[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /his/ like Plotinus so much?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1
File: 20070409162546!Plotinos.jpg (79 KB, 693x681) Image search: [Google]
20070409162546!Plotinos.jpg
79 KB, 693x681
Why does /his/ like Plotinus so much?
>>
>Why doesn't /his/ like Plotinus more?
FTFY

I see more Marx and Stirner more often. The right-wing seems to focus more on religious (Christian) debates, even though the Church owns a large chunk of its philosophy to Platonism.

Dionysus, for example, quoted Proclus verbatim without naming his source and was considered an authority by the Church for many centuries.

Augustine said in his confessions that "the books of the Platonists" played a part in his conversion. You would think, why not convert to paganism instead? But Roman Paganism was so degenerate at the time that the only place one could live out the ideals laid down by the Platonists (notice I don't use the term Neoplatonists) was in the Christian Church. Platonism was extremely at odds with the actually existing Greek and Roman religions from the start, so much so that Plato envisioned banning Homer from his Republic and the Later Platonists had to come up with entirely new ways to interpret Homer so as to save face. They were in a sense reformers too, but they never got their way, partially because their religion was too elitist and intellectualized and missed the devotional aspects, whereas Christianity was adapted to the minds of illiterate slaves and old wives.

Ironically their exegetical method of interpreting seemingly absurd texts in a "spiritual" fashion was applied to the Torah by Philo and inherited by the Christian Church. We find this style of exegesis in Aquinas (there's the literal and the "spiritual" meaning of scripture. The ones that are absurd are usually the "spiritual" ones). It is one of the many influences Platonism in the Christian theology. Christians of course will ignore or deny this because they are dishonest and resistant to truth, but such is life.
Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.