[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would the Confederate states have turned out as modern day Mexico
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: Conferdate states of America.jpg (122 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Conferdate states of America.jpg
122 KB, 1920x1080
Would the Confederate states have turned out as modern day Mexico if the northern states accepted their declaration of independence or would they have been able to get roughly the same standards of living and governance they got today?
As I get it the south's economy was almost all based on plantations at the time, the plantation owners having quite a lot of power just like in many Latin American states.
>>
Alternate history is a good way to give yourself brain cancer.

If the south continued to rely almost soley on cotton then eventually the cotton market would crashed (like it was heading towards when the primary buyers of southern cotton France and England started relying on Eygpt instead) and they wouldn't be in a position to transition to a different industry.

Or they could have diversified their portfolio before the crash which wasn't happening because cotton was just too good of a return on investment.

Or maybe if the South did succeed peacefully aliums would have taken it as a sign to decloak from their invisible flying saucers and conquer us puny, passive earthmen.
>>
>>909888
The CSA would look more like South Africa than to moder day dixieland, Mexico and South America would be more prosperous since the US would be too busy fucking with the south instead of spending resources to desestabilice hispanic countries.
>>
>>909888
No, slavery was already on its last gasps. Even if the Union was never formed to counter the Confederacy and allowed the South to secede, slavery would've eventually died out in several decades, maybe a century at long. But regardless I don't see the South turning into a shithole like Mexico.
>>
The standard of living isn't even comparable today. The South falls behind on nearly all metrics.
The North has it's pockets of garbage trash (aka cities full of niggers), but the entirety of the South is like 15 years behind the North in basic infrastructure and education.
They always rant about cost of living and taxes but I'd rather live somewhere with more civilization than paved roads and a Walmart.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.