[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Bible states explicitly that Mary is the mother of Jesus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4
File: 42.jpg (65 KB, 525x700) Image search: [Google]
42.jpg
65 KB, 525x700
The Bible states explicitly that Mary is the mother of Jesus (Matthew 2:11) and the Mother of the Lord (Luke 1:43). If you do not acknowledge that Mary is the Mother of God, then you are obliquely suggesting Jesus is not God. Saying Mary is the Mother of God, is an affirmation of Christ's divinity.
>>
Mary was just a slag who cheated on her husband.
>>
>>690546
Jesus himself doesn't call her mother. He calls her "woman".
>>
>>690551
That's generally how you addressed your mother then. "Woman" wasn't a derogatory term.
>>
>>690553
Proof?
>>
Question about the immaculate conception.

Apparently it was necessary so that Jesus could be born without sin. But Mary's mother wasn't born without sin. God had to directly intervene to make that so. It raises the question, why not just intervene in jesus's birth? Seems like an unnecessary extra step.
>>
Mary is dead. She is just like the rest of humanity, awaiting a resurrection of the dead at Christ's return.
>>
>>690546
For 'Mother of the Lord' to mean 'Mother of God' you have to show that the Lord referred to is God.
>>
>>690556
You'll notice that it's never used throughout the whole OT as a form of address for one's mother. In Genesis 27, for instance, there is an extremely close mother-son relationship, but he never uses "mother" as a form of address, whereas she calls him "my son", and he calls his father, "father" as a form of address.

>>690557
The immaculate conception is not a thing in Orthodox Christianity

>>690560
It referred to Jesus, yes?
>>
>>690564
Jesus being called 'Lord' is not sufficient to show he is God.
>>
>>690549
get off the Internet, Connor! Time for school. Today its your turn for show and tell and you wanted to do atheism, remember?
>>
>>690574
I'm 21 and it is a Saturday so children are not at school.
>>
>>690573
So are you an Arian?
>>
Guys it's so simple

OP is either b8, retarded, or Catholic (probably Catholic

Mary was the physical mother of Jesus on this earth

But Jesus has always existed on the spiritual plain, the only plain that matters

He is the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last
>>
>>690576
Nope. Just saying that the citations in the OP aren't enough to show that Jesus is God.
>>
>>690582
Are you a Gnostic?
>>
>>690585
Then what the heck are you objecting about? I'm not interested in proving Jesus is God in this thread anymore than I'm interested in proving God exists. I've done all that elsewhere. I'm only address Christians who are not Arians.
>>
God has no mother, to say he does is to mock him.
>>
>>690593
To say Mary is not the Mother of God, is to say Christ is not God.
>>
>>690595
Divinity can have no mother.
>>
>>690600
Are you suggest Christ is not divine?
>>
>>690601
No, you are

>Mary gave birth to jesus.
>He was created the moment he came from the womb.
>>
>>690546
>If you do not acknowledge that Mary is the Mother of God, then you are obliquely suggesting Jesus is not God
thats ok then cos im not a stupid christcuck
>>
>>690587
No, I'm a nondenominational Christian

The stuff I said is in the Bible and any self respecting Christian would believe it
>>
>>690605
Uh, Mary *did* give birth to Jesus.
http://biblehub.com/greek/5088.htm
>>
>>690612
No, the Bible does not see the material world as some inconsequential plane. The meek will inherit the material, and it's not a separate plane so much as a distinct dimension.
>>
>>690624
Nowhere in scripture will you find that Jesus was Mary's biological child.
However we do know Jesus was the 2nd Adam and High Priest of the order of Melchezidec, neither of which had earthly parents.
>>
>>690628
Oh, a Mormon.

It says right there that Mary gave birth to Christ, look at the examples on the right.
>>
Did Mary give birth to the three persons of the trilogy or just the second person?
>>
>>690630
Just the Second.
>>
>>690629
God can't be born. God is before time, and will be after time. so he can't be created or born. This does not mean god can't enter human flesh. but for him to do so. A mother is needed to create the human flesh for God to enter. this is where mary comes in. But this does not make mary the mother of God. because God has no mother.
>>
>>690627
>it's not a separate plane so much as a distinct dimension

Why are you changing the wording? You know what I meant

Yeah the physical plain matters, but when compared to the everlasting and eternal it doesn't hold a candle to it
>>
>>690640
You say this because you don't think Jesus is God. But you're a Mormon, I'm a Church that actually traces back directly to Christ and His Resurrection in the flesh instead of a single man claiming to have a vision.
>>
>>690644
It's pretty important wording.

The physical is everlasting.
>>
>>690647
I deny that church is the church of God. If they were the church of God they would follow scripture. and not add to it. twist it to form their own man made doctrines. and mix pagan beliefs with the doctrines of Christ.
>>
>>690654
We follow Scripture as it has always been followed, taking it to mean what it has always meant. Our understanding of Scripture is unbroken. We do not just hand down Scripture: he hand down what exactly it meant to those who wrote and read it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noetoc2W4Pc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnXcKYNOsAw

You deny the Body of Christ. You deny Christ.
>>
File: oO6sVxJ.png (333 KB, 942x942) Image search: [Google]
oO6sVxJ.png
333 KB, 942x942
Don't you guys think it's a fucking backwards weakness of your imageboard autist Christianity that you get so stuck with semantics or what "the mother of God" actually means where any explanation is as conjectural quote throwing as the next? Does God really expect the righteous believer to debate over what "mother of god" may mean instead of actually professing the faith and living in His service? The level with which people like Costance get almost pathologically transfixed in collecting quotes and making petty arguments about what any tiny thing with little semblance to Christian virtue means is if not just plain cultist shitposting just a way to drive anyone not in your echo chamber away from your threads.
>>
>>690649
>The physical is everlasting

No, it isn't. That would mean the physical has been around forever. It hasn't. God was around before the physical world
>>
>>690665
If you deny Mary is God's Mother, you are implicitly denying that Christ is God, which is really very serious.
>>
>>690665
All this debating is just extracurricular activity to me

And some of these things are actually pretty important distinctions to make
>>
>>690667
Heaven hasn't been around forever either, derp
>>
>>690669
See>>690582

You're just trying to twist words in your favor because you're the mother earth goddess worshipping pagan
>>
>>690669
But the argument is as to what "God's mother" means because as evidenced by the fact there can be argument over it it isn't a clear cut thing, language is imperfect and we're not even speaking the (already imperfect) language of scripture. To get so stuck up in language is characteristic of and reminds me of the Orthodox Jews who write volumes over volumes of legalisms over the commandments like God is some sort of civil court judge.
>>
>>690675
You are trying to twist Christianity into Gnosticism by making to seem like we are not our bodies. We are very much our bodies, the physical is very important. The only reason we physically perish is because of man's fall, but that will all be fixed in the Restoration of All Things. Your viewpoint is extremely anti-material, and you are the pagan because it comes from Platonism.
>>
>>690672
May be true, but at least heaven is in the full glory of God
>>
>>690678
Talmud study is very noble.
>>
>>690678
No, the argument over it has nothing to do with the imprecision of language anymore than other Protestant heresies do. We both know what we're talking about.
>>
>>690679
Keep twisting things Cathocuck

Doesn't change anything
>>
File: caduceus-2-1-front.gif (133 KB, 350x499) Image search: [Google]
caduceus-2-1-front.gif
133 KB, 350x499
>>690546
In the beginning was the Word, the Logos, who is Mercury, and is therefore to be identified with Christ. Both are messengers; their birth mysteries are similar; the pranks of their childhood are similar. In the Vision of the Universal Mercury, Hermes is seen descending upon the sea, which refers to Maria. The Crucifixion represents the caduceus; the two thieves, the two serpents; the cliff in the Vision of the Universal Mercury is Golgotha; Maria is simply Maia with the solar R in her womb.

The controversy about Christ between the synoptics and John was really a contention between the priests of Bacchus, Sol and Osiris, also, perhaps, of Adonis and Attis, on the one hand, and those of Hermes on the other, at that period when initiation all over the world found it necessary, owing to the growth of the Roman empire, and the opening up of means of communication, to replace conflicting polytheisms by a synthetic faith.
>>
>>690683
God created the earth for us to inhabit and enjoy forever. Sin screwed that up, but he will restore things and that is why the meek shall inherit the earth.

You have a very confused, almost anti-materialist perspective. The material is not some other plane, heaven and earth are complimentary dimensions, like the vertical and the horizontal.
>>
>>690690
Another plane is just another way of saying another dimension

Do you know what a plane is in geometry?
>>
>>690700
A different plane isn't a different dimension unless it's perpendicular, and even then it is not, of itself, a dimension in toto.
>>
>>690669
This is where you all get mixed up. Your creating Jesus as something he is not.

Jesus left his divinity aside. A devine being can't sin. Jesus was able to sin. Devine God can't feel pain. Jesus felt pain. Divine God knows all things and sees all things. Jesus had to be taught. Devine God can not die. Jesus died.
>>
>>690708
So Jesus isn't God?
>>
>>690713
Scripture states the son "emptied himself" or set his divinity aside.
>>
>>690717
That's not what "emptying yourself" means. It means to fully give yourself, to be utterly and totally selfless to the last drop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenosis

This is why sola scriptura is terrible, they transmit the text but not the meaning that goes with it.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
To deny that Mary is the Mother of God is to deny that the very person in her womb is the Divine person of Christ. That she merely hosted a mere human being and not God himself. It is to entail that the being in her womb is a mere human whom the Logos later came into or somehow possess~nyaa
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.