[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Retrospect on the first few days of /his/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47
File: aristotle-bust.jpg (145 KB, 550x380) Image search: [Google]
aristotle-bust.jpg
145 KB, 550x380
So /his/ has existed for 4 days now.
>Has a culture begun to develop?
>Has discourse maintained relative ideological neutrality/ professionalism?
>Have the topics been diverse or is there a favored corner for discussion?
>Are /generals/ appropriate for this board?
> Does the lack of /japan/ threads bother Moottwo?
>>
>>84711
Somewhat. Everyone seems to love Joan d'Arc.

Yes outside of obvious shitposts.

Yes. Just right now there's a topic about the history of food, the history of Rhodesia, and our favorite historical assassins. There was a history of holidays yesterday which was pretty neat. Many topics are going to be focused mainly on Rome, which is fine, but the WW2 / Hitler topics really need to slow down.

No. I thought they were at first, but it really does not make much sense to have them. They often turn into tripfaggotry anyway.

We had one on Nobunaga and WW2 not too long ago. truthfully, Japanese history isn't that interesting.
>>
File: z526.jpg (141 KB, 795x1024) Image search: [Google]
z526.jpg
141 KB, 795x1024
>>84814
>Joan d'Arc
>not Napoleon

This board is literally territory of the First French Empire
>>
>>84711
I think the trope of redirecting people to over boards is stupid because this board is obviously going to be filled from people across 4chan and they will bring their board cultures and discussion with it.
>>
File: napoleon.jpg (20 KB, 400x272) Image search: [Google]
napoleon.jpg
20 KB, 400x272
>>84861
This.
>>
I am surprised by that fact that there is almost no discussion on american history.

This website is dominated by Americans so that of america centric discussion is straange
>>
>>84814
>>Has discourse maintained relative ideological neutrality/ professionalism?
>Yes outside of obvious shitposts.

Gb2/lit/ tumblrina!
No u, /pol/! Fucking stormfags!

>lack of /japan/

If we get one more fucking Hiroshima thread he might nuke the board...
>>
I still doubt that /his/ will make it to the end of 2016 but I like what I've been seeing so far.
I think it brings together the best posters from all boards, and the discussions have remained, mostly, professional.

Personally, the sticky should be expanded. Add the bit on fallacies from /pol/, add some nice resources like http://learner.org/resources/series58.html#, and emphasize the fact that the content should be discussed, not the poster.

The only generals allowed should be semi-weekly congregations like christian threads or meditation threads.
>>
>>84927
Moat Americans interested in history already know a good bit of American history.
>>
File: 1446468010011.jpg (2 MB, 2074x2500) Image search: [Google]
1446468010011.jpg
2 MB, 2074x2500
>>84913

coming through lads
>>
>culture
You mean circle jerking about the "magnificence" of Napoleon and Rome?
>>
>>84945
maybe a link to a free scholarly database should be added to the sticky along with how to cite.
>>
>>84981
You're not wrong but I think it's important that the sticky emphasizes education over argumentation.
Ideally, that is what the board should be about.
>>
>>84711
not especially, although Napoleon is popular. pic related
so far, yes
yep
no. The Rome general was already nothing but memes when I went there last
I wish we had more Japanese stuff, but no many people know much about Japanese history outside of WW2

>>84861
>>84913
post more Emperor lads
>>
>>84945
Why do you think this board won't survive?

It's become my new home board in a matter of days.
>>
>>84711
i really think the best thread was the first
>meanwhile on roman /his/

absolutely fucking brilliant, most fun i've had on this website in years.
>>
>>84975
You're welcome to make your own thread and extol the cultural inheritance of Bangladesh that we're all living in
>>
>>85077
this, i think we need historical flags though, pick your own. that way we can also identify the /pol/tards because you know they will go nazi. the flag of the third reich will become /his/ australia
>>
I had my doubts that this board would make it very long, but I've grown attached to it I must admit and I can see it having a more permanent place on the sight.

>is there a culture
Napoleon. For no reason. Not even Alexander the Great, just that old French fool.

>have the topics been diverse
I would relatively.

>Are generals appropriate?
Depends on how general. If it's general of a specific time frame and culture I think it's acceptable.

>lack of /Japan/ thread bother mootwo?
It doesn't bother me that's for sure
>>
>>85117
no it wont spqr will
>>
File: z453.jpg (172 KB, 730x550) Image search: [Google]
z453.jpg
172 KB, 730x550
>>85059
>>
>>85157
you think? i wouldn't mind picking spqr. or imperial prussia.
>>
>>85117
Not only that. It would be fun as hell.
>>
>>84814
>Somewhat. Everyone seems to love Joan d'Arc.
Wtf? Why?
>>
>>84861
Napoleon and Alexander are God tier
>>
>>85283
It would promote roleplaying and deter actual discussion
>>
>>84711
>culture
It'll take a bit more time for substantial patterns in posting or OC to appear. I've seen some but most of it is from other boards or are just mspaint modifications of existing stuff, not that it's bad.
>>
>>85117
>that way we can also identify the /pol/tards because you know they will go nazi.

As fun as this sounds, flags will increase shitposting tenfold. It's a bad idea to give people more shit to make memes about.
>>
>>84711
All the Idiot weak redditfags shouting go back to /pol/ is really hampering discussion.
>>
>>85326
I don't think shit to make memes about is necessarily a bad thing. Native board culture has to start somewhere, and shitty memes will (hopefully) die out quickly.
>>
>>84927
>America
>history
Pick one
>>
>>85317
>>85326
this. We'd just be exchanging A FUCKING LEAF for history related memes
>>
>>84711
I've noticed a few things

>Still a war between /lit/, reddit, /pol/, and just general /his/torians
>Pretty much daily talk on WW2
>Hitler is talked about, a lot
>as is Rome
>board isn't ready to discuss religion without some shit flinging

My guess for the future?

/pol/ and the lefties will still butt heads, we'll probably see a daily WW2, Hitler, and Rome thread for the first few weeks at least

Eventually the board number will shrink and topics will become more obscure but more in depth.
>>
>>84711
I just wish the Holohoax posting and WE WUZ KINGZ meme can go back to /pol/
>>
>>85372
>board isn't ready to discuss religion without some shit flinging
To be quite honest I don't see this ever changing. It's hard to leave opinions at the door with that kind of thing regardless of which side you take.
>>
File: 1446366645861.png (406 KB, 872x1240) Image search: [Google]
1446366645861.png
406 KB, 872x1240
>>85372
>also excited for more look into our tan
>>
>>85395
hahah you soft cunt
>>
>>85395
I wish the gb2 >>>/pol/ meme would fuck off period.
>>
>>84711
All of the best OPs are too high-level and are forced off the board in an obscenely short amount of time.

Too much posting about military history and minority reports.

Too much obvious shitposting being accepted as legitimate posts, such as history of Rhodesia.

It's really just /pol/ + /lit/ auxiliary board and the posters there aren't high-quality contributors so I'd say this place is doomed.
>>
>>85395
I want the go back to /pol/ meme to go back to reddit
>>
>>85395
i think we waz kingz is here to stay but the pollacks will leave and the holohoax shit will follow
>>
I like how there are threads about books. I don't have an ideal setup atm to read pdfs but I appreciate the guerilla librarians here who share knowledge on the dl.
>>
>>85436
Actually It's WE WUZ KANGZ
>>
>>84861
I dunno where the fascination came from, but I'm going to ride it for as long as it's here.
>>
>>84711
How about some new rules?
>Starting post has to be a well defined question, not some general WHO WAS HITLER? WHY DID HE WEAR THE 'STACHE? or "Tell me about the Greeks"
>Posting sources should be considered compulsory
>Mods should encourage civil discussion and a culture of answering in a thread only if you can contribute
>No shitposting
>Political and social philosophy SHOULD be allowed, even difficult and /pol/ish questions, but again: well defined starting posts, use of sources and no shitposting

This board could be great, we just need to be strict about rules from the very start.
>>
File: CLiIU7xXAAEsN91.png (239 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
CLiIU7xXAAEsN91.png
239 KB, 600x600
>>84711

/HIS/ IS A CHRISTIAN BOARD

FILTHY SECULARISTS AND PAGANS NEED NOT APPLY

I WILL SPREAD THE WORD OF GOD HERE EVERYDAY

AMEN
>>
Seems like this board manages to link mount and blade to a lot of things
>>
File: 1446358741272.png (2 MB, 2608x1628) Image search: [Google]
1446358741272.png
2 MB, 2608x1628
I think we have a lot of interested people, the board is faster than I thought it would be and there is a surprising amount of knowledge about certain subjects.

Enjoying the art, sculpture, and war photographs quite a bit.

However, I've seen quite a few people who are obviously not arguing in good faith. Their specific ideological affiliation varies and is not particularly important - but it's obvious that they consider themselves on a holy war and absolutely violate all expectations of common courtesy and rules of argumentation.

It's very frustrating trying to communicate with people like this because you never really feel like you're on an even footing - they often behave like the proverbial chess-playing pigeon.

Also looking forward to development of a -tan (or two) but I accept that these things can take time to develop properly.
>>
>>85466
Also we need some "arbitrary" rules, such as prohibition of all discussion about holocaust denialism. Ayn Rand is clearly /lit/, but banning discussion about her in /lit/ during the first years did great for the board culture.
>>
>>85400
Just the marble man would work, the little girl could represent any of the /pol/ack boards
>>
>>85466
Enforcing more rules would kill this place before it even began, except for posting sources and your last point I like those.
>>
>>85306
cause she's a top qt you pleb
>>
>>85466
Having to cite would kill the board. Its would be to slow and scare the curious away.

We worked to hard to make this real to kill it.
>>
>>85472
The look of the girl (Historia I think) was the biggest argument. Eventually it was agreed to be left alone and develop naturally.

>>85505
The girl doesn't specifically target /pol/, she just spouts misconceptions and misinformation. That particular picture was made day 1 when /pol/ tardation was in full force, so mocking the whole "Jews did it!" was an easy way to show the kind of things she does.
>>
File: 1446352021810.png (83 KB, 724x531) Image search: [Google]
1446352021810.png
83 KB, 724x531
>>84927
The United States' history is very short compared to the rest of the world's - and Americans these days seem to be interested in reading the entrails of past empires to foretell the future of their own.

>>85372
I think too many people are too ready to see boogiemen from whatever board or site they stereotype certain views to be coming from, and it's stifling discussion. It may take a while for this to simmer down, but we need to develop our own healthy culture first.

>>85466
>>85490
Too many rules. If we can just focus on a "high level of discourse" I think we'll be fine.
>>
File: Pope_St_Pius_X.jpg (399 KB, 1122x1600) Image search: [Google]
Pope_St_Pius_X.jpg
399 KB, 1122x1600
>>85474
This
>>
>>85474
>>85607
I'm more of a theological noncognitivist but I'm happy to see that the Christfags have found a new home board. Christianity certainly has a tremendous amount of history behind it.
>>
File: z501.png (3 MB, 1089x1231) Image search: [Google]
z501.png
3 MB, 1089x1231
>>84861
>>84913
>>85059
>>85162
>>85315
>>85452
>proposed that the French should fight the British fleet with land artillery at Toulon
>he actually did it

>took command of a small conscript army in Italy with few supplies and planned to go after the Austrian capital
>he actually did it

>proposed an invasion of the Middle East through Egypt with the sole intent of reaching India by land and disrupting British trade
>he actually went and fucking did it

>"I'm going to become emperor of Europe"
>the motherfucker actually did it

>captured by the Coalition and forced into exile, then planned to escape and reclaim the throne
>HE ACTUALLY FUCKING DID IT

Was there ever a more titanic spirit in a man?
>>
>>85584
>Eventually it was agreed to be left alone and develop naturally.
Which could be said of the whole effort. Board culture needs more than four days to develop, and I feel like even this thread might be a little premature as an assessment of where the board is and where it should go.
>>
>>85372
>Still a war between /lit/, reddit, /pol/, and just general /his/torians
>reddit
What /pol/ calls the majority of 4chan when the majority of 4chan doesn't actually believe their shit.

An actual redditor would get triggered as fuck with all the Nazi threads, not just talking about Nazis. Just because someone wants to talk about Nazis without being a Nazi doesn't make them reddit.
>>
I doubt it will happen soon, but foresee a pagan heyday period like what happened to /x/.

They're all ready trying to relocate them here anyways.
>>
>>85636
I like that I can have real conversations about Christianity and other religions here without the constant back and forth of atheist shitposting vs fedora spamming.
>>
>>85656
I had a friend who was a huge fanboy of Napoleon. Over time, it rubbed off on me.

What a goddamn amazing figure.
>>
>>85667
>/pol/

What Reddit calls the majority of 4chan when the majority doesn't actually believe their shit. /his/ is actually infested with Redditors who get triggered so easy.
>>
>>84711

Ideological neutrality? What neutrality? /pol/ has already made it their mission to fill the board with political revisionism and racism.

It's a failed board 4 days after birth because it lacks serious moderation to make every claim backed.
>>
File: 1446356538608.png (6 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1446356538608.png
6 KB, 300x300
>>85706
>>85667
Come on you guys
Can we just be /his/ together now?
>>
>>85706
But the majority of /pol/ comes from SJWs. That's why they complain about free speech and being oppressed by SJWs, because SJWs have taken over their beloved reddit and they had to flee here like filthy refugees.
>>
File: 1445262457964.png (518 KB, 600x700) Image search: [Google]
1445262457964.png
518 KB, 600x700
>>85692
For the record, I'm from /pol/.

I can just understand that this isn't politics and to leave my political opinions in /pol/. I'm hoping /his/ can learn to be more objective.

Which is why the entire idea of /lit/ and /pol/ fighting over the board is flawed. The only way for a good /his/ board to remain is if both can learn to put their differences behind them for actual discussion.

As for the whole tan thing, you can make whatever you want dude. I'm not a drawfag, I just think tans are funny.
>>
>>85466
fuck, might as well skip that shit and just delete the damn board already.
>>
>>85744
This lads

All I want are the facts about what happened, and to discuss them. Not what appeals to leftist or rightist views.
>>
>>85759
literally what
>>
>>85780
He's right, a lot of /pol/acks escaped from Plebbit over the years.

I'm sure they've attracted quite a few people from tumblr as well. Raids tend to have that effect, as anyone who remembers 2006-2007 here will tell you.
>>
>>85744
I'm fine with old greek statues, but could we find one that's a little less cringey?
>>
File: 1446359859256.png (41 KB, 947x834) Image search: [Google]
1446359859256.png
41 KB, 947x834
>>85812
sry
>>
>>84896
There are certain boards that you REALLY don't want that from.
>>
>>85780
I can think of no other reason why /pol/ is so obsessed with the goings ons of reddit and tumblr except that they frequent those sites.

It's not like when /b/ used to say gb2gaia anyone on /b/ actually knew what gaia was.
>>
>>85848
What, /co/? /mlp/? /v/ (lol)?
>>
What are your guys' opinion on the '& Humanities' part of the board?
>>
>>85873
I happen to know a couple of /b/tards in real life who were heavy into Gaia back in 2006-2009

>>85880
I think it's great, history is connected to art, philosophy, etc and keeps the topic from being too restricted
>>
>>85872
>nugget threads
>threads on every nugget variant ever created
>>
>>85847
>it's just as easy for a political cartoon to mock one idea as another.
I think that's part of the charm of the Girl - Old man duo, in that either could be plausibly wrong, the former for being impressionable and prone to reinterpretation, the latter for being rigid and stuck to one interpretation of history. But this is something that should be left to the drawfags, I'm sure it'll all resolve itself in time.

>>85880
I think it is there. You do see a lot of discussion on philosophy, and some of the historical threads hinge on sociology as well. It takes the backseat to the history part, but I think that's fine.
>>
File: image.jpg (558 KB, 2194x1686) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
558 KB, 2194x1686
>>85341
>implying only Reddit hates you.
>>>/pol/
>>
>>85880
I feel like it's unnecessary.
>>
>>85872
/k needs to fuck off

weapon discussions are boring and knights vs samurai is pure cancer
>>
File: 19863_eagles_ticket_1960.jpg (316 KB, 1800x991) Image search: [Google]
19863_eagles_ticket_1960.jpg
316 KB, 1800x991
I'm enjoying the hell out of this board.
As an American I love learning about shit other then the couple hundred years I was taught about in school. The Ottoman empire, navel warfare in the 1500's, 12th century Japanese art, it's pretty cool.
Also my home board is /sp/ and I'm an Eagles fan so I need some distraction because you could talk about our last championship here and not be breaking any rules.
>>
>>85895
Thus proving when /pol/ calls someone a redditor, they're really just projecting.
>>
>>85847
You can at least attempt to look at politics objectively. I think the main issue /his/ has run into over the past few days is no one wants to. Everyone is swept up in the "my side will win" and "my side was right through history" that a lot of politically vocal individuals on both sides aren't able to acknowledge that history has shown it requires both for progress, and sometimes one works better than the other according to circumstance.

Really, the board just needs time so the opinion nerds can exhaust themselves out.
>>
>>85706
You realize that you just made his point for him, right?
>>
>>85913
>As an American I love learning about shit other then the couple hundred years I was taught about in school.
>Also my home board is /sp/
I'm against citations and overly high-level discourse for this reason - because imposing such a high standard would also mean putting up a high barrier for entry for people interested in the board from a casual background. Optimally the discussion shouldn't become too academic, even if it comes at the cost of memes or opinions.
>>
>>85880
It was good to add in.

Once the board matures, I think philosophy will be a popular subject, if it doesn't turn into
>kike on a stick!
>le tip! hat meme
>>
>>85903
>>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>85490
Jesus christ no
>>
File: 1432062046478.gif (381 KB, 512x481) Image search: [Google]
1432062046478.gif
381 KB, 512x481
>>84711
>>Are /generals/ appropriate for this board?
Never. Ever. EVER EVERF FUCKIGN EVER GOD FUCKIGN DAMN IT GENERALS ARE PURE UNDILTIED CANCER AND CHAT ROOMS DO NOT BELONG ON IMAGEBOARDS I AM WILLING TO EAT A BAN BECAUSE THIS PISSES ME OFF SO FUCKING MUCH
>>
>>85949
I doubt it. Religious folks are overly zealous and stay that way. See >>85474
>>
Too much name-calling and /his/tory channel-tier stuff now.

It'll probably get better eventually.
>>
>>85973
Because /k/ is a big reason why the majority of people are interested in /his/. War, conflict and everything involved are an integral part of history and probably the most interesting aspect for the average person. It's really difficult to tell where to draw the line beyond knights vs. Samurai (which might be more of a /tg/ thing?)
>>
>>85922
We're already here. The military fails thread is almost entirely sourced from us.

Most of us just leave the /k/ shit at home. I'm not going to start a caliber war here.
>>
>>85970
>day 4
I pray it gets better, if that shit does anything.

The only boards I've had decent discussion regarding God and religion was /x/ because it's such a small board and they're pretty open people, and once on /r9k/. Neither thread had any fedoras, and for 4chan in 2015 that's pretty goddamn impressive.
>>
>>84711
>Has a culture began to develop?
Yeah, Joan of Arc seems to be the board's tan for now. We have a strong presence of religious people. Lots of Romanboos/Byzantiboos too.

>Has discourse maintained relative ideological neutrality/professionalism?
Somewhat, but you can't expect much here.

Pretty diverse, lotta Rome/Byzantium and religion threads though. I'm not complaining - they're great topics and I'm glad they have such presence.

Yeah, as long as they don't target against a particular belief or ideology. (eg, no X hate generals)

Dunno, ask him
>>
>>85932
I neither frequent /pol/ or Reddit but I know for a fact /lit/ and Reddit fags get way more butthurt at /pol/ than vice versa.
>>
>>84711
I just found this place, let me get comfy
>>
>>85968
Whoa, calm down frogposter
We'll need you to stay not banned in our fight against general culture
>>
>>85947
Honestly I don't mind the citations, I'm currently reading a paper on the history of slings as weapons for hunting and warfare that someone posted here.

>>85983
Fuck you I'm from Philly, I can't spell.
>>
>>86010
The religious zealots have been actively trying to convert /pol/ for over a year. This of course all causes atheists to come out of the woodwork and post more. It's not going to get better, I'm afraid
>>
>>85656
most great conquerors are like that
>Cyrus
>Alexander
>Caesar
>Charlemagne
>Genghis
>Napoleon

And yes, Hitler. Say what you want about the man, but to go from being a street urchin to the most powerful man on the planet in like 25 years takes a formidable spirit
>>
People need to recognize that posters will not agree with them and will have radically different views than them.

That's okay. /his/ is neutral ground. /his/ is not here to replace /pol/ or wrest control from it. It is a different board with different interests in focus. /his/ should not be an echo-chamber or hugbox for ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE CULTIVATION OF KNOWLEDGE.
>>
>>86054
I don't think citations are bad in themselves, I just don't think they should be anything close to mandatory.
>>
>>86066
You still can't use this as a justification for making low-quality posts.
>>
>>85968
This. Generals have been the single most cancerous thing to happen to 4chan.
>>
>>86031
I think it's silly to believe that one side is deliberately trying to tear down society.

Liberal or conservative, both are just trying to shape society to an ideal state. Now you can disagree on what that ideal state is, but to think the other side is looking for the complete destruction of society is misguided.

I also believe history has shown us there is no true ideal state for society, as it all depends on what events are going around that society to determine the best course of action. It is when societies are unable to adapt that they fall.
>>
>>86081
There will invariably be low quality posts from all sides. Do what any sane person does, ignore it and move on. Better yet, educate the shit poster.
>>
>>86102
I think he meant old/previous/western society, not the idea of society as a whole.
>>
>>86058
the reason why Hitler is rarely considered in those lists (apart from controversy) is that we know his actual contribution to the planing of campaigns was at best minimal, at worst detrimental. So while he presided over a country that conquered a huge amount of territory, he isn't considered on of the great Warrior-Kings
>>
>>86029
>I neither frequent /pol/ or Reddit
HAHAHAHAHA. Lying faggot.

>>85963
Start a thread on /k/ with "/pol/ here" and see the reception that you get. It constantly amazes me how desperately you want to not be as isolated as you mouth breathers are.
>>
>>86102
>but to think the other side is looking for the complete destruction of society is misguided.

This is a history board, there is a ridiculous amount of proof to the contrary.
>>
>>86134
>HAHAHAHAHA. Lying faggot.

Says the bootyblasted Reddit fag
>>
>>86067
Eh I think it will be like any other board, sources aren't mandatory but you should have them when someone calls you out.
>>
>>86136
Examples?

I suppose a modern example would be extremist Islam's war on the western world, but do you know of any times a society was deliberately destroyed from the inside?
>>
>>86144
And you guys complain about the SJWs calling everything racist as a reflex action. For god's sake, man. Get it together.
>>
File: 1446359754565.png (288 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
1446359754565.png
288 KB, 720x1280
>>86144
>>86134
Damn you guys, get it together. You're not on /pol/ or /lit/ or /plebbit/ or wherever, can we please put /his/tory first?
>>
>>85895
>>85901
>>85904
>>85949
How would you feel if both /lit/ and /his/ had '& Humanities' as part of their boards? I'm not sure if any of you knew, but /lit/ did function as the de facto humanities board before /his/ was made; it's currently kvetching over all this. So maybe /lit/ should be the one to have it, not /his/? I'm not sure what would be best.
>>
>>86208
I think Humanities is just too broad. Sociology and Anthropology is intimately connected to History. Philosophy is so broad that it encompasses many things that are /his/ and many that aren't. Same for Law.
>>
>>86208
Yeah I'm well aware of /lit/'s culture but I would be happy to see its focus reduced. Some philosophical education is necessary to appreciate finer literature but I don't see the rest of the Humanities being appropriate, at all.
>>
>>86214
But there are a lot of furries on /k/, both liberal and conservative
>>
>>86193
No, that actually makes sense and I agree. There are absolutely groups that looked to replace an existing society with their own. While they're not exactly looking for the society to fall, they are looking for its establishment and traditions to fade and be replaced.
>>
>>85973
>>85912
As a /k/ommando literally the only reason I called that board my home was because of the military history threads and pics of military hardware. /k/ is a desolate place full of elitist richfags showing off their range queens, bitter and edgy vets acting like their opinion matters, mil wannabes lecturing on tactics, dumb trolls from /pol/ and /int/ and paranoid nutcases complaining about panic shortages (while promoting this exact panic mentality every time anything tangentially related to guns is uttered on the news). Then you get /v/ overflow with DAE PLAY GAEM IS KAY RELATED YES? that evolves over time to bait threads about WW2 battles using arguments so shitty not even WarThunder forums would stoop to. 20 board culture threads later, filter through the /a/ garbage (nips cant own guns and havent been a military power for 70 years why are you fetishizing the worst of weaboo and gun nut culture???) and the only content left is history and military picture threads. And there are some awesome contributors to those threads who would fit in nicely here.

What I am getting at is don't ostracize /k/ for wanting to talk about military history on /his/, we would much rather do it here with mature adults and people who have fresh, broader perspectives than deal with the 16 year old /v/irgins and /pol/acks on day/k/are who think shitposting is the epitome of discourse.
>>
>>86160
Sure, 1930's Christianity open alliance with fascism.That western culture never has and never will recover from. Or (inb4 go back to /pol/) Communist regimes. And yes more recently Islam that undermines western society entirely.
>>
>>86165
>Go back to /pol/
>Go back to reddit
>A-and you say we are the hypocrites!

We're both doing the same thing retard only I'm not serious.
>>
The board has been pretty good so far.

One issue I've noticed is all the people constantly fearful of this board turning into /pol/. I've honestly seen more posts about that than about actual /pol/ content.
>>
>>86193
Most of the people you identify as 'working to destroy society' may not realise they are actually doing so, or that the dialectical tools they are wielding were fashioned with only that as their purpose.

Not everybody on the other side is really an enemy.
>>
>>86208
History is such a broad field that it's bound to incorporate all manners of fields. You can easily insert a topic about the history of mechanical engineering and have a bunch of information about how a certain contraption worked in detail and it would be on-topic.

As for me personally, I don't see a problem if things like philosophy would be discussed on both boards. It's obvious that here the discussions will have a leaning towards history.
>>
>>86257
>"mature adults"
>namecalling

Okay.
>>
>>86208
I think /lit/ should be allowed to continue to do so as they have, but have /his/ as it's official board.

In the same fashion, I'm also fine with /pol/ continuing their /his/ threads they've housed for a while.

Expecting topics to not cross boards occasionally, especially boards with a history of that topic, is unrealistic.
>>
>>86280
/a/ is deathly afraid they'll turn into /v//
/jp/ and /tg/ are afraid they'll turn into /a/.
/k/ is afraid they'll turn into /a/ or /pol/.
Every board has its boogeymen.
>>
>>86279
Except half of /pol/ comes from reddit. That's why they're so obsessed with SJWs and reddit in the first place.

Also, it's in the stornigger guide to recruiting and infiltration to join a group, and act that anyone who doesn't agree with you is an outsider.
>>
>>86181
You don't want their bullshit. Trust me on this.
>>86214
You're just adorable.
>>
>>86262
Alright, fair enough.
>>
>>86309
Everything makes sense to me except /k/ and /a/
I just looked and only one thread even starts with an anime picture.
Is /k/ just trying to fit in? I've never been there before
>>
>>86313
You have no idea what you're talking about but it wont even let me reply because it thinks my comment is spam... I wonder who's behind this...
>>
>>86370
there was a big backlash to all the /ak/ shit going on a year or two back. It's died down since.
>>
>>84711
this board is absolutely terrible

nobody actually wants to discuss anything, its all rote memorization of basic facts or shit looked up on wikipedia, every single thread is clogged up with "hurr back to le reddit" "fuck u stormfag le pol is that way", people make the same threads all day and ignore or disparage potentially interesting ones, mods will ban you for nearly anything and everyones a pretentious asshole with delicate skin as thin as paper

ive been looking forward to /his/ for a long time but ive been very let down
>>
>>86313
Except it's clear you have no point of reference because you don't know what you're talking about. pol hates Reddit(specifically srs and marxist subreddits) because it is mecca and home to the craziest social justice warriors who don't allow discussion and say the go back to pol thing. Most people who fled Reddit went to eightchan.
>>
>>86370
/ak/ threads on /k/ are image dumps with no discussion.
>>
>>86393
>/pol/ subtle
>ever
Pick one zoroastrians
I've been on /pol/ since it was /n/ and then /new/
It's not very subtle
>>
>>86399
I think it's going to take some time before we figure out how to make good OPs
One of /his/'s biggest problems right now is we have too many threads. Everybody's trying to come up with a pet thread idea every ten seconds and it's diluting the posts.
>>
>>86347
I suppose the difference I had set was that one wants the destruction of the society and it's people while the other wants change.

So if I were to do this to a city, if I were looking for its destruction I would aim to cause instability leading to anarchy, revolt, or leaving it open to foreign invaders. This would result in the society, culture, and people to be eliminated.

Whereas if I were looking to year it down, I would instead slowly implement cultural and political changes until the traditions and society that had existed no longer does, instead replaced by a new society of the same people.

Simular, but in mind different enough to warrant clarity on being two different things.
>>
>>86424
>the real magnitude of black babies that they're killing?
You shut your fucken mouth son, that is one of the best things that's ever happened to them or the rest of the USA.

Margaret Sanger did nothing wrong.
>>
>>86453
>>86399
All right, who in this thread has actually experienced a ban here? And for what?
I'll ask again in a few days to catch people who've caught themselves a 3-day ban.
>>
>>86461
Thread is gone
But you're probably right
>>
>tfw got the first quads on the board ever
>it was in reference to Byzantines
Feels good man
>>
File: I say.gif (2 MB, 500x209) Image search: [Google]
I say.gif
2 MB, 500x209
History has a pro /pol/ bias so there will always be bootyblasted "Get back to /pol/" fags on /his/.
>>
>>86462
There were a number of trap threads in a /b/ raid that were all swiftly deleted.

I imagine /b/ having not tried again means they had been banned, but who fucking knows with /b/.
>>
File: 1446384440398.png (79 KB, 221x228) Image search: [Google]
1446384440398.png
79 KB, 221x228
I want the people trying to make /his/ pick a side to leave. /His/tory is neutral just like it is in the real world.
>>
>>86338
>You're just adorable.
It's wonderful that you seriously believe an entire board can be united in being anti-another-board, but that's not how the real world works. His observation that /k/ would be inherently quite close to /pol/ comes from some naturally shared principles, at least given /k/'s subject matter.

Can't be a hoplophobe and be a /k/ regular, and can't be a proper hoplophile if one isn't willing to use weapons when needed. Being willing to kill in self defense implies a belief in differences in the worth of individuals, and a belief in such differences will naturally follow into some /pol/ principles. Just need to worm yourself down the implications to find stuff.
>>
>>86478
I got quads when bumping a thread I had created yesterday, ended up saving the thread. Actually had some pretty good discussion.
>>
>>86493
That's the funniest thing I've read all dday, family
>>
>>86493
>just like it is in the real world.
what makes you think its neutral?
>>
>>86487
how will the historians write about the recent invasion of europe
>>
>>86493
>>86493
most naive post of the week
back to /a/ with you
>>
>>86518
Bad shit happens and good shit happens. It doesn't favour anyone
>>
>>84711
>>Has discourse maintained relative ideological neutrality/ professionalism?

hahahahaha no

this board has basically been /pol/ v2 so far. With some noteable exceptions
>>
>>86493
>history is neutral

No it's not, anon. History simply is, that's it. It doesn't lean toward something, it doesn't have a conscience of its own.
>>
>>86514
In the case of New York City, I'd say the second. I'll definitely read into it further, but it sounds as though it was grab political power through instability.
>>
>>86493

>Not recognizing the implicit bias in any historical interpretation

We need to accept that more than one fucking historiographical perspective is possible. At the moment, if you post from a Marxist perspective you get "gb2/lit/" or "gb2tumblr." If you post from any sort of perspective broadly defined as conservative, you get "gb2/pol/." I haven't actually seen any posts from a women's and gender history perspective yet, but I'm sure they'll get redirected to tumblr or reddit, too.

It doesn't help that we have /pol/ and anti-/pol/ retards shitting up every thread and baiting by pretending to be each other while advancing 0/10 shitpost arguments.
>>
>>86549
Aka neutral.
>>
>>86462
i posted a historical quotes thread and got banned because the quote tangentially mentioned jews
>>
>>86561
The thing is, holocaust denial and "hitler did nothing wrong" isn't mainline conservative opinions, while a materialistic view of history fits within a marxist theory of history
>>
>>86406
Nice revisionist history. Blame eightchan. /pol/ hates (lurks) some reddit boards. It's really clear /pol/ didn't come from reddit. No, they're native 4channers, that's why the rest of 4chan hates it.
>>
>>86605
How about we stop with this retarded rhetoric on both sides and just agree that /pol/ is a shit board, but no more shit than any other board
>>
>>86523
There won't be any historians.
>>
>>86313
Im not some insecure faggot whos thinks having an allegiance to a fucking internet forum is srs bsns so I'll come out and say I use reddi and 4chan about equally (and not the cancer r/4chan).

Heres a nice tl;dr reddit like answer for you to upvote to the left.

Reddit is simultaneously a liberal shithole full of the obnoxious, smug, faux nerd college hipster SJW types and a shithole full of neoreactionary edgelords, brogressives and perverts and people complaining about the SJWs/neos/circlejerks. Reddit is also browsed by millions of people who could browse for months and never see any of this - something 4chan is infamous and takes pride in its immediate off putting nature.

Peel back the skin and Reddit is just as, if not more fucked than 4chan. 4chan can do horrible things but then again, everyone knows its history. Reddit prides itself in its shiny veneer covering a pile of smug patronizing shit, that everyone takes way to goddamn seriously. When Reddit is insufferable, it is insufferable because millions of real people sincerely believe the shit they are spewing. You can tell who is reddit by how adamant they are about their "fringe" opinion, be it whining about SJWs, whining about free speech, or whining about not having a hugbox.

/pol/ regularly displays all three, and seeing how r/4chan is flooded with /pol/ submissions with upvotes into the 3000 ranges, it is pure fucking projection whenever someone goes >>>/reddit/

/pol/ is literally the most redditor board on 4chan.
>>
File: byzantine quads.png (7 KB, 571x278) Image search: [Google]
byzantine quads.png
7 KB, 571x278
>>86478
I still have a thread open in another tab, with the Halloween CSS
>>
>>86489
lol yes I saw that raid
was pretty funny
>>
>>86493
History is written by the victors, son. Imagine how different things would be if another side had won at any time in history.
>>
File: 1446425787402.gif (2 MB, 235x150) Image search: [Google]
1446425787402.gif
2 MB, 235x150
>>86630
>I use reddi and 4chan about equally
>>
>>86588

Those are shitposts, though. I'm talking about threads utilizing imperial history (which is still, despite its attempted reconciliation with postmodernist complaints in the 90s, thoroughly conservative) or posts arguing that culture > material conditions. I'd rather leave the debates on biological determinism vs environmentalism off the board completely, but since it's history + humanities they are sometimes relevant, and you know each side is just going to shitpost "gb2/strawmanplaceyouareobviouslyfromifyoudisagreewithme/, now I don't need evidence"

If Holocaust threads could be kept to a single general they'd be less of a cancer. I've seen like 10 Nazi revisionist threads today, fuck.

I would of course like it if Marxists could ever stfu, too, but that won't happen, either. So instead we should at least attempt to have a relatively reasonable atmosphere wherein shitposts are ignored and debate is actually supported by source materials.
>>
>>86618
/pol/ is a great board with intelligent posters that get other people mad and I wouldn't have it any other way. That being said it is far from perfect and it is prone to beating people over the head with their memes, which doesn't earn them many friends.
>>
>>86562
Neutral implies choice, thought, intent. History has none of that. History just happens, that's it.

What can be neutral is its interpretation, but that implies that people are capable of being completely neutral regarding complex matters.
>>
This is my first time here, but I fall off the internet for weeks at a time. Glad to see this is a thing. Someone else (or a few others) mentioned this being their 'home board' and that's exactly how I feel. Can't stand my old boards, reddit is just terrible... When I'm on 4chan I'm wasting time. Might as well learn or at the least find new topics to learn about.
>>
>>86536
teach me your ways senpai
>>
>>86630
Only semi related but I had this conversation with a friend of mine who's a filthy redditfag
>so hey I went to /pol/ the other day
>stuff gets posted on reddit all the time from /pol/ and it's hilarious
>so I checked it out for myself
>and it's HORRIBLE
I don't know what kind of shit gets posted on Reddit from /pol/ but I've barely seen anything from /pol/ that amused me
/pol/ is so incredibly shit, but the worst part is how adamant they are that it's a good board and they're the only sane ones in the world
>>
>>86558
/his/ is being archived on desustorage, anon
>>
>>86522
Honestly, I have no idea. There are groups out there that promote the idea that PP is actively racist, but I think it's simply true that young black women have less impulse control and are far more likely to end up with VERY unwanted pregnancies that abortion is more obviously an answer for. This is even more of a problem because of the delinquency of the fathers, which wasn't even a real problem in Sanger's time.

It would probably reduce black abortions but not by much.
>>
>>86498
I'll take shit I never said for $500 Alex

>/k/: Shall not be infringed
>/pol/: Shall not be infringed... Unless we don't like you.

And this is why we will always hate you.
>>
>>86639
It was a right of passage.

You're not a true board until /b/ raids you. /his/ became official on November 1st.
>>
File: char_35034.jpg (18 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
char_35034.jpg
18 KB, 210x240
I noticed people generally don't know jack shit about any other history other than the general narrative thought in schools.

There's not even a remote interest or even knowledge in history of regions such as the balkans,or eastern and central europe aswell and the history of their individual states. Not even gonna mention the middle east let alone ancient civilizations. Everything here is "meta" and too general as far as history is concerned.

Whoever said ITT that this board is filled with "professionals" seriously needs to finish Highschool and attend college first. Because that's what the current demographic of the board seems to be, judging by the types of threads generally discussed.
>>
>>86647
The fact that you seem to legitimately believe that worries me slightly
>>
>>86536
lol I remember that post
are you one of those petulant shitposters that refuses to discuss any topic in good faith?
>>
>>86674
New York is still also plagued by crime it seems.

The world's ills truly are caused by men in the quest for power.
>>
>>86646
You're being a bit too authoritarian with asking for citations and evidence. History and humanities are not sciences, there is little absolute truth to be found, despite where your sources come from.

I agree that people should back up their claims, preferably with verifiable information, but not many people are interested in doing assignments or homework on their Thai tapestry community. I also don't want discussions to boil down to who has the more acceptable/popular/ better source because that will skew discussions toward academia which is imperfect.
>>
>>86536
Now there's the nuance /pol/ is known for
>>
File: 1442225737251.jpg (11 KB, 228x211) Image search: [Google]
1442225737251.jpg
11 KB, 228x211
>>86624
oh there will be
>>
>>86702
The fact that you don't believe it worries me slightly.
>>
>>86737
Then I guess we're just going to be slightly worried with no resolution.
>>
>>86686
Dude so many people on /pol/ swear by SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.
the board is so diverse it's impossible to build an accurate strawman.
>>
>>86751
Oh, it's dead and in the archive already, quote links work for archived threads
>>
>>84814
>>85306
>>86011

Remember: she was likely raped by multiple English guards, likely in a gangbang
>>
>>86725

I didn't necessarily mean that every single post needs to be accompanied by a properly cited primary source. Obviously that isn't befitting of a chan board. However, posting a secondary or tertiary (or reasonably relevant internet source) when appropriate would be a huge step up, especially when making specific claims ("X # died," "this didn't really happen, it's a misconception," etc). You don't really need sources for most meta-discussion or opinions, anyway, which has so far been the main focus.

Sources are appropriate sometimes, even if it's just the title of an interesting work you pulled a quotation from.
>>
File: image.png (189 KB, 1255x873) Image search: [Google]
image.png
189 KB, 1255x873
>>86647
Tell me about how the Israelis did 9/11 with micronukes and holograms again!

Oh, and are the Khazar Jews still trying to ethnically cleanse the Ukraine?
>>
>>86764
That doesn't mean a Black Panther patrolling the streets with a shotgun thinks Hitler was the coolest guy ever.
>>
>>84711
/int/ has found its way through the word filter
The way this is gonna end is in tears tbqhwyl(to be quite honest with you lad)
>>
File: 1429577560708.png (142 KB, 1380x1600) Image search: [Google]
1429577560708.png
142 KB, 1380x1600
Whats the opinion on r/badhistory and r/shitwehraboossay? They have mutual interest in combatting shitty meme history and they are actually quite humorous in doing so. Alliance in exchange for shared vision and 30 gold, plus navigation and chemistry?
>>
>>86714
>New York is still also plagued by crime it seems.
Not really, New York nowadays is one of the safest cities in the world, particularly in regards to violent crime.
>>
>>86755
Or you could just stop worrying and learn to love the memes. Shed your sensibilities, and reduce yourself to someone on the level of a /pol/ poster. It's a huge board, with diverse members and often intelligent discussion if you know where to look and how to find it.
>>
>>86797
I knew /pol/ was mostly leddit crossboarders
>>
>>86787
Does /k/ not call them redguards any more?
>>
>>86799
usury is pretty violent anon
>>
>>86811

Not that guy, but if you think /pol/ is the main source of so-called "Wehraboos" you should really read more internet history forums. They are a universal occurrence.

The main claim I see on that bingo that would get a lot of agreement on /pol/ is "Stalin was worse."
>>
File: happynigradream.jpg (131 KB, 693x900) Image search: [Google]
happynigradream.jpg
131 KB, 693x900
>>86800
nigras do be religious though
>>
>>86797
/pol/ isn't Wehraboos, they're NatSocs
by that I mean like their archnemesis the ideological commies, they don't dwell on military part, more... say, grand strategy.
(they love HoI 2: Kaiserreich)
>>
File: jeff.jpg (28 KB, 359x296) Image search: [Google]
jeff.jpg
28 KB, 359x296
/pol/ finds a way
>>
>>86792
I didn't know that's what was being implied. I just wanted to make it clear that /pol/ is not a unified hivemind and can not be made into a strawman faithfully.
>>
File: 9780312427184.jpg (284 KB, 646x1000) Image search: [Google]
9780312427184.jpg
284 KB, 646x1000
>>86825
5-star post
>>
>>86808
It's kind of hard to tell when any disagreement is met with "gb2reddit"
>>
>>86841
what a rebel.
fight the power, anon
>>
>>86876
>a direct effect of the history of the city.
I don't think accepting this justification will make /his/ a very productive board. Speculative history threads from a future perspective might as well be /pol/.
>>
>>86824
/pol/ doesn't shut down every thread it takes issue with. It does take great pleasure in memeing at posts that clearly are anti-/pol/, bait, ignorant to the board culture, and newfaggy, though.

Don't get mad that they didn't accept you at first. /pol/ is purposefully abrasive.

>>86849
/pol/ is not one person.
>>
>>86874
I didn't even bring it up and have never gone on stormfront, ever. Don't you see how your memes cloud your judgement?
>>
>>86710
You will never grasp "true" history, only descriptions of it so the idea that history is "neutral" is complete utter bullshit.
>>
>>86861
Maybe you should actually go back to reddit????
>>
>>86925
>2015
>taking the bait
COME ON NOW
>>
>>86764
>>86808
Isn't /pol/ one of the biggest boards? /b/ is always the biggest but I remember seeing a chart showing that it is no slouch compared to /a/ and /v/.
>>
>>86959
I could not hope to contain your wild spirit.
Fly free, son. Go to where the wind takes you.
>>
So when do we decide on how /his/-tan will look like?
>>
>>86966
Thanks john Oliver I forgot what year it was.
Could you tell me what year it is just one more time?
>>
>>87010
Keep on reposting the ones you like or draw an alternative yourself, and it'll sort it out eventually.
>>
>>87010
Three years from now.
>>
File: 1446360504207.jpg (215 KB, 1401x788) Image search: [Google]
1446360504207.jpg
215 KB, 1401x788
>>87015
>TWO
>THOUSAND
>FIF
>TEEN
>>
>>86925
Quiet, Nazi boy.
>>
>>84711
There really isn't much history being discussed here. There are a few threads about articles, papers, books, etc. but for the most part it looks like /pol/ 2.0.
>>
>>87010
Moe Joan of Arc or Moe Napoleon
>>
>>87011
It really was an effective purge when moot messed around with the kek shit
I still miss you, moot, but hiro does done a really good job as well
>>
>>84711
I want underage and memeposters to leave. Most of them are not as funny as they think they are.
>>
>>87041
Oh thank you god I mean science I am CUM
>>
>>87043
I'm a libertarian....
>>
>>85706
/lit/ hates reddit though, it's just well read and has actual communists. They're hated here.

/lit/ also has racist jokes, we just hate the moronic discussion that stormfags bring.
>>
>>87090
I and a few others have compared /pol/ to Israel before; there is a comparison to be made between the board (and its spiritual predecessors) to the troubled state.
>>
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 300x240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 300x240
/pol/ is the reason I don't want to take part in any discussion about Islam or WW2. It always almost the same conversation in every thread.
>>
>>87054
I'm actually in another thread talking about something I want to talk about but it's not really going anywhere. Half the thread has blatant shitposting about who is superior.
>>
>>85341
Literally EVERY fucking board hates /pol/ because you have the most obnoxious crossboarders who blindly bring in their politics and then tell people they're reddit for asking them fuck off with their nazi memorabilia in an EVA thread.

/pol/ is the most delusional board I've ever seen.
>>
>>87113
That's just silly. logic and better ideas trump shit ones. If you won't enter a thread because you can't refute the points, you're sheltering yourself into ignorance.
>>
>>87127
Most of the people on /pol/ who don't wander out to other boards like little stormtroopers are actually quite intelligent and friendly. You're right that the crossboarders are the most obnoxious. They're not really "from" /pol/ in the sense that some us are (having been there for years and years) so they take our ridiculous shitposting about JIDF a bit too seriously.
>>
>>87127
I like Nazi memorabilia but I dislike /pol/. Wat do?
>>
>>87127
>Hates /pol/ for generalizing people and calling them Reddit
>Generalizes /pol/
>>
>>87140
No, I'm just sick talking about it.
>>
>>87151
1. Go to /pol/
2. Make it better
3. Profit!
>>
>>87161
Then yeah if you don't want to talk about those subjects, don't enter those threads.
>>
>>87150
>>87151
>>87154
This is from your catalogue today. Can you really say you are not infested with morons?

There's barely even politics there.
>>
>>85983
>Britain and France
>Naval warfare
>17th century
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>87186
/pol/ is politics and current events
>>
>>87186
I don't see anything wrong here, some of these threads seem interesting.
>>
>>87121
then i would suggest that you reformat in a way that is more attractive to the users here.

because you can basically go two ways.

you can complain that other people don't like what you like.

or you can adapt to others and post in a way that is more sensitive to the other people's tendencies.
>>
>>87179
I would like to talk about it, but /pol/ railroads it into the same old conversations as always.
>>
>>87213
Yes, except your politics is dominated by sensationalist conservative bullshit and your current events is all banal racist shitposting.

Look objectively at what your board. You guys are 4chan's biggest joke next to /b/, no one likes or respects you for good reason.
>>
>>87186
other than "how does this make you white boys feel" all of that looks perfectly fine if you dont hate fun

and even troll threads like that can spawn interesting conversation, if you arent afraid of internet conflict of course
>>
>>87186
the catalog isn't the entire board, obviously.

but you're free to make whatever thread you want there.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.