[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Post what history books you're currently reading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8
File: 9780140455502.jpg (1 MB, 1453x2244) Image search: [Google]
9780140455502.jpg
1 MB, 1453x2244
Brief History of Ancient Rome (Oxford)
The Annals by Tacitus
Revolutions and Revolutionary Movements, Fifth Edition
The Cultures of the West, Volume One: To 1750: A History (Oxford)

Out of these, I'd say I like Revolutions the best. It manages to be very concise and really opens up your views of both modern and even some ancient times. The others I don't care too much for, especially Cultures of the West. Ancient Rome is decent, but I think I'm going to get "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" by Edward Gibbon and "Rubicon: The Last Years of the Roman Republic" soon. Tacitus I haven't actually started, but I'll probably begin tomorrow once I've finished my current book (the Aeneid by Virgil).

Also, thoughts on pic related? Is it worth a read from a historian's perspective?
>>
File: 9780142001295.jpg (21 KB, 400x430) Image search: [Google]
9780142001295.jpg
21 KB, 400x430
>>7307
Regarding the Black Civil Rights Movement, it's by far the best book that I've found on the topic.
>>
>>7430
I've never found a single thing appealing about studying modern black history. How did you get into it?

I'll add this book to my log.
>>
File: 2014-06-15-71obsqEDYbL._SL1199_.jpg (153 KB, 776x1199) Image search: [Google]
2014-06-15-71obsqEDYbL._SL1199_.jpg
153 KB, 776x1199
Bretty interesting, has a chapter dedicated to explaining why Guns, Germs and Steel is bollocks.
>>
File: 1445518890768-3.png (418 KB, 844x548) Image search: [Google]
1445518890768-3.png
418 KB, 844x548
>>7577
>why nations fail
>the origins of property and prosperity and power
theres a shorter book about why that happens
>>
File: 532.jpg (4 KB, 249x203) Image search: [Google]
532.jpg
4 KB, 249x203
>>7502
I was just fascinated by it from an early age, likewise with foreign policy and American History in general (despite being British)

I just find British History boring, I focused on topics like the Cold War and The Troubles instead during my degree.
>>
>>7577
>Guns, Germs and Steel is bollocks
Well, IIRC Acemoglu's book is about welfare of the people and Diamond's work is about why certain regions have more powerful empires.

I'd say these two are different discussions. China is more powerful than New Zealand, but I'm sure almost everyone would prefer to live in NZ than in China
>>
Currently reading Salt from Penguin. I don't know if it'll be worth it though.
>>
File: aristotl.jpg (101 KB, 754x750) Image search: [Google]
aristotl.jpg
101 KB, 754x750
Susan L. Smith's "The Power of Women." Not at all as feminazi as it sounds, but about this recurring theme of women dominating men in Medieval art and literature. It ranges from romantic literature, sermons, tablewares (aquamanilia), church decor, etc. Focuses mostly on Aristotle being ridden like a horse by Alexander the Great's mistress. Pic related.
>>
I'm about to start The Tupac Amaru Rebellion about one of the last Inca emperors-in-exile.
>>
>>8051
It is more about how political institutions shapes the development of nations, in contrast to Diamonds theory of geographical determinism.
>>
File: livy.jpg (18 KB, 224x346) Image search: [Google]
livy.jpg
18 KB, 224x346
>>
>>7307
Currently reading A Hstory of Venice by Norwich. Good narrative history.

I've got too much of a backlog of things I need to read though.

The Making of Modern Japan by Marius B. Jansen
The Thirty Years' War: Europe's Tragedy by Peter Wilson
The Glorious Cause by Robert Middlekauff
Empire of Liberty by Gordon S. Wood
Embracing Defeat by John Dower

I've also got What Hath God Wrought but I put it down very early because it's full of self-flagellating white guilt bullshit. It's not even that I want some /pol/-esque "fuck niggers and injuns", it just seems like the history of the American 19th century and the American West is full of nothing but Noble Natives, Strong Blacks, Evil Whites shit.
>>
>>12773
Have you read the Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy by Buckhardt?
>>
File: Vichy_Paxton.jpg (24 KB, 329x499) Image search: [Google]
Vichy_Paxton.jpg
24 KB, 329x499
Pic related
H. W. Brand's biography on FDR
The White Armies of Russia by Goerge Stewart
The Spanish Civil War by High Thomas
Huey Long by T. Harry Williams
Cossack Warlords of the Trans-Siberian by Jamie Bisher

I'm still looking for some other books to get. Right now I'm trying to find anything good on the Austro-Hungarians during WW1.
>>
>>12825
Whats it like?
>>
-Stalin vol 1: Paradox of Power by Stephen Kotkin
-GULAG: A History by Anne applebaum
-A Better World - The Great Schism: Stalinism and the American Intellectuals by William L O'Neill
>>
>>7307
I have the reverse situation, American far more interested in British history than American.
Well-versed in the Troubles though.
Ditto for the cold war.
Check out Race Rebels (forget author) - its a great book on pre-civil rights era dissent and protest by working class black men
>>7622
checked and based af
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.