[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about the history of Asian Russia, /his/. Somehow I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 11
File: Asian_Russia.png (883 KB, 1498x861) Image search: [Google]
Asian_Russia.png
883 KB, 1498x861
Tell me about the history of Asian Russia, /his/.

Somehow I have a hard time believing the finnic/mongol people of Siberia and Sakha had a fine time getting along with the slavic people of European Russia.
>>
>>918045
desu I always consider Siberia to be a frozen wasteland with a few native Mongoloids and lots of fur
>>
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yermak_Timofeyevich
>>
>>918045
They weren't. In fact, Russian colonialism was characterized by settling only along the major roadways and inside big settlements, with going out of them only to collect the tribute. Partly it was due to Russian customary xenophobia but partly it was due to vicious resistance natives maintained. Here's one example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chukchi_people
>The Chukchi were generally ignored for the next 50 years because they were warlike and had few furs. Fighting flared up around 1700 when the Russians began operating in the Kamchatka Peninsula and needed to protect their communications from the Chukchi and Koryak. The first attempt to conquer them was made in 1701. Other expeditions were sent out in 1708, 1709 and 1711 with considerable bloodshed but little success. War was renewed in 1729, when the Chukchi defeated an expedition from Okhotsk and killed its commander. Command passed to Major Dmitry Pavlutsky, who adopted very destructive tactics, burning, killing, driving off reindeer, and capturing women and children.[8] In 1742, the government at Saint Petersburg ordered another war in which the Chukchi and Koryak were to be "totally extirpated". The war (1744–7) was conducted with similar brutality and ended when Pavlutsky was killed in March 1747.[8] It is said that the Chukchi kept his head as a trophy for a number of years. The Russians waged war again in the 1750s.
>>
>>918091
>Russian colonialism was characterized by settling only along the major roadways and inside big settlements
Only in lands with really bad climate, there it's impossible to grow anything. South Siberia (Yekaterinburg, Novosibirsk, Irkutsk and other regions) is rather habitat.
Also, there were no railroad until 1901.
>>
>>918045
>Russians
>Not just a mixture of Finns and Mongols
>>
>>918045
Hahaha benis brovins xDDDD
>>
File: siberiajuly11_2.jpg (1 MB, 4368x2912) Image search: [Google]
siberiajuly11_2.jpg
1 MB, 4368x2912
>>918067
>>
File: Yakut Shaman.jpg (210 KB, 400x653) Image search: [Google]
Yakut Shaman.jpg
210 KB, 400x653
>>918045
The Mongol Conquest of SIberia was pretty much the chillest conquest of the Mongols. Fought a short war with the local chiefs and it was over. Mongs told the locals that they were under Mong rule now and should gib tribute. Locals just went, "Okay."

The Sibir tribes were weirdos to the Mongols, and referred to them as "People of the Forest." Genghiz Khan saw a great potential to support a settlement in Siberia and sent Chinese colonists to civilize the place.

The Colonists went native.

Kubilai Khan under the Yuan Rule sent another batch of colonists - this time with a Chinese legal official- to civilize the place.

The Chinese went native...again.
>>
>>918045
>Siberia is literally shaped like a benis
God is a madman.
>>
>>918045
Finnics never lived in Siberia. The only Uralics who did were Samoyeds
>>
File: russian-physical-map[1].gif (698 KB, 1800x1097) Image search: [Google]
russian-physical-map[1].gif
698 KB, 1800x1097
>>923056
Not really, that's just Siberian Federal District of Russia which is shaped like that.
>>
>>923056
>>923070
russians are literal madmen
>>
File: The Map of Rusian Empire 1872.jpg (355 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
The Map of Rusian Empire 1872.jpg
355 KB, 1024x682
>>918045
Penis shape was did between 1872 C.E. and present time. May be it is invention of communists.
>>
>>918045
Bumping for interest. Asian Russia has always fascinated me. I''d like to visit Wrangel Island, but it's fucking expensive.

How come no one claimed that area before the russians? Their own explorations have been fairly recent. Japanese, Chinese and Koreans were culturally advanced enough to try to conquer it before.
>>
>>918045
Is it true that many Russia officers want to change the Arctic seas name into the Russian sea?
>>
>>923100
Go to bed Ivan, you're drunk.

>>923113
It was mostly because nobody really gave a shit about a huge wasteland so Russians just kind of waltzed in and made it their colony. Remember that Siberian resources had been discovered quite recently (as opposed to Urals, that was earlier) too.
>>
>>923113
if we're considering the time frame until the 17th century and Russian colonialisation, and only considering Eastern Siberia and not the edge of the Urals which was already quite populated
>Japanese
too busy on their little island to care
>China
always had the Mongols and Manchus to contend with, and by the time the Qing was consolidated Russia had largely colonialised the region
>Korea
always had their Manchu neighbours to deal with

you do have records of various interactions between the folks of Siberia and their southern neighbours, mainly the Mongols and their predecessors. the Liaoshi, the history of the Khitans, record tributes received from forest peoples in Siberia in the 10th century. frankly, I just think there was a lack of interest because there was no perceivable material gain that one couldn't get by trading with the local people, not to mention how infeasible an expedition would have been to get what, exactly? some furs? I could be wrong about this though, so feel free to correct me
>>
File: Theodore_Roosevelt.jpg (87 KB, 569x390) Image search: [Google]
Theodore_Roosevelt.jpg
87 KB, 569x390
>>923128
>feel free to correct me
Absolutely no anon. Thanks for your post.

http://www.heritage-expeditions.com/destination/wrangel-island/

tfw when I'll never have the money
>>
>>923128
>always had the Mongols and Manchus to contend with, and by the time the Qing was consolidated Russia had largely colonialised the region
More like Siberia is far too North well away from the major trade routes to care. And that they have a big empire to boot already.
>>
File: lake baigal.jpg (622 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
lake baigal.jpg
622 KB, 1920x1200
>>923157
you can always take the train to Buryatia as Lake Baikal is a dank place, but sadly no polar bears for you
>>
>>923197
Largest freshwater lake in the world, soon to be ruined by Russian industry
>>
>>923558
>soon to be ruined by Russian industry
why is that anon
>>
>>923601
http://earthsky.org/earth/how-is-pollution-changing-lake-baikal
>>
>>923558
The government sold it to a Chinese company recently.

http://newdaynews.ru/society/551645.html
>>
>>923660
What could possibly go wrong
>>
>>923601
>Russian industry
Baikal cellulose factory bankrupt was in 2013.
>>
>>923027
Why did they go native?
>>
File: P6030495.jpg (3 MB, 4288x3216) Image search: [Google]
P6030495.jpg
3 MB, 4288x3216
>>918045
I don't think there's much in English on the subject. Add to that the fact that most people there were illiterate (even the Russian settlers for centuries) and it's very hard to piece together the history of the region.

>>918091
This anon is correct, attempts to conquer many tribes living in Siberia largely failed and instead mutual arrangements of trade and tribute were arranged. Being associated with the Russian Empire opened up the possibility of fur trading with the wider world, and allowed native tribes to sell and buy outside their region through Russian intermediaries; the benefits to the natives (foreign trade) were well worth the tribute (some furs they would get anyway) to a far-away emperor they almost never really cared about.

Because the region is so hostile to life in general, native inhabitants were very few in number and easily outnumbered by later Russians moving into southern Siberia and the southern Far East like this anon said >>918932 (fun fact, the old Mongol roads were the framework for the roads used by the Russian Empire in the region until the railroads, and many cities become important only because of the railroads, such as Novonikolaevski, the later Novosibirsk)

Russians living outside of the southern strip are usually concentrated in single cities (such as what happened in a region in Kamchatka, where almost half of the population lives in a single city) and often times not by their own choice as the Soviets moved people wherever they wanted them to be. Siberia has actually lost a large part of its population after 1991 as people move out for better environments and job prospects elsewhere.

I lived in Novosibirsk and taught English for awhile. It's a beautiful place, but the Soviets really fucked their shit up. Few people there care for the history of their region as far as I could tell, even though pride for being tough enough to live in the world's continental fridge was popular.
>>
File: Yakut National Costumes.jpg (71 KB, 449x600) Image search: [Google]
Yakut National Costumes.jpg
71 KB, 449x600
>>923716
Because Mongols were idiots and assumed Civilization = Planting Civilized People somewhere.

When life in Siberia was quite wild with 0 fucking infrastructure the Chinese were used too back home and so they just followed what the locals were doing. They did manage to build a few roads and some villages here and there. But shit was still pretty hunter gatherer.

Soon enough the civilized Chinese intermarried with the locals and beat skin drums and wailed shaman shit along with them.
>>
File: 1449188857435.png (1 MB, 934x886) Image search: [Google]
1449188857435.png
1 MB, 934x886
>>923974
Hnnnnggghhh that chick on the right tho
>>
>>918045
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTCJ5hedcVA
>>
>>924091
Have some free Tuvan throat singing mp3s fampai:

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Huun_Huur_Tu/
>>
>>923558
>name literally means nature
JUST
>>
>>923974
are there sources that suggest that these 'colonies' actually assimilated into the local populations? I assumed they might have just left when the going got tough, and calling them colonies might be a bit of a stretch as well. you had bureaucratic postings that were meant to administrate over various subjects in the empire, this phenomenon continued in the Qing Dynasty as well, and some entrepreneurial merchants or farmers might have tagged along as well. not to raise any doubt, but I'm quite curious as to how it went on
>>
>>923950
yep, my family went to Chita a few years back, everyone called the place a shit hole
>>
>>924196
What took them to Chita? Most Russian cities are not fun places to visit, but they aren't too bad to actually live in. It's just that there's not much for visitors to do amidst a sea of Soviet tenements and little bars.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.