[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Red-pill me on Medieval Russia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: medieval-russia.jpg (55 KB, 450x313) Image search: [Google]
medieval-russia.jpg
55 KB, 450x313
I'm trying to write a novel, or a short story, in Medieval Russia (and Ukraine). Do they have legendary epics, such as Roland, St. George, and the dragons, etc? What about legendary creatures such as elves, dwarves, goblins, dog-headed men, werewolves? Who were their main theologians? What was their cosmology like? Did they believe in the Ptolemaic universe? Is it true that Orthodox theology rejects Aristotle and is more Platonic? Was there a dialectic relationship between Christianity and Paganism as there was in the Christian West (Christmas tree, some Pagan gods becoming saints, etc.)? In short, Russian Middle Ages? Wussup wit dat?
>>
Why do you want to write about something you don't know?
>>
>>759764
/thread
>>
>>759764
Write about what you're interested in.

>>759749
Read some books on the subjects, don't get random info from anons.
>>
> Do they have legendary epics
They got legends about Bogatyrs. They are kind of knights who fought against nomads and slavic variation of dragons called Zmeis. Slavic dracons are unholy abominations of classic dragons with greek hydras only sentient, can talk, etc.
> What about legendary creatures
You can thank Slavic mythology for such classic monsters as vampires, house elves, forest spirits and mermaids, fire-birds and of course Lich King.
>>
>>759749
>redpill me
>>
I can summarize Russian history in one phrase, "and then it got worse".
>>
>>759764
>>759792
Human beings can learn you know? I'll write about what interests me and I'll try to learn everything about it. I'm looking for hot tips here.
>>
>>759749
> some Pagan gods becoming saints
Perunas turned into Saint Elijah for example. All of common people kind of believed in both pagan and Christian tradition even if Church wasn't happy with such state of things.
>>
>>759808
Thank you good sir for beign the only person that answered my question. Now, it makes sense to me that Slavic dragons are like Greek hydras, but I thought elves came from Norse mythology and Lich Kings? Please red-pill me on Lich Kings!
>>
>>759845
oh come on.

The entire Roman Catholic church operates that way.
>>
Everything went to shit when Ivar the Terrible crushed Novgorod.
>>
>>759845
Thanks. In France Apollo is Saint Sebastian.
>>
File: 458px-Turgenev_by_Repin.jpg (50 KB, 458x600) Image search: [Google]
458px-Turgenev_by_Repin.jpg
50 KB, 458x600
OP read Turgenev's short story "Bezhin Meadow".
>>
>>759808
>Bogatyrs

Literally nothing Slavic about that shit. Even the word bogatyr comes from the Mongolian word baghatur.
>>
>>759859
> Please red-pill me on Lich Kings!
There is a recurring character in Russian folklore known as Tsar Koschei the Deathless. Koschei cannot be killed by conventional means targeting his body. His soul (or death) is hidden separate from his body inside a needle, which is in an egg, which is in a duck, which is in a hare, which is in an iron chest (sometimes the chest is crystal and/or gold), which is buried under a green oak tree, which is on the island of Buyan in the ocean. As long as his soul is safe, he cannot die. If the chest is dug up and opened, the hare will bolt away; if it is killed, the duck will emerge and try to fly off. Anyone possessing the egg has Koschei in their power. He begins to weaken, becomes sick, and immediately loses the use of his magic. If the egg is tossed about, he likewise is flung around against his will. If the needle is broken, Koschei will die.
>>
>>759749
>
read Afanasiev tales
>>
>>759893
> word bogatyr comes from the Mongolian word
Many of common Russian words are actually of Mongolian origin.
>>
>>759912
Along with Russians themselves.
>>
>>759897
Thank you Anonsky. You see? This is why I asked. There's no way I would have known about Tsar Koschei the Deathless without asking.
>>
>>759893
>legends about slavic heroes
>not slavic

And the retard award goes tooooo
>>
>>759920
DNA says no
>>
>>759990
I was memeing. But honestly many cultural Russians believe to be Slavic are not Slavic at all considering they have traceable Asian origin and aren't found in other Slavic nations to the west of Russia.
>>
>>760005
*cultural things
>>
File: fomenko.png (198 KB, 638x400) Image search: [Google]
fomenko.png
198 KB, 638x400
>>759990
>>759912
>>759893
> people still believe in so called Mongols
> who was just special corpse of Russians
That is what you get by blindly following fabricated sources instead of calculations based of linguistic distance and comet sightings. Once against real science with the help of mathematicians uncover deep conspiracies and solved historical mystery. :^)
>>
File: roerich20.jpg (53 KB, 480x298) Image search: [Google]
roerich20.jpg
53 KB, 480x298
I don't care about racial purity. All I care about is what Medieval people identifying as Russian (or Ukrainian or Belarusian) believed before the Modern Era. Be it Pagan, Buddhist, or Christian.
>>
>>760019
>fomenko

>muh phantom time hypothesis
>>
>>760019
>dat map
What am I looking at?
>>
>>760080
>medieval people identifying as Ukrainian

top lel
>>
Too many russkies in this thread.
>>
>>760106
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Chronology_(Fomenko)
It is official map from Fomenko book. He is russian meme historian and mathematician. Basically it is like hyperwar only published.
>>
>>760080
Buddhist Russians? Explain yourself.
>>
>>760258
Mongolians
>>
>>760263
>MahngOHlians
Corrected for accuracy
>>
File: 220px-Golden_Temple_Elista.jpg (15 KB, 220x239) Image search: [Google]
220px-Golden_Temple_Elista.jpg
15 KB, 220x239
>>760258
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalmykia
>>
>>760520

Kalmyks didn't exist in medieval russia.
>>
>>760080
Mostly pagan, but completely Christian after Saint Vladimir.
>>
>>759749
>Legendary epics
here you go, one of the more famous (and older) ones:
http://web.mit.edu/sciric/www/translations/igor.html
>>
>>760005
>many cultural Russians believe to be Slavic are not Slavic at all considering they have traceable Asian origin and aren't found in other Slavic nations to the west of Russia.
Slavic is a language group, not a genetic group. The very word "Slav" (Slověninŭ in Proto-Slavic) originally just meant "speakers", from "slovo" meaning "word". So cultural Russians are indeed perfectly Slavic, so long as they speak Russian.
>>
We have fairytales. There are different creatures and stuff. Many of those are mentioned in Witcher. I mean most of things in witcher are from slavic folclore except elves, trolles and sime other things. Bogatyri were mentioned btw. Yes the word itself originates from turkik language vut what do you expect, eastern slavs were fighting and dealing with turks from the very beginning. Huge amount of words in russian and ukrainian have turkik origin.
>>
The book of Veles is a very good source on slavic paganism.
>>
>>760087
Phantom time hypothesis may be or may not be true, there are partial proofs for some of their claims giving a place for serious discussion. More in antics than during early middle ages(or so called dark ages) but there is some.

The problem is that every historian who tackled it was retarded faggot who would take hyperwar for real and you just can't treat those people seriously.
>>
>>759838
Fascination =/= interest
>>
>>761441
>see dendrochronology (and that's only assuming your conspiracy asserts that carbon dating is completely wrong, protip: it's not.)
>>
>>761437
If you want to LARP, yes. If you want actual reliable scholarly information, no. Linguistically it's a patent fake on the same order as the Ossian cycle. Whoever made it didn't even bother trying.
>>
>>761445
I'm not saying the conspiracy is real.

The antic "multiplying of events" may be real in few specific examples and this is something that was treated seriously by historians in the 80's and resulted in research that's still underway regarding several events.

Obviously things like "post WRE collapse dark age didn't exist" and the revisionist historical theories are plain bullshit, in fact majority of "phantom" periods were real and not made-up, but I wouldn't be surprised if Rohl or Formenko were right on an issue or two.
>>
>>759819
I upboat this post for It's exquisite meme.
10/10 post and Reddit gold for you, my dude.
>>
>>759749
The medieval period lasts for a thousand years, you're gonna have to be a bit more specific
>>
Pretty inexpensive used copy available of this excellent book. :^)

http://www.amazon.com/Russia-Russians-History-Geoffrey-Hosking/dp/0674011147/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1456663198&sr=8-5&keywords=geoffrey+hosking
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.