[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /his/ think about the ethnogenesis of Romania? Does
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Castle-Romania.jpg (127 KB, 800x555) Image search: [Google]
Castle-Romania.jpg
127 KB, 800x555
What does /his/ think about the ethnogenesis of Romania? Does the official romanian theory stand? Or was Roesler right?
>>
>>68259
Romania interests me a lot but there does not seem to be much written about its origins (In English at least). I really want to know how the Latin (and eventually Romance) language managed to hold out in that area once Rome withdrew.
>>
>>68320
OP here.
I'm actually romanian, but any country would exaggerate some of their feats while intentionally omitting others, so /his/ seems a good place to ask, much better than /pol/ and their memes
>>
>>68404
Yes I am hoping someone has some good knowledge on the subject.
>>
Shame that I can't add anything to the discussion, I'm always interested in ethnogenesis theories.

Have a bump.
>>
>>68259
What is an example of a dacian substrate word in romanian?
>>
>>68320
there is actually a book call "A Brief Illustrated History of Romanians" in english
>>
>>69542
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Romanian_words_of_possible_Dacian_origin

These words basically.
>>
>>69619
OP here
I actually read that as a young child. I was referring to the period between the third and ninth centuries (roughly), some hungarian historians (with obvious motivations, but still interesting if one tries not to be chauvinistic) have openly stated there is no proof for daco-romanian continuity, even though there are obscure references from one of their own so-called Anonimus, chronicle-maker of "king Bela", also unclear which Bela exactly. Thank you for your help though, it means a lot to me
>>
>>68320
People adopt languages. Like how people today of Irish, German, Mexican descent speak English in the U.S., the same thing happened throughout history. Like how Hungarians are pretty much genetically the same as Czechs/Austrians, but speak a Uralic language. Slavs moved in and picked up the language that would become Romanian, and it expanded outside where the Romans originally settled. Modern day Bucharest was outside of the Roman empire.
>>
>>70031
so the slavs did not interbreed with the local daco-romanian population? Where did they pick the language from?
>>
>>70136
I never said there wasn't any mixing. But over the centuries any differences genetically were kind of bred out. Like Hungarians, for instance. In the year 1000 many Hungarians, especially the elite, would've clustered quite closely with western Eurasian populations, but nowadays they're just like other central Europeans, even though their language is different.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.