[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me understand Hegel!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
I'm reading the Phenomenology and I guess I'm not entirely sure exactly what is being said.

I'm up to the chapter on force; so I'm pretty early in the book. I'm using The Logic of Desire as a secondary, but I'd like a second source as well that maybe spells things out for me.

Like what exactly is he saying about absolute truth in the introduction and early chapters. Is he saying that we can know the thing in itself by studying its appearance, or is he saying that there is no such thing as a thing in itself at all and that we can only know appearances.
>>
dude
dialektik
lmao
>>
Did you get the lobotomy first, like you're supposed to?

Make sure to huff gasoline for 20 minutes prior to each reading session
>>
>>682058
Look up H.S. Harris's "Hegel's Ladder", which is a comprehensive two volume study of the entire Phenomenology. It goes paragraph by paragraph, and it spells out pretty anything you could spell out in every passage. You can find it on Bookzz, though, as a heads up, it's a .djvu and not a .pdf.
>>
>>684277
First
http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=64882FE39F5BBD10663F29EE99C51AD6
Second
http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=9DCC968C30948EEF4C56206FF8481367
>>
>>682058
Don't just start with the Phenomonology, you're not going to get anywhere. Read an introduction first. A Very Short Introduction to Hegel by Peter Singer is good.
>>
>>684325
He's already reading it, and couple chapters in, and using a respectable secondary introductory work. Why would he need Peter Singer's shitty short introduction?
>>
>>684365
i find it easier to read complicated philosophical works that way

this guy is having trouble, so maybe he should try reading something else beforehand?
>>
hi milo
>>
>>684379
He's having trouble because *Hegel is hard*. If he wants to understand Hegel, there's literally no other way than by having to work. A book from the "very short introduction" series won't help anyone who's reading through a primary text anyway; it's too short to comment on anything relevant.

A bigger study will help, but that means having to go through the text in piecemeal fashion, which is fine, just much more time consuming than one might prefer.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.