[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/psy/ So, how about that psychology, huh. Is it really a science?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: S2_cerebellum_comparison.001.jpg (81 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
S2_cerebellum_comparison.001.jpg
81 KB, 1024x768
/psy/
So, how about that psychology, huh.
Is it really a science? If not, what is it?
>>
It's somewhat scientific, I suppose.
I mean, it grew out of medicine, which is empirical and practical, results-based first, and has a lot of Cartesian dualist baggage left over from the Enlightenment, but they do try.

As our understanding of human neurobiology increases, psychology will be reduced to the study of mental phenomenology.

This is really a
>>>/sci/
thread though
>>
>>6807
>no cerebellum
how the fuck would a slow zombie even be able to stand upright
>>
>>6807
It is becoming a harder science as neuroscience becomes more advanced, but right now it still depends too much on Freud and other similar hacks.
>>
Am I the only one who gets some serious spooks from Neurology?
>>
>>7130
In what way?
>>
>>6807
It's an academic meme.
>>
only psychotic idiots say it isn't a science
>>
>>7172
It really steps hard on the concept of individuality. I know this is probably just my ignorance of the topic but it makes me feel unsettled.
>>
>>7172
Different anon, but think about mind control, suppression of free will, and other nasty things THE GOVERNMENT will do to its internal enemies with all that neurological knowledge...
>>
>>7225
what, you talking about causality of stimuli to the brain > free will?
>>
>>7225
It just helps us understand what 'individuality' even is.

Things like 'individuality' and 'casuation' and 'agency' are just abstract constructs anyway.
>>
>>7225
>>7245
Oh for sure, it truly is frightening. Freud and his colleagues paved way for a bleaker future for sure.

Here's a real classic Halloween spook for you.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqSV72VNnV0
>>
>>7359
Eh, it's okay. He believes in his own words, his theories, his ideology.

That does not make all of it 100% correct.
>>
Not history.

Sage
>>
>>7821
See >>3384
>This board is dedicated to the discussion of history and the other humanities such as philosophy, religion, law, classical artwork, archeology, anthropology, ancient languages, etc.
>>
>>6807
Only 7K posts in and sub boards are already being created. Impressive.
>>
>>8283
>>6807
Not history
>>
>>6807
>>>/sci/
>>
>>8337
>>8374
Psychology is the child that neither /his/ nor /sci/ wants.
>>
>>8433
Then give it to /x/
>>
>>7799
He's not doing any believing.
>>
psychology should be on /sci/ unless we're talking about retards like freud as they relate to humanities topics. it definitely doesn't need a general
>>
I think you mean /ψ/
>>
The topic is not at all related to /his/, but it's most definitely a science despite what STEM majors may claim. Psychology is continuously evolving and so are its methods, and in the last few decades the field has made great steps towards becoming a scientific subject; a far cry from the pseudoscientific bullshit of the early 1900s. Unfortunately many people who aren't really familiar with the subject still think it's all about Freud and Jung etc. (some English lit. classes 100% subscribe to Freudian theory, for example) but psychology today is mostly based on research and scientific methods instead of theory/pontificating.
>>
>>10073
Sure, but the problem is /sci/ doesn't want supposed soft sciences.
>>
>>10347
That's understandable. As the field evolves even more hopefully that will change.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.