[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thirty Years War
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 8
File: 210pxGustavIIAdolfofSweden.jpg (17 KB, 210x262) Image search: [Google]
210pxGustavIIAdolfofSweden.jpg
17 KB, 210x262
What was so bad about the Thirty Years War? Name of some horrible things that went on.
>>
>>712998
Nothing just the Catholics getting rekt
>>
The fat guy in the pic got killed.
>>
Up to 40% of the people living in the German states died.
>>
>>712998
The fat guy in the pic got killed.
>>
>>713003
BURN IN HELL HERETICS

LUTHER HAS DAMNED YOU ALL
ZWINGLI SPEAKS LIES AND SPILLS INNOCENT BLOOD
WALLENSTEIN WAS A DEVIL IN HUMAN GARB
>>
File: 30 years war population loss.jpg (153 KB, 947x1076) Image search: [Google]
30 years war population loss.jpg
153 KB, 947x1076
>>712998
>What was so bad about the Thirty Years War?
Huh I dunno
>>
>>713026
u wot m8

Richelieu was on the Protestant side.
>>
>>713142
>Richelieu was on the Protestant side
What?! Honestly, I never checked, but with robes (and the title cardinal) like those, I pinned him to the Catholics.
>>
Sack of Magdeburg was pretty bad desu.
>>
>>713151
The 30 Years' War was never more than superficially a religious war. Catholic France was supporting the protestant cause from the start because they were working to weaken the Habsburgs.

Richelieu, being the strategic genius he was, bankrolled first the Danes, then the Swedes during their involvement in Germany, all while France was contesting over Mantua with the Spanish and Austrian Habsburgs.

France finally got directly involved in 1635, making campaigns into Catalonia and the Rhineland. Meanwhile, they also got involved in Savoy, where they were again fighting the Habsburgs. Their efforts in Germany went pretty poorly for a while, but in 1643 they managed to decisively defeat the Spanish at Rocroi.
>>
>>713026
>Quality posts
>>712998
Pretty much the fact that the sides were completely variable and changing throughout the war as European monarchs began to toy with the centralized state diplomacy of balancing power. It started off as a protestant vs. catholic shit throwing fest but took a wicked turn when France and Sweden jumped in to fight the Habsburgs, the royal family controlling Spain, most of Italy, Austria, and claims to the Holy Roman Empire (which really isn't saying much, since the Holy Roman Empire lacked any unity whatsoever).
On the more localized level, the war was brutal. Disease was rampant among armies. Protestants and Catholics were hanged and burned in German lands due to religious perceptions of heresy. Battle formations (with the exception of Gustavus Adolphus' revolutionary salvo and mobile tactics) emphasized the Spanish square, which awkwardly fought against cannons (cannons vs. defensive formations= bad).
Since supply lines ran thin, especially for swedes, soldiers were forced to forage, and discipline began to break down as the war dragged on. Pillaging became rampant and thousands were displaced and forced to roam and starve in the wilderness (if they weren't butchered by enemy soldiers). The damage and displacement to agrarian communities was so bad in some areas that people were forced to cannibalism. Mecklenburg lost a large portion of its population as I remember and required practical recolonization after the war.

All in all, it was a pretty fuckin' ugly war.
>>
>>713182
>soldiers were forced to forage
That was actually a thing since Wallenstein was put in command. His means of procuring supplies - sending units to local towns with a decree stating that the town was tasked with supporting and paying X number of men - became the standard for the war on both sides, even if Wallenstein himself was ousted and eventually killed.

Of course, this led to rampant corruption among the officers tasked with procuring the supplies, and often times the payments demanded were well beyond the means of the villages being targeted.

The biggest thing that people tend to forget, however, is the plague. The Habsburg forces returning from Mantua brought with them a plague, and over the course of the war several plagues swept across Germany, devastating both civilians and soldiers. Apart from the regions directly devastated by the armies as they traveled and fought, it's thought that the bulk of the war's death toll actually came from plague.
>>
Wholesale slaughter of entire civilian populations.

Roving bands of mercenaries. Killing people with no accountability.

Execution methods and numbers that would make ISIS blush.
>>
File: Magdeburg_1631.jpg (187 KB, 790x628) Image search: [Google]
Magdeburg_1631.jpg
187 KB, 790x628
>>712998
The burning of Magdeburg.
Fuck you Tilly
>>
>>713020
Player got his motherfucking wig split, his clothes and armor looted, and his body dumped in a ditch with hundreds of the bodies of his allies and enemies.
>>
>>712998
Was Gustavus a proto-American?

>We bring freedom
>The Emperor is oppressing Lutherans
>Let's slaughter every German we come across, that'll show 'em!

>tfw Charles XII did the same thing
>>
can anyone recommend some good books on the 30 years war?
>>
>>714216
Europe's Tragedy by Peter H. Wilson.
>>
>>714229
thanks i'll check it out
>>
>>714216
The Thirty Years War by C. Veronica Wedgwood
>>
>>713367
And now the same fate is happening to all Swedes, and they get raped to boot
Truly, God is just
>>
>>714210
SWEDEN STRONK
>>
>>712998
>what was so bad

Dutch Independence
>>
>>714511
Nothing bad about it m8 the Netherlands had just outgrown the Spaniards.
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 256x259) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 256x259
>>714522
Considering the kind of cück country it is today, perhaps it's be best the land remain uninhabited.
>>
>>713003
Catholics got rekt by other catholics. Without the French the 30 years war was lost. The Spanish destroyed the Swedes, and that is what caused the French to declare war on Spain.
>>
>>713141
> major fighting powers are Austria, France and Sweden
> major loss of life in random German farmlands

No wonder the Germans are so pissed.
>>
>>713016
And that's bad because?
>>
>>714553
It's probably saved Europe from a unified Germany pre 1870s. Be thankful, anon.
>>
>>714553
Maybe that explains the world war
>>
>>714556
>>714638

Sometimes I feel like people post on this board by dribbling onto keys.
>>
>>714554
Because 40% of people living in a densely populated area died, you sociopathic Jew
>>
>>714654
>Germans
>people
Pick one
>>
>>714527
>Glorious
>Revolution
More like glorious invasion, ayy
>>
>>714656
>2016
>Being this Jewish
>>
>>714665
>2016
>liking Jews or Germans
Kill yourself you barbarian
>>
>>712998
It was an immense clusterfuck.
The war against Isis which has like 4 factions is less of a mess
>>
>>714672
Are you some kinda Muslim, bro?
>>
>>714648
I was being sarcastic
>>
>>714683
>I called you a barbarian
>You thought I was a muslim
No, I'm a Christian, but since you're a true German patriot, Inshallah (I don't know more verses of your prayer, sorry)
>>
The Rise of Protestantism.

Protestantism => Atheism => Fall of Morality

Surely, an atheist can be a moral person. But what happened in practice in the West is that with the fall of religion amorality won. Basically, the only kind of moral people have is "If it doesn't harm others directly, it is not wrong".
>>
>>714690
>2016
>Being a Christian and claiming that 40% of a human population being exterminated is fine because 'X aren't people'
ISHYGDDT
>>
>>714698
It's true: Western virtue ethics (the only true morality) fell out of fashion with Christianity.
>>
>>714700
Who said rome-sacking, genocide-causing, protestant-uprising, war-mongering, EU-founding furfags are people?
>>
>>712998

Makes some people think that Sweden was once relevant.
>>
>>714708
I didn't know it was possible for non-people to sack cities, commit genocide, rise up against the one true faith, war-monger, or found economic unions spanning the continent of Europe. You'll have to explain to me how the Germans are biologically distinct from the rest of humanity.
There are Catholic Germans, you know.
>>
>>714690
Inshallah means "god willing" u dum bih
>>
>>714719
With your logic, niggers are people too...
>>
>>714724
Now you get it habibi!
>>
>>714728
Selamaleikum Hans
>>
>>714724
It's almost like you're b8ing me
I'm as /pol/ as the next guy but I honestly don't understand how you can be holding this position in good conscience
>>
>>714734
You took the word "people" in a literal sense, you I just refuted your logic...
>>
>>714690
> Glad people died
> Claims to be Christian
Couldn't be more obvious you're a burger. You make proper Christians disgusted over you acting like you do in the name of "Christian traditions".
>>
>>714743
Without Germanics or muslims, Europe would've been stable for once.
Prove me wrong
>>
>>714711
But they were very relevant at the time and into the early 18th century, its regrettable you let your modern resentment of Sweden color your understanding of history anon.
>>
>>714749
If perfidious albion can't manipulate the lesser nations into conflict, she will take up the reigns on the engine of war herself.
>>
>>714762

>resentment
What?
>>
>>714769
God shave the queen my fellow chap!
>>
>>714749
Lot of love for your enemies there family
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?
>>
>>714798
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ztOV2wrrkY
>>
File: 1432139836859.jpg (64 KB, 491x713) Image search: [Google]
1432139836859.jpg
64 KB, 491x713
>>714549
>The Spanish destroyed the Swedes,
>>
File: defenestration_of_prague.jpg (319 KB, 960x684) Image search: [Google]
defenestration_of_prague.jpg
319 KB, 960x684
REEEEEEE HABSBURGS GET OUT
>>
File: 1411564177285.jpg (56 KB, 531x471) Image search: [Google]
1411564177285.jpg
56 KB, 531x471
>its a Steinberg article
>>
>>714216
1 6 3 1

RING OF FIRE
>>
>>716664
>11631
Badly memed
>>
>>714834
defenestREEEEEEEtion of prague
>>
>>712998
Almost complete destruction of Magdeburg.

>O Magdeburg, die Stadt,
>Die schöne Mädchen hat,
>Die schöne Frau'n und Mädchen hat,
>O Magdeburg, die Stadt.

>Da alles steht im Flor,
>Der Tilly zieht davor,
>Durch Garten und durch Felder Flor,
>Der Tilly zieht davor.

>Der Tilly steht davor!
>Wer rettet Stadt und Haus?
>Geh', Lieber, geh' zum Tor
>Hinaus und schlag' dich mit ihm draus!

>Es hat noch keine Not,
>So sehr er tobt und droht,
>Ich küsse deine Wänglein rot,
>Es hat noch keine Not.

>Die Sehnsucht mach mich bleich.
>Warum bin ich denn reich?
>Dein Vater ist vielleicht schon bleich,
>Du, Kind, du machst mich weich.

>O Mutter, gib mir Brot!
>Ist denn der Vater tod?
>O Mutter, gib ein Stückchen Brot!
>O welche große Not.

>Dein Vater lieb ist hin,
>Die Bürger alle fliehn.
>Schon fließt das Blut die Straße hin,
>Wo fliehn wir hin, wohin?

>Die Kirche stürzt in Graus,
>Da droben brennt das Haus,
>Es qualmt das Dach, schon flammt's heraus -
>Nur auf die Straß' hinaus!

>Ach, keine Rettung mehr
>In Straßen rast das Heer,
>Mit Flammen rast es hin und her,
>Ach keine Rettung mehr!

>Die Häuser stürzen ein.
>Wo ist das Mein und Dein?
>Das Bündelchen, es ist nicht dein,
>Du flüchtig Mägdelein.

>Die Weiber bangen sehr,
>Die Mägdlein noch viel mehr.
>Was lebt, ist keine Jungfer mehr.
>So raset Tillys Heer.

Fucking Goethe.
>>
>>714749
Current European politics doesn't change how Christ told you to behave towards your conquerors and enemies 2000 years ago.

If you can save 100 people and one of them will stab you in your back, and you're questioning if you really should have saved those 100 people, you're Christian in name only.
>>
>>719571
WW2 Loser to WW2 Winner for me please.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkBXrenRhPQ
>>
>>714708
>these people are from the same area of land so they're the same people
Bet you think we should give every black person in the US money as reparations, cause even tho they were never slaves, and us never slave owners
Off yourself retard
>>
>>714743
>killing people is not a Christian tradition

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Ma%27arra
>>
>>719729
That's 'Christians' performing horrific acts, not a christian tradition
>>
>>719729
>The accuracy of the events described by Radulph of Caen have been disputed. The famine and cannibalism are recognised as described by Fulcher of Chartres but the torture and killing of Muslim captives for cannibalism by Radulph of Caen are very unlikely since there are no Arab or Muslim records of the events. Had they occurred they would have undoubtedly been recorded. This has been noted by BBC Timewatch series, the episode The Crusades: A Timewatch Guide , which included the experts Dr Thomas Asbridge and Muslim Arabic historian Dr Fozia Bora, who states Radulph of Caen's description does not appear in Muslim contemporary chronicles. [2] [3][4]
Or what did you try to prove with this?
>>
>>714229
>>714399
Pick Peter's book.

>>714554
Hurt, hurt, my Nazis ... that just happen to be very genetically similar to every other Western European country.
>>
>>713142
>>713151

There was no protestant and catholic side of the war once the initial or czech phase ends. It becomes just imperial and anti-imperial when the scandis enter the arena since both the dane and the swede fat guys were basically mercenaries of Richelieu, a catholic cardinal, payed to attack the emperor "in the name of protestantism".
>>
>>714814
They did, read a book on the subject.
>>
>>714216
Ignore the others, the book you're looking for is the one by Geoffrey Parker.
>>
>>714814
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_N%C3%B6rdlingen_(1634)
Pretty much, this forced France to enter in the war in the protestant side.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.