[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You know how we always have self-appointed "experts"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: PearlHarborBombed.jpg (118 KB, 490x559) Image search: [Google]
PearlHarborBombed.jpg
118 KB, 490x559
You know how we always have self-appointed "experts" predicting when World War 3 will happen during our times, did any "pundits" or "experts" predict World War 1 or 2 to happen before they happened during that period of history?
>>
>>922915
You know how some cunts in Post World War 1 referred to the treaty of Versailles as an armistice? Precisely they were thinking that there would be Part 2.

Though it was rather highly likely given how
1) People (like in Germany) thought that Versailles was harsh.
2) People (like in France) thought Germany wasn't destroyed enough.

And turned out they were right.

What separates WWII predictors and WIII "predictions" is that WWII had the benefit of a shitty peace going for them while WWIII doesn't.

Instead, we got nuclear weapons and the emergence of a globalized economy.
>>
>>922915
>This is not peace. It is an armistice for twenty years

Also before WWI people expected a big european war eventually but I don't think anybody really imagined that it would be on the scale that it was. Bismarck even said that if a great European war happened, it would start with "some damn foolish thing in the Balkans."
>>
>>923355
That'll never happen. The economies of Europe are so connected that if one nation were to wage war on another great damage would befall the attacker. Just as it would the attacked.
>>
>>922915
USA was on war alert when Pearl Harbor happened so yes, I'd imagine there were some people who were expecting a war to break out.
>>
>>922915
>Post-WWII
>Not Shitty Peace.
Yeap, Cold War was a breeze.
>>
>>923401
Compared to literally any other period in human history, the Cold War was a breeze. It also happened to be the period that saw the greatest growths in economy, standards of living, and technology.
>>
File: Cold_War_alliances_mid-1975.svg.png (108 KB, 800x409) Image search: [Google]
Cold_War_alliances_mid-1975.svg.png
108 KB, 800x409
>>923401
Oh I'm sorry, did WWIII followed 20 years after II? No? Then it was a breeze.

The situation of the Cold War was the matter of New Players stepping up the plate, as the colonial empires of Europe and Japan got BTFO and became American Peripheries. WWII was total victory: the instigators were destroyed to the point that one is a US Aligned State the other was cloven in twain, and Europe lost its global hard power.
>>
I remember seeing something about Durant predicting war between America and Japan.
I looked it up, and he made that prediction in 1935.
B R A V O
R
A
V
O
>>
File: 1459460159726.jpg (135 KB, 680x1020) Image search: [Google]
1459460159726.jpg
135 KB, 680x1020
>>922915
>did any "pundits" or "experts" predict World War 1 or 2 to happen before they happened during that period of history?

Teddy Roosevelt predicted WW1. And after he negotiated peace between Russia and Japan, he knew the Japs would soon go on some insane expansionist campaign in the pacific, and the America would be their main enemy, and that America would win this war.

And Otto von Bismark also knew a world war would start in europe over shit in the Balkans.

both of them were pretty much geniuses and renaissance men
>>
>>923412
Barring the confusing statement "cloven in Taiwan" like you're not honestly implying that the Chinese gov started the way with Japan ishygddt.

Looking at the way things are now. Emerging power building up a Navy to challenge the predominant power. A region with an elaborate web of alliances. A volatile nuclear armed state. I think that everyone might be underestimating the danger of the current Asian climate. All you need is a few "dumb and energetic" generals in China or Japan (but more likely China) and you could have an American Ship being fired on.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.