[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's talk Greek mythology, modern pop culture uses assets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
Let's talk Greek mythology, modern pop culture uses assets of it freely and most of the time, inaccurately. What are your favorite Greek myths? What good life lessons can one learn from them?
>>
Honestly, I've always like the Odyssey the most. Read a bastardised kids version when I was younger (called him Ulysses but still used the other Greek names) and it always stuck with me.

I guess lessons from it could be hubris considering Odysseus fucked him and his crew over all to get some kleos.
>>
>Hercules (the film of Disney)
>Troy

Absolutely disgusting.

I like a lot of story but didn't not really learned stuff.

In the reality your tv is not fucking zeus trying to fuck your mom.
>>
Oh fuck I finally can do this.

Which Muse is your favorite? Thaleiafags need not apply
>>
>>8639
I always preferred the Iliad, and that was also where I learned that war has no real good guys or bad guys and sometimes the wrong side wins.
>>
>>9440
I'll admit, I don't remember too much of the Illiad other than Achilles going apeshit and Odysseus and some other guy stealing some goats?
>>
I like Antigone. The State loyalty vs Family loyalty debate is still interesting and relevant today.
>>
>>7283
Has anybody read Latro of the Mist? It's 11/10 story with very heavy use of Greek mythology.

Pallas Athene is best girl but why was she so harsh on Arachne?
>>
>>9601
Mind giving a brief idea what it's about? I'm looking for reading material.
>>
>>9677
A Roman mercenary wakes up after the Battle Marathon in the main Persian camp with a head wound. He has amnesia and so is told to write down everything that happens to him for later reference.

The book is his notes as he wrote them arranged in novel form, it's left open whether or not he's honest with what he's writing and how solid his grip on reality is.

It's written by Gene Wolfe and a big trend in his work is trying to capture how limited and uncertain our perception of the world is. To get a feel for his work with something shorter you might be interested in The Fifth Head of Cerberus, a shorter science-fiction novel and one of my favourites. It's very unique in that it's a post-colonial story with a particularly Australian slant to it of all things.
>>
10000 get
>>
>>9967
Shit that sounds interesting, might have to pick it up.
>>
>>10233
Gene Wolfe isn't one of /lit/'s favourite meme authors for nothing. Fellow science-fiction writer Ursula Le Guin called him "our Melville."
>>
>>9533
No shame in not remembering it but the Iliad is still one of my favorite books. The part where the gods physically join the battle is the one thing I want Hollywood to do a faithful adaptation of one day.

Journey to the West also wasn't bad but adaptions of that have been done to death.
>>
>>10452
The closest I've gotten was that 1997 awful Odyssey movie. I reckon the Odyssey could work as a miniseries. Maybe on Netflix or some other streaming site.
>>
>>9597
Mah niggah, Antigone is one of my favorites as well.
>>
>>8801
>Hercules (the film of Disney)

Despite all of its inaccuracies and borderline hilarious Disneyfication, I must admit that it is still one of my favorite Disney films.
>>
>>10564
I actually thought about writing a draft for a television series of the whole Trojan War cycle from the Judgement of Paris all the way to the end of the Odyssey and the Aeneid.

Then I remembered I'm a poor wageslave and this project would not be economically viable to any major producer. It's fun to dream though.
>>
>>10712
'Man Oedipus was great! And I thought I had problems!'

Still can't believe that was in the film.
>>
>>10673
Who'd you side with? Creon or Antigone?
>>
>>11059
That's the thing, I'm torn so hard on it. I really do believe that natural laws and rites need to be observed, but at the same the laws that men set for themselves are one of the few things that preserve a functioning society (granted Creon did abuse the power entrusted to him). They both had their reasons and neither of them were wrong but I just don't know who I side with more
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.