[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ethiopian Orthodox
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9
Why are there so many Catholics in Africa when they could easily just follow Ethiopian orthodox instead of being under the fist of Rome.
>>
Following Rome is a lot easier
>>
How the hell did Ethiopia not become a Muslim country like literally every other country around them?
>>
>>716526
Balls of steel.
>>
Well, let's see, there are 135 million Catholics in Africa, 40 million Ethiopian Orthodox, and I'm going to wager that the Protestants plus the Orthodox outweigh the Catholics

>>716526
They were not conquered, were they? Plus, Ethiopia was Jewish before it was Christian, so you're talking a very strong foundation here.
>>
>>716546
Why were they Jews? Did they get converted or were they a Jewish tribe themselves?
>>
>>716503
That pic is kinda cute 2bh.
>>716526
Hard to conquer.
>>
we wuz kristianz n shit famm
>>
File: 7.jpg (281 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
281 KB, 800x534
>>716579
The pic is Ethiopia style of iconography
>>
>>716503
>the fist of Rome

Why wouldn't they love an orginization that spends billions of dollars a year on schools and hospitals in Africa?
>>
>>716579
>Hard to conquer.

>>716546
>They were not conquered, were they?

I don't think this is a good answer to his question, we need to remember that religion is not always spread by the sword. West Africans were converted to islam peacefully like Ethiopians were converted to Catholicism peacefully.
>>
>>716631
Well, wasn't the Baqt with the Egyptian rulers signed because the Arabs were defeated, and didn't think conquering the christian eastern african kingdoms would be too hard?

I mean, Ethiopia pretty much existed until the eve of WWII.
>>
>>716631
Christianity wasn't spread by conquest until the Germans started doing that in the West, but Islam mostly was spread by the sword from the start.
>>
>>716640
apart from the vast majority of places where it wasn't
>>
>>716838
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Muslim_conquests
>>
>>716851
Some people call it the Arab conquest because Arab culture was forced into non-Arabians and they were treated as second class citizens.
>>
>>716900
Islam is almost as synonymous with the Arabic identity as Judaism is with the Jewish identity. The Arabs even rewrote the OT to say Ishmael, the father of the Arabs (instead of Isaac, the Father of Israel) was the one whom God told Abraham to sacrifice before relenting--the *true* Chosen People are the Arabs.
>>
>>716503
Ethiopian Orthodoxy would have turned many converts into pariahs. That's what they did to us even when we converted from Judaism.
>>
>>716503
Because Catholicism actually does missionary work and builds schools and hospitals. There would probably be more Ethiopian Christians if the Ethiopian Church had as much resources as the Catholics
>>
>>716916
>Ethiopian Orthodoxy would have turned many converts into pariahs. That's what they did to us even when we converted from Judaism.
What. The Ethiopian Orthodox Church mainly comes from converted Ethiopian Jews. That's why they still circumcise and eat kosher.
>>
>>716526
Ethiopia is a land surrounded by mighty mountains. No one was dumb enough to try and take them, it was just easier to commerce with them.
>>
>>716944
After Christianization they was the Jewish revolt of Gudit, that series of wars and rule was based in part on the marginalized status we were facing.

After that period we were a pariah class, unable to own land, forced to become potters (it was a low status occupation, although we were acclaimed artisans in spite of the fact).

Those who hunt like Manjo and Weyto are also maligned today as were the herding Oromo.
>>
>>716503
because they accept no imitation of the Holy Catholic Church
>>
>>716966

>Jewish revolt of Gudit

never heard of this before, neat
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 226x207) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 226x207
>>716526
>>716543
>>716546
Somalia conquered it eight or nine times, and they literally had a muslim emperor for half of their existence.
The HOA is just religiously syncretic as fuck and no one really gives a fuck if someone venerated Michael or Aw Barkhadle.
Catholics are shot on sight however, as are Pentas because they can't chill like a bro and are seen as intolerant
>>716634
The Prophet Muhhamed (pbuh) banned anyone from attacking Abbysinia, since they allied with him against the pagans
>>716851
No one ever fights a war to spread their faith, The Council of Saqeefah laid out that the war was being fought so the Arabs would stop killing their children out of starvation. Arabia was becoming overpopulated and Egypt and Mesopotamia had surplus amounts of food they could share in.
>>
>>717203
>600k members
>founders of the first university there
>shot on site

I love it when people are retards.
>>
>>717277
There's a huge amount of anti-Catholic sentiment in Ethiopia from every side. The Sidamo were almost wiped out because they were Catholic shitstains.
>600k

There are 2 million Waaq worshipers in Ethiopia, but they're treated like shit. Catholics are hated in the same way

>Founded first university

They're still persecuted tho. Useful idiots or not.
>>
>>716966
You said Jews who converted were pariahs. I'm not saying marginalizing Jews is right, but don't try to portray this as converted Jews who were never accepted, since the Church of Ethiopian was comprised mainly of converted Jews. That's why they have the Tablets in Liturgy and so on. The Orthodox Church of Ethiopia identifies with the Jewish heritage of Christianity very strongly, and see the Church there as the continuation of the Judaism imported by the Queen of Sheba.
>>
>>716966
Are you Falasha? Do you guys seriously eat raw meat because the Afars used to hunt you for wedding testicles?
>>
What's a good stand-alone book for the Ethiopian'n'pals Christian Bible books? Stuff like

-Jerome
-Ignatius
-Rupert
-II Rupert
-Flatware
-Undiscovered Worlds

I'd rather not have another bible, just another "Apocrypha".
>>
>>717332
>Says the man who dropped gas bombs on Assyrian Villagers

my grandfather died at Anzio because that man was incompetent.
>>
>>716579

I was in a museum the other day and saw some Ethiopian Christian stuff, it's pretty dank.
>>
>>717339
a broken clock is right twice a day familia
>>
File: 1455202799700.png (113 KB, 520x414) Image search: [Google]
1455202799700.png
113 KB, 520x414
>>717324

>hunt you for wedding testicles

...is that exactly as bad as it sounds?
>>
>>717303
>they're hated
>trust me

Nah, there is no apparent anti-catholic sentiment in the country, at least not anywhere I visited in the last 14 years of irregular mission work.
>>
they chant in greek?
>>
File: 1434208193786.jpg (31 KB, 473x480) Image search: [Google]
1434208193786.jpg
31 KB, 473x480
>>717324
>hunt you for wedding testicles?
What?
>>
>>717309
No you don't seem to get it. The Christianized populations were not Jewish in the sense that my community is Jewish. They were like Qemant Agaw, a Judeo-Animistic peoples. I consider them a Jewish people (I use the term Judaic) in a broad sense.

Jews in the proper sense were heavily discriminated against even after conversion. Like those who have "barya" ancestry distantly, they and their lineages are remembered by the broader communities whose Judaic past is forgot.

I also want to state that there isn't any evidence of a total Judaic practice in all the highlands. It's a stretch to say the least.
>>717324
Falasha is an exonym, those who keep kosher don't eat kitfo, Afar aren't anywhere near our pre-modern era range.
>>
>>717349
If you lived there you would see it.
>>717345
There is literally nothing wrong with the most theologically perfect faith on earth

>Citing Churchill despite him being the most incompetent fool on earth.

He let hundreds of Britions starve to death so he could build a stupid tank that broke down when it hit the front.
You obviously must be an American
>>717346
Everyone used to hunt testicles, it's no big deal. You'll be dead when they get you anyway
>>
File: 1435081251242.jpg (19 KB, 217x276) Image search: [Google]
1435081251242.jpg
19 KB, 217x276
>>717375
>Everyone used to hunt testicles, it's no big deal. You'll be dead when they get you anyway

I have the feeling that I'm being rused.
>>
>>717375
Danish or Canadian Somali anon?
>>
>>717372
I'm sorry for calling you that if it offends you. Are you guys Habesha or not? We literally know nothing about the country behind us.
My dad thinks Amharas all have tails
>>
>>717363
It's Ge'ez.
>>
File: 1407772523697.png (25 KB, 289x200) Image search: [Google]
1407772523697.png
25 KB, 289x200
>>717375

>Everyone used to hunt testicles, it's no big deal

what the fuck man
>>
>>717380
>http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/02/0227_040227_TVhot.html

You'd probably survive the operation tho.
They only do it to Isse Somalis and Hareri.
>>
>>717383
Stop messing with the ferenji.
>>
>>717375
churchill's controversial decisions aside, you really don't think others have come to the same conclusion? are you kidding me?

>an anonymous poster defends the position of a british prime minister, must be american

sure thing "m8."

I don't even have huge beef with muslims as a whole, but that PBUH and SWT shit really gets on my nerves, I can't imagine going through life like that, literally worse than a hasidic jew in terms of autism.
>>
>>717372
>Jews in the proper sense were heavily discriminated against even after conversion.
Yeah, you're going to have substantiate this. The war you talked about was explicitly against Christianity and perpetuated by non-Christians.
>>
>>717404
It angers /pol/
>>717382
I live in Dubai
>>
Post Afar qts.
>>
File: dabakil[1].jpg (240 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
dabakil[1].jpg
240 KB, 1024x768
>>717398

>people live here

Why
>>
>>717407
Believe me or don't, we were largely illiterate I doubt translations and transcriptions exist.

I know this because this is what I was taught in my community.
>>
>>717446
It's heaven to them. Tougher terrain apparently makes you stronger or something.
I'm not arguing since they're literally 7 feet tall.
>>717445
Please no. Can we talk without yall getting thirsty for a hot second.
>>
>>717412
>Dubai
Really? I heard Arabs are really racist towards blacks there and the other gulf countries.
>>
>>717561
They count us as Sunni Arabs because it helps even out the demographic balance in their favor.
>>
>>716503

>fist of Rome

Would the fist of Addis Ababa really be preferable? The Pope lives on another continent and probably couldn't care less about African politics, whereas an Orthodox patriarch appointed by a king could easily take advantage of his authority to excommunicate foreign rulers and declare others heretics.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.