[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Book Recomendation Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 10
File: pinochet.png (251 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
pinochet.png
251 KB, 620x372
Subject says it all.

Ask for reading recommendations. Recommend other anons books. General history book discussion.

I'm very much interested in US foreign policy and looking to get into its relations with Chile during the Allende and Pinochet regimes. I don't have any background with Chilean history so some of the "classics" on this topic would be appreciated.

pic very much related.
>>
>>727521
>Two books about Allende’s election to power in Chile during the Cold War—Harmer 2011 and Qureshi 2009—add significantly to the understanding of US opposition and response to an Allende-led Chile.

Harmer, Tanya. Allende’s Chile and the Inter-American Cold War. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2011.
>While Castro applauded Allende’s election as Chile’s president, Nixon pledged to bring him down. A three-year battle resulted in a military coup and a twenty-year dictatorship. Harmer argues that the Chilean battle helped dictate the future of Latin America and that, rather than the US–Soviet conflict, the US–Latin American conflict shaped it.
http://bookzz.org/book/1164556/dd2211

Qureshi, Lubna Z. Nixon, Kissenger, and Allende: U.S. Involvement in the 1973 Coup in Chile. Lanham, MD: Lexington, 2009.
>Qureshi argues that Nixon and Kissinger were more concerned about the threat to US hegemony posed by the election of Allende than about its threat to the physical security of the United States. They feared that Allende-like candidates would subsequently be elected in other Latin American countries, which would undermine the US hegemony.
http://bookzz.org/book/1085272/18749c
>>
I'd be interested if anyone could recomend books about Imperial Russia, Cossacks, WW1 and warfare in general during 18-19th century
>>
>>728662
The Cossacks - Leo Tolstoy
>>
>>727581
Thanks mate, precisely what i was looking for
>>
>>727521
Any good books on the life of Zoroaster/Zarathustra?
>>
File: liberty-the-enlightenment.jpg (107 KB, 490x384) Image search: [Google]
liberty-the-enlightenment.jpg
107 KB, 490x384
This is a two parter.
Firstly Im looking for a general and basic book regarding the French Revolution that covers it up to the Napoloinc Period

Secondly and of more concern to me is a book discussing the enlightenment and its impacts on philosophy and culture.

The trouble Ive had with this topic is that its very polar with it being either seen as greatest point in history to something akin to the second fall of mankind. In both cases it seems like each of the parties are dogmatically hostile and uniformed about the others arguments.
>>
>>727521
The Pinochet File by Peter Kornbluh. It's about the declassified archives thanks to the Freedom of Information act, it shows with great detail the CIA operations from the US Embassy and all it's agents in Chile, including press for propaganda purposes. I had a spanish translation (EEUU y el derrocamiento de Allende) which had the actual files printed with blacked parts in it blocking some sentences for secrecy purposes as source, it was really neat. Probably the engñish versión has it aswell.

If you get the latest edition it includes the efforts of Kissinger to boicot the book and try to prevent it's release. This obviosly is from present time and not the 70's but it's fun in the way he actually thought censorship was a good idea
>>
>>730021
Jeremy Popkin- A Short History of the French Revolution
covers what you want in less than 150 pages

If you're interested in Napoleon check out this annotated bibliography on him:
http://pastebin.com/rqnADNEp

for books from an international geopolitical perspective:

Black, Jeremy. European International Relations, 1648–1815. New York: Palgrave, 2002.
>Black’s approach is deliberately pragmatic and historic. Black is rather suspicious of theories of international relations (notably Schroeder’s) and seeks to reevaluate the importance of the events and of contingencies in the evolution of international structures during the French Revolution.

Schroeder, Paul W. The Transformation of European Politics, 1763–1848. Oxford: Clarendon, 1994.
>Paul Schroeder’s synthesis was written during the period after the fall of the Berlin Wall. It presents the revolutionary period in a long-term perspective from the end of the Seven Years’ War to the revolutions of 1848. This allows him to consider international transformations in a more structural approach compared to the old diplomatic history.
http://bookzz.org/book/976305/d5eb40

For the enlightenment, read the first fifty pages of:
Robertson, John. The Case for Enlightenment: Scotland and Naples, 1680–1760. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2007.
>The introduction is a superb treatment of approaches to the Enlightenment and to the question of whether the Enlightenment as a term or concept has any meaning.
:for a solid introduction into enlightenment historiography and the issues that surround its study. I have yet to read the rest of the book. It seems interesting but may be too particular for your tastes.

Peter Gay's two volumes on the enlightenment are the standard works on the subject. They're several decades old but it is far from obsolete as most historians have shied away from a general work of the enlightenment ever since (see Robertson's introduction)
>>
>>730131

"Enlightenment in the National Context" is also a landmark work and should make for interesting reading. It's working from a particular conception of the enlightenment though.
http://bookzz.org/book/903690/054df3
>>
Is this good for Napoleon? Seems to have very good reviews.
>>
>>730131
Thank you for your help I genuinley appreciate it , what would the best anti enlightenment works?

And do you know of any good works on the Jacobins?
>>
Anything on the Northern Yuan please.
>>
>>730166
>anti enlightenment works

This article on the "Challenge of Fascism"

http://pastebin.com/y0N0Ximk
you'll find tons of books that go into the ideological origins of fascism, some going as far back as the enlightenement or french revolution. I recommend the section on political religion. Here are some books I've picked out for you:

Sternhell, Zeev. The Anti-Enlightenment Tradition. Translated by David Maisel. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 2010.
>Revised and expanded version of Les Anti-lumières (Paris: Fayard, 2006). Casting the net more widely than in Sternhell, et al. 1994, identifies a tradition of anti-Enlightenment thought going back to Herder and Burke, encompassing not only those such as Maurras and Sorel featured in earlier works, but also implicating more recent figures such as Friedrich Meinecke and Isaiah Berlin. In Sternhell’s view, not only did this tradition prepare the way for fascism, but also it continues to have a profoundly negative effect.

Wolin, Richard. The Seduction of Unreason: The Intellectual Romance with Fascism from Nietzsche to Postmodernism. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2004.
>Critical of intellectuals who question the Enlightenment tradition, with its particular understanding of reason, individuality, and universality. Though widely admired, to critics has seemed too Manichean, so that too much becomes tantamount to “fascism.” A particular target is the theorist of philosophical hermeneutics Hans-Georg Gadamer. Though raises fair questions about Gadamer’s political judgment, seems too quick to indulge in moralistic put-down and to misrepresent Gadamer’s understanding of “tradition.”
>>
>>727521
For those of you who enjoy Medieval history, I recommend two books.

Edward the III: The Perfect King
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IOV9XBE?ie=UTF8&redirectFromSS=1&pc_redir=T1&noEncodingTag=1&fp=1

War Cruel and Sharp
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1843839296/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=&sr=

They give a good view at the chivalric goals of Edward at home and contrast it with (literally) biblical way of waging war.

At the moment, I just finished reading "The Zollverein" by W.O. Henderson. It gives a good lesson on the power of trade as a unifying force and the necessity of good government. By good government, I mean lack of corruption and malinvestment, which I believe most people on this board would agree with.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Zollverein-W-O-Henderson/dp/B0000CKPBI
>>
>>730219
Golomb, Jacob, and Robert S. Wistrich, eds. Nietzsche, Godfather of Fascism? On the Uses and Abuses of a Philosophy. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2002.
>A collection of new and quite disparate essays. Most treat some aspect of Nietzsche’s influence on Nazism or the Nazi use of Nietzsche, but there is one essay on Nietzsche’s influence on Mussolini and Italian fascism.

Aschheim, Steven E. The Nietzsche Legacy in Germany, 1890–1990. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1992.
>The centerpiece is the chapter on the Nazi appropriation of Nietzsche, showing how central Nietzsche’s thinking was to the Nazi determination to push beyond conventional notions of good and evil. More generally, the Nietzschean premium placed on “hardness” fed the Nazi sense of going beyond the decadent democracies.

I don't have anything on the Jacobins unfortunately
>>
>>730245
What are your views on the religious posters who hold the enlightenment negatively as it saw (what they believed) an irrational and dogmatic abandonment of scholasticism
>>
Does anyone know of any good books on tamerlane?
>>
File: dougflag.jpg (14 KB, 500x291) Image search: [Google]
dougflag.jpg
14 KB, 500x291
Anyone have any books detailing on any of these subjects?

-Establishing new monarchies (especially in the modern day)
-Statecraft
-Guerrilla warfare and survival without modern conveniences (I enjoy a lot of the older Greek ingenuity's)
-Balkanization
-Historical economics relating to the modern day
-Creating a large following (kind of like that movie the wave but maybe some more historical examples)
-Destruction and rebuilding of infrastructure

I'm basically researching into what it would take in the modern day secession from the United States or any other large powerful nation and establishing a kingship/principality from nothing, including balkanization of North America and how that nation would be successfully run.
>>
>>730396
>Guerrilla warfare and survival without modern conveniences (I enjoy a lot of the older Greek ingenuity's)

Read

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Resistance_%28book%29
>>
>>730439
I have read that one haha, Swiss are great at defense. Appreciate the recommendation.
>>
I want to learn as much as I can about Iran, from the Medes to the liberal generation coming forth.
What are some must-reads?
>>
>>730457
Did it contain the kind of information you were looking for?
>>
>>728662
Probably not what you're looking for, but Peter the Great by Robert K. Massie is a detailed account of his reign and the beginning of Russia as a great power.
>>
>>728662
Might be a bit of a stretch, but Peter Hopkirk's the Great Game looks at Russian and British rivalry in Central Asia during the 19th century. It shows a lot of Russian campaigns and missions to take over Central Asian city-states, but also shows quite a bit of British stuff as well.
>>
>>730313
>irrational and dogmatic abandonment of scholasticism
I don't frequent those threads, nor have I read in depth on the subject to answer your question well I think. As far as I know though, the " irrational and dogmatic abandonment of scholasticism" was a product of renaissance humanist thinking, not the enlightenment. As a matter of fact, Robertson argues that the Enlightenment thinkers were not necessarily anti-religious as they were made out to be but were in fact anti-clerical. Secondly, he asserts that Enlightenment thinking arose from a combination of a renewed interest in epicureanism combined with a rigorous Augustinian scholasticism which was turned toward the potential betterment of the human condition and the study of human society/nature.
>>
>>730596
forgot to add a free download of Roberts' book earlier:
http://bookzz.org/book/1000994/0cd1c2
>>
Any good books on:

-Spanish anarchists, particularly actual conflict/ violence/ war?

-Russian revolution (I guess ideological civil war in the early 20th century is my "thing" to read about right now)

-Maybe something covering American founding fathers who contributed to America's political tradition? I just picked up "Alexander Hamilton" by Chernow, but I also would love to read something discussing Jefferson/ Paine (the only two I know of them are C.Hitchens' pieces, which I have no idea if they are worth anything).

If you can point me in the right direciton, that'd be great, thank you
>>
Alexander: The Ambiguity of Greatness, tells both sides of what historians say, either hes a god or hes a maniac and lets you decide for yourself, he also cites all of his sources was a fun read
>>
>>730489
Yes it contained very relevant information.
>>
Also does anyone know any books to virtues and how important they are to civilization?
>>
File: 1453068253646.jpg (76 KB, 378x567) Image search: [Google]
1453068253646.jpg
76 KB, 378x567
>>727521
>>
File: 1455787951777.jpg (113 KB, 500x745) Image search: [Google]
1455787951777.jpg
113 KB, 500x745
Bump
>>
>>730663
The Russian Revolution by Sheila Fitzpatrick is often cited as a great concise overview of the revolutionary period

I'm looking for good texts on the wars of the cold war and the ideological battles between the USSR and the US
>>
Any good books on the idea of America and how America forged its cultural identity
>>
>>730890
Also ring books on American pop culture 1945-2000
>>
>>730851
John Lewis-Gaddis is number 1 cold war guy, any of his books should do you.
>>
File: 1437056264398.jpg (54 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1437056264398.jpg
54 KB, 1280x720
>>730915
Thanks
>>
Any good introductory philosophy books people could recommend?
>>
>>730890
>the idea of America
Democracy in America by de Tocqueville

>forging cultural identity
Inheriting the Revolution by Appleby
>>
>>731119
Greece, all of it. From there expand to the modern shit and maybe eastern stuff if you are wanting to get a different perspective. The Hellenistic stuff is GOAT.
>>
Any good books on the Greco-Turkish war and the impact it had on the founding of modern Turkey?
>>
>>730601
You have been extreemly helpful
>>
Looking for books on World War 2 from the Japanese perspective vs. the Americans. Just bought " The Battle for Okinawa" by Hiromichi Yahara, looking to expand my collection on the subject, would greatly appreciate more recommendations
>>
>>730678
read the clash of civilizations by samuel huntington, he talks a bit about the necessity for a national myth.
>>730460
Shadows in the Desert: Ancient Persia at War, by Kaveh Farrokh
Iran at War: 1500-1988, by Kaveh Farrokh
Ancient Persia: A Concise History of the Achaemenid Empire, 550-330 BCE, by Matt Waters
Empire, Authority, and Autonomy in Achaemenid Anatolia, by Elspeth R. M. Dusinberre
Sasanian Persia: The Rise and Fall of an Empire, by Touraj Daryaee
>>
>>730160
yeah its supposed to be a classic on the subject

>>730663
use bookzz.org or libgen to look up works for free

annotated bibliography on the spanish civil war may help you out:
http://pastebin.com/WGqYYVGS

>Russian revolution
http://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199791279/obo-9780199791279-0051.xml?rskey=i4DiPQ&result=1&q=russian+civil+war#firstMatch

>covering American founding fathers who contributed to America's political tradition
Empire of Liberty by Gordon Wood
http://bookzz.org/book/955036/284a1b

>>731416
np I just chanced upon this book which seems relevant to the question you asked before:
Young, B. W. Religion and Enlightenment in Eighteenth-Century England: Theological Debate from Locke to Burke. Oxford: Clarendon, 1998.
>Young exemplifies a trend to place religion at the center of philosophy rather than at its periphery
>>
Opinions on Marshall McLuhan
>>
Looking for Audiobooks. Anything easily pirated but some areas I am interested in but lacking good audiobooks on are:
Post Charlemagne Europe
Ottoman Empire
Anything Pre communist China
Franco Prussian War
100 Years War
Early Islam (Pre Crusades)
The Tzars
1500s Europe

Remember audiobooks. Really any good audiobook you've heard.
>>
I'm looking for books dealing with Asia, particularly Japan before, during or after either WWI or WWII.
I'm most interested in daily life and the change in cultural structures. I also prefer accurate novels over properly scientific works.
>>
Any good book about ancient greece?
>>
>>727521
my diary, desu
>>
>>730665
>he also cites all his sources

Do any serious (modern) history readings fail to do this? Gross.
>>
>>734607
sources:
the internet
www.wikipedia.org
www.google.com
>>
I need books in world war 1 and world war 2 and how they were different or not different

For university
>>
Any books telling the franco-prussian war from a soldier's perspective?
>>
Looking for books on early civilizations:

- Babylonian/Assryian/Semitic
- Nile River Valley
- Indus River Valley
- China

I teach middle school US history and we are changing curriculum. Interested in anything of quality before I have to deal with the world civ textbook they are about to throw at me.
>>
I'm finishing an Ancient Rome kick and figured the Middle Ages and the Byzantines would be the best next step. While I love both ancient history and "modern" history from the 1700s on, everything in between is a bit of a blur to me. What should I read?
>>
>>730021
The French Revolution: A Concise History by Sylvia Neely
>>
File: 1452457004471.jpg (11 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1452457004471.jpg
11 KB, 300x300
I read The Prince some time ago.

I remember that Machiavelli made some remarks that he explained how republics work in other works.

So, are the Discourses on Livy any good?

Do they have the same "style" with historical examples from Ancient Rome to the 16th century like The Prince?

Is there anything else worth reading by good ol' Niccolo?
>>
>>736421
discourses is full of historical examples ive heard. Its also supposed to be the better, and the more fleshed out, work of machiavelli
>>
As an Asian I know jackshit about western history but I would like to understand more about the history of Europe from 4th BC to 19th Century, any recommendations?
>>
Books about the industrial revolution. I've read some Eric Hobsbawm, but that's it.
>>
>>736583
Jesus anon. That's 2300 years of history.
>>
for the life of me, I can't remember the title and have been googling all night with no luck. I'm looking for a book about the "de-Hitlerization" of Germany after WWII. It came out within the last 5 years.
>>
>>736625
Three or so books would be fine, don't need to be very detailed
>>
Any good reads on the fall of Yugoslavia and following Yugoslav wars?
>>
What are some of the best starting point books for studying world war one?

For someone who has a general knowledge of the war, but wishes to start going into very deep detail about it?
>>
>>730663
Anarchist publishers like AK Press and Christie Books usually have a ton of shit on Spanish anarchism
>>
>>736890
>>736890
1914-1918 The History of the First World War by David Stevenson will probably be an excellent start, especially if you already have a general idea of what's going on
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (1 MB, 1850x399) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
1 MB, 1850x399
The Masters of Rome series by Colleen McCullough are probably my favourite books ever

>>733070
The Song of Troy is one of my favorites, also by Colleen McCullough
>>
>>737625
Maybe i should just read iliad?
>>
>>733070
>>738781
anything about ancient greece in particular
>>
>>736655
You'll only need one. If you have absolutely no knowledge of western history, pick up a college level western history textbook. Just about any one will do. Start from there.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.