[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When and why did "Mad Queen" chess take off? Why weren't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8
File: chess set.jpg (7 KB, 295x171) Image search: [Google]
chess set.jpg
7 KB, 295x171
When and why did "Mad Queen" chess take off? Why weren't people happier with the older piece movement rules? And why did Chess, as opposed to some other game, win the premier spot of the "intellectual game", at least in Europe?
>>
>>688122
People just like variety. If you play chess all of the time, you will begin to notice patterns, and while this is part of becoming a good player, it also causes some of the mystique and excitement that one might have had when they first started learning to dissipate. It's why Go earned some popularity in the west in the last several years. I for one enjoy the sense of confusion and not knowing exactly what the expect when playing games.
>>
>>688122
What the fuck is Mad Queen chess?
Also none of the chess variants are truly popular. 99% of the games are still traditional rules.
>>
>>688159
>I for one enjoy the sense of confusion and not knowing exactly what the expect when playing games.
Don't kid yourself. Unless you are a GM, you are not even close to knowing even most patterns. If you know exactly what to expect when playing chess, you need to stop playing your 4 year old sister and move on to tougher competition.
>>
>>688301
You can take a bunch of rocks and draw shit on them. Chess did not reach its status because it's complicated to craft a horse head. Don't be stupid. Or be stupid, just stop posting.
>>
>>688225

>What the fuck is Mad Queen chess?

Mad Queen chess is modern chess as it's played pretty much everywhere: The queen moves horizontally, vertically, or diagonally any number of spaces until it hits something.

Prior to this, IIRC, the queen/vizier only moved one space diagonally.
>>
>>688319
So what was its purpose then?
It would literally be an expendable king
>>
>>688355

Well, at least in say, 10th/11th century chess, which I have some material on (and then nothing until Ruy Lopez in the late 15th century), the knight was the only one of the backrank pieces that moved the way it does in modern chess.

Kings were only one space horizontal or vertical.
Rooks were exactly 2 spaces horizontal or vertical, not one
Bishops were exactly 2 spaces diagonal, again, not one.

Interesting to note is that if you put a knight at the center of a 5x5 grid, the legal moves of the knight are all the squares you couldn't reach by any of the other pieces.

One by one the pieces (knight excluded) changed their moves, but I'm not really sure as to when and why. By Ruy Lopez's time, they're in their modern incarnations. As for it's purpose, it was that of any other piece, to move and take things, eventually corner the enemy king.
>>
>>688418
What a shit game that sounds like.
>>
>tfw no one to play chess with
>>
>>688436
>not playing on FICS
>>
>>688436

up for a game on lichess?

http://lichess.org/A84VcDXx

5/2 time control ok?
>>
>>688436
I know that feel. I know I could just play online, but it just doesn't have the same feel as having the pieces right in front of you.
>>
File: 23894432.jpg (312 KB, 940x587) Image search: [Google]
23894432.jpg
312 KB, 940x587
>>688122

Didn't Isabella complain about how weak the queen was? And in honour of her everyone started to play the mad queen variation.
>>
>>688452
>playing with increments
We are not using dial-up modems anymore sempai.
>>
>>688468

You play with increments to allow for the length of a game. a 100+ mover endgame is going to be different than a short violent middlegame struggle.

Not to mention it's how FIDE plays most fast tournaments.
>>
File: co.uk-celtic.png (462 KB, 626x497) Image search: [Google]
co.uk-celtic.png
462 KB, 626x497
>>688436
>tfw no one to play chess with

I play my 13 year old nephew, who was in chess club last year but I can usually beat him 3/4 times, as he's overly focused on the queen (both his and mine) because she's the most powerful piece.

Also, the way I learned to play chess back in 1977 on a visit to family in Poland, pawns could also attack backwards diagonally and knights couldn't jump over enemy pieces.
>>
File: Polish chess set.jpg (96 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Polish chess set.jpg
96 KB, 800x600
>>688418
>One by one the pieces (knight excluded) changed their moves, but I'm not really sure as to when and why.

Obviously to make the game more interesting and fun. If all the pieces are limited to 1-2 spaces per move, you’re going to have a pretty slow and boring game.
>>
what do you guys think about en passant capture, bullshit or not? have you ever done it irl
>>
>>688728

Breddy useful rule. I use it occasionally, but it doesn't come up that often.

One thing I've noted, is that it's a great trap for like 14-1600 players. They'll know about En passant at that strength, they'll know that if they don't do it immeidately, they'll lose the chance, so they'll take en passant even if it's not a good idea to do so, because they don't want to lose the opportunity.
>>
This thread inspired me to play online chess and holy fuck am I bad. Novice AIs are rekting my shit with ridiculous ease, checkmate in about 6 minutes.

How do I git gud?
>>
>>689367
Just be yourself
>>
>>689367
Play a lot. Lose a lot. Get at least basic opening pronciples down: piece development, center control, king safety.

When you're ready, start rook and pawn endings, that's where you really learn how to play and calculate in depth
>>
File: kek.jpg (44 KB, 589x448) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
44 KB, 589x448
>>689382
>>689380
Is queen spamming a legitimate strategy?
>>
>>689407

No. If you're in a position where you can queen multiple pawns, you've won anyway. It can possibly be an effective supplement if you don't know how to pull off a checkmate with less material, but it won't win you any games you don't already have an overwhelming advantage in.
>>
>>688418
Interesting, any sources to read on this?
t. absolute beginner player
>>
>>689546

Look up "Shatranj" and you ought to be able to find some materials on the subject.
>>
>>689367

Follow your heart.
>>
>>689367
>>689407

Exact same situation, and I've been playing on the same site. I learned about openings from http://chess.about.com/od/openings/tp/TopOpenings.htm Basically, protect the center. Very simple, move your two pawns in front of the king and queen forward two spaces, move your two knights up to defend the pawns, and once those pawns are moved you can move your bishops as well. Losing to Cody (the retard tier AI) becomes impossible once you've got an opening down. I have to learn more though because Claire rekts my shit every fucking time.
>>
Anyone want to play a game of casual crazyhouse? Rules are explained, but it's basically modern chess except capture pieces are now yours and can be placed during your turn. Only rule is that pawns can't be auto-promoted, however feel free to check.

http://lichess.org/kQUF3sKg
>>
>>689367
Practice with friends, it's pretty fun, haha. Try en.lichess.org.
>>
>>689563
Yeah I'm getting my shit pushed in by Claire as well, although I seem to not get checkmated as quickly if I try to draw her pawns out with my knights and cockblock her good pieces with bishops.
I always forget about the queen though and it manages to tear its way through my rear unchecked and everything falls apart.

>>689568
Where do I get friends?
>>
>>689583
She always abuses the Queen, which yeah definitely fucks my shit up, but I'm positive it's her weakness. Still, once in a while I'll be able to take it and it's easier to play but I still can't seem to win.
>>
This is embarrassing.

>>689593
Once the queen is behind my lines I'm gone. I can never counter it, whether my rook is kill or there are immovable pieces in front of it.
She just gobbles up my pieces while my only available moves are to get my king out of dodge.
>>
>>689624
Castle your king and be very conservative with his movements. Always prepare a counter attack, ideally with pawns set up to retake a square. Of course I say that haven't not won a single game against that AI
>>
>>689624
stop losing all your pieces dummy
>>
>>688702
It was simulating armies moving around a battlespace... Lots of anticipation and manoeuvre of 'winning' pieces into the right place for a victory.

The game was, and is, about position.
>>
>>688466
So in essence the queen as it's played nowadays is a strong and independent chess piece who needs no man?
>>
>>688243
This combative autist bullshit is what makes these boards suck. Everyone has a point at which they will start to plateau. In lieu of stagnation for some people, fairy chess can add some interest when higher skill is illusive. Don't be a such a ornery cunt looking for an argument.
>>
>>691701
no, the game of chess simply better captures the perennial notion of 'la donna e mobile' (that's italian for 'all women are whores')
>>
>>692390
That's Italian for "the woman is able to move"
>>
>>
>>692961
They move from one man to another. That's the idea.
>>
>>693128

Black's position is hopeless. Queen for a bishop is overwhelming, and that's before you have to deal with the immediate threats.

After exd6+, Be7 loses instantly to Qxe7#, and Kd8 is bad because Qxb6 and picking up the rook. That leaves Be6 as the only "reasonable" alternative. However, it contains no offensive potential, and white can take his time developing his queenside knight, castling, bringing his rooks to the center, and then ramming through the d pawn.
>>
>>691970
What is your ELO?
>>
File: end.jpg (46 KB, 552x551) Image search: [Google]
end.jpg
46 KB, 552x551
>>693139
Lucky for him, Be6 is what he played, even though it seemed to take him a while to figure out which was surprising considering he has a pretty decent ELO. After that I castled kingside, just to be safe in case. After that though, he played f6, which made no sense, and I won his bishop. After that point it resulted into chasing his king around the queenside and ultimately winning on time.
>>
>>693162

Honestly, like I said, the only really rational "move" to make is to resign. You could put Stockfish, or whatever your favorite AI in the former position as black and you should be able to beat it easily, even with a "perfect" defense. Queen for a bishop is too much to overcome.

>After that point it resulted into chasing his king around the queenside and ultimately winning on time.

Sloppy, unless he was the sort to huddle in a lost position and to force you to win by flag falling. Trade off pieces, force a pawn promotion, do a K+Q v K mate. It shouldn't take more than a minute of your clock-time from >>693128
>>
its for the greatest leader of all time Queen Elizabeth
>>
>>693212

It predated Queen Elizabeth by at least a hundred years.
>>
>>693162
Qd4 was the best move, as it fixes the king in place and threatens the kingside rook. Then you castle in order to quickly get your rook in the center, ram everything into whatever is in front of the king, and gg
>>
>>689367
Don't lose your way.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.