[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
tfw no free will
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: 1453300313001.jpg (2 KB, 200x133) Image search: [Google]
1453300313001.jpg
2 KB, 200x133
tfw no free will
>>
>>681348
Ok. Does it matter?
I don't notice or care so whatever. Hell, it might make life a little easier pre-cognition or whatever
>>
Prove it
>>
stick a finger up your ass, why would a higher power ever want you to do that
>>
>>681365
Sex god?
>>
>>681365
now that's exactly what lucifer would say
>>
>>681365
What higher power
It's simply the deterministic brain doing it's things for us and making us think we have any influence
>>
>>681387
Okay but your thoughts and desires are molded by your experiences. Your brain automatically responds to events in a way that's influenced by events that occurred beforehand in your life. Therefore, you could say that your brain makes the choice that most closely alligns with your beliefs or opinions.
Now, would you want your brain to operate in any other way? For instance, imagine a scenario where a loved one falls in the water. You have the chance to save him/her by throwing a lifebuoy. Would you want to have the opportunity of letting someone close to you die? No, because that would be a horrible scenario for you and everyone involved.
I'm not sure if I expressed myself clearly, but I hope my sentence structure isn't too wobbly to understand.
>>
>>681553
Well I don't thing if you understand how deep the problem of free will goes, because we also have no influence on our experience and desires and all that.
Even irrelevant things like putting my hand up were deterministic and not my own choice
>>
>>681582
Hmm I see what you mean. I have to admit I've not really explored the issue that extensively. Could you recommend any books or essays on the subject?
>>
>>681582
Why is the decision to raise my hand at any moment purely deterministic?
>>
Did I ever need it to begin with?
>>
>>681683
Probably not
>>
>>681660
Not him but there are YouTube videos that give better examples. I'm also looking for some books about this so if you find some feel free to share them
>>
>>682272
if u wanna go serious:
oxford handbook of free will
>>
>>681357
It has important implications in the legal system. Punishment is always immoral.
>>
>>682353
How can punishment be immoral if we don't choose to punish?
>>
>>682353
Why is punishment always immoral? If it eases the suffering of the victims and actually has a deterring effect (provided that it does)?
Just in practical terms, in some circumstances, punishment seems morally acceptable.
>>
>>681387
You ARE your brain. Your brain is not some separate entity controlling 'you'.
>>
>>682472
Ya, but most people still have the illusion that they actually have something like a "choice" as an, that they could've acted differently if someone would turn back time.
>>
>>681582
Free Will by Sam Harris is ok. Neuroscientist, meditates a lot and took a bunch of lsd when he was younger.
Fun read.

For example, didn't know that an fMRI can predict your choices up to 7 seconds before you think you made that choice.
>>
File: 14501184034.jpg (20 KB, 470x366) Image search: [Google]
14501184034.jpg
20 KB, 470x366
OMG YOU ARE FUCKING RETARDED JESUS CHRIST SON OF GOD FREEDOM IS AN UNIVERSAL ABSTRACT JUST AS DETERMINATION HUMAN FREE DOESN'T MEAN ABSOLUTE FREEDOM FOR ABSOLUTE FREEDOM ONLY EXISTS IN THE ABSOLUTE THEREFORE ONLY GOD IS ABSOLUTELY FREE WE HUMAN BEINGS ARE SURROUNDED BY DETERMINATIONS WHICH ARE EQUALLY NOT ABSOLUTE IN THEMSELVES FOR WE ARE CREATURES AND OUR FREEDOM RESTS IN OUR CAPACITY OF WILLFULLY CONTROLLING HIGHER DETERMINATIONS OVER LOWER DETERMINATIONS SO WE SHARE SOME SIMILARITIES WITH DIVINE FREEDOM ONCE WE LET OURSELVES BE DETERMINED BY GOD WHICH IS ABSOLUTE FREEDOM RATHER THAN MATTER WHICH IS THE LOWEST FORM OF DETERMINATION SO SHUT THE FUCK UP THIS DISCUSSION IS ONLY ABOUT WORDS YOU GUYS CAN'T EVEN GO OUTSIDE YOUR OWN VIRTUAL REALITY AND TALK ABOUT REALITY YES I'M MAD
>>
File: didImissIt.gif (2 MB, 449x290) Image search: [Google]
didImissIt.gif
2 MB, 449x290
>>682495
calm down boy
>>
File: 512x512bb.jpg (33 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
512x512bb.jpg
33 KB, 512x512
>>681365
>>
>>681679
Because time is linear and already paved out. You don't know if you'll hold up your left or right hand, or maybe you do, but the point is that in the future, you've already done it and it's unchangeable. That's kind of one school of thought, another says that an entire other universe is created for each hand you hold up.
>>
>>682495
put the crack pipe down dickhead
>>
>>683191
Not created it already exists
>>
>>682353
Wrong. We would lock up hurricanes if we could.

>>681357
Doesn't. We don't know the future, so we have no choice but to live as if we have choices (^:
>>
>>682353
this is retarded

if there's no free will then we have no choice whether we punish or not, and I really fail to grasp how something can be immoral if we have no choice in doing it, or not doing it
>>
>>682495
We non-existent now
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.