[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is truth good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 12
File: Nietzsche portrait.gif (135 KB, 679x400) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche portrait.gif
135 KB, 679x400
Why is truth good?
>>
Hmm... never wondered that.
>>
>>688511
Exactly.
>>
>>688520
Okay...
>>
truth is desirable to the mind which wishes to know truth
>>
It's not good. It's not bad. It just is. That's why there's the good side; the bad side; and the truth.
>>
>>688499
It only is unconditionally good if you believe in Truth, with a capital T; otherwise it will only be good when it cause happiness and/or prosperity and no sadness/misery to people (or cause these "bad" things in acceptable levels).
>>
>>688499
Truth is a means to an end. Unless you're doing philosophy, at that point you turn autistic and turn truth into the end goal.

And it isn't a "means to an end" in any grandiose way either even. If one of your sandwiches have rat-poison on it, you'd prefer to know the true answer to which one of em it is.
>>
File: this man is a really good meme.jpg (10 KB, 200x237) Image search: [Google]
this man is a really good meme.jpg
10 KB, 200x237
Why is "good" good?
>>
>>688499
because it exists.
>>
>>688601
>Truth is a means to an end. Unless you're doing philosophy, at that point you turn autistic and turn truth into the end goal.

See pragmatism
>>
>>688499
because if we desire to answer a question, truth is our goal.

Then again if a truth is horrible, might it be better not to know it?
>>
>>688602
your search for spooks has become your own spook
>>
File: 1425621378333.jpg (47 KB, 283x323) Image search: [Google]
1425621378333.jpg
47 KB, 283x323
>>688499

Nothing but truth has enabled humans to step forward in history. To interact with your world in a fashion you desire, you require truth. Truth is therefore directly associated with progress, growth, development, which are inherently good things for a human being, simply due their expanding nature.
If it is inherently good is up for debate nowadays, but in order to discover whether truth is a good thing you will inevitably need truth, so the question somehow answers itself.
>>
>>688602
Because is good.
>>
>>688712
>step forward
>progress
>growth
>development

You really think there's such a thing huh? Maybe you could mention 1 example of objective "development"? In terms of humans such as we normally define them today.
>>
>>688740

Come on now, stop acting stupid.
Progress for humans is nothing but optimization and expansion. We live longer, know more, count more individuals than ever, produce and consume much more efficiently etc.
Whether it is aligned with your idea of "development" is not what matters here.
There is no objective development, you are right at that point. There is no purpose to anything anyone does here on a cosmic scale of course and therefore no going forward to speak of, but such discussions are besided the point obviously.
>>
>>688602
because I like it and it probably benefits me in some way.
>>
>>688784
>There is no objective development, you are right at that point. There is no purpose to anything anyone does here on a cosmic scale of course and therefore no going forward to speak of

I agree, and that was the point of my first post. As you say, truth is what has allowed us to "progress". But there's really no progress so that statement is false, however we can say that truth has allowed us to change. But if instead of adhering to the truth, we adhered to that which is false, wouldn't we change as well? We would live shorter lives, know less, there'd be fewer of us, we would produce and consume less, etc. This is just as much progress as that which we gain by following the "truth".
>>
>>688499
The truth is the Enemy of Mankind
For thousands of years, we built shelters for ourselves to keep out the cold that is our fear of death and existential dread. These shelters were religions, institutions, social and sexual mores, etc. They hid from us the fact that life is without meaning and gave us some purpose. Now there are people who seek to tear those shelters down because they want everyone to be "rational" and "modern" and see the truth which is obviously that it's cold outside. People who believe that in shedding our traditions, our belief systems, our old ways of life. The thing is, we've all long forgotten just how cold it is outside or why we're even living in shelters at all. And so a lot of us have left our shelters, our identities, to follow these fools. Now we just huddle together with no security, trying to stay warm. What's going to happen to us? For thousands of years, we built shelters for ourselves to keep out the cold that is our fear of death. These shelters were religions, institutions, social and sexual mores, etc. Now there are people who seek to tear those shelters down because they want everyone to be "rational" and "modern" and see the truth which is obviously that it's cold outside. People who believe that in shedding our traditions, our belief systems, our old ways of life. The thing is, we've all long forgotten just how cold it is outside or why we're even living in shelters at all. And so a lot of us have left our shelters, our identities, to follow these fools. Now we just huddle together with no security, trying to stay warm. What's going to happen to us if we continue down this path? Man cannot stay out in the cold forever.
>>
>>688818
Well just by virtue of being organic creatures descended from 3.7 billion years of evolution we don't want to die.

Truth is that which the self interprets as true, the values and morals are that which the self interprets as valuable or moral. That's that.
>>
>>688886
>we don't want to die.
Well, personally we are going to die. Thus we need to die. And thus, we want to die. What we don't want, is for our bloodline to die. Take an old man for example, he's seen his children grow up and has met his numerous grand children. His body aches and even speaking hurts. He wants to die, he can die peacefully knowing his bloodline is alive and prospers.
>Truth is that which the self interprets as true
I don't think so. Truth is that which occurs whether you believe it, predict it or interpret it, or not. Values and morals are very much hard to define though, it always demands a context.
>>
>>688850
why'd you write that twice?
>>
>>688915
>Well, personally we are going to die. Thus we need to die. And thus, we want to die
That we will die doesn't mean we want to die, what kind of logic is that? Humanity isn't composed of ancient dying people.

>I don't think so. Truth is that which occurs whether you believe it, predict it or interpret it, or not
How do you know of a truth you can't perceive? (I will assume you won't answer faith, because faith is a word for belief)
>>
>>688930
>That we will die doesn't mean we want to die, what kind of logic is that?
I think that it is very logical. If something is undoubtedly going to happen to you, then it's reasonable to want for it to happen. For example, let's say i'm going to go to work tomorrow. Instead of desparing, i might as well make the best of it and have a positive outlook.
>Humanity isn't composed of ancient dying people.
Humanity is composed of dying people... Everyone is slowly dying.
>How do you know of a truth you can't perceive?
I don't know, good question. I don't have the answer, maybe i failed to comprehend the question.
>>
>>688952
Also to avoid confusion, I have two definitions of self: The bloodline, and the person. I think that the person wants to die, but the bloodline doesn't want to die.
>>
>>688499
Because objectivity is only constructed through intersubjectivity, so worship of the objective is really worship of the collective, and subservience to the collective is usually considered to be good.
>>
>>688952
>I think that it is very logical. If something is undoubtedly going to happen to you, then it's reasonable to want for it to happen. For example, let's say i'm going to go to work tomorrow. Instead of desparing, i might as well make the best of it and have a positive outlook.
But that isn't an attitude you can ascribe to humanity as a whole, people don't "logically" accept they're going to die, that's some Enlightenment level assumption. What about the people who don't want kids, the people who after losing their kids continue living, etc etc etc.? Human behavior and philosophy is much too complex to boil down to that.
>>
>>688973
>blah blah blah
>>
>>688499
Because it benefits other humans to have accurate information and therefore is beneficial, if not outright 'good'.
>>
>>689039
What if they don't want the information for fear of something?
>>
>>688499
Truth is reality, which is the basis of your fucking existence you stupid twat.
>>
>>689054
Well that just brings up the question of whether it is better to live in blissful ignorance or to be sad yet enlightened, which is a talk entirely separate from this one.
>>
>>688499

>yfw honesty and trustworthiness are opposites
>>
Accurate information is useful to possess, so we tend to desire truth, at least within what supports our own narratives.
>>
File: 1449536985588.png (386 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1449536985588.png
386 KB, 600x600
>>688499
>The Truth matters
Not in this day and age. All that matters now is what you believe/ feel. Humanity has always had a tenuous relationship with the truth. While you could ignore it for a while, it would eventually catch up with you. But now a days the internet has made it completely irrelevant.

Despite having all the information you could ever want at you literal fingertips, most people would rather just head to places that just confirm their biases. They could learn from experts who have studied in the field for decades, or learn from a source that is even handed in coverage and minimizes bias. Instead everyone takes the lazy route that panders to their preconceived notions from loud mouthed morons who don't even know anything themselves. Now society lives in this hug box bubble that reinforces convenient damaging lies instead of forcing the truth.
>>
Because truth is Christ
>>
Didn't Notes from Underground talk about this far better than Nietzsche ever did?
>>
File: xfi_ship.gif (780 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
xfi_ship.gif
780 KB, 500x372
Truth is found by those with faith in finding the truth.
>>
>>688499
Truth is neither good nor bad. Truth is the necessary ingredient to distinguish between good and bad.
>>
Who said there is truth in the first place?
>>
http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/phl201/modules/Philosophers/Nietzsche/Truth_and_Lie_in_an_Extra-Moral_Sense.htm
>>
>>688499
You can't make things better if you don't know what's wrong
>>
>>689468
Right on the mark.
>>
File: MGS2.jpg (277 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
MGS2.jpg
277 KB, 800x1000
>>689468
>>689919
Why didn't we stop it?
>>
In his dialogues, Plato often has Socrates utter oaths "by the dog" (kai me ton kuna), "by the dog of Egypt", and "by the dog, the god of the Egyptians", both for emphasis and to appeal to Anubis as an arbiter of truth in the underworld
>>
>>688499
Good is a point of view, Anakin.
>>
File: St. Dionysius 01.jpg (221 KB, 628x475) Image search: [Google]
St. Dionysius 01.jpg
221 KB, 628x475
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperreality
>>
File: 1448772167063.jpg (194 KB, 585x913) Image search: [Google]
1448772167063.jpg
194 KB, 585x913
>>688499
Because truth is life, and life is the light of man.

Jesus Christ is the Truth, or is it hard to understand? Is it hidden? No. Is it esoterism? No. It's plain and simple, you bunch of faggots.
>>
File: image (2).jpg (3 KB, 300x57) Image search: [Google]
image (2).jpg
3 KB, 300x57
>>690117
>deluded cultists lecturing about "truth"
>>
>>690124
>this whole thread
>>
File: gohome.gif (3 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
gohome.gif
3 MB, 400x225
>>688499
The truth does not require indoctrination, promise of reward, threat of punishment, or suppression of rights in order to spread and be embraced.

Embracing the truth often results in the betterment of society, that is, understanding worldly phenomena allow us to manipulate said phenomena in our favor (as with electricity, for example).

The truth allows us also to see the limitations of what we are capable of.

The truth can be upsetting when inconvenient, or morbid, and perhaps even too much for some to handle all at once, but it alerts us to bad news, and allows us to respond quickly and efficiently to it, should we be up to the task.

Truth is usually good.
I give Truth an 8/10.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.