[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hedonism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6
File: IMG_0219.png (290 KB, 367x425) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0219.png
290 KB, 367x425
Why is hedonism bad?
Isn't the persuade of joy and happiness the goal of every human on earth? Wouldn't smug self satisfaction in one's own strength/intellect/purity be worse or more dickish than consumption and pursuit of physical pleasure?
Are anti-hedonist just cucks who don't like fun?
>>
File: 2.jpg (382 KB, 1728x2262) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
382 KB, 1728x2262
It's not that I don't want carnal pleasure...sometimes even to the point that it's very painful for me to not have it. It's just that God is more important.
>>
File: A.Goy.s.Life.jpg (517 KB, 1632x1088) Image search: [Google]
A.Goy.s.Life.jpg
517 KB, 1632x1088
>>681601
t. best goy
>>
>>681601
>Isn't the persuade of joy and happiness the goal of every human on earth?

Spending decades honing your art as a sculptor or refining your piety in a religious system is also a "pleasure". You can use word-games to define it that way. Doesn't change the fact that when people say "hedonism" they're usually speaking about retards in clubs who lack concept of anything but instant gratification, which becomes less "pleasurable" in the long-run when they hit 30 and realize they've wasted their youth.
>>
>>681601
Because it distracts from "god", or perhaps more accurately, distracts from obeying church authority.
>>
>>681647
Same thing, desu
>>
Isnt there a difference between pleasure and happiness?

Also something to be said about delayed gratification
>>
>>681622
Hello, Constantine.
>>
Everyone wants the good. There's the good of the material, which isn't so bad long as you don't force it, and THE good, of which other goods are a pale reflection.
>>
File: pasqualo.gif (19 KB, 235x217) Image search: [Google]
pasqualo.gif
19 KB, 235x217
>>681601
I think that personal satisfaction comes from a natural mix of suffering and contentment, and that exclusively pursuing "easy" pleasure is a form of escapism.
>>
>>681627
whoooa man thats like so deep
>>
>>681601
Hedonism is being a slave to items of which do not bring long term gain to your own pursuits. It's sensual attachment that stops you from moving forward in life.

>>681647
pic related
>>
>>681601
happiness is a byproduct of function and purpose
>>
>>681943
>moving forward in life
What did he mean by this?
>>
hedonism is "bad" because it leads to things like 'drug use', 'sexual immorality', etcetc..

truly though hedonism as a personal philosophy is weak. obviously enjoying pleasure and avoiding pain is a big part of any satisfying life but its more important to have goals (which are meaningful to you) to strive towards that will motivate and fulfill you. and let you stroke your ego ofc.
also, boredom is both way worse as a hedonist and more prevalent. also, hedonists masturbate too much.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.