[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ETHICS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: Antiquity_548.jpg (40 KB, 379x426) Image search: [Google]
Antiquity_548.jpg
40 KB, 379x426
The Discourses by Epictetus

Book One, Chapter 18

That we ought not to he angry with the errors of others

If what philosophers say is true, that all men have one principle,
as in the case of assent the persuasion that a thing is so, and in the
case of dissent the persuasion that a thing is not so, and in the case
of a suspense of judgment the persuasion that a thing is uncertain, so
also in the case of a movement toward anything the persuasion that a
thing is for a man's advantage, and it is impossible to think that one
thing is advantageous and to desire another, and to judge one thing to
be proper and to move toward another, why then are we angry with the
many? "They are thieves and robbers," you may say. What do you mean by
thieves and robbers? "They are mistaken about good and evil." Ought we
then to be angry with them, or to pity them? But show them their
error, and you will see how they desist from their errors. If they
do not see their errors, they have nothing superior to their present
opinion.

"Ought not then this robber and this adulterer to be destroyed?"
By no means say so, but speak rather in this way: "This man who has
been mistaken and deceived about the most important things, and
blinded, not in the faculty of vision which distinguishes white and
black, but in the faculty which distinguishes good and bad, should
we not destroy him?" If you speak thus, you will see how inhuman
this is which you say, and that it is just as if you would say, "Ought
we not to destroy this blind and deaf man?" But if the greatest harm
is the privation of the greatest things, and the greatest thing in
every man is the will or choice such as it ought to be, and a man is
deprived of this will, why are you also angry with him? Man, you ought
not to be affected contrary to nature by the bad things of another.
Pity him rather: drop this readiness to be offended and to hate,

When I read this it was an eye opener for me.
Post your favorite quotes regarding ethics.
>>
Wow. Quotes like this show how little people have changed. We think ourselves so much more enlightened but this just shows how stupid that idea really is.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
>>
>>946994

I think it's sad that we are not teaching ethics in schools. How are we to know what a good person is then? How can we be good people if we do not hold a clear definition of what a good person who distinguishes between good and bad moral action is.

Even is prisons do they make an effort to give the offenders an education in ethics and morals of the society in which they live in, no. They leave prison as ignorant on that matter as when they entered still lacking in the faculty to distinguish good from bad action, still blind.
>>
>2016
>Not being an Ethical Egoist
>>
>>946994
>Wow. Quotes like this show how little people have changed. We think ourselves so much more enlightened but this just shows how stupid that idea really is.

I know... I always had this feeling of "we know better today".

But when you look at people like Epictetus or when you read Thucydides you realize how smart, how sophisticated the Greeks were. In some ways, smarter and wiser than we are.

>>947056
If you really care for yourself, if you want to be a happier person, a superior person, you would be better off following Epictetus than following any ethical egoist.
>>
>>946984
You needed to read a book to know this? I thought it was common to think in this way.
>>
>>947050

I think so too.
Mostly Classical Ethics. In some issues, Classical Ethics is superior to Modern Ethics.

Modern Ethics is very poor in my opinion. It only deals with "how you deal with others". It doesn't deal with "care to self".
>>
>>948721

Its sadly not as common as think. My opinions on what is moral and immoral action what is virtue and vice what makes a good person was very vague untill I started reading classical philosophy.

I myself would have never equated wrongdoing with a lack of a faculty
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.