[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mythology Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 26
Talk about gods, heroes, creatures, monsters, etc

Which mythology do you enjoy the most? No need to limit yourself to norse and greek.
>>
http://strawpoll.me/5892279

>>
File: rusgod1.jpg (147 KB, 885x361) Image search: [Google]
rusgod1.jpg
147 KB, 885x361
>>36138
>Which mythology do you enjoy the most?
Slavshit. I like how it has many shared elements with Hindu stuff while maintaining a unique feel
>Laima is a Baltic goddess of fate. She was associated with childbirth, marriage, and death; she was also the patron of pregnant women.One of the most important duties of Laima is to prophesy (Lithuanian: lemti) how the life of a newborn will take place. Sometimes there was only one Laima, while in other cases three laimas would give often contradictory predictions. The final pronouncement would be irrevocable and not even Laima herself could change it
>>
>>36138
>mythology
>not having Egypt
>>
greek > egyptian > norse

Tbh
>>
Could Indra take Thor in a fight?
>>
>>36648
this isnt dragon ball z
>>
File: dat isis ass.png (435 KB, 2000x4389) Image search: [Google]
dat isis ass.png
435 KB, 2000x4389
>>36618
Egypt needs more qts who aren't dangerously close to furry desu
>>
>>36648
Better question is if Indra could defeat Jormungandr or if Thor could defeat Vrtra
>>
What is the power level of mythological dragons?
>>
File: hermespainting.jpg (1 MB, 1280x1677) Image search: [Google]
hermespainting.jpg
1 MB, 1280x1677
Post gods that are literally you.

For me it's Hermes - Intelligent, nihilistic and with a wicked sense of humor
>>
>>36701
>bringing back her husband to life only to impregnate her
Literal semen demon
>>
>>36648
Who would win in a drinking competition?
>>
What myths involve a man building a house to appease a female supernatural being?
>>
File: Hylas_and_the_Nymphs.jpg (339 KB, 1280x794) Image search: [Google]
Hylas_and_the_Nymphs.jpg
339 KB, 1280x794
>>36876
Oil on canvas related; it's me and my bitches
>>
>>36990
>Hylas
>god

Um. You're also a homo.
>>
>>36175
>beta c ucks voting hephaestus
>>
Canaanite Religion

Pantheon made into demons by their War God's followers, who then turned his slice of the world into a little stomping ground for eternal conflict.
>>
>>36876
Don't be silly anon, that's the Flash
>>
>>36175
>ath*na
>not Ares
top cucķ
>>
>>36520
>Laima
>Saule
>Milda

>slavshit

triggered
>>
>>36981
Not exactly what you're looking for but in Scandinavian mythology, there's a story about a giant builder who makes a deal with the gods that if he could build a stronghold that could protect men from other giants before summer, he would be given the goddess Freyja as a wife. Of course things go wrong for him when the gods see that the builder is almost finished and decide to send Loki to seduce his horse away, who was doing most of the work in the construction. Loki then has sex with the builder's horse and gives birth to Odin's steed Sleipnir while the builder flies into a rage at the realization that he won't be able to finish the building and Thor comes and bashes his brains in with his hammer.
>>
File: Väinämöinen.jpg (272 KB, 800x1070) Image search: [Google]
Väinämöinen.jpg
272 KB, 800x1070
Considering these threads will be full of Roman/greek (same shit, different package) or Germanic gods, I'll post something different instead. Finnish mythology. Väinämöinen, the main protagonist of Kalevala (national epic)
>>
>>36138
Which religion is the most lewd?

I already know most of the crazy antics in Hellenism, as well as the time Horus had no homo buttsex with Seth in order to save Egypt.
>>
File: s130_vainamoisensoitto.jpg (104 KB, 608x742) Image search: [Google]
s130_vainamoisensoitto.jpg
104 KB, 608x742
>>37496
>>
>>37451
Baltic pantheon is very close to Slavic pantheon. For instance, Lithuanian Perkūnas and Velnias are basically the same as Russian Perun and Veles, and Lithuanians and Poles share the tradition of burning Morė/Marzanna to drive away winter
I think the biggest difference is the absence of god triads (like Laima, Kārta and Dēkla/ Laima, Dalia, Giltinė, or Patrimpas, Perkūnas, and Patolas) in Slavic mythology
>>
>>37486
Yeah, not what I'm looking for.
>>
>>37164
Remove Canaanite. That land belongs to the chosen people. One God, not many.
>>
File: 1917916.jpg.png (40 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1917916.jpg.png
40 KB, 184x184
>>37496
>Roman/greek
The Roman gods are not simply borrowed versions of the Greek, they're independent evolutions of Indo-European gods that became increasingly synchronized with the Greek pantheon once Hellenistic influence began to overcome Rome.

Even so, they're still different upon closer inspection.
>>
>>36175
why so many votes on athena?

and no one would have picked hera had that >implication not been made
>>
>>36138
I really likd Greek and Norse but lately I've been immersing myself within Hindu mythology via wikipedia.

Not sure of any good books to better read up on it. I like how Hindu mythology seems so big with tons of Gods. Reminds me of a comic book universe.
>>
>>38270
Krishna is like the shounen protagonist. I like the idea if his "Vishvarupa" form aka Omni-form where he reveals his true power and indentity as God of everything.

Hindu mythology needs more video game and anime adaptation. Naruto uses a little and Asura's wrath was based on it but I want something more direct.
>>
>>38069
This.

The Roman religion when the gods were at their more numinous is interesting as fuck.
>>
>>38270
Find yourself a (for adults) version of the Mahabharata if you have the basic wiki knowledge of Hindu mythology.
>>
>>38416
>Hindu mythology
>anime adaptation.
Say no more senpai
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5B1wKHT_hY

Also, Hanuman the monkey god is seen as a direct influence on Sun Wukong who in turns inspired Saiyans and Dragon Ball
>>
>>38536
Holy fuck we were shown this every year in school , never considered it to be anime
>>
>>36175
I wish Thanatos was on that list.
>>
>>38661
try not to stab yourself on those edges

it's a poll for olympians, thanatos is little more than an anthropomorphic personification.
>>
File: procrustes.jpg (108 KB, 800x602) Image search: [Google]
procrustes.jpg
108 KB, 800x602
ITT: Mythological characters that remind you of yourself

For me it's Procrustes - Intelligent, Nihilistic, and with a wicked sense of humor
>>
File: Hephaestus.jpg (47 KB, 488x650) Image search: [Google]
Hephaestus.jpg
47 KB, 488x650
>your wife was forced to marry you
>she cheats on you
>you are aware of it
>you capture your wife and the bull while they are together
>calls the other gods so they can all watch them
>they all laugh at you instead
Hephaestus is the ultimate C U C K

no wonder he is leading the poll >>36175 since all the beta nerds relate to him
>>
>>38885
This will not become a meme
>>
>>36175
Give Hera a break. She would probably have been the most perfect loving wife if her husband wasn't such a shit. Seriously she's the goddess of fucking marriage, of course she would get angry when he cheats on her, it's like mocking her very nature. And she was still always loyal to him even when he didn't deserved it. Fuck Zeus she should have married Hades.

That being said everyone in this pantheon is a cunt except for Hestia.

>>38256
The original waifu. Pure tomboy that helps heroes and teaches people, while making strong gods like Ares and Poseidon look pathetic. Plus not a man hating dyke like artemis.
>>
How do you feel about the idea that the Kretan religion was solely focused around a Mother Goddess?

I personally think that there was at least one, probably two, masculine deities in the Minoan pantheon which would have shared devotion from the Kretan people.

One which would be the Bull of Heaven god and one that would later become correlated with the Mycenaean Poseidon.
>>
File: Processed_SAM_loki.jpg (1 MB, 903x1125) Image search: [Google]
Processed_SAM_loki.jpg
1 MB, 903x1125
>>38885
>intelligent, nihilistic, with a wicked sense of humor and also into CBT
>>
File: nile milf.png (235 KB, 1050x886) Image search: [Google]
nile milf.png
235 KB, 1050x886
>>36701
Isis is all you need. But there's always maat and sopdet.
>>
File: 1433355419539.jpg (34 KB, 710x720) Image search: [Google]
1433355419539.jpg
34 KB, 710x720
>>36701
>nipple

This is a blue board, anon.
>>
File: 1427193475465.png (174 KB, 2000x943) Image search: [Google]
1427193475465.png
174 KB, 2000x943
Is Zoroastrianism welcome here? It's not exactly polytheistic, and it does still have a few followers in the modern era (not that Hinduism doesn't or that there aren't neopagans), but it is a very interesting ancient religion.
>>
>>40231

go right ahead

i'm still trying to wrap my head around how the fuck do they work
>>
>>38416
That looks like many world interpretation theory right there!
Fun fact the location coordinates of the Great Pyramid of Giza match the exact number sequence for the speed of light Should i justdedicate my life to Osiris?
>>
>>36138
Can we talk about our favorite myths?
I personally really enjoy the story of psyche and cupid
I love that it's a truly feminine female hero who goes through many labors for her love
Plus it is happy :3
>>
File: il_570xN.480374536_d4o7.jpg (181 KB, 570x879) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.480374536_d4o7.jpg
181 KB, 570x879
>>36701

>dangerously

what's funny is that of all the gods, Bast was one of those the Egyptians themselves didn't sexualize as much, it was people afterwards turning her into the goddess of sluts/ritual sex because people couldn't conceive cats had an actual benign role.
>>
>Zeus is an asshole
>Poseidon is an asshole
>Hades forced his nephew to marry him but otherwise just sticks to the Underworld doing his own thing
>Fiction tends to make Hades out to be the evilest prick of the bunch because muh Satan comparison
This will forever be bullshit.
>>
>>37806
The reason for the similarities is the fact that Balts and Slavs come from the Balto-Slavic people, who were one of the Indo-European branches.

And on the your second point, I would like to mention the Slavic god Triglav (literally translates into Three-head), whose three heads represent three gods, Perun, Svarun and Veles/Svetovid.
>>
File: Bahamut - 12 -1.jpg (99 KB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
Bahamut - 12 -1.jpg
99 KB, 854x480
>>38270
The problem I have with hindu mythology is all the samefagging. I have a hard time remembering who is who.

>>38416
There was also Ganesha and Soma in Hestia's meme tits and a Shiva cameo in bahamut. And that is as far as I remember.

>>39654
The same as the mesopotamian bull of heaven? And isn't their earth mother goddess just the greek Rhea?

>>40231
I don't know much about it, but I don't see why not. You can also try a separate thread if you want, there was a 50 post Zoroastrianism thread yesterday.
>>
>>36175
>http://strawpoll.me/5892279

>Almost all of our knowledge about Grek Myth comes from records from Athens

>We all love the shit out of Athena

No surprise
>>
Why the fixation with snakes?
Every religion out there has some sort of important snake in it, or if not it will still have the ouroboros in it somewhere. What's the deal with that?
>>
>>41131
snakes (+spider) are the animals that are hardcoded on the brain for humans to be scared about
>>
File: grass snek.jpg (157 KB, 1000x666) Image search: [Google]
grass snek.jpg
157 KB, 1000x666
>>41131
>look qt
>useful IRL, eat vermin
>shed their skin which symbolizes rebirth and the cycle of life
It basically comes from prehistoric people being fascinated with reptiles. Think about it, they look different from other animals, have intelligent, hypnotizing eyes, live for a long time, and can live in the water as well as underground (both are considered to be the land of the ded in many religions) and over the ground with people.
>>
>>41131
Snakes were the first enlightened/sentinient beings. They lived through the dinosaurs' extinction by hiding into caves. When they came out they saw Earth being inhabited by humans. They thought they should teach them how to not be stupid. Then they left and went to live in the caves again. Every group of humans recorded their accounts differently. As it passed by generations, the original meaning was slowly lost and now some people see them as cunning, while some as gods.
>>
>>41105
>Almost all of 4chan is composed of crafty and intelligent yet unlikable, ugly betas with a kekold fetish

>We all love the shit out of Hephaestus

No surprise
>>
File: Cerne_Abbas_giant__3296793b.jpg (121 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
Cerne_Abbas_giant__3296793b.jpg
121 KB, 620x387
BIG
>>
File: tumblr_mo75l7vbTG1qesvzdo1_500.jpg (138 KB, 500x683) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mo75l7vbTG1qesvzdo1_500.jpg
138 KB, 500x683
Athena is pretty bae
>>
>>36175
>Apollo had 2/3 votes
>suddenly jumps to the top of the poll
some apollofag is proxying really hard
>>
What sort of mythological creatures exist in Hebraic religions?

It's funny how other faiths have all these well-known fantastic fauna but I can't think of many related to Hebraic religions.

There's the Leviathan and the Behemoth and I can't really think of more. Would angels and demons count?
>>
File: jiqrTrxi1tj1.jpg (204 KB, 1280x1384) Image search: [Google]
jiqrTrxi1tj1.jpg
204 KB, 1280x1384
>>41499

GUYS
>>
>>42229
Apollon is at it again
>>
>>41335
Where are you getting this from?
>>
>>42307
>Would angels and demons count?
of course

and islam has djinn which are pretty much demons
>>
>>38885
what's that thing between their legs?
>>
>>43624
Ancient Greeks like their genitalia child-sized.
>>
>>40989
Everything in Hindu beliefs is ultimately differently expressions of the same greater whole. God will appear to you in a form you need/understand.
>>
>>41994
>nips through thin tops
Yes, this will do nicely.
>>
>>44169
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMsLknEaZNE
>>
>>36175
>Broseidon winning
good job guys
>>
someone make a new thread?
>>
Irish mythology is FUCKING CRAZY

Why didn't anybody tell me?
>>
>>37105
He's the god of technology and kekholdry.
He's our patron.
>>
>>39485
It has been for like 2 years you stupidass.
>>
>>47617
what for? this one is still good
>>
>>48042
it was about to die, it was on page 10 when I posted that
>>
>>38069
This guy gets it. The Romans had a habit of relating their gods and mythology with the conquered people. Helps pacify people easier.
>>
>>47706
Cuz they ded
>>
What is this fascination with prostitutes in Japanese yokai?
>>
>>48064
If a thread is about to 404 just bump it, you newfag. You don't need to make a new thread. Lurk before you post
>>
>no world mythology has a better story than that of the Volsungs
>>
>>48904
I think he was asking if someone else created a thread and people were on it since no one was posting on this one
>>
File: 1436668009771.jpg (37 KB, 464x428) Image search: [Google]
1436668009771.jpg
37 KB, 464x428
>>36138
When will Astraea return /his/?
I'm still waiting.
>>
>>37507
>no homo buttsex with Seth in order to save Egypt.
please elaborate.
>>
Is this thread actually on 4chan? Where is the love for the Japanese pantheon? They have some cool shit like Kagutsuchi and Kintaro.

This thread is also sorely lacking Mesopotamian myths and the various myths of the Americas.
>>
>>48928
>one memorable story
>>
>>48766
I don't think it's just prostitutes but women in general. It seems like women in japanese folklore, shinto mythology and urban legends have two traits that always show up, spiritual in nature compared to the men and tricksters, using female charm and beauty to lure people to their doom (prostitutes fit that role perfectly).
>>
>>49414
I admittedly don't know much about the Japanese pantheon.
I know Susano-o got drunk and killed one of Amaterasu's servants which pissed her off so much she hid in a cave and left the world sunless until someone else tricked her with a mirror.
And that the sun and moon never meeting was because Amaterasu and Tsukuyomi were so mad at each other for some reason they didn't want to meet ever again.
And Susano-o killing the Yamata no Orochi but everyone knows about that.
>>
>>37422
Ares, the fucking WAR god who was scared off by Diomedes. Right.
>>
File: ShivaSMT.jpg (24 KB, 300x333) Image search: [Google]
ShivaSMT.jpg
24 KB, 300x333
>>38416
>Asura's wrath
A shame it wasn't fleshed out into a more open world game. I like the style, but it feels like so much is just lost potential.

>>38270
>Hindu mythology via wikipedia.
It's like being sucked into a black hole, I do the same thing. Only I kind of bounce back between Hindu and Aztec. It's a real shame only Greek, Norse, and sometimes Egyptian mythology gets time in the spotlight. I can spend hours looking through all the Shin Megami Tensei renditions of creatures and gods since they're so trippy.
>>
>>49497
One memorable story that beats the fucking Illiad out of the water. Also most adaptations of the story to any medium turn out to be top quality so I think that gives it some strength.
>>
>>49734
Susanoo also shitted on her temple.

I love shinto mythology for how mundane and rural is compared with the olympians, norse or chinese.

I believe Ama-chan was mad at Tsukuyomi for killing the goddess or food after he learned that she produced the rice and food they were about to eat by puking.
>>
Not sure if this is /x/ or not, but what truly dictates something being alive in the universe? People have referred to the sun, moon and earth being gods, right? So, why can't they actually be gods? If they "spoke" we couldn't understand them because we're on completely different levels. Planets and celestial beings have cores which are like their hearts, and the crust is like a skin with magma, gasses and water being like a lifeblood. The universe interacts with itself kind of like a bunch of beings that consider humans so insignificant that there's no point on being bothered.

A-am I crazy? I mean, I really think the universe itself is alive, just not in the way humans "live." Planets emit sounds, what if those were their voices? Ancient humans who created these stories didn't create them from absolutely nothing, and they didn't have modern technology to get in their way either. Are we missing something that used to be obvious?
>>
>>50056
I remember finding the food god thing so funny years ago. I hear she shit it out as well as puked it. Sounded like something out of a fucked up hentai.
>>
Personally I've always had a soft spot for Egyptian ancient history and mythology. But I also really enjoy the Gods of Rome.
>>
>>50555
That sounds pretty /x/-y. Not the kind of discussion that belongs here.

But if you want my take on it I believe that if there's some higher, powerful, sentient force in the universe it must be something beyond the comprehension of any intelligent lifeform.

Planets and the like are well within our comprehension.
>>
Sweet lord Loki was a fucking asshole.
Other trickster deities don't seem as ill-intentioned as this fucker was. The whole thing with Baldr was the king of dick moves.
>>
>>51349
But he talking shit about everyone in that party was hilarious.
>>
>>50555
>A-am I crazy?
Nice trips. What you're describing sounds kinda like Pantheism to me. My philosophy lies somewhere between the cusps of pan-, poly-, and panentheism.
>>
>>36175
>>
File: lugh.png (347 KB, 597x533) Image search: [Google]
lugh.png
347 KB, 597x533
>>36138
Irish mythology, can't explain why. It's just a weird fixation. Pic related is probably my favorite story.
>>
>>39594
When was dionysus a cunt? Yeah his followers were nutjobs but I can't think of a story which he did something to someone who didn't deserve it
>>
>>52788
The Bacchae
Lycurgus
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.