[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How legit is Myers-Briggs and Jungian Psychology? I just had
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11
File: Jung-pipe[1].jpg (18 KB, 206x280) Image search: [Google]
Jung-pipe[1].jpg
18 KB, 206x280
How legit is Myers-Briggs and Jungian Psychology?

I just had mine done for school and it's eerie how similar I am to the stereotype of my mbti. Is there any good reads on how to function as a person with INTJ because I feel like a fucking autist.
>>
>>708415
>Not being superior ENTP
>>
>>708417
I agree, INTJ seems to suck dick. I googled some INTJ forums but everyone seemed like such an insufferable cunt.
>>
>>708415
>How legit is Myers-Briggs and Jungian Psychology?

Not even a little bit. Even when it was fashionable, it was dismissed by academics. Now, 100 years later, only kooks pursue it. A lot of what is commonly called "New Age" mysticism is derived directly from Jung.
>>
About as valid as horoscopes
>>
>>708437
>only kooks pursue it.

literally every major corporation and business school in the US has a giant boner for it.
>>
File: 1455555027452.jpg (22 KB, 480x335) Image search: [Google]
1455555027452.jpg
22 KB, 480x335
>>708437

>tfw I signed up for a career development class and the professor (who should know better, since he's a biochemist) made us take MBTI tests
>I keep mentioning how I think it's bulshit
>he claims this class is a free marketplace of ideas but clearly is peeved that I think it's gay

It's rough having an autistic personality.
>>
>>708429
you do fit with the stereotype 2bh
>>
>>708446

Yeah, no. MBTI is bunk, this crap was disproved decades ago.
http://www.indiana.edu/~jobtalk/HRMWebsite/hrm/articles/develop/mbti.pdf
>>
>>708415

Horoscopes for people that think they're too smart to believe in horoscopes.
>>
File: Ming Games.jpg (63 KB, 640x465) Image search: [Google]
Ming Games.jpg
63 KB, 640x465
> Jungian Psychology
Same level as Thelema.
> Myers-Briggs
One step from astrology.

Hardcore russian socionics are only legit post-jungians in the world. Two of them to be precise, who know neuroscience, statistical analysis and have tons of sheer data to work with. Even they are not that legit as you might think they are.
>>
>>708446
Yeah but they'll latch unto any personality test bullshit in the hopes of discovering some secret formula of personality grouping that increases productivity. These are the same people who use the 4 color personality test. If zodiac signs weren't openly mocked they'd be using them too.

In other words they don't care about the science.
>>
>>708415
Not at all. MBTI is basically a way in which an uneducated simpleton at Walmart could declare themselves a psychologist.

I think it is fun and harmless when if you don't take it too seriously. I am an ENTP and sometimes I like to find out who shares the same "type", but I take it with a grain of salt.
>>
>>708515
Reinin and who else?
>>
>>708415
""""""""""""HUMAN RESOURCES""""""""""""" is the shittiest and most woman filled department in most corporations. Soulless sociopaths with psychology """"""degrees"""""" pretending to know what they're doing.
>>
>>708437
>>708446
>>708488
Had a friend who went to work for a top tier law firm in the Commonwealth and they made you take Myers-Briggs. So yeah your "kook" bullshit is still used in the corporate world.
>>
MBTI doesn't meet the psychometric requirements of validity. Apart from profiling usages, it’s worthless in a clinical sense.

I'm a forensic psychiatrist.
>>
ISTJ master race.

God save the king.
>>
>>708604
God save you from original thoughts
>>
>>708612
Indeed.
>>
>>708582
While you're still here, I have a few questions doc:

Can someone have schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and autism at the time time?
I think I was diagnosed with schizophrenia at first (my parents told me, and the records I requested say "Diagnosis told to the parents: paranoid schizophrenia"). Then, half a year later, the diagnosis was revised to mood disorder. Now, I've learned that I also have autism: after getting redirected to a special center, they mentioned my "autism diagnosis", which I wasn't even aware of. I asked them what they meant by it, and they said that they were surprised that I didn't know about it, and that the records transferred to me from the past followup say that I have autism and recommend prompt redirection to a special autism center.

WTF is this shit? Am I just completely insane, and all of this never happened? If, so then, how does one explain the presence of medical records (which I have in my possession) which state an autism diagnosis?
Or am I just too autistic to even understand what my diagnoses are? I'm confused by all this.
>>
>>708552
Reinin is good mathematician. His system is very elegant as formal theory but he is a joke as far as psychology goes. Talanov is only one who can be relevant or cares to be today. His publications are very detailed but relatively hard to get into with all stats and maths. Second to him should be Victor Gulenko. There are some other with varied degree of half-credibility from at least good psychologists to complete insane like time-cube tier theoretics. Some of classic works hold ups now but they are flawed in many ways even on fundamental levels.
>>
>>708415
Every time I take that damn test I get a different answer
>>
>>708563
True. HR mostly consists of retarded idiots. Having to talk with them usually makes me angry.
>>
>>708645
shit, you probably have a multiple personality disorder. better self medicate bro
>>
http://strawpoll.me/6840524
>>
>>708660
Autism types taking an early lead.
>>
>>708680
>INTJ
the angsty autist

>INFP
the beta autist

>INTP
the NEET autist
>>
File: 1453253365454.png (233 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1453253365454.png
233 KB, 400x400
>>708660
>mfw only ENFJ so far
>>
>>708694
>tfw intj
>tfw spend all my free time imagining conversations in which I explain my pain to others
>>
>>708660
INTP and INTJ on top, who could have guessed.
>>
>>708694
>the NEET autist
Fits me perfectly.
>>
>>708660
My type isn't on there
>>
File: 1451625210152.jpg (61 KB, 423x951) Image search: [Google]
1451625210152.jpg
61 KB, 423x951
>>708415
Fellow INTJ here.

The key to these tests is to take the results with a grain of salt and look beyond the official "tell you what you want to hear" answer.

For example, if you look up INTJ results in business management psychology textbooks (where I originally got tested in) or via popular internet tests it'll give you some nice little lines about how you're a "mastermind" or some bullshit like that.

If you look at Myers-Briggs threads on /pol/ or /r9k/ you'll find far more INTJs than you'd expect (they make up 1-2% of the general pop. but seem to make up 1/3-1/2 of the board population).

This in conjunction with anecdotal evidence from self-identified INTJs should tell you that most people who test into this personality type are generally miserable, cynical and lonely.

Whether that's because INTJ tests directly for those traits (or as I believe) it tests for traits that highly correlate with cynicism, depression etc. doesn't really matter because the end result is the same.

You need to look beyond the happy go-lucky horoscope tier descriptors and see what traits really correlate with this testing shit and that said I would heavily caution against using Myers-Briggs as anything more than a guideline or just one of many tools to help glean insights into your own psyche that might not be readily apparent.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking "omg that's me!" and then try to mentally conform your past behaviors and thoughts to what you believe you should have felt and acted on. Humans are incredibly susceptible to that.

>>708429
True that.
>>
File: look everyone its me.jpg (150 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
look everyone its me.jpg
150 KB, 800x800
>>708876
Pic related might have been a little more appropriate now that I think about it.
>>
File: 2wW9Zk9.jpg (581 KB, 2584x1468) Image search: [Google]
2wW9Zk9.jpg
581 KB, 2584x1468
INFJ masterrace reporting
>>
File: vos5tz.png (911 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
vos5tz.png
911 KB, 1280x960
>>709024
samefag here just wanted to post one of the old guides from /a/.
>>
Last time I did an MBTI test on the Internet out of whim, I got INTP
>>
>>708415
Not even slightly legit. It's basically a horoscope.
Jungian Psychology isn't a great description of how the brain and mind actually function, but it's such a great hypothetical design that it serves a great literary function.

Your conscious mind might not consist of a shadow and anima and all that jazz, but fuck if it isn't a useful tool for meta-narrative analysis in fiction.
>>
>mfw ENTJ master race
>>
I got ANOJ, wtf does that mean?
>>
>>709038
> lina inverse
> estp
She is ENTJ, bitch as calculating jew to the max
>>
File: injtstare.jpg (38 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
injtstare.jpg
38 KB, 750x600
>mfw INTJ

hate it
>>
ESTJ here
>>
Not legit.

But it is used by many companies. It is along with "holistic admission in American Universities" and "bloodletting" and example on why "people use it" is not a good argument for the validity of something.
>>
>>708492
but horoscopes do change over time
>>
>>708694
>>INTP
>the NEET autist
Yep, that's me
>>
>>708415
>ctrl+f esfp
>0 results

Why am I not surprised famfams?
>>
>>709024
MBTI a shit and stuff but holy fuck I'm Yang Wenli
>>
>>709657
>Not being ESTP master race

dude autism lmao
>>
I'm an INTJ(surprise surprise)

The Jungian types aren't intended to be the only schema for the mind, i don't think Jung himself would say that.
>>
>>709561
where did you do that test?
>>
It's shit. It's basically solely used by scam artists pretending to be HR consults.

t. Working in HR.
>>
I wish I understood Jungian psych better because it's one of the only systems that seems to actually model my experiences with psychosis in a meaningful way.
>>
>>709024
>Walter
>abandon relationships

>Bittenfeld
>impulsive

>Oberstein
>tendency to be smug

>Yang
-Little desire for control

So true
>>
>>708415
Myers Briggs is very unreliable, has a very low retest reliability and is very much outdated.

Jungian Psychology is outdated as well, but not as much as Freud I'd say, in this interconnected internet age much of his terms make sense and he formed the thinking of this (new) age.

>>710341
>it's one of the only systems that seems to actually model my experiences with psychosis in a meaningful way.
same here fellow psychoticbro, have you read his red book? If not here's an archive, I've pretty much read it all, fascinating stuff imho

https://thepiratebay.se/torrent/7922268/The_Carl_Gustav_Jung_Multimedia_Archive
>>
>>710424
>reading his red book without at least reading Man and his Symbols
That is like learning swim on the deep end of the pool
>>
>>710424

I've read The Portable Jung and Seven Sermons to the Dead. Not his red book (yet).
>>
>answer these personal questions
>here's what they say about your thought process

jesus christ you fedorafags, mbti is just a simple personality test meant to understand different people at a basic level. Yeah it's not scientific, but it's not fucking magic bullshit like astrology. My company has all employees take it and it helps. I don't need data to realize that extroverts/introverts or emotional/logical employees act different, and mbti helps peg people into easy categories for efficient management.
>>
>>710507
>Yeah it's not scientific, but it's not fucking magic bullshit like astrology.
it is though. you were better off rolling the dice and categorizing your employees this way.

Make them take the test twice, with at least two months apart, and you'll see what I mean.. people falling in completely different categories than before..

pegging people into easy categories
>people are this simple to categorize
>>
>>708415
>take test
>ESFJ

So what does this mean?
>>
>>710573
It means that you're a disgusting normie. REEEE
>>
>>710540
I heard there was tests with 50% consistency of results.
>>
>>710540
answering 50+ questions is not the same as rolling the dice or naming your birthday month.

>people are this simple to categorize

no shit, which is why mbti is a good shorthand. It's a matter of convenience, if it didn't work than companies wouldn't do it. Like I said, I don't give a shit about the deep inner psychology of my coworkers. I only care about their preferred working habits.
>>
>>710593
that's a pretty low consistency. forget the dice, how about a coin toss? is that something a respectalbe managmement should base it's decisions on, something that proofs to be bullshit in 50% of all cases? Also there are other problems with it too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers%E2%80%93Briggs_Type_Indicator#Criticism
>>
Is there a better alternative? Socionics maybe? Enneagram?
>>
>>710812
Socionics is better alternative if you filter all of the bullshit from it. Enneagram is overcomplicated esoteric system literally created by Jesuits.
>>
>>708640
>>>708582 (You)
>While you're still here, I have a few questions doc:
>Can someone have schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and autism at the time time?
Theoretically speaking, it is possible. How feasible it would be to measure those conditions, or disorders, if you so please, simultaneously, is not an easy task in modern psychiatry. It would simply be too lenghty, delicate and complex.

>I think I was diagnosed with schizophrenia at first (my parents told me, and the records I requested say "Diagnosis told to the parents: paranoid schizophrenia"). Then, half a year later, the diagnosis was revised to mood disorder.
I'd have to examine you myself in order to make a proper assessment of your condition. In all seriousness though, a transition from paranoid schizophrenia to mood disorder sounds like some lazy psychiatrist exercised some lazy psychiatry.

>Now, I've learned that I also have autism: after getting redirected to a special center, they mentioned my "autism diagnosis", which I wasn't even aware of. I asked them what they meant by it, and they said that they were surprised that I didn't know about it, and that the records transferred to me from the past followup say that I have autism and recommend prompt redirection to a special autism center.
Do you identify yourself as autistic, or do you simply have asperger syndrome? There is a world of difference between the two.
>>
>>708640
>WTF is this shit? Am I just completely insane, and all of this never happened? If, so then, how does one explain the presence of medical records (which I have in my possession) which state an autism diagnosis?
I admit that it is still too early to determine whether or not you were screwed over (which sadly, to my knowledge, all too many people does in terms of medical indifference), so I will have to refrain from answering your question.

>Or am I just too autistic to even understand what my diagnoses are? I'm confused by all this.
Have you considered venturing toward a self diagnostic scheme? It ought to ultimately answer some of your questions.
>>
>>708710
Hello friend :)
>>
I scored ENFP for the past two years every time I take the test.

What does that mean?
>>
It seems everytime I take this test there's something different althought I'm not entirely sure about my last results.
Anyway, if you think about it, people change.
This time I am an INFJ
>>
>>708415
It's a theoretical model attempting to categorize all personality types in humans. If you interpret the functions as polarities, and take shadow functions into consideration, then the model really is complex and can cover a huge range of personalities. The thing is, there are still more types than the test is able to cover, so the model is clearly imperfect.

What's more concerning is why such a model even exists and why people are interested in it. Bottom line is, like Nietzsche said, a will to a system is a lack of integrity. It's no coincidence that so many people who go for psychology degrees are temperamental young girls.
>>
>>711290
>a bipolar NEET who accomplished nothing other than writing books hates systems

maybe he should have figured out a system on how to get laid.
>>
>>708660
>>708736 This.
>>
>tfw INFJ but I can be pretty damn sociable and others have expressed their surprise at how well I get along with (almost) everyone

Does that mean I'm becoming more extroverted or just that I'm getting better at acting like I am?
>>
File: 122687832.png (146 KB, 500x431) Image search: [Google]
122687832.png
146 KB, 500x431
>>714132
Look into the functions.
>>
>>708417
>not being able to be any of the 16 types at will
>>
>>708437
>it's bullshit because official academics don't recognize it
e b i n
>>
To the others intp, what phylosophy of life do you have ? I'd go with stoicism.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.