[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the most savage, brutal, merciless, and overall terrifying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 8
File: romanus.jpg (57 KB, 527x720) Image search: [Google]
romanus.jpg
57 KB, 527x720
What are the most savage, brutal, merciless, and overall terrifying civilizations to have existed? Why?
>>
The British.
>>
>>756018
how are we defining civilization?
>>
The Assyrians no doubt
they were easily the most metal civilization ever
>>
>>756025
This

I doubt anyone even comes close.
>>
>>756018
>Montezuma! The Spaniards have invaded Central America! What's our response, my liege?

>The answer is clear...

>#NOTALLCHRISTIANS
>THESE ARE NOT TRUE CHRISTIANS THEY R COWARDS WHO USE ISLAM AS A COVER TERRORISM HAS NO RELIGION #PRAY FOR AZTECS
>>
The British, clearly.

>come and go as they please, you can't stop them
>from 1700 on, they're EVERYWHERE
>always perfidiously switching sides and failing to fulfill diplomatic obligations
>seagoing, so have no sense of homeland and far more accustomed to manipulating other, greater peoples for their own benefit
>seagoing, and so rapaciously interfere with all non-British trading vessels so as to maintain hegemony of the seas
>Always think they're right
>Always flee back to their islansd when on the brink of being rightfully crushed

Is there anything worse than a Brit?
>>
>>756041
>this is actually kind of what happened
>>
>>756046
You forgot that they crushed the forces of Enlightenment and progress during the French Revolutionary Wars and managed to spin themselves as the good guys.
>>
>>756018
Modern-day Mexico
>>
>>756025
Some people say the Assyrians were only slightly worse than their neighbors but when slightly includes literally burying cities, making banners out of human skin, and building head mountains it's sort of stupid to say they weren't significantly worse.
>>
>>756041
>the christians use islam as a cover
>>
>>756046
Just imagine if Japan got away with similar BS. Good thing they sucked at invading.
>>
>>756066
How do you bury a city?
>>
>>756066
Don't forget literally putting people on pikes on city-walls and let them rot there.

Absolutely fucking metal state.
>>
>>756153
They would build siege ramps and cover the entrances in mounds of dirt to prevent people from leaving. This is what they did to Jerusalem after conquering the neighboring cities.
>>
>>756164
Hahahahahahahhaha

>tfw you will never carry buckets full of soil to the top of a siege tower for twelve hours a day in anticipation of an inevitable sack, rape and loot
>>
File: Anglos not present.png (220 KB, 318x615) Image search: [Google]
Anglos not present.png
220 KB, 318x615
>>756060
>You forgot that they crushed the forces of Enlightenment and progress during the French Revolutionary Wars
>they
Blutcher was British?
>>
File: 1454681839863.gif (426 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1454681839863.gif
426 KB, 400x300
>>756018
anything circa alchemy
>>
>>756171
They would also yell about what they were going to do before engaging in battle, these speeches were so horrific that there are accounts of mass desertions out of fear of what the Assyrians would do.
>>
>>756025
>>756032
>>756066
>>756162
>>756214

Any reading recommendations on the subject?
>>
>>756281
I don't have any off the top of my head
But fun fact
They'd literally have murals of genocides they committed painted in all of their government buildings
>>
The Nazis

Because of the 6 million
>>
>>756369
>little Moshe was gassed 5 times and the nazis just let him live
>>
>>756020
/thread
>>
>>756214
How did culture this metal get cucked into christianity?
>>
>>756281
I found this little 11-page, illustrated paper, on Assyrian torture and brutality:

http://faculty.uml.edu/ethan_Spanier/Teaching/documents/CP6.0AssyrianTorture.pdf

>Salmaneser III’s written records supplement his pictorial archive: “I filled the wide plain with the corpses of his warriors…. These [rebels] I impaled on stakes. …A pyramid (pillar) of heads I erected in front of the city.”

Okay, fuck the Nazis, I'm going to use Assyrians as the main inspiration for the bad guys in any fiction I write from now on.
>>
>>756018
The medieval Mongols, the past century's Germans, ...
>>
>>756548
Taken over by the most tolerant empire of them all, probably as reaction to Assyrian brutality. Fucking Persians man. Then they were followed by the equally tolerant Greeks and then it all culminated in the slave religion flowing everywhere.
>>
>>756060
>""""""they""""""
>>
>>756560
>Taken over by the most tolerant empire of them all

Perthaps ultraviolence isn't always the solution.
>>
The British helped invent civilisation, alongside the Chinese, who were also some of the most refined peoples under the planet underneath the Tang dynasty. The British pioneered Parliamentary democracy, the rule of law, the industrial revolution, freedom of expression; we fought (alone) for freedom against tyranny in WW2 and eventually triumphed. The opposite of civilisation is the Nazis, Maoist China (ironically), Stalinism, Pol Pot, Islamic State
>>
>>756590
>invade china so they can keep dealin' there
>assume moral highground

Perfidous!
>>
I'd vote 4 contenders

>Assyrians
>Mongols
>Aztecs
>Khmer
>Celts

Assyrians and Aztecs are well known for the brutality, both exceeding that of their neighbors (Mesopotamians, Persians, and Mayans.). Mongols were pretty brutal because of their using people as pack slaves to lead the charge into cities. Not only that, but they would torture people who committed the worst sin of all, betrayal. There was a point where Genghis Khan had molten silver poured into the skull of someone who killed his messenger. Plus, his final swan song of ERADICATING the Xia empire. Not even normal genocide, fucking ERADICATION, to the point where the only accounts of it ever existing anymore are from Chinese texts, and leftover relics found deep within Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan.

The Celts practiced scalping, and they loved setting up choke points where they would fucking destroy people following them. The Vikings took this strategy because of how successful it was when battling over a river. There was a point where one viking killed over 40 Bretons chasing his cohorts over a river before one decided to float down a river in a barrel and stab him in the dick.

The Khmer are the most brutal, I'd say. Punji traps are absolutely the most brutal thing used in warfare before the invention of the flamethrower. It's what made their successor state, Siam, able to avoid colonization by both Asians and Europeans. Neither the Mongols or the Chinese wanted to put up with their bullcrap, quite literally, as they would smear their weaponry, especially the aforementioned Punji traps, in feces, to make extra sure you would feel the stab. Not only that, but they invented several martial arts designed to break bones ruthlessly. They were the first to develop lethal martial arts, as far as we know, and they would involve snapping arms and finishing enemies off with a stomp. Khmer emperors, like Ramkhamhaeng, would have martial arts show matches that were much like gladiator combat, but without weapons.
>>
File: 2114345780_267cb84d9c_b[1].jpg (647 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
2114345780_267cb84d9c_b[1].jpg
647 KB, 1024x768
>>756645
More on the Khmer (pronounced Kuh-my if you didn't know):

>Had absolutely brutal fucking swords and spears
>Used war elephants so efficiently that neither the Mughals nor any of the Indian civilizations in the past were able to break into their territory
>Waged successful wars against everyone in the surrounding jungles because of their special warfare strategies
>If the trees were too far spaced to climb between for sneak attacks, or too dense to do so, they would burn them down.
>Used controlled fires to trap and incinerate fleeing armies
>Punji traps would be set up strategically, and were used to demoralize invaders
>Like, these were the Asian equivalent of Vlad's 20k impaled to ward off the Turks
>The Khmer would take the impaled corpses out and use them to demoralize enemies even further

They couldn't war for shit outside of the jungles, which is why they lost several fights at rivers, but holy shit, they played a mean defensive game. Them teaching their defensive strategy to the Viets over a thousand or so years paid off, since that shit was STILL EFFECTIVE, even against the strongest modern military in the world.
>>
>>756018
Rome, it destroyed European civilization and left it in a dark age.
>>
File: images[1].jpg (17 KB, 279x180) Image search: [Google]
images[1].jpg
17 KB, 279x180
>>756674
I seriously cannot express how brutal these guys were adequately. The bas-reliefs tell all. Even the Japs were not this brutal, ever. They scared off the Mongols, who had only previously been scared off by 2 hurricanes hitting them when they tried to invade Japan.

The Khmer were so good at defensive warfare. So fucking good. Siam only fell to one enemy, and that was the Japanese army in WWII.
>>
>>756060
>You forgot that they crushed the forces of Enlightenment and progress during the French Revolutionary Wars
You say that like it's a bad thing.
>>
>>756704
It is
Ree
>>
File: logo.png (139 KB, 350x249) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
139 KB, 350x249
>>756550
>>
>>756020

>I am 12 and my friend just posted a dank maymay about eternal angles on my twitter
>>
>>756674
>since that shit was STILL EFFECTIVE, even against the strongest modern military in the world.

Only because WWII made it a war crime to enact strategies against asymmetric warfare. If that had been any other "brown people with sticks versus white people with guns" conflict then they'd have gotten BTFO just like everyone else.
>>
>>756025
Fucking this.

There are inscriptions in the British Museum depicting piles of human heads with the King proclaiming proudly how he brutally tortured and executed tens of thousands of enemies.
>>
>>756550
>“The king, who acts with the support of the great gods his lords and has conquered all lands, gained dominion over all highlands and received their tribute, captures of hostages, he who is victorious over all countries.”

>“The nobles [and] elders of the city came out to me to save their lives. They seized my feet and said: ‘If it pleases you, kill! If it pleases you, spare! If it pleases you, do what you will!’”

>“I flayed as many nobles as had rebelled against me [and] draped their skins over the pile [of corpses]; some I spread out within the pile, some I erected on stakes upon the pile … I flayed many right through my land [and] draped their skins over the walls.”

>“I felled 50 of their fighting men with the sword, burnt 200 captives from them, [and] defeated in a battle on the plain 332 troops. … With their blood I dyed the mountain red like red wool, [and] the rest of them the ravines [and] torrents of the mountain swallowed. I carried off captives [and] possessions from them. I cut off the heads of their fighters [and] built [therewith] a tower before their city. I burnt their adolescent boys [and] girls.”

“In strife and conflict I besieged [and] conquered the city. I felled 3,000 of their fighting men with the sword … I captured many troops alive: I cut off of some their arms [and] hands; I cut off of others their noses, ears, [and] extremities. I gouged out the eyes of many troops. I made one pile of the living [and] one of heads. I hung their heads on trees around the city.”
>>
>>757519
>we see an Assyrian soldier grasping the hand and arm of a captured enemy whose other hand and both feet have already been cut off. Dismembered hands and feet fly through the scene. Severed enemy heads hang from the conquered city’s walls. Another captive is impaled on a stake, his hands and feet already having been cut off. In another detail, we see three stakes, each driven through eight severed heads, set up outside the conquered city. A third detail shows a row of impaled captives lined up on stakes set up on a hill outside the captured city. In an inscription from Shalmaneser III’s father, Ashurnasirpal II, the latter tells us, “I captured soldiers alive [and] erected [them] on stakes before their cities.”

>“Nabû-ushabshi, their king, I hung up in front of the gate of his city on a stake. His land, his wife, his sons, his daughters, his property, the treasure of his palace, I carried off. Bit-Amukâni I trampled down like a threshing (sledge). All of its people, (and) its goods, I took to Assyria.”

>a king of Urartu, threatened by Sargon II, committed suicide: “The splendor of Assur, my lord, overwhelmed him [the king of Urartu] and with his own iron dagger he stabbed himself through the heart, like a pig, and ended his life.”

>“I cut their throats like lambs. I cut off their precious lives (as one cuts) a string. Like the many waters of a storm, I made (the contents of) their gullets and entrails run down upon the wide earth. My prancing steeds harnessed for my riding, plunged into the streams of their blood as (into) a river. The wheels of my war chariot, which brings low the wicked and the evil, were bespattered with blood and filth. With the bodies of their warriors I filled the plain, like grass. (Their) testicles I cut off, and tore out their privates like the seeds of cucumbers.”
>>
>>757528
>“Forty-six of [Hezekiah’s] strong walled towns and innumerable smaller villages... I besieged and conquered.... As for Hezekiah, the awful splendor of my lordship overwhelmed him.”

>Sennacherib was murdered by his own sons. Another son, Esarhaddon, became his successor. As the following examples show, Esarhaddon treated his enemies just as his father and grandfather had treated theirs: “Like a fish I caught him up out of the sea and cut off his head,” he said of the king of Sidon; “Their blood, like a broken dam, I caused to flow down the mountain gullies”; and “I hung the heads of Sanduarri [king of the cities of Kundi and Sizu] and Abdi-milkutti [king of Sidon] on the shoulders of their nobles and with singing and music I paraded through the public square of Nineveh.”

>“Their dismembered bodies I fed to the dogs, swine, wolves, and eagles, to the birds of heaven and the fish in the deep…. What was left of the feast of the dogs and swine, of their members which blocked the streets and filled the squares, I ordered them to remove from Babylon, Kutha and Sippar, and to cast them upon heaps.”

>When Ashurbanipal didn’t kill his captives he “pierced the lips (and) took them to Assyria as a spectacle for the people of my land.”

>“The sepulchers of their earlier and later kings, who did not fear Assur and Ishtar, my lords, (and who) had plagued the kings, my fathers, I destroyed, I devastated, I exposed to the sun. Their bones (members) I carried off to Assyria. I laid restlessness upon their shades. I deprived them of food-offerings and libations of water.”

>There is no reason to doubt the historical accuracy of these portrayals and descriptions. Such punishments no doubt helped to secure the payment of tribute—silver, gold, tin, copper, bronze and iron, as well as building materials including wood, all of which was necessary for the economic survival of the Assyrian empire.
>>
>>757541
Suddenly, playing as the Assyrians in Age of Empires or any other strategy game doesn't sound as prestigious.
>>
>>756018
Mongol, one of the three big early calpihates.
Maybe ottoman.
Nazis, japs.

Curious to hear more about assyrians.
>>
>>756018
Mesoamerican civilizations.

Cortez did nothing wrong.
>>
>>757541
>>757528
>>757519

Fucking hell these fuckers were savages.

Based Persians saved the world from these fuck. BTFO so hard they never rose again.

612 BCE greatest year of my life
>>
>>756704
t.legitimists
>>
File: EHOmu.jpg (79 KB, 300x256) Image search: [Google]
EHOmu.jpg
79 KB, 300x256
FUCKING PERSIAN FAGS GET THE FUCK OFF MY PENINSULA REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Test
>>
>>756550
My Sumerian textbook described "curse formulas" as part of contractual terms (in case of breach). A quote from the Neo-Assyrian period was given that went:

> may the tests of your young women and the penises of your young men be dragged to and fro in the squares of Assur by wild dogs and pigs; and may your corpse not find rest in the earth, but in the belly of a dog or pig.

Metal as fuck
>>
We were bringing civilisation to savages and smelly frenchmen.
>>
>>757557
None of those are even close to Assyrians.
>>
>>756079
they do, though. Spain actually argued the invasions of the Americas was a continuation of the struggle against the moors, to bring christ to all heathens.
The Reconquista segued directly into the Conquista without pausing.
>>
>>761147
Assyrians lasted only 65 years though, and they spent half of that time inavading Bablylon over and over again
>>
>>756696

Recommend me a book on Khmer badassery.
>>
Can't believe nobody mentioned the Vikings. May not have been the most brutal, yet there is something special about about a civ that plundered and raped for the fuck of it. Not to mention their religion stated the only way to heaven was through dying in battle.
>>
>>761227
Mongols lasted about as long before fucking it up. Same with Timurids, japs and nazis. Ottomans were renowned for their religious tolerance and the only shit they did was the janissary tax in the Balkans.
>>
>>756590
>we fought (alone) for freedom against tyranny in WW2
Often people dont see the true amount the british did in WW2 (Burma, africa) but how dare you write >(alone)
>>
>>761264
>vikings
>a civilization
This is what happens when you learn history from vidya.
>>
>>756590
They didn't "help invent civilization" you moron. They just colonized other cultures.
>>
>>761435
>Ottomans were renowned for their religious tolerance

nice meme
>>
>>761638
It's true retard, but not in liberal way.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.