[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think about Attila the Hun?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3
File: serveimage.jpg (255 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
255 KB, 1200x1200
What do you think about Attila the Hun?
>>
>>717776

I try not to think about Honorary Mexicans.
>>
>>717776
He Dindu Nuffin
>>
>>717776
I take a few seconds to remember he's not Ghengis Khan.
>>
>>717795
>gets turned back by the Pope, goes home and dies without conquering Rome
>empire completely disintegrates right after his death, and the successor states have nothing to do with the Huns
I'd hope you don't confuse the two.
>>
This song is pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh8_KZwfC_g
>>
>>717801
I wonder what the Pope told him
>>
>>717948
wololololololo
>>
>>717948

Probably something about the pestilence outbreak Rome was having at the time.
>>
>>717948
I'd love a movie that built up to that moment and had pope (it was Leo I, right?) look knowingly at the screen before meeting Attila before credits.

>>717776
He majorly helped along the cause of the downfall of the western roman empire, but he was also a cool guy who didn't afraid of anything.

I feel mixed on the topic.
>>
>>717776
The Scourge of God is probably the best nickname of any ruler in history.
>>
>>717948
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAUY1J8KizU
>>
>>717964
I hope all the titled kings and queens are in some sort of afterlife where they can endlessly bicker at each other and Attila silences the room when he deigns to speak.
>>
>>717948
I like to imagine it was some great empassioned speech about how the lions of christendom will rise up and strike him down. Or God will kill him like he did Aluric.

It was probably Leo explaining that everything here was already fucked, and if you really want it then you can have fun dealing with the plague and all this shit.
>>
>>717964
>The Scourge of God
Does that mean that he was the scourge god used to punish the world or that he was a scourge used to punish god?
>>
>>718061
The former.
>>
>>717948
>Hunnic fire can't melt marble columms
>>
>>717793
Da fuck?
>>
>>717964
I think The Blazing Star for Alexander is pretty good
>>
>>717776
Most badass title I can think of.
>>
Attila didn't do much wrong, he was a man of peace moreso than any Roman.
>>
>>719809
>>719809
ATILLA DINDU NUFFINS

I love the guy, he was a master mind and he shook the world with his armies, but he was most definitely no saint. He did some horrendous shit to a lot of people, more brutal than Genghis Khan, but nowhere near the amount of impact on the population Genghis had with his armies who ended up butchering almost 40 million people and quite literally exterminating civilizations and ethnicities. The "join or get fucked to pieces" technique certainly seems to work out.
>>
>>719877

>He did some horrendous shit to a lot of people

History was written down by the Romans. For all we know, Romans were worse than Nazis.
>>
>>719897
well, roman historians weren't really that biased, the roman historian at Attila's court described him as a fairly ok guy.
>>
>>719920
>the roman historian at Attila's
Why haven't I heard of this guy. What's his name and did he write a book?
>>
>>719897
Well they didn't attempt to whitewash Their genocide of Semites(Jews and Carthagians)
Likely because genocide wasn't seen as bad back then
>>
>>719926
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priscus
>>
>>717776
More importantly, WHERE did he come from
>>
>>719941
hell
>>
File: MorThanFeastofAttila.jpg (603 KB, 999x680) Image search: [Google]
MorThanFeastofAttila.jpg
603 KB, 999x680
>That fuccboi almost in his lap
>>
>>719941
Xiongnu
>>
>>720037
t. mehmet
>>
>>719941
The only Hunnish words we have are names, IIRC, and they match up pretty well with Turkic/Mongolic names and titles. So I would say they came from the Eastern Steppe region. Maybe there is something to the Xiongnu theory
>>
>>720087
Ironically tho, the name "Attila" might be Germanic.
>>
>>719931
To be fair, genocide wasn't so taboo back then. Tribalism and all that.
>>
>>718845
mild kek
>>
Were the Huns really Magyars?
>>
>>717950
made, me kek. ty, i'm done procrastinating now, back to studying
>>
>>723647
oops, wrote that sentence like a retard. in my defence, i am typing over my cat
>>
A great and based man who did nothing wrong.
>>
was he white or asian? I'm serious.
>>
>>723659
Probably something inbetween. There are hundreds of ethnicities in this world
>>
Only held back by his own death.
I'm almost certain he would have made his way into Europe's forests because he used neighbor vs neighbor effectively.
>>
>>723520
Probably not
>>
>>720087
>The only Hunnish words we have are names, IIRC, and they match up pretty well with Turkic/Mongolic names and titles.
We know three common words - strava (mourning), medos (mead) and kamos (a barley drink). Interestingly, they line up with satem Indo-European languages, such as Iranic or Slavic languages.

>>720095
>Ironically tho, the name "Attila" might be Germanic.
IIRC the "-la" suffix is supposed to be Germanic. The "Att-" part lines up with Turkic "father", cf. Ataturk.

>>723659
Priscus gives an eyewitness account of his appearance that strongly suggests Asian features. But his mother was supposedly a Goth. In general, steppe nomad confederations were far from ethnically monolithic, as they united various different tribes.
>>
>>719920
Well Attila was a psychopath even by Roman standards and probably would have chopped Priscus' dick off if he said anything bad about him.
>>
File: miffedturkishman.jpg (487 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
miffedturkishman.jpg
487 KB, 1920x1080
Heard you faggots talking shit like i wouldn't hear?
>>
>>724236
Interesting. Obviously most of the subject peoples of the Huns would have been Germanics, Iranics or Slavs, so maybe the informant who gave these words wasn't an ethnic "Hun".

The evidence for "Atta" being Turkic or Indo-European seems inconclusive, since it is found in Gothic, Latin and Greek with the meaning "father". So Attila would be "little father".
>>
>>724249
>Rome total war barbarian invasion
IDK About Huns lol, lets make them stereotype barbarian people. But with fu manchus.
>Rome II Total War
Let's make them Mongols :DDDDD even if the Xiongnu-Hun theory is still far from conclusive.
>>
>>724329
huns aint in Rome II senpai.
>>
>>724333
I keep on forgetting Attila is not an xpansion.
>>
>>723659
IIRC He most likely looked like somebody from Kazakhstan or somewhere in that area.
>>
>>724329
It's not like they can make them a fucking blank question mark people.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.