[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Unfinished or unbuilt buildings from history.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 12
ITT: Unfinished or unbuilt buildings from history.
>>
>tfw you will nerver visit the capital of germany : germania

i wish they had time/ressources to build the city.
>>
>>74747
Weren't they gonna bulldoze Berlin to do it? That sounds bad.

I mean, the Allies eventually did it for them, but still.
>>
File: 1446415417539.png (246 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1446415417539.png
246 KB, 640x480
>>73841
what is with nazi germany and USSR wanting to build the most ridiculous shit but never following through on it

someone post that fuckhuge temple monument the soviets wanted to build
>>
File: moscow_palace_of_soviets_3.jpg (482 KB, 1772x1374) Image search: [Google]
moscow_palace_of_soviets_3.jpg
482 KB, 1772x1374
Sovjet palace
>>
File: mockwa_9[1].jpg (55 KB, 600x383) Image search: [Google]
mockwa_9[1].jpg
55 KB, 600x383
Palace of the Soviets, equally stupid.
>>
>>73841
I heard that so many people could have fit in it condensation would have built up on the roof and caused it to rain.
>>
>>74825
holy fuck. that's big. like really really big.

why didn't they build it?
>>
>>74793
Nah, the image is some game concept art.

The plan mostly involved widening roads and building massive monuments and museums, not the concrete jungle in the anon's pic.
>>
>>74858
As it turns out steel is better spent elsewhere, but it took a german offensive for them to figure that one out.
>>
>>74893
so why didn't they just continue construction after the war
>>
File: swimming_poo_558.jpg (133 KB, 558x417) Image search: [Google]
swimming_poo_558.jpg
133 KB, 558x417
>>74858
They built the foundation, but WWII got in the way so they had to dismantle everything and use the materials for railroads, defenses, etc.

But hey, at least the foundation made a nice pool!
>>
File: uwd0pVp.jpg (324 KB, 948x1200) Image search: [Google]
uwd0pVp.jpg
324 KB, 948x1200
>>74825
I can't be the only one who thought of pic related when i saw this
>>
>>74925
so why not just resume construction after WW2
>>
>>74942
That's how revolutions tend to go, they end up just replacing the ruling class, giving a new set of people power and riches. Then they fall into the old patterns.
>>
File: germa.jpg (147 KB, 760x1000) Image search: [Google]
germa.jpg
147 KB, 760x1000
>>74793
>Weren't they gonna bulldoze Berlin to do it? That sounds bad

yes, the plan was to erase a large part of the old jew and bourgoies Berlin, to build instead the greatest city ever. Sound great to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welthauptstadt_Germania
>>
>>75026
>what is this a city for ants etc etc
>>
>>75072
>can't appreciated greatness

i'm sure you will be happier in a cow poop made home in africa
>>
>>75141
congrats on not understanding the reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ffj8SHrbk0

>naziboos
>>
File: Tatlin's_Tower_maket_1919_year.jpg (97 KB, 400x535) Image search: [Google]
Tatlin's_Tower_maket_1919_year.jpg
97 KB, 400x535
>>74957
There were still more pressing priorities after the fighting stopped. The USSR was in ruins.

Tatlin's Tower was another ambitious plan from around the time of the revolution. It was meant to be the Comintern headquarters. Inside the double helix were supposed to be structures that rotate at varying speeds (the main portion completing a rotation in a full year, the uppermost portion rotating once in a day).

Sort of like the palace, Tatlin's Tower was never built because nobody had the money, steel, manpower or gall to spare during or after the Russian Revolution.
>>
File: Schwimmbad_Moskwa.jpg (4 MB, 3696x2432) Image search: [Google]
Schwimmbad_Moskwa.jpg
4 MB, 3696x2432
>>74957

The Cold War.

And Khrushchev wanted to make a swimming pool instead.
>>
>>75163
kek never see the movie
>>
File: Metropolis-city03.jpg (57 KB, 500x387) Image search: [Google]
Metropolis-city03.jpg
57 KB, 500x387
Not really a concept, but more of an idea. The idea was that cities would keep growing wider and taller to a point that buildings would block out the sun and you'd never have to go outside for transit.

It's from the 1927 movie Metropolis. I always found these few seconds of cityview really fascinating.
>>
File: dgfold4.jpg (72 KB, 580x378) Image search: [Google]
dgfold4.jpg
72 KB, 580x378
Walt Disney's utopia-city would have been pretty nifty.
>>
>>75561
Where would it have even been built?
>>
>>75444
great movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlfvBgBDpm0
>>
>>75845
It was the original plan for Disneyworld Florida.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPCOT_%28concept%29
>>
>>75877
A shame. Then again Florida is full of marsh lands so I'd imagine it'd be problematic to maintain. Thanks.
>>
>>75169
Is that pool still there?
>>75444
God I love skyways. I wish they were more common.
>>
>>76311
>I wish they were more common.
>some drunk idiot goes off the side
>clean up on multiple levels
Aesthetically a super city always seems fantastic. But knowing people in general I can only foresee failures. Unless the upper areas were enclosed in strong enough material or framework to prevent accidents.
>>
>>75169
How can Communism even turn a swimming pool into something ugly and grotesque?
>>
>>76767
What? 10 metres is enough to kill yourself so that doesn't matter at all.
>>
>>76767
Enclosed skyways, anon.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.