de 1795

So on Mejico we have 41 burned and 99 "en efigie" over 296 years.

More shitty links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Inquisition#Death_tolls

and if you check the links of the death tolls on wikipedia is biased, so they are even less.
>>
>>76704
>hundreds of thousands

doubt.png
>>
>>76802
inquisition was a power grab, it definitely wasn't holy
>>
To be fair, why do you want to shit on false accusations to the inquisition? Does it make you feel better or something?
>>
File: 5142735771_f029ba8bf4_b.jpg (477 KB, 696x1024) Image search: [Google]
5142735771_f029ba8bf4_b.jpg
477 KB, 696x1024
>tfw the good old days
>tfw you'll never burn a heretic
>tfw you'll never give Jews and Muslims an ultimatum to convert or GTFO
>tfw
>>
>>76878
Keep in mind, it is likely that the toll was higher, keeping in mind the data provided by Dedieu and García Cárcel for the tribunals of Toledo and Valencia, respectively.
>>
>>76530
cry about it filthy prod
>>
>>76861
>conspiracy theory garbage

I didn't expect anything less
>>
>>76988
Dunno what are you talking about but anyways, I think the same as >>76916, you just want to be on your bubble and mock on your shitty beliefs when you are on a discussion board about history, very mature.
>>
>>76988
no anon that's called Spanish
>>
>>77035
>Dunno what are you talking about

That the only person that hypothesized that the numbers were exaggerated was a single filthy catholic in the 80s. (Keep in mind, it is likely that the toll was higher, keeping in mind the data provided by Dedieu and García Cárcel for the tribunals of Toledo and Valencia, respectively.)
>>
>>76988
JIDF detected.
>>77138
Kek rektd.
>>
What are some books that talk about the Inquisitors themselves instead of Isabella's motivations?
>>
>>76348
>Spanish Inquisition
That was just Anglo propaganda.
>>
>>77791
>spanish inquistion
>one of many inquisitions lead by the church
>300+ years of forced conversions
>just propaganda

lol wut
>>
>>77834

HELLO, UNFORTUNATE YET FELLOW PROTESTANT PAGAN

WHERE ARE THE SOURCES FOR YOUR CLAIM
>>
>>77868

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inquisition

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Inquisition

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Inquisition

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Inquisition

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Inquisition
>>
File: Matthewhopkins.png (77 KB, 409x528) Image search: [Google]
Matthewhopkins.png
77 KB, 409x528
The Spaniards ain't got nothing on this guy.
>>
>>76348
OP, that is only 5 people a year executed.

You probably want to read about the Trier Witch Trials

> biggest witch trial in European history
>a total of 1000 has been suggested but not confirmed

And that's only in 9 years

In France, the witchhunter Pierre de Lancre managed to kill 80 witches in only 4 months.
>>
>>78068
Different circumstances. A witch can't prove her innocence. During the inquistion they arrested hundreds of thousands of people and forced them to be Catholic. Most probably agreed. Only 5000 stood up for their beliefs and got killed
>>
>>78030
>no link about the witch hunts
Butthurt protestant Anglo detected.
>>
If you have anyone to blame for the inquisition and reconquista it would be the moorish invaders, the Christians denominations turned on each other once the greater threat was stunted.
>>
>>76704
It is interesting that Spain had just emerged from 800 years of brutal Islamic theocracy and while it obviously became a lot more violent because of it, it also went on to dominate the globe and discover the Americas. What all this shows is that you can do anything once the shackles of Islam are thrown off.
>>76802
When the conquistadors came to your land they discovered a civilisation founded on the very institutionalised and public sacrifice of little children. I'm sorry but even as bad as the Inquisition was, nothing could compare to that level of depravity. It was unfortunate that the South American Indians had to come into contact with such a brutalised form of Christianity as emerged from Moorish Spain (see >>76704) . It is also unfortunate that your people were involved in such despicable acts of ritual child murder to save your pitiless civilisation, and that the one thing that Christians hated above all else was those who sacrifice humans. But really it is largely your own fault.

Even your own Gods were against you. When the Conquistadors arrived you thought it the return of your white overlords Kukulkan (or Cu Chulainn) and lead them to your carnal houses and places of sacrifice, and then they proceeded to do what your Gods intended of them to do. Butcher every last one of you. That's a harsh pill, bro. But you can't say you didn't have it coming.
>>
>>76348
Notice the "Spanish" part? Meaning that it was done under the authority of the Spanish crown not the Pope or the church as a whole. That's what people don't understand about that period. The church doesn't have the authority to execute anyone, just excommunicate them. The people who were killed were executed for "treason" usually by the secular authorities.
>>
>>78088
the inquisition was made for catholics dude. The whole converso thing were allegations to former jews practicing judaism in secret.

And they didnt just arrest people, they went to see if the accusations were legit or were unfounded before declaring if the accused was guilty
>>
>>78270
Kings and queens of the time were not secular, state and religion were intimately entwined, but yes the nations were independent of the pope and acted in self interest.
>>
>>78270
It was absolutely Pope and bishops that lead it, as with all inquisitions
>>
File: 1401084739906.jpg (18 KB, 309x309) Image search: [Google]
1401084739906.jpg
18 KB, 309x309
>>76348
>2,000-5,000 executed
>350 years

More people are shot by dogs a year than were executed by the Spanish Inquisition.

Stay mad, heretic.
>>
>>76530
If American Protestantism is any indication, they should have killed a lot more.
>>
File: 1428626311132.jpg (48 KB, 393x525) Image search: [Google]
1428626311132.jpg
48 KB, 393x525
>>76348
The Spanish Inquisition has been largely blown out proportion. People tend to think of it as some roaming band of blood thirsty clergy who randomly killed and maimed people in the thousands. When in reality the Spanish inquisition probably killed some three thousand across its near 400 year history. Not only that but there are records of criminals requesting an inquisition trial over a civil trial as inquisition trials were known to be much more fair than the civil counterparts.
>>
>>76917
Don't forget the sodomites

Also daily reminder that degenerates were blown the fug out by God himself

http://geekychristian.com/evidence-sodom-is-tall-el-hammam/
>>
>>78088
>. During the inquistion they arrested hundreds of thousands of people and forced them to be Catholic
>forced them to be Catholic

Canon law allowed Jews to practise their religion and stated that they could not be subject to violence or be forced to have their children baptised
Richard William Southern; Western Society and the Church in the Middle Ages

For the most part, you where better off being seized by and inquisitor and being given the chance to repent (or being cleared of any wrongdoing) than being seized by an angry secular mob (mind you they were the ones that actually burned you).
>>
>>77756
Edward Peters, Inquisition
>>
>>76348
2k-5k casualties
thats laughable.
Isis probably kills as much monthly.

Yoyoyoyoyo how many people were killed because of Islam in the last 1.5 milennia?
I am gonna say at least 200M
>>
>>81302
270 million (as I once saw).

Just the Muslim conquest of India killed 80 million Hindus.
>>
>>81525
Holy fucking shit and I pulled those numbers out of my ass.

Got some leads on that source?
>>
>>76348
The Spanish Inquisition is the most overhyped BS of all time.

You only got burnt if you renounced the faith 3x

Spain needed it because the shifty Jews were crushing the poor with usury. Besides the fact that Jews have no honor and would fake baptism.

At least Christians and Muslims would have the honor to die for the faith.

Jews just subvert and adapt.

Anyone who is anti-Inquisition is a blue pilled faggot
>>
>>76348
Those monsters executed 5.7-14.3 people per year!!!!
>>
>>81612
Sometimes, your rough intuition is just right...

For the number of 270 million:
http://www.politicalislam.com/tears-of-jihad/

About the slaughter of Hindus:
http://www.danielpipes.org/comments/29320
>>
>>76348
Nice Black Legend you have there. The inquisition was far worse in other parts of Europe but of course they didn't have the anglos turning them into baby-eaters.
>>
>>81673

Wasn't even just shifty Jews. It was shifty Moors, and shifty politics as well.

There's a whole aspect of political Catholicism and its importance to various European dynasties (The Habsburgs being the most prevalent) that's almost always completely overlooked.
>>
>>81673
>shifty Jews were crushing the poor with usury.
well, the jews WERE forced to take the role of money lenders. It was prohibited to christians to lend money and the jews couldnt work in anything else.
>>
>>82163
>It was prohibited to christians to lend money
>It was prohibited of Christians to lend money and have no stake in the business.

ftfy
>>
>Spain killed all its degenerates and heretics
>can't have a single working colony

>Britain let degeneracy spread on its streets, and just sent their criminals and heretics to its colonies
>its colonies are successful

what went right?
>>
>>76348

>complete intolerance and repression of all other religions

Rightfully so. Btw, how were other religions treated in protestant countries, specially in England and Ireland?

>2000-5000 executed
>torture
>censorship

Wow, again that's fucking nothing compared to the protestant ways and numbers.

>>78088

>arrested them and forced them to be Catholic

The Inquisition was for Catholics. If you were a muslim or a jew, the deal was convert or leave Spain. Your choice lad. If you cheekily fake convert so that you can stay but keep secretly keep being muslim/jew, then surprise Inquisition time happens.
>>
File: Papa-JudiosArgentina.jpg (171 KB, 1600x963) Image search: [Google]
Papa-JudiosArgentina.jpg
171 KB, 1600x963
>all these "Christians" justifying murder ITT
>>
>>81679
Well, they arrested hundreds of thousands of people and forced them to be Catholic. Most probably agreed. Only 5000 stood up for their beliefs and got killed
>>
>>83734
>If you were a muslim or a jew, the deal was convert or leave Spain

I'm so glad the church has lost all its power. That must have been so terrifying
>>
Could this be about real discusión? Fucking anglos with their propaganda on XXI century. If you want todo discuss accept you could be wrong and change tour mind fucking morons.
>>
>>85009
>not knowing that the inquisition literally couldn't spill blood
protestant education everyone
>>
File: 8FXZM.jpg (70 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
8FXZM.jpg
70 KB, 499x499
>>86101
And yet there were thousands of murders
>>
>>85404
Do you understand how hard it is to arrest hundreds of thousands of people and that's it's kind of impossible to force someone to be Catholic?
>>
>>86192
It's not difficult over the course of 300 years. It's also not difficult to convert someone if you threaten to torture or burn them at the stake (as was done)
>>
>>76348
Spanish inquisition was justified
>>
>>83734
>Btw, how were other religions treated in protestant countries

Far better, seeing how there are plenty of papists in protestant countries, but pretty much none in papist ones.
>>
>>86210
The inwuisition was to catch Finns who would say they converted but continued to practice their Finnish ways. The inquisitors were mostly Finn converts to Catholicism themselves
>>
>>86240
>being this historically illiterate
>>
>>76348
need another one to be perfectly honest with you brother
>>
>>86101
>g that the inquisition literally couldn't spill blood

Except they did all they time faget

>In order to interrogate the accused, the Inquisition made use of torture, but not in a systematic way. It was applied mainly against those suspected of Judaism and Protestantism, beginning in the 16th century. For example, Lea estimates that between 1575 and 1610 the court of Toledo tortured approximately a third of those processed for heresy.[83] In other periods, the proportions varied remarkably. Torture was always a means to obtain the confession of the accused, not a punishment itself. Torture was also applied without distinction of sex or age, including children and the aged.
>>
>no comments about how the Inquisition ran out of the spanish royalty rather than the church
>>
>>86235

>Far better, seeing how there are plenty of papists in protestant countries, but pretty much none in papist ones.
There is a fair bunch of Evangelicals in LatAm.
>>
>>76348
I'm pretty sure the first crusade got more Europeans killed because of all the asshole farmers prancing over there before the knights.
>>
>>76917
this pic needs a funny caption, or thought/word bubbles for the three people in it

wish i could think of something. any comedic /his/torians want to help me out?
>>
>>86235
That's only recently. Historically if you are not Protestant, you are screwed if the state finds out
>>
>>86318
i suspect the inquisition did not indeed torture - worldly authorities did (i.e. "judges do not arrest, police do")
>>
>>86210
Considering there was little to no burning at the stake I find that implausible.
>>
>>78149
>you thought it the return of your white overlords Kukulkan
I resent this implication. Not all of the American natives were Mayan or Aztec. The hundreds of Latin American native cultures have extremely diverse and varied traditions of children and virgin sacrifices, and this plurality needs to be appreciated.
>>
>>76348
Well it lead to my country getting its independence so I'm cool with it
>>
>>76575
>copy pasting wiki
I dont think this is what the sticky meant when it referred to high level of discourse
>>
>2,000-5,000
That isn't even that many. This is more of a meme than #HandsUpDontShoot.
>29 UNARMED BLACK MEN WERE SHOT BY COPS THIS YEAE
So what? Explain to me why their Killers weren't justified.
>>
some1 pls give me a brief overview of the spanish inquisition
>>
>>76348

>intolerance of other religions

Can anyone say why this is a bad thing?
>>
>>78088
>A witch can't prove her innocence
And you say that as a good thing? At least the inquisition gave you the option of convert, even if you lied about it (a lot of people did).
If you were accused of being a witch you were dead since that moment.
>>
>>76348
>5000 executed at most over centuries in THREE FUCKING CONTINENTS

Why the fuck do atheists bash them, again? They literally dindu nuffin for the fucking time.
>>
spinach?
>>
>>89552
I'm talking about Europe and the two Americas.
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.