[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Famous Expeditions and Explorers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7
File: henry-morton-stanley-kalulu-1872.jpg (245 KB, 1168x1600) Image search: [Google]
henry-morton-stanley-kalulu-1872.jpg
245 KB, 1168x1600
I am really interested in old expeditions, preferably in the victorian era. Everything was so unknown back then, there were mysteries everywhere.
Sadly I don't really know much about famous explorers or expeditions, but I'd love to learn about it.

What are some of the best travel journals from the georgian/victorian/edwardian era (or any era, if it's interesting)? I wanna read about unknown lands, strange new cultures, archeological findings, jungle expeditions, seafaring, maybe hunting for animals/cryptids and so on...

Tell me everything interesting you know, that would be great!
>>
File: 30ni59t.jpg (902 KB, 800x588) Image search: [Google]
30ni59t.jpg
902 KB, 800x588
Bump
>>
Bump again, cmon, I've waited so long for a board like this :(
>>
>>76059
It isn't going to be that fast of a board, be patient. People like to busy themselves shitposting in atheist/religious threads or /pol/ bait.
>>
>>76218
Yeah, I was just bumping so fast because somehow my thread wasn't bumped at all, so I tried again...

It's sad that this board is alread infested with cancer and shitposters. It's even sadder that people fall for those threads.
>>
File: Samuel Baker.jpg (115 KB, 457x662) Image search: [Google]
Samuel Baker.jpg
115 KB, 457x662
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Baker

This guy explored parts of Africa in the 1860s. He also did a lot of other interesting things like hunting down large boars in Ceylon with just a knife and some dogs.
>>
A while back, I grabbed a $2 Kindle Daily Deal off Amazon on a whim, "Journeys on the Silk Road," which is about an archaeologist named Aurel Stein who did a lot of excavation of the caves at Dunhuang. It was a really interesting book, and Stein is a pretty interesting character. I'd recommend it.
>>
File: flashmancharge.jpg (50 KB, 329x500) Image search: [Google]
flashmancharge.jpg
50 KB, 329x500
Read the "Flashman" novels.

Yes, they're novels, but George MacDonald Fraser is a terrific storyteller, and a real history buff. Every one is meticulously researched and real historic figures woven into the thread beautifully.

Even his footnotes are worth reading.
>>
>>75681
/lit/'s wiki has a great section on travel writing check out this link the whole bottom of the page is dedicated to it
http://4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Recommended_Reading/Non-fiction
>>
>>83325
annotated bibliography on Victorian travel writing:
http://pastebin.com/0r0bxrfk

the section on anthology is actually dedicated to anthologies of travel writing. The rest is dedicated to secondary scholarship on travel writing
>>
File: Cãndido Rondon.jpg (66 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
Cãndido Rondon.jpg
66 KB, 300x400
Brazilian explorer of the Amazon.

State of Rondonia is named after him, aswell as some cities.
>>
>>83577
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%A2ndido_Rondonshiet forgot link
>>
>>75681
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Peters

Good lad.
>>
>>75681
You know he may have fucked that boy.
>>
>>75681
Marco Polo is vastly underrated

As far as explorers, maybe it was just my case, but Jacques Cartier was never really mentioned during my education so he was fun to learn about. Of course the Conquistadors might have some cool stories about the Inca and Aztecs.

Invisible cities is fiction but still god-tier
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.