[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>google world war 2 Fucking Greece as one of the 5 main combatants?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 11
File: Capture.png (180 KB, 646x639) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
180 KB, 646x639
>google world war 2

Fucking Greece as one of the 5 main combatants?
Wtf google

Should easily be Japan or Italy
>>
Good

That'll teach people to assume Google is a reasonable source of information to be taken at tace value
>>
Lol chinkland, but they did do more than Greece.

inb4 pay debts
>>
File: 8005.jpg (188 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
8005.jpg
188 KB, 1280x720
>google it
>it's real
>>
>>75366
Do you know how many died in China? The entire death toll of the western allies would be a couple battles in china.
>>
>>75327
>view 20+ more
>>
File: 1433737231477.png (497 KB, 1203x1447) Image search: [Google]
1433737231477.png
497 KB, 1203x1447
>>75327
>China
>PRC not ROC
Fucking Maoists working a google i swear
>>
>>75327
>PRC
>not the ROC

GOOGLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>75572

I really REALLY like this picture
>>
File: 1433732718497.png (71 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
1433732718497.png
71 KB, 403x403
>>75612
Save it friend, its all yours
>>
>>75366
China was the country which took the most casualties in WW2. Sometimes a single battle in China killed more people than died in all 6 years for the British.
>>
>PRC
Well, to be fair they did contribute but the official government at the time should have been the ROC.
>>
>>75677
No, that's the USSR. Lots of Chinese deaths can also be chalked up to famine and general incompetence by the ROC government. The fighting between the Chinese and Japanese became a stalemate by 1939-1940 with the exception of the Japanese constantly trying to take Changsha (I think?).

It's sad, but if the PRC had been in control during WWII, they probably would've slapped the Japanese out of Manchuria and Korea.

>mfw reading about the gommie chinks in the Korean War
>>
They were better than Italy and France, why not?
>>
>>75780
>Contributed
Hardly, they sat behind as the Kuomintang took all the real damage defending the people, all the while being called incompetent for not hiding in the mountains like the People Liberation Army had the luxury of doing while they stocked up supplies for when the civil war resumed, all the while winning a few isolated battles against Japanese forces after the Kuomintang had basically been defeated.
>>
>>75902
I'm not saying they were war heroes or anything, but manpower is manpower, and that should count as contribution.
>>
>>75844
>It's sad, but if the PRC had been in control during WWII, they probably would've slapped the Japanese out of Manchuria and Korea.

Thats a load of bullshit, the only merit the PRC had over the ROC was the fact that it was relatively small compared to the Logistical mess the ROC had to deal with, if the communist party had been in control it would have been exactly the same.
>>
>>75844
>It's sad, but if the PRC had been in control during WWII
The Communists deliberately avoided fighting the Japanese so that the ROC took most of the damage, they also attacked the ROC forces on multiple occasions.

In fact in some areas the Communists and Japanese had local truces so that they could both concentrate on fighting the ROC.
>>
>>75941
It's just an interesting 'what-if' considering the superior fighting ability of the PLA, namely in the area of infantry tactics.
>>
Japan yeah, Italy was less relevant than France though.
>>
File: 1445098278973.png (527 KB, 858x1000) Image search: [Google]
1445098278973.png
527 KB, 858x1000
>>75327
Google lists things based on the number of search queries and analytics, retard.

If Greece is showing up fourth, that is because people are googling for "World War II Greece" or somesuch combination to the point it is the fourth most related search.

It probably has to do with the whole "Greece will make the Germans pay reparations for WWII occupation" story that has been floating around the net for the past couple of years.

Google lists things according to convenience, you are the one that is in the wrong here. Bow to your machine overlords.
>>
>>75955
>>75941
>>75902
>PRC shills getting rekt hard
>>
I am sure that list is not taking contribution into account.
Because there is no way USA would be before the USSR if it was.
>>
>>75677
China would've been better off in the long run under Japan.
>>
>>76106
Not really since the Japanese were just interested in economic exploitation and not actually improving anything. They probably would have been better than Mao though.
>>
>>76095
USSR definitly contributed more than the US but it would have been impossible without US supplies supporting russias infantile war industry.
>>
Russia and China fought the real war. The West just mopped up after
>>
>>75327
>no UK either
>>
>>76095

Are you seriously trying to start this shit here?
>>
>>75327
>75327
greece fucked the entire war for the axis, fucking malakas.
>>
>>75993
Its only fighting ability above the ROC was the fact that it could conduct Guerrilla warfare, if the PRC was put into the same position as the ROC with managing a population of hundreds of millions stretched across large stretches of underdeveloped land, its not an easy task for any government.
>>
>>76128
Worst thing Mao ever did was actual try to transition into non dictator communism, when he tried to create communes it was such a logistical and underfunded mess he accidentally caused 30 million + to die.
>>
It don't appear to me in this way, why?
>>
>>76137
Not saying America wasn't important.
They are on the same level as the Brits to contribution to the allies, but without the USSR to be attacked by Hitler for no reason other than he was an insecure manlet, the allies would be royally fucked.
>>
>>76139

>China

t. wikipedia pro

Read a book. The US tried everything it possibly could to make China into a major player in the war but Chiang refused to reform the army and they faded into irrelevance. After Ichi-Go everyone stopped taking them seriously.
>>
>greece
>wrong china flag
what are they basing this off of
>>
>>76179
This, exactly. ROC was the official government and had to defend lines and areas. They were essentially FORCED into disadvantageous battles. PRC didn't have these "burdens" so they were free to conduct guerilla warfare behind enemy lines.
>>
>>75677
>China was the country which took the most casualties in WW2.
Nope, still Russia. 40 million russians dead. How many chinks, about 15 million? Meh.
>>
>>76211
Search terms and contemporary Wikipedia articles thus flags.
>>
>>75902
>>75955
This shit.

On the other hand, if the ROC stayed in power, the ROC may have very well been a 3rd (anti-communist) player in the cold war and grown drastically in a post-war boom. Basically, imagine if Mao didn't economically fuck over China, and Deng Xiaoping's policies had been instituted from day 1.
>>
>>76178
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvl9N9GdraQ

>>76191
Mao was too ideological and actually believed in Communism, unlike Stalin who was basically in it for dictatorial reasons.
>>
>>76262
>Mao was too ideological and actually believed in Communism
I highly doubt he even understood basic economic principles, much less Communism.
>>
>>76205
Do you really think Hitler would have tried to launch an trans-Atlantic inter-continental war when a reluctant America would have readily signed an armistice once he conquered Europa?
>>
>>76294
Apparently Molotov was told by Mao that he had not read Das Capital.
>>
>>76207
And? How does that negate anything I said? China took the brunt of the casualties in the Pacific War because the KMT was an incredibly incompetent government that was forced to arm peasants and throw them into the fight in droves.
>>
>>76325
I came to that conclusion on my own. Just look at Mao's track record. He clearly had no idea what he was doing. He kept passing these retarded laws that brought millions of deaths.
>>
File: laughing liberator.png (11 KB, 404x511) Image search: [Google]
laughing liberator.png
11 KB, 404x511
>>76137
>without lend lease the russians would have surely been defeated!1!

Yes, I'm sure those m3 lees you provided them with certainly turned the tide.
>>
File: Lyfzza5zoco30wd5ogbr.png (127 KB, 640x358) Image search: [Google]
Lyfzza5zoco30wd5ogbr.png
127 KB, 640x358
>Germany is on there
>Canada isn't

Fuck off Google.

Also why on earth would Italy of all places have precedence over the United Kingdom according to contribution? If anything they kept the war going until the States could come in and get things rolling.
>>
>>76389
>implying Canada had the same level of input as Germany

But yeah, I agree with UK > Italy.
>>
>Puts the United States and China
>Not putting Japan and Britian
>>
>>76367

Not him but I think the food and industrial goods probably made a bigger difference than the vehicles, but I don't have the stats. If anybody does, though, it might be interesting to see.
>>
>>76416

I wasn't being serious about the Canada thing.
>>
>>76389
>and get things rolling

The war was already decided by the time the yanks got their fat asses to europe.
>>
>>76442
I-I knew that.
>>
>>76367
>m3 lees
Oh god. Evil American capitalism at it's finest. 'Murika strong.
>>
Greece certainly wasn't one of the five main forces in the war, but Crete played a large roll in delaying Hitler's conquest. I read a book called "natural born heros" about the Cretian resistance it's pretty interesting
>>
>>76450

Well, get things rolling in a way that didn't involve Ivan putting his dick in some French ladies.
>>
>>76156
You mean stating facts?
>>
>>76367
M3 Lees, Shermans, Matildas, and Valentines. Don't forget the trucks, radios, and everything else you got from us, Vatnik.
>>
>>76504
shhh, you'll make the bald eagle cry again
>>
>>76504

That isn't a fact and you fucking know it. I agree with the opinion that the USSR had a greater contribution but let's really not pretend that's a fact, it's 100% open for debate.
That said I don't mind the debate happening as long as the Americans can keep their fucking heads and not just fling shit.
>>
File: Bagration.jpg (165 KB, 788x600) Image search: [Google]
Bagration.jpg
165 KB, 788x600
>>76367
>He actually thinks offensives like this would have been possible without US trucks and supplies.
>>
Every single /his/ thread is just going to be /pol/ vs. /int/ vs. /lit/ vs. /k/ vs. who the fuck ever shitposting isn't it?
>>
not to mention all the time shaved off from all the things U.S brought, all the time shaved and the resouces spared that could be used to making tanks.
>>
>>76620
WWII is the most plebian historical topic there is, so you'd better fucking believe it.
>>
>UK, the nation that turned what would have just been a quick land grab into a world war, isn't in the list
>>
>>76620
every single thread is diverse, is this a problem?

you have communists, fascists, liberals, hedonists etc..
>>
>>76663
>you have communists, fascists, liberals, hedonists etc.
And it's wonderful!
>>
>>76663
>is this a problem
I have no problem with an actual conversation/debate
I have a problem with pointless shitflinging.
>>
>>76620
Oh no! There is no consensus, how terrible.
>>
>>76620

>completely unprovoked the meta faggot starts bitching

People like you should be shot.
>>
>>75327
Well, Greeks resisted more than the French did for example and they also beat the Italians (first victory of the Allies), so there's that.
>>
>>76620

Oh look, the inevitable metabitching.

So tell me again how your post was any better for historical discussion than "Hitler did nothing wrong"?
For fuck's sake, "Hitler did nothing wrong" is even a better prompt for historical discussion than you whining about other boards.
>>
>>76715

Doing better than France in WWII isn't really much of an achievement, and I'm not even one of those "hurr durr surrender monkey" memers since I think France held their own just fine in the previous world war.
>>
>>76770
"For the sake of historical truth I must verify that only the Greeks, of all the adversaries who confronted us, fought with bold courage and highest disregard of death."

Adolf Hitler, speech before the Reichstag, 4 May 1941.
>>
>>76592
I'm pretty sure the soviet industry had the capacity to manufacture a bunch of trucks, what with it being one of the biggest ones in the world and all.
>>
>>76620
Why the fuck did you post this? When this thread was going just fine and you completely derailed it. /meta/ posters are such cancer.
>>
File: nsdap-18.jpg (450 KB, 715x1024) Image search: [Google]
nsdap-18.jpg
450 KB, 715x1024
>>76811
the fucking greeks fucked up the reich, fuck italians for instigating that fight.
>>
>>75327
Bear in mind that the Axis powers suffered their first defeat during the invasion of Greece, and this proved to be a major setback to their course of operations during the rest of the war.

Greece may not have been one of the big players of WWII but from the historical standpoint it's role in the war shouldn't be downplayed.
>>
>>76811

>Adolf Hitler
>Historical truth
>1941

And courage has nothing to do with the fact that there are plenty of people higher on the list as far as their relevance in the conflict goes.
I'm not trying to shit talk the Greeks, they did a hell of a job with what they had, but they weren't a major power in the conflict.
>>
>>76828
>USSR and Land Lease
Fuck you I've seen where these go.
>>
>>76866
It's not exactly downplaying how well they fought. It's just the Greece wasn't really a big mover and shaker, politically speaking, in the war. The UK or Japan would be a much better fit for that place.
>>
>>76828
>b-but muh /pol/ boogeyman
>>
>>76620
If nothing else /his/ is the easiest board to bait.
Like, seriously, you're all a bunch of dumbasses.
>>
>>76882

So basically you were pre-emptively whining about /pol/ discussion before it even happened, based on a controversial topic in history being raised for discussion?
Go fuck yourself if you seriously want this board to be "everyone discusses topics everyone agrees on."
As long as the usual suspects can be civil or people ignore the obvious shitposting there's no issue discussing controversial subjects. Only reply to people who voice an opinion based in fact, ignore the people posting /pol/ memes, and fuck off with your meta whining.
>>
>>76941
the u.k was a bitch, and just drained reich aircrafts, the greeks drained east frontier time.
>>
>>76367
>what are food, boots, trains, trucks and jeeps
come ON son, don't underplay lend lease, we gave the soviets a metric shitload of supplies
>>
>>76698
>I have a problem with pointless shitflinging.
I'm afraid you're on the wrong website.
>>
File: 1436712129639.png (89 KB, 200x194) Image search: [Google]
1436712129639.png
89 KB, 200x194
>>76972
>The battle of Britain was the UK's only involvement in the war
>>
>>76518
>>76592
>M3 lees

>Allies: America pls halp
>America: I don't really want to get involved...
>Allies: You don't have to fight just help us make things, here's the blueprints
>America: Well I guess I could...
>Allies: Thanks America!
>America: Here's your tanks
>Allies: What the fuck are these?!
>America: Well we don't have any tank engines so we put some radial aircraft engines
>Allies: But they're over 3 meters tall, and why is there no turret?
>America: There is a turret. It has a 37mm gun on it.
>Allies: But the main gun is on a sponson! This is a Great War tank design!
>America: Oh, yeah, that we didn't really do much of that Great War stuff. We didn't have any turrets that were big enough for a 75mm gun so we just put it in a sponson.
>Allies: Damn it America, what about the blueprints we gave you?
>America: Yeah, well, they weren't American so they suck.
>Allies: Damn it America.
>Hitler: MAKE A BIGGER TANK
>Hitler: NOW MAKE IT EVEN BIGGER
>>
>>77086
Hitler wasted a lot of resources on building bigger tanks which he could have devoted to much better uses such as the Luftwaffe.
>>
>>77141
Hitler was a charming politician, but he wasn't very well-versed in military issues.
>>
>>77141
He wasted even more resources on the Holocaust. I don't think the tank building is the main mismanagement of resources that took place.
>>
>>77141
Tanks were a technological dead end. The problem is before the war, very few people were able to envision the devastation of air superiority.
>>
>>76222
But they had agreements with the Japanese that they be allowed to have those areas, and local population to grow their bases. Even the one battle they fought against the Janaese was against what the top including Mao ordered, and only really consisted of some raids that they later dramatized in propaganda since that was the only thing they could claim they actually did.
>>
>>77149
Hitler is like that guy when you play Risk and he has nothing, and just just keeps adding 3 armies to his territory, and then tries an all or nothing gamble to conquer a continent.
>>
>>76959
>pre-emptively whining about /pol/ discussion
>/pol/
I've seen this discussion go to shit on /pol/, /k/, /tg/, /b/... Its a shitty topic that always ends in a shitshow. Just dont, okay.

You're just new to 4chan and dont know about the infamous lend lease deadlock.
>>
>>77181
>I'm going at war with the world, let me use endless resources on killing people working for me gratis
>>
>>76262
Mao did not believe in Communism at all he was a pragmatist, and only used it for his own power. The proof is how he relied on other actual idealist who he would manipulate or kill to rise to power. He hated doing actual labor, and had no empathy for the peasants. It why he left to go to school because he didn't want to take over from his father who was somewhat wealthier peasant in his village. Mao even said that the Nationalist were who he had more in common with to the point where he considered joining them.
>>
>>77273
>just don't

No.
>>
>>77382
Okay. Enjoy seeing every thread you make on the topic devolve into shit flinging, name calling and terrible, terrible source citation.

Dont say we didnt warn you. Fucking newfag.
>>
>>77494
>we

Could be any more full of yourself you fucking c.uck?

Jesus, just go and jump off a cliff or something, I think I'll manage with the big bad 4chan boys.
>>
>>77494
>newfag
>on a three-day-old board
>>
>>76367
Warning Anecdote ahead.
Supposedly the Huns captured Russia's primary radio (or maybe vaccum tube) factories in their initial plunder so most Soviet tanks couldnt communicate with each other. America stepped in with a fuck load of radios ( or radio component) that drastically improved the t34's performance. Anyone else heard this?
>>
>>75327
Doesn't say *main* combatants
>>
File: cyka.jpg (45 KB, 604x377) Image search: [Google]
cyka.jpg
45 KB, 604x377
>>77705
The t-34's weren't even issued with radios.

Is much waste of valuable electronics for simple tankisti, tovarish)))))
>>
>>77857
Didn't Germans have a tactic to exploit this weakness?

They would go behind enemy line in captured Russian tanks until they would find another group, and basically kill them in surprise attacks by first destroying the lead tank(which was the commanding tank, and the only one in the convoy which would be equipped with a radio), and then the other while they were in disarray, and shock?
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.