[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do words have meaning? That smirk on her face makes me think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 10
File: 1453310059820.jpg (81 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1453310059820.jpg
81 KB, 1024x1024
Do words have meaning?

That smirk on her face makes me think she is lying to us
>>
>>714024
Words have meaning but I doubt her and I would agree on the meaning of many words
>>
Words require definition, emotions require feelings. Hence poetry literature etc.
>>
Words only have meaning when those using the words can mutually agree on the meaning, or a power enforces it.

Also, colonization and indigenous people are social constructs.
>>
Science was developed through colonization? Isn't Aristotle considered a major figure in its formation (despite being wrong about most everything when it comes to science)? Who the fuck did he colonize?
>>
>>714048
>Who the fuck did he colonize?
Young boipussayyy
>>
>>714024
American """""""education"""""""

Jesus Christ.
>>
>>714065
Aristotle was anti-homosexual.
>>
>>714070
Nah that's actually pretty weak compared to how retarded Americans are, and it's anecdote level.
>>
>>714073
>Greeks of any flavour
>Anti-homosexual
Even modern day Greeks have difficulty surpressing their homosexual nature.
>>
>>714024
>science is a social construct
She's got the fucking trouble glasses on. All she's missing is the blue hair.
>>
>>714024
I don't understand these people. why do they hate everything that is a social construct?
>>
>>714158
Obviously retards like in OP's pic are the exception, but plenty of people recognise social constructs for what they are without exaggeration.
>>
>>714024
Words dont have meaning, we give them meaning to convey feelings and information but in itself they're just sounds/letters that represent something.
>>
>>714165
Are you thick?
>>
Man, going to DoDEA schools my whole life, I thought they were shitty, then I started college with public school folks and realized just how fucked the American education system is. If you're American, find a way to work with the US military overseas, your kids will thank you.
>>
You put meaning into words
>>
>>714083
That's because they were under Turkish thumb for so long
>>
>science is a social construct developed through colonization
This is literaly disinformation. Disinformation to dumb you down. Science is the manifestation of our logical thinking and the gathering of what knowledge we have. Also of course, since science is what justifies races, if it's a fucking social construct then the concept of races hold no more weigh.

Is it truly what you americans are being told in schools ?
>>
>>714076
It's alarming, like really. They're making of a whole generation of idiots on -purpose-
>>
lol is that an english lit lecture
>>
>words have meaning
damned marxists.
>>
>>714165
>>714183
words are practical ideas. the idea here is to regard them as the meaning which they carry. In themselves words are a unit of the language of which they consist and make up by conveying divisions of mental concepts which make up our inner workings. Words are a tool with which we communicate and express our inner telepathy with the outside world. It's a sophisticated ability that evolves through entropy.
>>
File: 41877122213.jpg (78 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
41877122213.jpg
78 KB, 540x720
>>714489
>>
>>714024
Disgusting.

"Words have meaning; they mean what I tell you they mean."

The tyranny of the left, foisted upon our children.
>>
>>714048
>Who the fuck did he colonize?
He was the first to claim Denbts in the name of Greece.
>>
File: wittgenstein.jpg (37 KB, 193x226) Image search: [Google]
wittgenstein.jpg
37 KB, 193x226
>>714024
>Words have meaning
>>
>>714070
At least her idiocy is coherent in the sense that we can understand what she's trying to say. That's more than you can say about continental philosophy.
>>
All lines are correct except the first one.
In Latin America there wasn't exactly erradication of the natives but yeah.
>>
File: 141677151.jpg (30 KB, 871x462) Image search: [Google]
141677151.jpg
30 KB, 871x462
>Do words have meaning?

Duh. When I say the word spoon you think of a spoon. What's so wrong with that statement?
>>
>>716837
What makes your words any different?

Why are they more valid than, for example, science, which strives to make their "words" represent reality as accurately as possible?

These thought exercises are important and useful because they teach us to critically examine the fundamental ideas that we base things like science on instead of just assuming it is true and that's the way it is. The problem is the teacher isn't asking the students to prove her wrong and justify scientific method without resorting to memes, she is telling them that they should literally believe science is bad because something a scientist discovered triggered her.
>>
>>716837
>In themselves
Do I need to post Wittgenstein again?
>>
File: hethinks.gif (549 KB, 720x534) Image search: [Google]
hethinks.gif
549 KB, 720x534
>>716946
Wow so racist, colonialist and imperialist.

To Mamunda of the Zmmbe tribe the spoon is not a spoon, it is a polished piece of iron that does not rust, like jewelry.

Check your spoon privilege shitlord.
>>
>>716935
Science is demonstrably created at a moment in human history. It happens at the same time that colonialism happens. If you think that's a coincidence, you're a goof.
>>
>>714024
Words lack inherent meaning but culture prescribes meaning to words.
>>
>>716974
>Science is demonstrably created at a moment in human history.
>It happens at the same time that colonialism happens.

The Scientific Revolution didn't invent science. If we consider Mathematics to be a science (and given its title 'Queen of the Sciences' you'd be a fool not to), we can conclude that science in some form has existed since several thousand years BC.
>>
>>717025
Science is not math and cannot be reduced to it.

Furthermore, if you're arguing that science is about experimentation and the use of scientifically significant calculation of cause and effect, then science is even YOUNGER than the early colonial period, proving you even more wrong (because statistics in that way did not exist in 1000 bc or whatever bumblefuck pythagorean retardation you're on about).
>>
File: nervous negroid.jpg (266 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
nervous negroid.jpg
266 KB, 960x960
>>717079
>Science=Statistics
>>
>>717079
You just said Math = Science.

I have a pretty clear definition of what science is. Empricism based on experimentation with reproducible results defined through statistical measurement.
>>
>>714065
Kek.
>>
>>717079
Do you consider Astronomy a science? Because we have plenty of accounts of Halley's Comet from ancient Babylon. How about seismology? Zhang Heng invented the seismometer in 132 AD. Chemistry? Avicenna used distillation to derive essential oils from a variety of plant species, and Democritus deduced that all matter is composed of atoms in 380 BC.

Then of course you couldn't possibly claim that physics was 'invented' during the Scientific Revolution, unless of course you were a drooling retard. Eratosthenes was able to deduce that the world is round sometime around 240 BC, and Archimedes laid the foundations for hydrostatics, statics, and calculated the mathematics behind the lever. He also devised of a way to determine the area under a curve without the methods of integral calculus.

Pick pretty much any field of science and you can find a precursor in the ancient or medieval world.
>>
>>717025
>If we consider Mathematics to be a science
Then we'd be retarded.
>>
>>717079
holy shit there are people this stupid
>>
That line about science almost awakens the frustrated teenage boy in me.
>>
>>717105
science is applied math
>>
Any result are got by induction, over at least space and time (since most people choose to think through these categories), and therefore cannot yield certainty. People feel the need to verify, more less individual by individual, these kind of results, precisely because they are not sure that they hold beforehand.
Thus they verify that the result hold statistically, with personal margins of statistical significance, to better choose to claim, out of laziness (or pragmatism (to sound less adhering to subjectivity), for those who choose to see themselves as pragmatists), that if the result holds, according to a few individuals, a few times, it holds more than a few times (sometimes forever, without statistical margins as in mathematics, for a few philosophers of mathematics (well, until somebody with good reputation claims to have found a mistake in a accepted proof old of a few years !)) and for everybody, therefore fulfilling their dream of truth by universality and necessity. Of course, they choose not to question their clinging to the concept of universality and necessity.
>>
>>717178
modern science requires the existence of institutions that keep and maintain knowledge that other scientists can test their findings again or be peer-reviewed by.

While some semblance of a scientific method is necessary to carry out science, what really makes something science is the social process of taking what you have and presenting it to a community that can then falsify it.

If it is carrried out individually or in a vacuum, it simply isn't science.
>>
>>717668
>I agree with SJWs because if I don't they call me a frustrated teenage boy manchild virgin loser
plz
>>
>>714024

I hate these fucking threads.

Yes. Words have meaning. How in the fuck are you going to use words to express a meaningful question and have that question answered back to you in a meaningful way if they didn't?

Or am I being trolled?

Also the ideas on that slide is retarded.
>>
>>714165

Let me be as clear as I can be to you:

If you give a thing to another thing, lets say if you give thing 'x' to thing 'y', thing 'y' now has thing 'x'.

You can say that thing 'y' now HAS or OWNS 'x'.

Words necessarily have meaning, whether or not we give them meaning is a different topic, they have meaning. You are an idiot.

If humans GIVE MEANING to words, words HAVE MEANING.
>>
>>714024
>science isn't real

But if someone in that class said "evolution isn't real, as it was determined by the scientific method, so god must have created everything" the lecturer would probably flip.
>>
>>718567
You really just described all of academia but put science in it.
>>
>>718617

Academic institutions are a vital part of modern science, so what's the problem?
>>
>>718608
Ehhh, there has been some cases were some feminist cunt says that evolution is a patriarchal construct deviced to perpetuate the idea that the sexes are natural different. Can't find de example in Google though.
>>
>>714024
>Do words have meaning?
Possibly, but we could never know, every act of a reader creating meaning is an act of rape against the indeterminacy of language.

And I ENJOY READING.
>>
>>714489
This is why we need wars. We do really, really stupid shit when we're bored. I honestly want to know what it is about our national psyche that causes this.
>>
Science is a social construct.
>>
>>719029
It's a human construct that relies highly on social interaction.
>>
>>715242

psychology
>>
>>714024
Words do not have meaning. What we imagine their meaning is are merely social constructs.
>>
>>719130
>She thinks she's conscious
How cute.
>>
Itt: you can't know nuffin
>>
>>716881
Not really him but I think 50-70% of people should go to trade school(and get decent job afterwards when they're 18-19) rather than go to university to waste their best years for listening to bullshit.
>>
Most Western anthropologists do not recognize races and point out there are more biological differences within the race than between races. Anthropologists from Eastern Europe and China however do recognize the race. The anthropologist's interpretation has a lot to do with the history of the country he is working in and the zeitgeist.
>>
>>719188
China also tries to claim the multi-regional hypothesis because they think they're special snowflakes.
>>
>>718815
I've never heard anyone says this, and if they did, it was probably a single example of some radfem from the 70s or something equally retarded.
>>
>>717079
Scientific method and statistics =/= science.

Mathematics itself also didn't start because some people decided "let's make math!". Trigonometry wasn't invented by Greeks - Egyptians and Babylonians knew it, but do you think people who used it were "mathematicians" of sorts? No, their role was closer to civil engineers.

Things like calculus or complex numbers were used in non-codified way looooong before early modern period as well.
>>
>>719188
There are races but whites asians etc. share it with Eastern Africans.

Other than that there are also Bantu, Pygmy and Capoids.
>>
Science used to be called 'Natural philosophy'.

Post this in /sci/ and see.
>>
File: science.png (21 KB, 797x154) Image search: [Google]
science.png
21 KB, 797x154
>>718567
>>
>>714024
Words have no meaning in independence of the individual human mind which stores and pronounces them.
>>
>>716946
fucking appliancist
>>
>>714024
Words are social constructs. Doesn't mean they're devoid of meaning. Mathematics is also contrived, but there is certainly meaning there because we accept its axioms. Similar with words and their meanings: we accept lexis and semantics which allows us to communicate our ideas.
>>
File: franz boas.jpg (22 KB, 408x521) Image search: [Google]
franz boas.jpg
22 KB, 408x521
Was Franz Boas a fraud?
>>
>>719188
I seriously hope you have to get a bone marrow transplant someday.

Good luck being white and getting one from a Native American, Avo, Indian, Black (Subsaharan, Ethiopian, or North) or Asian guy.
>>
>>714024
No, words have no meaning. They just refer to other symbols, ad infinitum. Ultimately we can't do what language portends to do.
>>
Most educated "laymen" would put forward the intuitive argument that empirical facts are objective and therefore culture/subject independent, and value and ethical statements are subjective and dependent on cultural background.

Consider however the Pirahã, who don't have concepts of cardinal and ordinal numbers, and who, because of their language, might not be capable of numeracy at all. For someone from the Pirahã people, a lot of seemingly empirical and objective facts to someone from another culture might appear completely different.

This extreme case illustrates the Quine-Duhem thesis, that all observations are ultimately theory laden, including those we think are indisputably objective. Although the idea that everything is theory laden was developed mainly within the context of the underdetermination of scientific theories, one could easily extend the principle to show that knowledge in general is always language and theory dependent, and therefore culture dependent.

Derrida offers a similar idea, but using a different approach, with his concepts of différance and deconstruction. Roughly speaking, Derrida establishes that terms in a language have meaning only relative to other terms, they never have inherent meaning. Again it is straightforward to extend this to the context of culture: Knowledge is based on meaning, and meaning is relative and therefore culture dependent, and so the same applies to knowledge.

Some in the scientific community have taken issue with this, feeling that the whole "Knowledge is culture dependent/everything is a social construct" idea has been taken too far by various thinkers and philosophers. Things came to a head with Alan Sokal's publication of a parody paper mocking such viewpoints, in what became know as the Sokal Affair...
>>
>>719187
That's exactly how it fucking was 40 years ago.
Now with a flood of cheap labor like the mexishits it's better to send kids off to college to put them into debt slavery.
College was, and is, supposed to be the place for nerds that /like/ school.
Now, it's roughly graduate school is that place.
>>
File: orc ninja.png (5 KB, 326x358) Image search: [Google]
orc ninja.png
5 KB, 326x358
>>716946
but do you think of a universal concept of spoonness?
>>
>>716946
Words don't stand for things, words stand in for things.
>>
>>722953
lol wrong pic
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.