[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Man you know what, fuck Rome. Are there any stories from history
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 18
Man you know what, fuck Rome.

Are there any stories from history of the good guys winning against impossible odds and fighting for just reasons?
>>
File: we-the-people-graphic-3[1].jpg (987 KB, 2036x1130) Image search: [Google]
we-the-people-graphic-3[1].jpg
987 KB, 2036x1130
>>728826
>>
>>
>>728842
>Tax Evasion
>Just reason
Lemme guess, you think Henry David Thoreau is the coolest shit dont you?
>>
>>728851
No taxation without representation.
>>
File: Orangutan.jpg (63 KB, 600x423) Image search: [Google]
Orangutan.jpg
63 KB, 600x423
>>728851
>No representation
>Evasion
>>
>>728851
Representation. Kings have had been btfo for that before.
>>
>>728843
Because the KMT and the CCP have been so much better than Japanese rule, right?
>>
>>728826

nice b8 thread barbarian. Rome does not care what you think. Please go back to fucking dogs or whatever it is you do.
>>
>>728826
The Carthaginians were far from being the "good guys".
>>
>>728842
>good guys winning
Did you even read the OP?
>>
>>728826
>fucking with Republican Rome

There was no positive outcome.
>>
>>728861
The Japanese should've made like the British and pretended to be people to them.
>>
>>728863
Baal Qarnaim did nothing wrong.
>>
>>728871
Taiwanese seem to remember the era of Japanese rule quite differently from mainlanders after half a century of communist propagandising.

Funny that.
>>
>>728881
Couldn't possibly be that they're more interested in knocking "china" down a peg because they got btfo
>>
The Greeks against the Persians
>>
File: Enrico Dandolo.jpg (119 KB, 637x826) Image search: [Google]
Enrico Dandolo.jpg
119 KB, 637x826
>>728826
>good guys winning against impossible odds and fighting for just reasons?

1204 was the year the Latins massacred back.
>>
>>728889
You think Taiwanese are jealous of the mainlanders who were forced to eat the corpses of their own family members under Mao? Who are you kidding?

>fake of Nanking.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVVHtPUu5c0
>>
>>728863
They were hardly the aggressors in the third Punic War

>You are not allowed to defend yourself without our permission
>Give us your children
>Give us your weapons
>Move your entire civilization inland
>oh dear looks like you realised we plan on genocide :^)

fall of the Rome best day of history.
>>
>>728915
A just end to a nation of child-sacrificing savages.
>>
>>728915
>kill so many men that everyone in Rome lost a family member
>lead them into a long protracted war
>surprised when they hate you and want you to die

The ancient world was basically fueled by grudges.
>>
>>728912
This video is worth a youtube comment response.

>I don't see the point of this video, its simply pointing out that the photos are fake, does that deny the fact that people were slaughtered and raped? According to the Japanese retarded logic, yes it does! YEP, 300,000 just died in a horrible fashion some freaking how and guess what? It was exactly the time when Japan invaded China! Of course, the Japs just came into China and took the land, nothing else happened right? According to the retarded Japanese logic, again, YES! I'm getting brain damaged arguing against these brainless retards.
>>
>>728826
>>
>>728940
Yeah, let's just trust everything the Chinese Communist Party says without asking for any evidence.
>>
>>728930
>implying it wasn't about stealing the wealth of Carthage

Rome was able to demand anything of the civilization and had since the end of the Second Punic War allowed the Numidians total reign to steal whatever they wanted.

Remember that we don't have the Carthaginian side of this and already the Roman aggression was indefensible.
>>
>>728826
>Rome against the Etruscans
>Rome against the Latins
>Rome against Pyrrhus
>Rome against Cisalpine Gauls
>Rome against Carthage
>Rome against Rome

Rome was the underdog for more than half of the Republic.

>>728901
Hell to the fucking yeah.
>>
>>728969
So are you one of those people who don't read anything and then skims a wikipedia article and tries to sound like he knows what he is talking about? Our accounts from the time are actually considered quite accurate.

From the beginning, the total destruction of Rome or Carthage was the only possible outcome of these wars.
>>
File: Franco_cabrónazo.jpg (1014 KB, 1322x1797) Image search: [Google]
Franco_cabrónazo.jpg
1014 KB, 1322x1797
>>728826
>>
>>728866
Toryfag detected
>>
>>729016
>>728969
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
>>
>>728915
Humorously enough, one of the worst sacks of Rome during the 5th century was by Vandals based in Carthage.
I guess Hannibal sorta got his revenge after all, just 500 years late.
>>
Muhammad fought against degeneracy when everything was stacked against him and changed the world forever
>>
>>728826
Israel

/thread
>>
>>728969
>Roman government broke from extended conflict
>Italy still broken and burnt from a conflict Carthage started

Expecting the Romans to just let Carthage get rich while they were still struggling from the effects of the war they started is like expecting the Jews to donate to rebuild Germany in the 40s and 50s.

Unless you think that Rome was literally the worst thing ever because "muh western civilization is racist/evil/mainstream", then you have no hope.
>>
>>729112
I guess the failed reclamation of Carthage at the end of the western empire also bankrupted it enough to ruin it faster too. Well played Hannibal, leaving the region a compliant ally until Rome was distracted, and then fucking wrecking them. I can imagine Genseric high-fiving hannibal, looking down on the burning Roman Fleet.
>>
>>728969
Peaceful coexistence with two empires that hate eachother is achievable in the modern world, but when you're in the ancient world, with scarce resources and a letigamate danger that your entire culture could be annihilated, it's hard to tolerate the existence of such a threat, human nature is a bitch.
>>
File: 1456085272850.jpg (616 KB, 1790x1559) Image search: [Google]
1456085272850.jpg
616 KB, 1790x1559
>>728826

>
Are there any stories from history of the good guys winning against impossible odds and fighting for just reasons?

No.
>>
>>728855
>>728856
>>728857
>If I don't get to dictate the law, then I have a moral imperative to not follow it.
I wasn't around when the Ten Commandments were set in stone, why should I follow them?
I wasn't around when the Constitution was written, why should any of what it says mean anything? We didn't have representation when they wrote the Bill of Rights, what if I believe you don't have a right to xyz?

Liberals have always been the same. Classical liberalism, modern liberalism, neoliberalism, all of it is cancer. What's even worse cancer is how "conservatives" in America are just an older breed of liberal.
>>
>>728826
First off, fuck you Rome forever.

Secondly, the Siege of Vienna is a really excellent example of some LotR Battle of Pelennor fields type movie logic in history.

Mostly though the strongest, most cunning, and most prepared carried the day.
>>
>>728826
the knight's of malta fighting the turks... that's the only one that jumps to mind...
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_War
>>
>>728826

..Let us go out from this burning place into the open and stand up to our enemies. Who dies – he will be with God. Who dies not – his name will be honoured. I will go first, and what I do, you do. And God is my witness – I will never leave you, my brothers and knights!...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Szigetv%C3%A1r

this one reads like a book
>>
File: 1430085841374.jpg (29 KB, 370x370) Image search: [Google]
1430085841374.jpg
29 KB, 370x370
>>729878
based finland
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Siege_of_Malta

If you are a Christian, I think this qualifies.
>>
>>728969
>implying it wasn't about stealing the wealth of Carthage

It wasn't. Carthage offered to pay off ther indemnities faster, unasked.

Rome refused. When, in their role as an ally of Rome, they offered MORE than required of them in foodstuff for the army... Rome refused.

You fucks need to understand something:
In the ancient world, if a people had power, they expanded. Period. The Carthaginian economy was fucking BOOMING, and they had more than enough money to hire every damned mercenary in the western Mediterranean AND re-arm the libyans and a navy if they so wished.

NOBODY living at the time could conceive of a purely commercial power that chooses not to expand with military force. Why would you do that? Take more land, make more money.

This is ignoring that The Romans fucking hated everything about Carthage. Everything. Romans were a martial people with war being the tenet of their society. They were also farmers.

Cartaginians were jews who participated largely in "value added" commerce. They did not fight.

They despised them. They feared losing 90,000 men at sea in a single day again. They feared losing an entire generation dead in the field. They feared the fracturing of their conquests in italy again. They feared having to deal with all that, and THEN invade Africa-AGAIN. They lost upwards of 300,000 men in twenty years.

And they saw it as fucking inevitable that it would happen again. Soon. And odds are, it was. The Western Mediterranean world was not large enough to accommodate two major powers. The whole of it wasn't. Every single time two powers shared a border, either one gave up sovereignty, or they fought until one lost. Every time.
>>
>>728940

>Chickens he bought from a Chinese farmer.

He was probably saving up for a new Flat Screen, or all the other readily available consumer goods in China at that time.
>>
>>728912
>Mao had a famine

I want this meme to die
>>
>>729024
impossible odds
>has the support of pretty much the entire Spanish army, Morrocan troups and the German army, the most modern one in the world at that time
>Takes three years to stage a coup against an unpopular government prone to sectarianism with no standing army allied with a bunch of bumfuck workers and peasants armed with an inadequate number of hoarded 40 year old rifles
good guys
>ruins the greatest revolution of all time
>murders 100,000 innocent people
>destroys the Spanish economy for decades, Spain had already been well behind other european countries by the way
>does all this allied with literally Hitler
>>
File: 1454312083141.jpg (214 KB, 563x721) Image search: [Google]
1454312083141.jpg
214 KB, 563x721
>>
>>731979
Wrong, because the Republicans sold off all the gold to keep their effort going.

Leftist revolution is stupid, you'll be killed in the future for such idiotic ideas. Hitler was great, and communists are good for only animal feed.
>>
>>728925
Retarded shit they were nto sacrifed, it was only slander, those bones actually belonged msotly to unborn children.
>>
>>732789
>THERE WERE NO GAS CHAMBER, I SWEAR
>>
>>732809
There weren't, but Rome was right.
>>732789
Rome was the good guys, how do you not understand?
>>
>>732760
my man selling off the gold doesn't wreck an economy for like 30 years
>>
>>728826
I am not sure if you can call it just reason but the battle of silesia was won against impossible odds
>>
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 195x258) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 195x258
>>
>>732866
No, but it explains why it took three years. Not to mention Spain is relatively hilly and mountainous.

Spain was devastated by the war, suffers from a low population, an incompetent unproductive workforce. Francoist Spain actually accomplished a lot.
>>
>>729837
This post confuses me. I feel like "liberalism" is just a word that angers you in your mind, or else you would support the idea that humans should live in animistic tribal societies, the ultimate conservative position. And I doubt that you do.
>>
>>732912
they got a tiny bit of aid from the soviets, at that time the red army was a pile of dicks though
fascists always blame the terrain because they can't into strategy/logistics, and what did they accomplish?
>>
File: 1453719755265.jpg (108 KB, 680x578) Image search: [Google]
1453719755265.jpg
108 KB, 680x578
>>728862
>Rome on the rise
Fuck barbarians!
>fall of Rome
Fuck! Barbarians!
>>
>>732928
thousands of tanks, rifles, ammo, aircraft in addition to massive amounts of material support provided world wide. Also at that time the red army was at it's best, before hitting it's pre Second World war low.

>>732925
you don't know what liberalism means, the other guy does.
>>
>>732953
stalin's purge was in 1937
>>
>>732954
The spanish civil war started a year before that, and the purges went on for longer than a year actually. It took time for the purges to actually damage the military's capability. The previous officers built the red army to be a fearsome machine.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tours
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Balkan_War
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman%E2%80%93Habsburg_wars
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Revolt

Not sure if there really is 'good guys' in history per se. But I certainly sympathise with the notion of self-determination.
>>
The biggest story of good guys losing to the bad is the second world war.
>>
>>732969
>The spanish civil war started a year before that
the bumfuck untrained militia stage of the war
we know that the spanish civil war ended in 1939, the winter war also began in 1939 and it was a huge disaster for the ussr
even if the republic got much more support from the ussr they'd still have no chance because of sectarianism and the minor issue of not having a fucking army for like a year
>>
>>732982
You're comparing apples to oranges, what does war material have to do with a poor showing that resulted from hard territory and unfortunate geography.

In fact the Finns holding the soviets off because of their winter and their woods is a good example why peasants and the communists could hold off the Nationalists by simply fortifying hill tops and using their superior numbers to numb the quality advantage of the nationalists. Civil wars are almost always long and usually start slow, look at Syria.
>>
>>732987
but not being prepared for that is actually a strategic and logistical failure, you do realise that?
you can't blame the weather when it's magically working great for the other guys
>>
>>732990
Attacking is a different task than defending, especially when your army has an officer shortage, and many officers are in SPAIN INSTRUCTING THE COMMUNIST FORCES.

And soviet aid arrived in the first year, check your facts pleb

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Sese%C3%B1a
>>
>>732996
never said soviet aid didn't arrive in 1936, i just said it was shit aid
tell me how about how well the instruction went when militias were literally scared of being bombed by melons and had never seen machine guns before
>>
File: 322.jpg (57 KB, 680x1024) Image search: [Google]
322.jpg
57 KB, 680x1024
>>732943
heh post sottovalutato
>>
>>729508
>
>>
Carthaginians literally sacrificed babies to their gods by throwing them into a pit of fire. They unearthed a pit some time ago full of little baby bones. Look it up
>>
>>733051
>>729508
Are you kidding? Israel is a piece of shit country and I hope the Iranians nuke it in a few years.
>>
>>733052
And they had riches flowing out their arseholes because of it.
>>
>>728940
The video is completely logical.
>We took China's evidence and found out it was fabricated. We ask China to present actual evidence so that we can continue the research about what happened.

If you have any qualms about that statement, you're dogmatically believing in the massacre.
>>
File: Zulu1.jpg (88 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Zulu1.jpg
88 KB, 1280x720
>>728826
rorkes drift
>>
Five Days of Milan
>>
>>728912
Taiwanese are actually doing everything to sever links between them and China.
>Claim that Japanese rule was swell.
>Uphold aboriginal culture over their own Chinese heritage.
>Even import more Filipino workers to offset Mainland Chinese immigrants

I always scoff at any notion that "Taiwan is the real China." They shit on all those nationalist cunts who died in the civil war.
>>
>>733797
Fugg might have to watch again
>>
>>729901
damn, that is cool
>>
>>728826
Alfred The Great's expulsion of the Vikings from England.

He was a sickly man and his fight began against long odds, but through personal charisma and bravery won the rulership of all England and expelled the Norsemen.
>>
>>728826
Search for Admiral Yi and the Japanese Invasion of Korea.

Or Oda Nobunaga and the Sengoku Jidai.
>>
"A city for sale and doomed to quick destruction, if it should find a buyer,"

- Jughurta
>>
>>729798
That top lest corner image... please link it to me.
pls respond.
pls.
>>
>>735289
Scotland whould have beat him
>>
>>735661
top left image
pls respond someone.
I have a family.
pls
>>
>>728842
>american revolution
>fighting 40k brits with 2k hessians
>impossible odds for the million american fighters supported by 200-250k french soldiers
Murican education everyone!
>>
>>735671
It's L Ron Hubbards fever dream
>>
>>728826
also the guldensporenslag (battle of the golden spurs) in flanders in 1302
>>
>>735685
i owe you my life, sir
>>
>>735699
No you own you life to l Ron Hubbard
>>
>>735712
praise be to xenu
>>
>>732980
/pol/ pls go
>>
File: TEXAS.jpg (49 KB, 1000x955) Image search: [Google]
TEXAS.jpg
49 KB, 1000x955
>>728826
Here's one
>>
File: fritz needs a hand.jpg (76 KB, 500x603) Image search: [Google]
fritz needs a hand.jpg
76 KB, 500x603
>>732980
Start shit, get hit Jerry.
>>
>>735385
>Oda Nobunaga
But he died. I mean, he "won", but he died.

And I don't even know if I'd call him, Hideyoshi or Ieyasu the "good guys". They are just interesting as fuck.
>>
>>735680
The amount of fighters was fairly even on both sides
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.