[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Latin Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 12
File: agrippa3.jpg (532 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
agrippa3.jpg
532 KB, 900x1200
Ego linguam latinam disco sed ego amicos non habeo. Ego amicos cupio.
>>
File: Roman Degenerates.jpg (3 MB, 1248x5557) Image search: [Google]
Roman Degenerates.jpg
3 MB, 1248x5557
PREPARABIT TAURUM
>>
Tu ad /pol/ revenis
>>
>>687964
>implicans ullum participem hujus situs tenere amicos ullos

Praeterea:
>fans "ego"
>>
>>688125

inquam "dico" quod sum orbis
>>
>>688143

>"dico"

*ego

Eheu, scribo nimium.
>>
>>687964
Sum amicus tuus anonus
>>
>>687964
Scio illum sensum, frater.
>>
Quare series dubbed quaedam imago vel in Latin ? Qui volubiliter Latine loqui in infernum ? Frustra videtur ad me .
>>
>>687964
Is it possible to learn Latin on one's own? If so, where and how does one begin?
>>
>>688217
Cambridge Latin Course. Caecilius est in horto.
>>
>>687964
Etsi sumus minus noti, inter amicos esse

>>688217
it's definitely possible. The main problem is too mantain the motivation
>>
>>687964

Irrumator es.
>>
Quod scripsi scripsi
>>
>>688241

>Caecilius est in horto

Goddammit that hurts to read again.

What the fuck happened to everybody after Vesuvius erupted? Did Quintus and Clemens survive?
>>
>ουk μανθανετε οι λογοι αριστοι
Ishy dirty latin backstabbers ddt
>>
Alius liber bonus "Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata" est. Partem Unam modo legi, et valde amavi!
>>
If anyone wants to learn Latin and they are reasonably familiar with grammar, get Shelmerdine and just start plowing through it. If less confident on intensive methods, use Wheelock (easily pirated).

Don't try to find shortcuts. Just do chapters over and over until you get it right and things stick. Memorise paradigms. Drill vocab daily (every day go through ALL the vocab lists at the end of chapters, and translate from / to Latin/English from memory, with full principal parts).

Do it at your own pace, do it sloppily, do whatever you want. But if you DO it, you will learn Latin.
>>
>>690035
Also I say to avoid Lingua Latina because it's snake oil (imho), and avoid Cambridge because it doesn't explain shit properly

The key to maintaining motivation in learning Latin is not to stress over doing it right. "Doing it right" = doing it wrong ten times. So fucking what if you mess up and decide to start over? So what if you have to backtrack a few chapters? Just DO it, and enough things will stick that you will learn the language eventually.

But don't use a "holistic" method like Lingua Latina. Do it the hard old-fashioned way.
>>
>>687964
are you autists really learning latin?

I can think of very few things more useless
>>
>>690035
>>690039

I've been studying for several hours a day for two weeks straight. I'm past worrying if I'm learning correctly and now I'm brute forcing it with the available resources. It's fun now and I'm definitely not giving up.

I use the Cambridge Latin thing, I like the tools on its website but it is pretty minimalist with what it teaches. Learning vocab is easy with Cambridge, I can learn 100+ words a day if I feel like grinding.
>>
>>690099
Just remember to drill the principal parts too. Saves trouble in the long run.

If Cambridge works for you, fuck it, go Cambridge. I just know that when I was learning, the only really insurmountable stumbling block was running into conceptual things that weren't explained. I preferred the books that had "let me explain this shit to you, dumbass" charts and stuff.
>>
>>690104

>Just remember to drill the principal parts too.

So for Amo that would be Amo, Amare, Amavi, and Amatus, right?

I notice I was having to basically learn two words for some verbs that had an odd perfect tense. If I learn those four variants when learning a new word, every other conjugation is predictable, right?

I appreciate the advice btw.
>>
>>690131
Pretty much.

You'll get used to the 4 regular conjugations in no time. Then, when learning new verbs, just make a note of its conjugation. If you meet an irregular verb, then write it out in full. Exemplum:

> amo 1
> vestio 4
> do dare dedi datum
>>
File: 6518-25676.gif (54 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
6518-25676.gif
54 KB, 320x240
>try learning Latin
>have to learn some things about English first

Jesus, what's the difference between the infinitive, participle, gerund, and supine?

This stuff literally hurts trying to figure out.
>>
>>690615
The infinitive is not limited (infinitivus) to a person or persons; in English, the 'to ...' construction, like 'to love'.

The participle is an adjective made from a verb; like verbs, they have tense and aspect (completed or not at the time being described). An English present participle could be 'the loving dog', where 'loving' is acting like an adjective and it was doing the loving at the time that the speaker spoke about the dog. An english past participle could be 'the loved dog', still an adjective but having a past sense or completed sense (i.e. not perhaps now loved).

The gerund is a noun made from a verb; these are either rarely used in English or totally misunderstood. An English gerund could be 'the dog's loving was good', where the 'loving' acts as a noun.

The supine does not exist in English, but is a kind of gerund. It was rarely used in Latin too, its main grammatical use being that you can form various Latin participles easily from it. In Latin the supine was used as a gerund after verbs of moving or sending, or after adjectives in certain constructions, e.g.

> virum mitto amatum
I send the man to love.

You'll get used to them with practice.
>>
>>690615
nigga u straight up stupid. this shit is easy in english
>>
>>689972
>makes fun of others
>doesn't know how to use the accusative
>>
HVNCBONVMFILVMCVPIO
>>
>>689853
read the next books. Quintus and Clemens go to Athens, then Alexandria. They get up to some shenanigans, then Quintus goes to Britannia and Clemens stays in Alexandria to set up a shop, I believe.
>>
>>690039

What've you got against lingua latina m8?

Tu quid, amice?
Pugna mecum in realitate amice
Necabo te amice
Hoc juro per matrem meam
Destruam te amice
>>
Valde laetus sum videns /his/ latine loqui posse.

Censeo /his/ optimam omnium tabularum huius paginae esse.

Re vera omnes ceterae tabulae merda sunt.

(Putatisne "tabula" bonum vocabulum latinum esse ad dicendum "board"?)
>>
Hola mis amigos vándalos.
¿Cómo estáis?
>>
>>691282
Ca va bein, mon ami
>>
>>687964
The only Latin I remember from my high school is this broken ass sentence

Molestus lupus sedet sub abore

The class was a joke class and the teacher was senile
>>
Salvete, amici!
How would you translate this:
"Caesar, postquam in Treveros venit, duabus de causis flumen transire constituit, quarum una erat, quod Germani auxilia contra eum Treveris miserant, altera, quod Ambiorix ad Germanos fugere potuit. Quaere paulo supra eum locum, quo iam ante exercitum traduxerat facere pontem instituit."

Despero, quod eam sententiam interpretari non possum.
>>
ek skal walhiskanz stikanã
>>
File: sarmatian warrior.jpg (410 KB, 816x773) Image search: [Google]
sarmatian warrior.jpg
410 KB, 816x773
AAA KURWAAA

SARMACJA STRONK, JEBACZ RZYMIAN

WY JEBANE KUHWY, NEVER CONQUERED. FORTI TU ŁAN!
>>
File: mfw.jpg (35 KB, 640x638) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
35 KB, 640x638
>mfw ablative
>>
>>690726
I should be enslaved for such a sloppy sentence
>>
>Latin exam in 3 days
>>
>>691763
You mispelled barbarbarbarbarbarbar
>>
>>691994
this desu
>>
>>691385
Something like this (I'm a little out of practice)

"Caesar, after he comes into the Treveri, set up to go across the river for two reasons, of which one was, because the Germani sent help to the Treveri against him, the other, because Ambiorix could flee to the Germani. Hence a little beyond that place, where already before the army he had crossed over, he prepared to make a bridge."

This is from de bello gallico, right? Caesar is a pretty terse writer.
>>
File: 1455359994948.jpg (42 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1455359994948.jpg
42 KB, 480x640
>>690084
Latin is very easy to learn. All you have to do is conjugate and not be retarded, which is why you wouldn't be able to do it.
>>
>>691385
After he came to Treveri, Caesar decided to cross the river for two reasons, one of which was that the Germans had sent relief against him at Treveri, and the other was that Ambiorix could flee to the Germans. So a little past there, he decided to make a bridge where he had brought his army had already crossed.
>>
Do you know filthy words in Latin?
>>
>>694203
catullus 16 has some
>>
File: tumblr_ndo4s3xQln1qlpyreo6_1280.jpg (112 KB, 597x519) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ndo4s3xQln1qlpyreo6_1280.jpg
112 KB, 597x519
>mfw learning 70 conjugations of the first conjugation today

And then I'll have to learn them all over again tomorrow.
>>
Latin bros, need help with a project.

what is the proper way to say "Monument to the Dragon" in latin?
>>
Latin is shit.

Ancient Greek is where it's at.
>>
>>696083
monumentum draconis I believe
>>
>>696083
>>697100
I think using dative would be more correct instead of genitive.
Monumentum draconi?
>>
>>697227
crap, dative was intended, but I thought it was -is

so yeah
monumentum draconi
>>
What resources should one use to learn ancient Greek?
>>
>>697302
the organon method and four years of suffering.
>>
>>695518
nigga what
>>
File: 1.jpg (245 KB, 893x635) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
245 KB, 893x635
>>698795
>>
>>697302
If you can find PDFs of the ATHENAZE textbooks, they're pretty good learning tools. The books have a LOT of translations, (90% of them written by the authors of the book but theres some based on Herodutus and some New Testement exceprts) which is a surefire way to brush up on your skills. they have a few flaws, namely not officially distinguishing the Fourth declension nouns as separate from Third, but any mongoloid could make the distinguishment on their own.
>>
Paedicatores estis
>>
I've taken 4 years worth of Latin in US high school but I haven't translated Latin in almost 2 two years because I'm a STEM major now. I believe my grammar is still intact for the most part but I barely remember any vocab that wasn't used extensively in De Bello Gallico or the Aeneid. Where should I learn Latin vocab from? I no longer have my high school texts with me.
>>
>>700663

http://hiberna-cr.wdfiles.com/local--files/downloads/Diederich-Lodge-Practice.pdf

I found this document. Apparently he went through some manuscripts, counted all the words, and picked out the 1300 most common ones.
>>
>>699302
Jesus Christ it feels like I'm reading a tumblr blog
>I'm an indicative passive pluperfect singular first, dont h8 pls
>>
File: learn my pronouns slavlord.png (67 KB, 866x559) Image search: [Google]
learn my pronouns slavlord.png
67 KB, 866x559
>>701193
If you think Latin's bad with that, try something like Tsez.
And I don't just mean pic related.

They have something like 64 different locative cases, and about a million other pointless inflections.

If you ever get discouraged, remember: some Muslim potato farmer out there knows a language 100 times harder and less useful than Latin.
>>
>>700215
Si nos pedicatores, tu pedicatus.
>>
File: 1367290716791.jpg (246 KB, 677x782) Image search: [Google]
1367290716791.jpg
246 KB, 677x782
Anonus probus non est, Anonus est puer improbus!
>>
I've never been taught Latin, but I have a question.
How much did Latin evolve over the centuries? Would it be comparable to, say Old English and modern English? If so, what kind of Latin are people generally taught? Early or Late?
>>
>>701193
NEWFAGUS ?
>>
>>701178
Looks good. I like how the author organizes the words. Thanks, Papa Johns.
>>
>>701994
Rektus sum.
>>
>>687964
nah
>>
>>702120
Latin did indeed evolve a lot over the centuries. For example the middle ages Latin is called middlelatin and far easier than the ancient classical Latin (spoken by Cicero or Caesar), that is usually taught in schools.
>>
>>687964
Saying ego all the time is retarded kiddo, unless you want to put heavy emphasis on "I"
>>
Estne tibi pugio in tunica, an me tibi obviam fieri gaudes?
>>
File: arthur-schopenhauer.jpg (113 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
arthur-schopenhauer.jpg
113 KB, 1024x768
οι ανθρωποι τουτο του νημα, μωροι οντες.
>>
vir magnvs es
>pro te
>>
>>702471
*toutou tou nematos

>dicit nos stultos esse
>nescit gennetivum
>>
>>687987
Eh?
>>
>>706060

I'll come back and rephrase it in the imperative once I don't suck so much
>>
>>702669
Capisse erat pars consilii tui?
>>
>>706065
You don't need 'tu' either.

Reveni ad /pol/.
>>
bumpo
>>
I'm learning the non-finite forms and verbal nouns of the first conjugation now. I assume learning the other conjugations will come much quicker and then it will be smooth sailing from there on I hope.
>>
>>708580
yes
>>
>>708580
Yes. Until you meet all the irregular verbs. Felix fortuna, amice.
>>
>>708580
Also, latín verbal system is extremely regular if compared to other languages, like ancient Greek.

For example, perfect tense endings are the same for absolutely all verbs.

Gaude igitur.
>>
شاكو ماكو يا شباب

استمعت ان تكلمون عدة من اللغات

ت
>>
>>710031
Lingua saracenorum delenda est
>>
>>710031
Remove hanc linguam barbarorum; ea ibi habet nullus locus.

Occidite omnes saracenes, Deus vult.
>>
I been wanting to make a shirt that says "Make Rome great again"

Obvioulsy Fac Romam Magnam in some order, but I am not sure what would be good for "again", I am feeling Rursus or Iterum, but i am unsure what the proper word order would be.
>>
>>712530
Again: Rursus, iterum, denuo, denique.

Rursus: Original meaning is to go reverse.

Iterum: More neutral meaning, "a second time".

Denuo: Cover the previous meanings.

Latin is very flexible on the word order; for this frase it's like everithing would make sense. But if you want to go stylish, "break" words that usually go together, by putting a third word in the middle (literally, instead of "make Rome-great", "Rome make great".

Su you could say

Roman fac iterum magnam

But as I said, you can put those 4 words in any order you want, and the sentence would still make sense.
>>
>>714740
*denique means lastly, finally
>>
Cur iudaei arsi sunt?
>>
>>712530
You could use 'refacio' as 'remake', instead of using 'again'.

Romam facite magnam!
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.