[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you think there are so many Germans philosophers? Is there
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
Why do you think there are so many Germans philosophers? Is there something about Germany or Germans that make them such great thinkers? And why did this become so big in the 1800s and early 1900s? To name a few German philosophers we have
>Schopenhauer
>Nietzsche
>Hegel
>Ludwig Wittgenstein
>Marx
>Soren Kierkegaard
and those are just the more well known. I have nothing against it, I just want to know why philosophy was so big in Germany at the time?
>>
>>73725
>Wittgenstein
>Kierkegaard
>German
m8
>>
It certainly makes up for their lack of literature (before 1850).
>>
>>73757
Ok, Kierkegaard was Danish I didn't know. But Wittgenstein is Austrian and fuck Austria, I'm calling him German. (namely to spite a bad vacation I had in Austria)
>>
>>73790
I hope Franz Joseph I. rises from the grave and bites your dick off.
>>
>>73790
>Austria is Germany
How about I shank you, faggot?
>>
>>73849
How about you travel three years in the past and make my vacation not suck.
>>
File: 456997128.jpg (80 KB, 594x396) Image search: [Google]
456997128.jpg
80 KB, 594x396
>>73790

>fuck austria because I had a bad vacation

wew lad

>>73725

The Prussian education system was one of the best in the world in the 1850's, and was spread throughout Germany in the latter part of the 19th century. More educated people could lead to more philosophers. It was also one of the most populous nations in Europe - so it had the largest, best educated people in Europe, the centre of philosophy at the time.

Germany was also one of the first industrialised nations, and industrialised extremely quickly at that. This led to the rapid expansion of the German middle class, leaving their university-educated sons with a metaphysical interest to become philosophers.

I guess it's also worth saying that the 19th century was a time when many philosophers existed - however, in the second half of the 1800's, Germany became a cultural hegemon in Europe; people spoke German, German education was a gold standard on the continent, Germany was seen as the centre of science in Europe. German philosophers could have just got more attention than others.

So it was population, education, industrialisation, and reputation that made Germany produce so many philosophers

also
>no kant
>>
>>73869
Let me guess, when you were there you asked dumb questions like "Why isn't Austria part of German?" or "Do Austrians confuse themselves with Germans"?
>>
>>73725
>Why do you think there are so many French philosophers? Is there something about France or frenchs that make them such great thinkers?
>Why do you think there are so many Greek philosophers? Is there something about Grece or greeks that make them such great thinkers?
>>
>>73939
I never read Kent, I been trying to get around to it but I usually end up going to my already extensive collection of books on existentialism and nihilism, or simply not having time or money.
>>
>>73725

Because being German is pretty depressing I imagine all they do is discuss why they hate the eternal Anglo so much
>>
File: philosopher sunglasses.jpg (479 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
philosopher sunglasses.jpg
479 KB, 1440x900
>>74038
>Kent
OP you just keep fucking up
>>
>>73939
>I guess it's also worth saying that the 19th century was a time when many philosophers existed - however, in the second half of the 1800's, Germany became a cultural hegemon in Europe; people spoke German, German education was a gold standard on the continent, Germany was seen as the centre of science in Europe. German philosophers could have just got more attention than others.

Wasn't that england?
>>
>>74253
or france

'germany' didn't even exist until something like 1870
>>
>>73725
>No Kant
/his/ was a mistake.
>>
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 200x237) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 200x237
>>73725
>forgetting the greatest
>>
>>73725

Maybe it's because they stole all their shit from Eastern philosophies and religions.
>>
>>73725
German "philosophy" is damn near the worst thing to happen to Western civilization. Thanks a lot you fucking krauts.
>>
>>73725
It's those superior Arian genes
>>
>>76560
t. literally butthurt Frenchman
>>
Germany being a large group of citystates for most of it's history certainly helped. Competing states searching for an intellectual edge over each other. Same thing happened in Lombardy as well.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.